Start by marking “Quicksand (Nora Khalil, #1)” as Want to Read:
Quicksand (Nora Khalil, #1)

Quicksand

(Nora Khalil #1)

The beginning of an engrossing new suspense series featuring Philadelphia policewoman Nora Khalil

Officer Nora Khalil is used to navigating different terrains. As part of a joint task force set up by the Philadelphia Police Department, the FBI, and the local sheriff’s offices, she works to keep Philly’s mean streets safe from gang violence, while trying to honor the expecta
Published September 29th 2015 by Forge Books (first published September 22nd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Quicksand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quicksand

Start your review of Quicksand (Nora Khalil, #1)
Jaclyn
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Quicksand is a short, satisfying thriller that caught my attention for two reasons: lady investigator, and a lady investigator of Egyptian descent (i.e. diversity).

Officer Nora Khalid is part of a joint task force with the FBI in Philadelphia where their main goal is to help keep the streets safe. When a young girl is murdered in what appears to be a gang-motivated killing, Nora and her team are called to investigate. Soon after, another young woman is brutally murdered, which indicates to the t
Melliane
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Mon avis en Français

My English review

I expected a lot while starting this novel but it’s true that I definitely did not expect that. This is not an easy book to read, and the author wasn’t easy about all the difficulties she has inserted in her book but that’s also what’s fascinating here.

We discover a heroine that we do not necessarily have the habit of seeing. Nora is an Egyptian-American who made her little way in the police and tries to be strong if front of the ones who don’t think she is
Terry Gibson
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Quicksand by Carolyn Baugh
Wow! I couldn’t put this book down; I loved it.Quite a short novel; 215 pages, but definitely my kind of book; a literate, interesting, fast paced story and the main characters, a team of FBI agents were well rounded people, not shallow figures, without substance, like in some thrillers. I could really relate to the main detective and heroine, Nora Khalil, a Muslim girl with family problems. I believe she is featured in other novels by Carolyn Baugh. If so, I will defin
Sarrah
Oct 25, 2018 marked it as netgalley
Provided by #netgalley.

Not the best execution of thriller/mystery/police procedural. I wanted to like Nora because of her interesting job and even more interesting background, but the book fell flat for me and I have not investigated the second in the series.

#quicksand
L.E.Olteano
Originally posted at Butterfly-o-Meter Books on Nov 3 , 2015:

In a Flutter: Interesting
Fluttering Thoughts:
Worldbuilding: The Kingsessing, Philadelphia setting was interesting, certainly tense in terms of cultural clashes and general tension.
Characters: The MC, Nora, was an interesting character, but one I didn’t really get all the way. I admired her efforts, considering she had to overcome some cultural obstacles in order to do what she was doing (and wanted to do), but I didn’t get why those sa
Marika Charalambous
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Book review can be found on my blog at http://mysterysequels.com/quicksand-b... ...more
Sam
Very strong start to a new series.
I particularly liked how the author balanced the revelation of Nora's backstory and work/life relationships with developments in the case they're working.
Ivy
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Left my SFF comfort zone behind completely to read this, but that’s the point of a book club, right? Try something new.

I ended up liking this book more than I would have thought. I usually don’t read mysteries, and as soon as the first mutilated corpse showed up I was ready to put this on the “NOPE” shelf. I can deal with demonic sorcerers being bad, or wicked aliens. Evil humans—-well that’s just not entertaining.

The writing was quite good, though, and it’s always interesting to read a story fr
Lois
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
More like 3.6.

This police procedural features an ensemble of police and FBI working to deal with street violence in Philadelphia. And what looks like a drive-by shooting sets off a complicated community story.

Nora Khalil, protagonist, has to find her footing in the task force and in her family. Well-handled family dynamic.

Nice banter with the officer who likes her as she keeps him at arm's length for personal and professional reasons.

Definitely would like to read more in this series.
Natalie
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
I struggled through this book club selection. The Hallmark Movie Channel may pick it up if they delete all the 'Criminal Minds' violence. I don't think the author knew whether he wanted to give his readers a bit of schmaltz and playful banter or violence and gore. A lot of reviewers liked the Nora Khalil's character. I could not get into her. Sorry.

An interesting note: The other reviewers who rated it 1 star or 2 stars couldn't even be bothered to write a review. Maybe they thought it was a wast
Emily
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Philadelphia setting, new series

I really enjoyed this debut with an interesting twist on a police procedural featuring an athletic female Muslim protagonist working a case involving the police and FBI task force.
Sherry
Oct 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Quicksand is the first in a new series featuring Nora Khalil, a Muslim-American policewoman. While liaising with the FBI in Philadelphia to investigate gang activity, including the murder of the young sister of a gang leader by the head of a rival gang, Nora’s task force is called in to investigate the murder of a young immigrant Muslim woman found dead in an alley in gang territory. To solve these crimes, Nora has to work within a community terrorized by gangs as well as within a Muslim communi ...more
Bill
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-publisher
Philadelphia policewoman Nora Khalil is an interesting character. Her parents are Egyptian refugees. Her mother is dead, but her father expects Nora to live the life of an Egyptian Muslim, but Nora is more concerned with her job than her religion. One of the most important job skills she has is her ability to connect with the Arab population in Philadelphia. She can speak the language and knows the customs, therefore she has a better chance to engage with them and win their trust.

Nora Khalil is
The Book Adventures
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, diversity
Read Jaclyn's full review at The Book Adventures

Anne Martin
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book which made me wonder about its possibilities. How hard would it be for a devout Muslim to work as a police officer? Certainly not easy... If Nora really was a practicing Muslim, I would say impossible.
Nora is between a rock and a hard place. Her father finds it hard to accept his little girl working with men, without special privileges, especially when she does not want to meet the groom candidates her aunt has selected for her. Nora just wants to do her job, nothing else! Wh
Pretty Sassy Cool
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 stars.

This book is the first installment in a series of stand-alone books about a bright female detective. Nora Khalil is an Egyptian-American Muslim that has just been moved from the PPD to the Safe Streets Task Force. While she is adjusting to her new co-workers and workplace she is also trying to find a killer before the next victim turns up.

As soon as I picked up this book, I fell in love with Nora Khalil. She is so smart and driven. Yet even though she deals with such grueling cases, she
Katherine  Downey
I received this book free through goodreads giveaways.

Julie Mink
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
An excellent start to a fast paced mystery series and an interesting look into the Muslim culture. Nora Kalil is a Philadelphia Police officer working with the FBI and Sheriff Department on the Safe Streets Violent Gang Task Force. Her Egyptian American background gives her a unique insight in working with some of the Muslim people involved with their investigation. This background also creates problems with her father who unlike her. was born in Egypt and believes in the more strict tenets of t ...more
Denver Public Library
Dec 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: becker
A solid start to a new mystery series featuring Nora Khalil, a Philadelphia police officer assigned to work with the FBI's Safe Streets Task Force. Khalil brings many skills to the table, including her background as a track star and her knowledge of Arabic languages and Islamic culture. She brings all of these into play when the task force starts investigating several murders that look to be linked to gangs, and lead to more crimes involving human trafficking and sex slavery. Action packed, with ...more
Mickey Hoffman
Dec 09, 2015 rated it liked it
I ended up liking the book less than I thought I would when I was 1/3 of the way through. There were a few characters, members of rival gangs, who were mentioned but not given enough presence for me to really fix on who they were. The main character is very interesting and the cultural aspects of the story are immersive and will get any feminist riled up. I really dislike any book where a person is being tortured or mistreated and the author lets the reader share in the torment. In this book, es ...more
Feb 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, contemporary
Liked this one a lot - especially the character of Nora, whose ability to think fast comes across as wholly authentic (in other words, she's not Jason Bourne in a ponytail). Her world is gritty, but she never gives in to the negativity; that's not to say she's naive or overly optimistic. Instead, she navigates her world - as a woman, as a Muslim, as a police officer - in a way that doesn't compromise her integrity.

The mystery is interesting, but not quite as compelling as watching Nora deal wit
Janet Kickel
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a good police mystery about a young woman who was Egyptian and on a joint task force in Philadelphia. She had to overcome the usual problems a women in police work has to solve but she also had to abide by the customs of her religion (Islam ) and the customs of her Egyptian family. I really liked this book. It was fast paced and I liked the addition of the family dilemma. It was not a great piece of literature but great for some easy , exciting reading.
Chris Noel
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nora Khalil is a Philadelphia police officer who is assigned to an FBI joint task force to deal with gangs. She is a Muslim of Egyptian decent & her traditional father and her own beliefs complicate her life. When a new gang run by Somalis that are dealing in human trafficking and sex intrudes on the more traditional gangs, Khalil's Muslim background and Arabic are useful. By the end of the book, Khalil is planning to apply to the FBI. This is to be book 1 of a new series. ...more
Jackie
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways, mystery, crime
I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway. Clever title. I liked the main character in this story: An Egyptian female police officer working on a task force in Philadelphia. She has a difficult time reconciling her Muslim background with the violent work she does. Drugs and sex trafficking result in some brutal killings. Hoping for some more stories about her.
Arlette Mooney
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
A different type of investigator, a different type of hero, a young Muslin, Egyptian woman working for the Philadelphia police and working with the FBI. An engrossing, fast paced, thriller involving gang wars and sex trafficking.
Lauren
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
The book was awesome. I think it was a bit enlightening to the Islam religion, especially from a woman's point of view. I thoroughly enjoyed Nora and her strong personality. A definite recommendation!
Edward Smith
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very entertaining book. Main Character is a Muslim female Philly Cop who is assigned to an FBI Gang Task force. Thought the issues surrounding a Female Muslim agent from a traditional family were handed very deftly and did not diminish the story but added more depth to it.

A good beach read.
Donna Foster
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review
* Received this ARC in exchange for my honest review *

A twisted tale of mystery rich in culture.
Nancy
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I enjoyed this book, and look forward to more in the series.
Jennifer Neumyer
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great new detective novel from point of view of American Muslim detective and the intricacies of working between two cultures.

• Have a Little Faith: a True Story
  • The Foundation Trilogy (Foundation, #1-3)
  • Passing
  • Blackout (Doug Brock #1)
  • Ash Island (The Belltree Trilogy, #2)
  • Protected by the Shadows (An Irene Huss Investigation)
  • Safe Houses
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
  • Playing with Fire
  • The Marrow of Tradition
  • Hard Cover (Marc Portman #3)
  • Coffin Road
  • First Frost (Detective Jack Frost Prequel, #1)
  • On Target (Gray Man, #2)
  • A Well-Timed Murder (Agnes Luthi Mysteries #2)
  • Malice (Detective Kaga, #1)
  • Country Dark
  • Full Curl (A Jenny Willson Mystery #1)
In addition to being Associate Professor of History and Arabic at Gannon University in Erie, Pennsylvania, Carolyn Baugh is a mom to two girls who constantly surprise her, and a devoted dog-owner to Carmen the Mutt.

She holds a master's degree (2008) and a PhD (2011) from the University of Pennsylvania in Arabic and Islamic Studies. Her academic focus has been gender issues in early Islamic law. A

Nora Khalil (2 books)
  • Shoreline (Nora Khalil #2)