Start by marking “Carter & Lovecraft (Carter & Lovecraft, #1)” as Want to Read:
Carter & Lovecraft (Carter & Lovecraft, #1)

Carter & Lovecraft

(Carter & Lovecraft #1)

The start of a thrilling supernatural series that brings the H.P. Lovecraft mythos into the twenty-first century, optioned by Warner Bros TV.

Daniel Carter used to be a homicide detective, but his last case-the hunt for a serial killer-went wrong in strange ways and soured the job for him. Now he's a private investigator trying to live a quiet life. Strangeness, however, ha
Published October 20th 2015 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about Carter & Lovecraft, please sign up.
R. Andrew Lamonica The problem with writing a story where there are "terrible secrets that man was not meant to know" is that you have to walk a very fine line between…moreThe problem with writing a story where there are "terrible secrets that man was not meant to know" is that you have to walk a very fine line between leaving the reader unsatisfied and killing the mysterious dread by explaining things. The mysterious shadow in your room loses all its power to frighten you when you turn on the light and see that is it just a shirt you had forgotten you had hung on the door. It seems to me that Mr. Howard might have turned on the light a little too brightly. He certainly turned in on brighter than H.P. Lovecraft was prone to.

The first few chapters are all mystery. They do a great job of building suspense. But, then, the book proceeds to offer at least 1 answer to an old mystery for every new mystery. The X-Files, this is not. Even the villains get to have their say, which demystifies them quite a lot.(less)

J.L.   Sutton
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable read! While I’m not always satisfied with Lovecraft’s writing, I’ve been geeking out on Cthulhu Mythos for some time. Jonathan Howard’s Carter & Lovecraft is not the first novel I’ve read which evokes Lovecraft and his tales (Charles Stross’s The Laundry Files immediately comes to mind). The Laundry Files features espionage undertaken by a low-level civil servant (along with a large dose of humor). I was never quite sure how to classify the odd reality which found its w ...more
Dan Schwent
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, lovecraftian
After his partner killed himself at a crime scene, Dan Carter quit the police force and became a private investigator. When a man he never met leaves him a used bookstore in Providence, Rhode Island, Carter meets Emily Lovecraft, his new employee. A string of impossible deaths plunges them into a web of insanity that might destroy the world...

I got this from Netgalley. Fuckin' A!

First off, I've never thought H.P. Lovecraft was a great writer and I enjoy other writers' takes on his concepts more
Bradley
What a cool surprise!

Modern sensibilities, Cthulhu Mythos, Urban Fantasy, Cthulhu Mythos, and even enough modern references and even math geekiness and Cthulhu Mythos to satisfy the most jaded INVESTIGATOR. :)

Nom nom nom nom...

Oh, wait, this isn't the RPG game! This is a new and theoretically ongoing series! How awesome is that? AND this duo might be gracing the tube, too? Yeah. This sharp tale pulls all the greatest story developments and classic build-ups of the Cthulhu Mythos with its lobster
Johann (jobis89)
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
“He couldn’t see how you could share the shit out of somebody with math, but it seemed you could.”

Daniel Carter is an ex-homicide detective, now a private investigator, who inherits a bookstore in Providence from someone he’s never heard of. Then people start dying in mysterious ways, and while Carter doesn’t want to be involved, he’s beginning to suspect that someone else wants him to be.

Holy moly! This was the exact kind of read that I needed after finishing The Alchemist. Going back to my hor
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
Daniel Carter, ex-homicide detective, but now the private investigator is quite surprised when he learns that he has inherited a bookstore in Providence from someone he has never heard of. Emily Lovecraft is surprised and not so happy about it, she is the manager of the bookstore, and have been that for the last seven years since the owner of the bookstore disappeared. She is also H.P. Lovecraft's last descendant. Lovecraft, the man who wrote stories about the Great Old Oles and the Elder Gods. ...more
Sean Gibson
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you’ve ever seen the movie Stranger Than Fiction, you probably spent the first half of the movie waiting for Will Ferrell to do something funny, and then being confused and thrown off when he doesn’t, save for the occasional bit of being-Will-Ferrellness that he can’t help but exude, which sometimes imbues moments that are not necessarily intended to be comedic with a sense of mischief and lightness.

Then, a funny thing happens—you stop waiting for Ferrell to be funny and realize that, even t
Char

Carter & Lovecraft is an imaginative novel based on characters that are the descendants of H.P. Lovecraft, (real author), and Randolph Carter, (a fictional character created by Lovecraft.) I liked it!

I read this as a buddy read and this story makes for a lot of fun discussion. There were some intriguing character deaths that kept the reader engaged and there were also quite a few mysteries to puzzle out.

My one complaint is the cliffhanger ending-I hate that! Plus, not only did it leave the
Althea Ann
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Trepidation was my main feeling going into this book, after reading the description. It sounded intriguing, but it also sounded like an awful lot could go wrong, with the Cthulhu Mythos meeting the modern paranormal-investigation/urban fantasy genre.

I'm pleased to report that not only did Jonathan Howard pull it off, this book far exceeded my expectations.

Dan Carter is a private detective in the classic vein, a bit lonely, a bit damaged from his previous experiences on the police force - especia
Lata
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can I just say how much I loved Emily Lovecraft? Smart, well-read, profane, tough, funny, not easily impressed, and just a wonderful character! Dan was interesting, too, but I suspect Dan was interesting because of his interactions with Emily. Their conversations made the book for me. I want to spend time with Emily, chatting about books. And find out what happens next with them and with their town, and who the heck is the guy pulling their strings.
Ivan
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read more than few books where potentially good story was lessened or ruined by bad writing, it's not often I see opposite. Story of Carter and Lovecraft would probably be solid, 3 star worthy paranormal detective tale but with Howard's writing I got more fun from this kind of book than I normally would. This isn't parade of wit and dark humour like later books from his Johannes Cabal series but cleaver writing made this more than just another Lovecraft mythos inspired story. I also like that ...more
F. Paul
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read a advance copy of this. So much Lovecraftian fiction misses the point. You want to shake the author and shout, 'Weren't you paying attention?' Jonathan L. Howard gets it right and offers a delightfully original (and non-Euclidean) twist on the mythos and H.P. Lovecraft himself.
Jack +Books & Bourbon+
3.25 solid & slightly insane stars!

I have such a soft spot for Lovecraft inspired stories, regardless of whether they take place on screen, on page, or in any other form really. From “The Thing That Should Not Be” by Metallica, to the Cthulhu themed wallpaper that haunts my desktop background, I’ve always been fascinated by H.P. Lovecraft’s godlike creations; the power they have, the madness they instill, and the few heroic (or foolish) enough to stand against them.

So of course I’ve had Car
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, mystery
Let me start by saying that I might be a bit biased. H.P. Lovecraft's ideas have that effect on me and it's a joy when someone takes them to a whole new level. It happened here.
That being said, Carter & Lovecraft is an extraordinary addition to this genre. I am trying to articulate what is exactly that Jonathan L. Howard has done here. I loved it.

This wonderful book with such an unassuming title hides an incredible story of an ex-cop who sees something inexplicable in the beginning of the st
Lindsay
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
After an horrific serial killer case with more than a touch of the weird, detective Daniel Carter becomes a private investigator. He also inherits a property from someone he's never heard of, and on investigation, discovers it's a rare bookstore run by Emily Lovecraft, a descendant of the Lovecraft the writer. Carter gets dragged into an investigation of an impossible death and discovers links to things in his own past.

The plot hums along with lots of Lovecraft references. The interactions betwe
Emma
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
3.5 stars rounded down. An enjoyable easy read and modern take on the Lovecraftian tradition. I believe this was written for tv or taken up for tv and it read a little like that to me.
Steve

I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was very well written, very intense, and a very fun read. I'm not very familiar with HP Lovecraft's writings and mythos, but knew enough to be able to follow the thought processes in this book. I'm sure there was some that was over my head.

That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Along with the elder-gods mythos, there was almost a noir-like atmosphere to this book. I'm definitely looking forward to the next vol
Oscar
El detective privado Dan Carter, que dejó de ser policía tras el suicidio de su compañero en el momento en que atraparon a un asesino en serie, recibe un buen día una herencia inesperada. Se trata de una propiedad en la ciudad de Providence, pero cuando Carter acude al lugar, descubre que en realidad es un negocio en vigor, una librería regentada por Emily Lovecraft, una joven afroamericana, última descendiente del famoso escritor. Al mismo tiempo, empiezan a ocurrir una serie de extraños, impos ...more
K.J. Charles
I really liked this modern take on HP Lovecraft's world. Dan Carter and Emily Lovecraft are brought together by a peculiar will and weird happenings, and things take an extremely warped occult turn in the full Lovecraftian mythos. It's a fantastic idea with atmosphere so intense you can chew it and a wide range of horrible fates inflicted on people. Dark, sinister stuff with a proper sense of cosmic your-mind-will collapse-like-wet-paper horror. Highly enjoyable.
Shadowdenizen
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Weird Fiction/Lovecraft fans, Crime-Noir novel fans
Recommended to Shadowdenizen by: Netgalley
I was introduced to the works of HP Lovecraft (and his circle) at a very young age, and my abiding love of weird/Lovecraftian fiction has stuck with me through the years. As a result, I've read alot (A LOT) of Lovecraft homages, pastiches, sequels, prequels, and themed anthologies.

But typically the worst of the worst in the Lovecraft genre (whether it be film or books) is the hoary premise of "Lovecraft's Descendents must safeguard the world from the Mythos".

Which is why this book by Jonathan L.
Tom Mathews
My thanks to the folks at the Horror Aficionados group for selecting this book as the February audio group selection, this giving me the opportunity to read and discuss it, and many other fine books, with others.

I really enjoyed this book. It provided a good mix of horror and comedy that reminded me of the old TV series Kolchak: The Night Stalker. The interpersonal dynamic between ex-cop turned private eye Dan Carter and antiquarian bookstore manager Emily Lovecraft is perfect, very enjoyable.
Jason
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2015
5 Stars

Carter & Lovecraft by Jonathan L. Howard combines some of my favorite genres as well as one of my favorite heroes and puts them together into one awesome read. This is a hardboiled mystery with a main hero and P.I. named Daniel Carter who tries his best to not be a stereotypical gumshoe.

Carter & Lovecraft is the second novel that I have read by Howard and I was a fan of his after reading The Necromancer. This book is a detective story that centers on everyone's favorite H.P. Love
Mindi
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Gah, I am so behind on my book reviews! It seems like it's been forever since I read this, but it really hasn't. All rambling aside, I really enjoyed Carter & Lovecraft.

Part hard-boiled noir, part weird fiction, this book is a fitting homage to the Lovecraft mythos. It has all the things that I love about Lovecraft, and none of the things I hate. Howard thumbs his nose at H.P.'s penchant for racism by giving him a fictional African American descendant (Emily Lovecraft), who also happens to b
Christine
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-reads
Daniel Carter is a homicide detective wrapping up the “Child Catcher” serial killer case. The perp is sitting, gut-shot, in the corner bleeding out but with a big smile on his face while Charlie Hammond; Carter’s partner, puts his service revolver to his own head and pulls the trigger.

Nothing could possibly explain what happened in that room and Daniel resigns from the police force to hang out his shingle as a private investigator. He is quite content for a while handling divorce surveillance un
aPriL does feral sometimes
'Carter & Lovecraft' is a fun science fiction (?!?!) mystery, but I was most impressed by the modern snap (21st century) of the dialogue in this movie-ready action story written by Jonathan L. Howard. The conversations of characters throughout the novel crackled with Howard's comeback wit and implied American English comic vocal emphasis sounds only actors and writers with that ear memory can do. Because I think the dialogue DOES often reflect for comic effect certain recent emphasized sylla ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well...what to say here? I happen to be a fan of H.P. Lovecraft's horror. That said, I'm not sure how Mr. Howard thinks/feels about him. I mean the book is based on the Cthulhu Mythos but...

Okay first, Howard Phillips Lovecraft was a racist. No argument from me on that, his letters etc. bear that out. He was an early proponent of the eugenics movement that grew through the early 20th century. So, "racism bad". That said, it doesn't mean that his stories weren't good.

Here we are left in no doubt
Lea

I think I would have enjoyed this one a lot more if I'd been more familiar with H.P. Lovecraft's works. I love this author's Johannes Cabal books, so I'm disappointed I didn't like this one more.

Still, interesting characters and an intriguing plot kept me reading, and I'll probably check out the next book in this (probable) series.
Wart Hill
I absolutely loved this. It's strange and bizarre and freaky and wonderful. And Emily Lovecraft is a phenomenally fantastic character and I adore her.
Lena
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lena by: Horror Aficionados Audio BOM

"'What is that?' She said it in a faint tone of complaint. As if to say the universe was simply being unreasonable now and she would like a return to some sort of decorum."
- Emily Lovecraft (channeling a little Scully)

Oh my that ended well! I want to read more Lovecraft immediately!

Daniel Carter, a Bostonian ex cop(view spoiler), inherits an Antiquarian Bookstore run by Emily Lovecraft, HP Lovecrafts sole descendant. Murde
Latasha
this book was a lot of fun. from the giggle worthy chapter titles to the interaction with HPL's mythos, it's all fun. then the ending? dun duh dun! my favorite part was Waites' Bill. Those Waites women!
Wing Kee
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5! A slow build up that hooks readers wonderfully in the end.

World: The tone of the book was a bit choppy for the first part of the book until the bookshop, I think one part was hard boiled detective and the bookshop was lighter slice of life banter supernatural genre fare and that kinda was a bit choppy for me at first. However, the book does settle down eventually and find’s it’s own groove and this world is an interesting one. It reminds of Charles Stross, Peter Cline and even TV shows lik

• I Am Providence
  • The Sea of Ash
  • Firewalk (Recondito #1)
  • The Rim of Morning: Two Tales of Cosmic Horror
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Miskatonic Monstrosities (The Cthulhu Casebooks, #2)
  • Sword & Mythos
  • Hammers on Bone (Persons Non Grata, #1)
  • The Brotherhood of the Wheel (Brotherhood of the Wheel, #1)
  • Subversion: Science Fiction & Fantasy Tales of Challenging the Norm
  • The Book of Cthulhu II
  • The Litany of Earth (The Innsmouth Legacy, #0.5)
  • Children of Lovecraft
  • Yesterday's Hero (Arthur Wallace, #2)
  • That Which Should Not Be
  • Hang Wire
  • The Broken Ones
  • Ground Zero (Repairman Jack, #13)
  • Inspector Hobbes and the Gold Diggers (Unhuman #3)
Jonathan L Howard is a game designer, scriptwriter, and a veteran of the computer games industry since the early 1990s, with titles such as the 'Broken Sword' series to his credit.

After publishing two short stories featuring Johannes Cabal (Johannes Cabal and the Blustery Day and Exeunt Demon King) in H. P. Lovecraft's Magazine of Horror, Johannes Cabal the Necromancer was published in 2009 as his

Carter & Lovecraft (2 books)
  • After the End of the World (Carter & Lovecraft, #2)
“I trained as a librarian, and I run a bookstore. Fucking right I can use a gun. ... if I have to engage somebody between the counter and the door, only the political autobiographies are in danger and who gives a fuck about those?” 9 likes
“I trained as a librarian, and I run a bookstore. Fucking right I can use a gun.” 6 likes