Start by marking “Cats on the Job: 50 Fabulous Felines Who Purr, Mouse, and Even Sing for Their Supper” as Want to Read:

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  85 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
True Tales of the Cuddliest Coworkers

Around the world, there are cats earning their keep. Some are mousers, like Princess, a black cat who works at Mill Ridge Farm's stables. Some are circus performers, like Tuna and her furry friends in The Amazing Acro-Cats. And some are even politicians, like Mayor Stubbs, an orange tabby who holds office in Talkeetna, Alaska.

In Cats on
Published October 6th 2015 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Cats on the Job, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cats on the Job

Jeanne
With adorable photographs and cute stories what's not to love? Definitely recommend to read this alongside a friend like I did.
NebraskaIcebergs
Dec 07, 2017 added it
Shelves: own
Before I started to blog, if you had asked me to name jobs that pets do, I could have named several … and all of them would have been related to dogs. Should I have even thought of cats, I might have pointed out their ability to catch rodent. Yet cats are much more clever and versatile that most of us give them credit. You just need to read Lisa Rogak’s Cats on the Job to discover not just one or ten but fifty ways that cats purr, mouse, and even sing for their supper. In her colorful and photo- ...more
Amber Polo
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Many dogs are honored for their jobs, so this is the cat lovers’ response. Cats on the Job introduces us to cats who work as circus performers, diabetic alert cats, security guards, music studio assistants, and, of course, bookstore cats. I personally thought the cat that taught dogs to search for missing cats was extraordinarily admirable. Many work in Japan, which may mean there are more unemployed cats in the US. A fun gift for cat lovers.
Rian Nejar
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pets, social
A lovely collection of stories of cats in gainful occupations amidst their human companions!

True stories of the crossing-guard cat Sable and the diabetic-alert cat Pippa show more than a little awareness of themselves and others in our feline friends. I've come to learn this in experiences with Lucy , who adopted my home and me, many years ago. Lucy is of course mistress of the home now.

While the book describes felines assisting humans, there are many instances of cats saving others, their hu
Ravencrantz
I received a free copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

I love this book. I waited two months for it to come in the mail, and it was well worth the wait. It's absolutely adorable, full of lots of pictures of adorable cats, and makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

My two favorite cats featured are Tama-san, the Stationmaster cat, and Ketzel, the composer cat. I had heard of Tama-san before, and mainly entered the giveaway because not only do I love cats, but one of my favorite fam
Ellen Pilch
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book to give an honest review on my cat themed blog, 15andmeowing.
I loved it! I had no idea there were cats in so many places from ships to train stations. I thought I knew about every famous cat, but I only recognized a few like Grumpy Cat and Matilda from The Algonquin Hotel in NYC.
I am impressed at all the research that went into this book. I highly recommend it for every cat lover. I guarantee you that you will learn something new.
Tisha Young
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
It's a book filled with cute cat stories and even cuter cat pictures. What isn't to absolutely adore??
Lisa
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-books
So cute! I loved this book about cats on the job! Highly recommended if you love cats!
Selena
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: cat lovers
For cat lovers everywhere.

This is about a bunch of the "professional" cats out there, from station masters to diabetic-care cats to hospice cats to actor cats, and all things in between. These are cats that, whether brought in for a purpose or having found their own, "work" for their kibble (but let's be honest, most of them would probably get food even if they weren't working for it).

The entries are short and are somewhere between informative and tongue-and-cheek. If you like cats, you'll like
Maria Shuffit
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
After reading the wonderful but somewhat sad book by Gwen Cooper about the last days of the famous blind feline Homer, I knew I'd want a funny or uplifting cat book to help ease my literary feline feelings. This book definitely hit the spot! It was interesting and humorous, citing examples of real-life working cats. From the common barn cats to the more unique cat who serves as mayor, each entry includes an informative page or so about the cat and plenty of pictures. A great, light read for cat ...more
Julie H.
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cats on the Job: 50 Fabulous Felines Who Purr, Mouse, and Even Sing for Their Supper is the book equivalent of the movie Babe. In other words, you could have a terrible day and come home to this book and be right as rain in no time. The stories are sweet, the photos adorable, and the assorted kitties behind the stories are just an amazing little gift from the universe to the people, other animals, and communities they serve. What a happy, happy read--thanks so much, First Reads Giveaway folks!
Jess
Jan 16, 2016 added it
When I spotted this book on the new release shelf at the library how could I leave it there?

I quickly grabbed my treasure and went to the librarian to check it out and she laughed. She said she put that on the shelf not20 minutes before and she couldn't wait for somebody to take it out!
Super cute and funny this book shows cat lovers and haters alike that these furry freaks are useful and adorable!
This book is guaranteed to get you smiling!
Laura Ruetz
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So...anybody who knows me knows I love cats so it isn't a big surprise that I bought this book. If you are a cat lover, this is a must have. It is full of stories of cat's on the job, if you couldn't tell from the title. It has stories of cats on the job, from store cats to model cats, and yes...grumpy cat is in the book. Each cat gets a few pages and has multiple pictures showing them in action. The book is well written, humorous and lighthearted and the photographs are simply divine.
Paula Ackley
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For all the humans that enjoy the company of cats this is a great book. For all the humans that think cats can never be more than a pet this is a great book. For all the humans who don't like cats (boo, hiss, hiss) this is still a great book. Cats on the Job: 50 Fabulous Felines who Purr, Mouse, And Even Sing for Their Supper shows just how special cats are. But, those of us who have (or had) cats in their lives already knew that! Great stories, great pictures, and a joy to read.
Mehsi
A fantastic fun book about cats and their jobs. Did you know their is a cat that helps with teaching? Or a cat that travels for a travel agency? Or fire-fighter cat? And then there are 47 other jobs that cats are doing. Often with just one example, but sometimes with more!

Definitely would recommend this book! It also has amazingly cute photographs. <3
Barbara Newell
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5
Deborah Takahashi
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I got some great ideas on finding employment for my kitties! Great pictures and amazing stories from some amazing felines!
Lisa Morrow
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all cat lovers
Recommended to Lisa by: won it in a Goodreads giveaway
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway from the publisher. This is a must-read for cat lovers! This book is an informative, fun read full of candid shots of cats on the job. I loved it!
Katey Bassett
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was given this book for a Christmas present and much to my surprise I enjoyed the quick read very much and was happy to find one of the featured cats was from a store in Shelburne Falls, MA.
Amanda
Aug 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Purrfect for cat people. Wonderful photographs!
Diane
Shelves: first-reads
Such a cute book
Mel
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you like cats you'll enjoy this fun book....some of the pics make you smile.
Heydi Smith
Jun 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: cat-books
A fun read about cats and their various occupations. My felines and I had a great time perusing this book.
Mar
Ashley
Mar 15, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Miracle Dogs: Rescue Stories
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: What I Learned from the Cat: 101 Stories about Life, Love, and Lessons
  • Felines of New York: A Glimpse Into the Lives of New York's Feline Inhabitants
  • Dog Shaming
  • I Am Maru
  • My Old Dog: Rescued Pets with Remarkable Second Acts
  • The Hedgehog's Dilemma: A Tale of Obsession, Nostalgia, and the World's Most Charming Mammal
  • Cat, You Better Come Home
  • A Dickens of a Cat: And Other Stories of the Cats We Love
  • Cat Miracles: Inspiring True Tales of Remarkable Felines
  • Adopting the Racing Greyhound
  • Underwater Puppies
Lisa Rogak is the New York Times bestselling author of over 40 books on a wide variety of topics, from writers and their cats to sabbaticals to cemeteries in New England.
Through the years, in addition to writing books on an almost-schizophrenic range of topics, she has published newsletters and books, started a greeting card company for dogs and cats, bought and sold vintage funeral equipment, and
More about Lisa Rogak