Start by marking “The Wheel of Time Companion: The People, Places and History of the Bestselling Series” as Want to Read:

(The Wheel of Time reference)

Brandon Sanderson stated on Twitter that Harriet McDougal, Jordan's wife and editor, is creating a comprehensive Wheel of Time encyclopedia, to be published after A Memory of Light.
Published November 3rd 2015 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Wheel of Time Companion, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Bookdragon Sean
Dec 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those that have read the entire series
Shelves: 3-star-reads, fantasy
I’ve recently started reading book three after a break of around six months between books. I read a lot, so when I revisit a series after such a length of time, I also forget a lot. It’s only natural. So this book was a massive help to me.

I remembered the plot of the previous books fine; it’s just the character’s names that eluded me and their past. I recall the main cast fine, but the minor ones, the ones that appeared a few books ago or only in a single chapter escaped me completely. This is
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
So far, I'm not terribly impressed. There are no pronunciations--NONE. And the majority of the illustrations are fairly low quality, especially in comparison to the very few that are good. And outside the extreme main crew, the featured secondary characters seem arbitrary, with a distinct lack of MANY crowd favorites.

YES. I am bitching about the lack of pictures. Don't advertise the "awesome" pictures if you don't want people bitching about how not awesome they are. I mean, bloody hell . . . Ca
Matthew
Since its debut in 1990, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series has captivated millions of readers around the world. Over the course of fifteen books and millions of words, Jordan created a rich and detailed world. Yet only a fraction of Jordan's imaginings ended up on the page, with the rest going into his personal files.

The Wheel of Time Companion finally reveals a wealth of previously-unreleased information about the world of the Wheel of Time, as well as expanding on many known details.

The Com
Claudia
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: WoT fans and only them
Although WoT is my favorite fantasy saga of all times, this encyclopedia was a tedious reading (and I hopped a lot through it). Written in a dictionary style, has all the names (of characters, cities, objects, etc) written alphabetically, with few (or more) words on each. From time to time, a portrait or a map turns up and gives a little 'colour'. And despite the fact that the illustrations are much better here, scarce as they are, I still liked better The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of T ...more
[redacted by S.H.I.E.L.D.]
Nov 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
So, not only where the press/ads/what have you for this book complete and utter bullshit, it turns out what they did give us is poorly edited, filled with contradictions and alright false info. Basically, someone printed out a wiki and is selling it as a book. I might be slightly less pissed off if this had been a GOOD glossary(and that's ALL it is), but it's a sloppy badly edited cash in. My disappointment is infinite.
Justin Watson
Nov 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
All this is is a big glossary with a few things expanded upon. the previews they gave are very very misleading making one thing there would be articles on different aspect of the story somewhat akin to the 97 companion, which bad art aside is much better then this thing. I am sorely disappointed in this one.
Zoe's Human
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: want
An extremely handy reference to have on hand for a reread of the series or a particular book. Do NOT use if you haven't completed the series. As they warn in the introduction, it is loaded with spoilers.
Michael
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
It pains me to rate this TWO Stars. I absolutely adore The Wheel of Time. I began reading this series at age 14 and finished it at age 34. These characters are so real to me as I have grown up with them dancing across my imagination.
I was super excited to hear about this Companion edition to the series. What ended up being released is just an oversized glossary. I thought this book would get special treatment sort of like what Subterranean Press does with their special limited edition books. The
Antoinette Arnold
Nov 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
I love the Wheel of Time series, but I feel cheated after having bought this book, if I could I would ask for my money back. It is supposedly an encyclopedia, but is nothing more a glossaries, and the descriptions that are given are not complete. Encyclopedias as you know they give comprehensive explanation. There is absolute no new or in-depth information here; it just repeats what you have already read… Seriously!
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I read the encyclopedia for fun as a kid. This book is like an encyclopedia for the Wheel of Time books. So, to me: HEAVEN. It's a great (and old-fashioned, non-Wiki) way to keep everything in the series straight. And I think it does a good job of making a lot of details clear that were a bit glossed over in the books themselves.
Kelly L
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is a giant glossary. It is jam-packed with information, but don't say it's going to be an encyclopedia when it is clearly NOT. I really expected something more along the lines of the World of Wheel of Time from 1997 but expanded and with updated artwork. Calling it an encyclopedia gave me that expectation.

I'm very disappointed.
Thibaut Nicodème
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
YES YES YEEEES GIVE ME MORE.
Chris (The Genre Fiend)
Originally posted to Geek of Oz here.

---

The world lost a writing legend in 2011, when author Robert Jordan - born James Oliver Rigney, Jr. - passed away from amyloidosis, midway through penning the final volume of his decades-long The Wheel of Time series. While the story was eventually finished by Brandon Sanderson it was a bittersweet thing, especially since Jordan did not to live to see the end of his magnum opus.

Whatever The Wheel of Time's flaws - and believe me, there are a few - it was st
Josh
Nov 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Well, as others have mentioned, this is just a complete glossary of the terms and characters in the Wherl of Time. After looking forward to his since the release of A !emory of Light, I had expected and extensive, color artwork compendium with tons of new background information much like the 1997 World of the Wheel of Time. Instead this is just a bugger version of what comes at the end of every WoT book.

Hoping for loads on info on the Age of Legends? Not in this book. How about Forsaken back sto
Portelance
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway much to my enjoyment as I had already planned to purchase it. I must say I did enjoy it for what It is. Which is a companion to the novels. If as some reviews mention its is not giving full details and merely a glossary that may be because as mentioned it is a companion, not a book. If you want the full stories of characters, places, items etc. try reading the series at 14 books (which I highly recommend) I am sure you will find all the information you cou ...more
Jeffrey
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book a little bit ahead of publication date. Sometimes that happens.

I finished The Wheel of Time series a few years back (I believe it was 2013 or 2014 sometime, I forget which year; but I've documented all my Wheel of Time reviews.)

I haven't "read" this book, and that's because it's essentially an A-Z companion of the entire saga. One COULD read the book, cover to cover, AS a book but that's the intent for its existance.

So how can I review it then??

Because judging from the size, a
Rose
Sep 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is helpful for giving certain information, many things not contained in the actual stories themselves, but overall is kind of dry.

I'm not sure what went into the decision to have multiple entries to refer to certain individuals, usually with only one being the full entry and the other simply pointing to the first. Just keep the real entry and don't clutter up the book with duplicates.

I'm glad I went through it, but I'm not sure I gained much from it.
Josiah Mcfeeters
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
this is a must have for anyone who is reading WOT. It contains everything that you could need in order to keep a who's who in your head, learning the old tongue, or following characters around with maps of city's, village's, and battle fields.
Carrie
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2018, fantasy
It was okay. A good refresher if you need a refresher, but that's about it.
Scott Flicker
Ready for reread of the long and amazing wheel of time series
Shannon
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
First, I want to reiterate what others have said - this book is for the superfan and completest. Second, I'm reviewing this as a superfan and as a librarian who evaluates reference sources. It kills me to give anything related to WoT less than three stars. I was really hoping for a lot more information that didn't make it into the books. I was hoping for more information on secret rituals of all the Ajahs, where RJ got his inspiration for the different cultures he created, what the different acc ...more
Paul Weller
Nov 20, 2015 rated it liked it
I was kivcking around buying this in the time leading up to it's release. I decided to mainly because I know for a fact that at one point Drunk Paul was gonna buy it anyway, and I'd wake up one morning with a hangover and 3 new e-books, like you do. I almost (almost) wish that is what happened, so I didn't have to call this purchase a "sober decision".

Where to start? I was expecting a lot more in the realm of new artwork in this massive tome. Alas, it seems that they only commissioned at best 5
Jason Griffith
This is definitely a reference book rather than an actual story, so be aware of that going into it if you haven't read it already.

On the one hand, I really liked some of the extra information that was in here that was never expressed to us in the books. On the other hand, there was a whole lot of information in here that was obvious if you've ever read the books, so there was little value unless you've just taken an extended break from reading and need to refresh your memory as to who's who.

From
Ben Lund
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book is really just a collection of everything that is mentioned in the Wheel of Time series. It's funny to read some entries as they will say something like "(A)- a person Rand talks to outside of (X) city."

Some entries are more expansive and I spent a lot of time flipping from one entry to another, trying to fill in the blanks a get a more complete picture of the world as a whole. Where the book really shines is in the descriptions of different cultures. For example the Sharans, they are
Amy
I'm one of the officially licensed Wheel of time artists. I have already used this book multiple times to help me in my artwork, to make sure I am getting details right.

I am unable at this time to write a review, but no one would listen to what I say since I'm married to one of the authors, and the other 2 are dear, dear friends. I also know the hard work and careful consideration that went into creating this reference book. For readers, it will be a little like that proverbial elephant being ex
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was a huge fan of the Wheel of Time series years ago. My friends and I used to sit around and chat about which type of character we would be and practice cursing: "By the light!" I also gave up on the series years ago. I felt like there was too much trivia thrown in when the fate of the world rested in the balance.

But I confess, I did miss some of the characters and I always wanted to find out how everything tied up in the end. Not enough to go and read five or six huge books, but I always won
Cassandra
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I didn't read this book as much as I flipped through the pages, read entries about my favorite characters and the Forsaken, and looked at the pictures and maps.

I seriously can't express how much I really love this companion book. It's a million times better than that previous book that was made. This book has an entry for EVERYTHING. Like there were multiple entries for things that had several names. Not only that, but there was like a page and a half of Lini's sayings, and several pages that de
vaderbird
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Insane to think I can read this and say yes I know much of this.

Just wish we had a where are they now version. Like a glimpse 10 years ahead.

Still was fun to go through every page and read. Also was interesting to see the strength ratings of power.

In hindsight after playing with it over the weekend, I think the only interesting item that I gained most was the strength of power. I wish they also talked about skills with weapons etc... To have true comparisons.

Sadly the book is so large and filled
Diane Heath
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
May be more 3 1/2 stars than full 4. It is a dictionary giving alphabetical listing of characters, places and events. Similar in some respects to the glossaries at the end of each book in the series. The introduction warns of spoilers as reading this book summarizes the story. One drawback is the repetition of events in varied entries. Some places or people are listed twice (first and last name or last name and first name)...One could wish for answers regarding post book events but there are non ...more
Margaret
Really rather disappointing, especially in view of the price point. It's being marketed as an encyclopedia, but really it's more of a very long, overly detailed (and occasionally inaccurate) glossary, with very little information that's not covered in the books themselves. I was skimming by the end.
Goodreads Librari...: Merge two editions 3 31 Jan 26, 2015 11:50AM
  • Dragon Age: The World of Thedas Volume 2
  • The Wheel of Time Roleplaying Game
  • The Witchwood Crown (The Last King of Osten Ard, #1)
  • J.K. Rowling: A Bibliography 1997-2013
  • Requiem (Psalms of Isaak, #4)
  • Dragon Age: The World of Thedas Volume 1
  • Spiderlight
  • Last Flight (Dragon Age, #5)
  • Ghosts of the Tristan Basin (Powder Mage, #0.8)
  • 10 Ways to Recycle a Corpse: and 100 More Dreadfully Distasteful Lists
  • Irish Farmers
  • The Compleat Discworld Atlas
  • Weird New England
  • Unfettered (Unfettered #1)
  • Warheart (Sword of Truth, #15; Richard and Kahlan, #4)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
  • The Penitent Damned (The Shadow Campaigns #0.5)

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to

The Wheel of Time (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1)
  • The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2)
  • The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
  • The Fires of Heaven (Wheel of Time, #5)
  • Lord of Chaos (Wheel of Time, #6)
  • A Crown of Swords (Wheel of Time, #7)
  • The Path of Daggers (Wheel of Time, #8)
  • Winter's Heart (Wheel of Time, #9)
  • Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, #10)