Start by marking “Deadpool Classic, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Deadpool Classic, Vol. 1

Deadpool Classic, Vol. 1

(Deadpool Classic #1)

He's the Merc with a Mouth, the Assassin with Elan, the Wryest Wisecracker of the Weapon X Program, now in a collection of his earliest sagas Deadpool, with sidekick Weasel in tow, sets out on a quest for romance, money, and mayhem - not necessarily in that order - only to learn he's being hunted by an enemy he killed years before As if that isn't enough, the Juggernaut cr ...more
Published May 7th 2008 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Deadpool Classic, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadpool Classic, Vol. 1

Start your review of Deadpool Classic, Vol. 1
Sean Gibson
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Okay, I admit it—I just don’t dig Deadpool all that much. I’ve tried—honest. And, here and there, in small doses, I find him mildly entertaining. But, reading this collection—some issues of which I read lo those many years ago when they were first released—I just can’t work up more than a “meh” shrug in response. I do find the idea of Deadpool—a murderous mercenary whose healing powers keep the cancer that’s eating his body at bay, but with the side of effect of making him one hideous, giant, re ...more
Dirk Grobbelaar
This collection represents the first appearances of Deadpool: first in non-Deadpool series', like New Mutants and later in his own series. As a result the book gets off to a shaky start. The first half runs a gamut of lesser known Marvel characters and throwaway villains (none of whom are particularly interesting, with the possible exception of Slayback). It's a disjointed affair, especially the first New Mutants entry, which actually ends on a "to be continued" note, and since the follow up iss ...more
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
One Valentine not so long ago, I decide to surprise my husband with a movie on IMAX.
He played and loved the the Deadpool games, so there I was subjecting myself - for the very first time - to the Merc with a Mouth
I FELL IN LOVE!!!

And if one falls in love, one has to read all the comics - OBVIOUSLY!
Deadpool

This first Volume was not that impressive, it was the earlier phases, and you can see that.
It's compiled out of:

New Mutants #98
New Mutants #98
Writer: Rob Liefeld, Fabian Nicieza
Penciller: Rob Liefeld
Cover Artist: Rob
Nicolo
This digital trade collects; Deadpool's first appearance, two early miniseries, and the first issue of his first monthly series. This is a great collection because these stories are hard to find and new readers drawn to character from watching the Ryan Reynolds would want to read the earliest Deadpool stories. This brings the questions why the early Deadpool appearances from Rob Liefeld and Fabian Nicieza's X-Force isn't included here. The fact that Deadpool has become Liefeld's signature charac ...more
Sesana
Oct 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
I love Deadpool. Back when I was buying five or six comics a week (this was the late 90s, mind, so most of those were X books) Deadpool was the one that I was always most excited for. It was also the last one that I dropped when I got fed up with all the crap. I still have a special fondness for him. So it gives me some pain to rate this collection at only three stars.

It's kind of a weird collection, actually. It includes Deadpool's first appearance in New Mutants #98, the Circle Chase miniserie
Chris
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel, deadpool
This book collects four separate Deadpool stories, allowing the reader to get a feel for how the character was introduced and how he developed. As they are all very different I have reviewed them individually.

New mutants #98 by Rob Liefeld and Fabian Nicieza

This is the first appearance of Deadpool a comic. It's nothing special really. He is a mercenary villain hired by Mr tolliver to kill Cable. Deadpool fights Cable and Cannonball. He loses and is posted back to his boss. There are a couple o
Aaron
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Deadpool, Marvel Comics' "merc-with-a-mouth", underwent some evolution in this, a collection of his first appearances following his introduction in 1991. First he's in a single issue of New Mutants with a contract on Cable; by the end of the issue, Cable has defeated him and literally FedEx'ed him back to the villain who put out the hit. Then follow two miniseries from 1993 and 1994, and it finishes with the first issue of Deadpool's ongoing series from 1997.

I say he evolved, because in his init
Lex
This ranges somewhere between a three and a four, so I'm rounding it up to a four because it's Deadpool and he's my ultimate fave. <3 ...more
Richard
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Joe Kelly at the end saved this from being a 2 star. Excited to read more of Joe Kelly's work.
Chris
Well, that was disappointing.

Back in the day when I regularly read X-Men comics and those about their splinter groups, Deadpool was one of my favorite supporting characters.

This is actually a good illustration as to why he made a good supporting character. That is, not a focus character.

This volume includes New Mutants #98, the first two Deadpool miniseries (The Circle Chase & Sins of the Past), and the first issue of the long-running Deadpool series.

The New Mutants issue was one I enjoyed back
B. P. Rinehart
This book is as good an introduction to this 4th wall destroying character as you would get. This was a good comedic comic book and I look forward to reading more of the character (and yes I saw the movie this weekend, it was hilarious).
Patrick
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've always enjoyed reading the first appearances of my favourite superheroes. There's something special about seeing where it all began. Have they changed a lot since their debut? Have they remained relatively unchanged since the beginning? In the case of Deapool, it is without a doubt the latter. He's mostly heartless, overwhelmingly silly, and just a little bit noble. And that's pretty consistent with every iteration of Deadpool I've read over the years.

The first story, although the shortest
Herman Gigglethorpe
Jul 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
This is an odd comic to review. I like the character of Deadpool, since he's always cracking jokes while fighting enemies, is aware of the narration, and is willing to betray anyone at the drop of a hat.

However, this collection is plagued with many of the worst parts of 1990s comics, especially in the New Mutants issue that introduced Deadpool. If one hasn't read a lot of X-Men comics (and I haven't), you'll be confused as to who exactly these musclebound mutants are. Many asterisks point out "
Labyrinth Rossiter
Deadpool takes the mercenary archetype seen in Deathstroke, the Weapon X theme of Wolverine, and Spidey's mouth PLUS, and we end up with a very unique character. I love him! I wasn't able to read The Circle Chase, but I was able to read Deadpool's debut in The New Mutants, setting up his long history with Cable, and the series with Banshee and Siryn. Banshee has always been a favorite of mine. My "BFF cat" is named after him, and Wade's relationship with Banshee's daughter, Siryn, adds something ...more
Derek
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Deadpool was Deadpool right from the start and that's a very good thing. Despite some brutal mid-90s art from penciler Ian Churchill, this is a collection that's utter mayhem and fun from start to finish.
Nate
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Deadpool didn't come to prominence until I had stopped reading comics in my late teens and didn't pick up again until my late 20's. Loved the movies so much, I had to check out the books. So cool, but really picks up toward the and and then in Volume 2 we're pure gold.
Cody Ruble
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
3 stars feels a little harsh.
The art is really good except for the Deadpool first appearance in the New Mutants Issue.
Had a hard time getting into the book but once I kept going I definitely got more into it.
Fun book though
Dustin Reade
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A solid intro to the character, though the first bit is a middle issue of a New Mutants run that picks up in the middle of a story that doesn't get resolved here. After that we get the four issue Deadpool series, "The Circle Chase." Deadpool is obnoxious and funny, he insults people and kills people. The book ends very strong with a Sasquatch story that starts a new series which is continued in the next book.
Solid.
Baba
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
The 'Merc with a mouth's' first adventures... nothing to see hear! 5 out of 12.
Collect The New Mutants #98, Deadpool: The Circle Chase #1-4, Deadpool (1994) #1-4, and Deadpool (1997) #1
[image error]
Bryan Robbins
Deadpool is about an antihero who gained his superpower to save his life, but lost something more important, his looks. The art style is in the classic American comic style there is lots of intense shading and close up shots. The characters are dynamic and round, they have deep backstory and also change as the story progresses. Deadpool takes place in modern times, each edition has a separate conflict. I would recommend this comic
Koen
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Oehhh, now that was one hell of a ride!! :D
Hoping the next volume kicks as much @$$

btw... Love that 80-90's trash talk and artwork !!
David Dalton
A fun volume to read. Classic Deadpool action and quips. Thanks to Comixology Unlimited I can check out a few other early Deadpool collections. Fun to read and enjoy for a little bit. Not too heavy on plot, just action all the time (and a million one-line quips).
John_H92
Oct 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Very cool, action packed stories with great art but then the last issue, the first by Joe Kelly happend and it was a little jarring I found. Also the art was so different from the rest of the stories, I just couldnt take to it. Other than that, it was a great and fun read.
Kate
Nov 05, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the recent Hawkeye vs. Deadpool and also Night of the Living Deadpool, although I wasn't huge fan of Deadpool: The Ones With Deadpool... Tiger gave me this to read, and I'd put this somewhere in between.

About 3/4 of this collection were comics drawn in a style that reminded me of the 80s or 90s, where the hero (Deadpool, is he really a hero?) is drawn with such massive muscles it's almost laughable. The final collection was a little more modern in art style. The comics cover a little
Juushika
Including his first appearance (in New Mutants #98), two miniseries, and the first issue of the his ongoing series, this is a non-exhaustive but perfectly satisfactory introduction to Deadpool. The art is inconsistent at best--the New Mutants issue is drawn by Rob Liefeld, and "mutant" is taken as an excuse to disregard anatomy throughout--but the printing and editing are fine. The writing never excels in either depth or humor, but Deadpool himself, even this early in the game, is just what the ...more
Edna
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
"The New Mutants" issue isn't something necessary to read. It doesn't really give much Deadpool and it was in the middle of some (boring) arc with other characters. "The Circle Chase" was confusing to me because there a lot of characters I didn't know and a lot going on. I didn't care for the storyline either. However, this was my first introduction to Vanessa Carlysle aka Copycat and Wade's best friend Weasel–both characters are appearing in the upcoming Deadpool movie. "Deadpool" (1994) was ok ...more
KayeC Jones
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who's a fan of Deadpool.
Add my name to the Liefeld haters, though I refuse be venomous about it. I admit the world's a more interesting place because of him. But I still love this collection. I love Deadpool! I gave this four stars because of Liefeld. Unfair? Maybe. I know he only did a portion of this collection, but he leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Side note:
I find it interesting that Liefeld was (is?) so popular. His style is so... odd. The million toothed mouths, the ridiculous expressions that don't match the cur
Jeff Raymond
I don't recall what it was that got me intrigued about Deadpool. I had passing familiarity with him based on one Ultimate Universe trade with Spider-man way back, but that's the extent of it. Putting aside that he's a creation of Rob Liefield, I do get why Deadpool's appealinh now, although I'm not sure as to whether he's appealing to me.

This volume of the collected Deadpool is a pile of his earliest issues, including his first solo arc. The early stuff is very rough around the edges, and it's n
Leonard Anthony
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome introduction to anyone who wants to read Deadpool. You get DP's first appearance in the pages of New Mutants #98, his first four-issue miniseries (The Circle Chase), his second four-issue miniseries, and finally issue #1 of his regular series that started in 1997 (the rest of which are collected in succeeding volumes of Deadpool Classic trades.

Note that the New Mutants was drawn by the universally-panned Rob Liefeld (well, maybe not universally; he still has fans, Stockholm-s
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Deadpool: Suicide Kings
  • The Inhumans
  • Deadpool, Volume 3: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
  • Deadpool, Volume 1: Dead Presidents
  • Batman & Robin, Vol. 1: Batman Reborn
  • Deadpool, Volume 2: Soul Hunter
  • Spider-Man/Deadpool, Vol. 1: Isn't it Bromantic
  • Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe (Deadpool Killogy, #1)
  • Thor by J. Michael Straczynski, Volume 1
  • Deadpool Kills Deadpool (Deadpool Killogy, #3)
  • Black Panther by Christopher Priest: The Complete Collection, Vol. 3
  • Wolverine
  • Wolverine: The End
  • Negan Lives #1
  • The Superior Spider-Man, Vol. 5: The Superior Venom
  • Deadpool: Sins of the Past
  • Spider-Man/Deadpool, Vol. 3: Itsy-Bitsy
  • The Woods, Vol. 3: New London
Fabian Nicieza is an American comic book writer and editor who is best known for his work on Marvel titles such as X-Men, X-Force, New Warriors, Cable and Deadpool, and Thunderbolts, for all of which he helped create numerous characters.

Deadpool Classic (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Deadpool Classic, Vol. 2
  • Deadpool Classic, Vol. 9
  • Deadpool Classic, Vol. 10
  • Deadpool Classic, Vol. 11: Deadpool: Merc with a Mouth

News & Interviews

“Juggernaut: All right. Get the Doc to work -- now. Before I change my mind.
Deadpool: Wow. Whaddaya know? LOGIC stops the Juggernaut!”
9 likes