Start by marking “Fairest, Volume 5: The Clamour for Glamour” as Want to Read:
Fairest, Volume 5: The Clamour for Glamour

Fairest, Volume 5: The Clamour for Glamour

(Fairest (Collected Editions) #5)

In this new epic, refugees from Fabletown have returned to New York's Castle Dark, and Reynard, now able to shapeshift from fox to man, travels the mundane world to regale the animals with tales of his exploits, rubbing the other Fables' noses in his good fortune. Frustration at their restriction to the Farm threatens to become a issue once more! Can the animals find a way ...more
Paperback, Trade, 144 pages
Published August 25th 2015 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about Fairest, Volume 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fairest, Volume 5

Start your review of Fairest, Volume 5: The Clamour for Glamour
Sean Gibson
Jun 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Reading this after finishing the core Fables series was a little bit like eating some stale bread at a gourmet restaurant right after you threw a juicy steak and some delicious chocolate torte down your gullet. Or, like shaking hands with someone after engaging in copious amounts of fornication in manners strange, wonderful, and forbidden with them.

In other words, it just felt a little off. As I’ve made abundantly clear, I love Mark Buckingham. The guy’s an amazing artist, and THE artist on my f
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015
Requesting and getting volume 5 in a series I haven't read before (well I think I may have started reading this series, but stopped reading for some reason) may seem to be a bit foolish and I was a bit worried that I wouldn't understand much and have trouble getting into the story.

But when I started reading this one was it hard to stop reading it. I will just read a couple of pages...oh the first issue is already finished?

I made a heck of a lot of screen caps, but I don't want to spoil the fun
Shannon
Reynard the Fox creating problems. Lots of trouble on the Farm.

Overall, a fun and light read but not as high quality as the original series.

OVERALL GRADE: B.
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, netgalley, arcs
Firstly, it's weird this came out after the final Fables, so it's out of order. Second, isn't Fairest supposed to be about the women of the Fables universe? NOT the animals. Though I will grudgingly admit it handled the muddy world going magical better than the end of the Fables comics did. The only part I actually liked was Goldilocks being her usual bitch self. But it was the Scottish bears I loved best. Sassenach! ...more
Quentin Wallace
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was another good volume of Fairest, mainly because it was basically a volume of Fables in disguise. It's also the last volume in the series. This one involved a "glamour lottery" for the animal fables living on the Farm where a few of them would get to be glamoured as human for a while. Of course, things never work out as planned. Reynard the Fox also has a new adventure (and a kid, long story) and a few interesting mundy characters are introduced. We also get to see what Goldilocks had bee ...more
Baba
In which the non-human Fables demand 'Glamours' to make them look human; In which cunning Fox Reynard is seen to be not so smart in his Glamoured human form; In which the last Farm story is told; In which the fate of Goldilocks is decided. The last Farm story and it's written by Fable artist Mark Buckingham! It's OK, but you can see how it was agreed that he couldn't use any of the main characters. I do like how Mr Sunflowerhead is the narrator though, a nice touch! The sad thing about this volu ...more
Gieliza
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars!

What. The. Hell. Well, ok, Reynard's story was entertaining if a bit implausible. But overall this didn't really add to my Fables experience. The only significant section is the one at the end about Goldilocks since it ties up to another story arc. Otherwise, I could've done without this. Also, I thought Fairest is supposed to be about the female Fables? This one definitely isn't. There's so many female Fables that they could've chosen for this final volume and they decided to feature
Jasmin Chua
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
And verily did the Fables saga end, not with a bang but a long drawn-out fart.
Csenge
Dec 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am so happy Reynard got a story in this. It was absolutely adorable. In fact, all tales in this were adorable, and well told. I am going to miss this series so much.
Sverre
Of the five volumes of Fairest this is the only one that comes close to the the creative quality of the original early Fables books by Willingham & Buckingham.
Seizure Romero
Jan 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: completists.
OH. MY. GOD. That was painful. And it added almost nothing to the ongoing narrative.
Emily
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
I probably waited too long to read this, but I could kind of follow where it was in the larger Fables timeline. One of my complaints toward the end of the main series was all the back and forthing with plotlines. There were only two plotlines in this one, and I was still jerked around every couple of pages.
I also thought it was bollocks that Meghan’s uncle and cousin were horrible and abusive at the beginning of the book, but then portrayed later as really loving her and secretly getting a surp
Kris Ritchie
Jan 22, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics, meh, flip-and-skip
Sigh, the Fairest series just bounces all around in terms of quality.

Again, we get a largely male-focused arc where the women are either players or plot points and not capable of any agency in the story. If that's what I wanted I would have kept reading Jack of Fables, which also got pretty terrible in the end.
Mohammad Aboomar
Quite a stale finale to a stale series.
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
I have mixed feelings about this book. Aside the whole fact that this book was released after the end of the Fables series despite the events in this volume happening before the end, there are two major issues with this book. Now, mind you, I enjoyed the story of glamour and the animals wanting glamour, but wasn't this series meant to focus on the women of Fables and explore their backgrounds?

The first book revolved around Sleeping Beauty and to a lesser extent the Snow Queen, and was the best i
Baal Of
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Well that was bland and hackneyed. I'm never a fan of stories that feature pregnancy, and this one doubled-down by making it an accelerated pregnancy, which wasn't fast enough to not irritate me. The way that Mehgan just jumped not only into bed with Reynard, but also into an entire life on the run was completely unbelievable, even given this is a fantasy story. Her brother and father were initially presented as complete assholes, and then the author pulled a 180, making them actually nice and c ...more
Tera
Jun 03, 2015 rated it liked it
No idea why but this volume didn't keep my attention like the previous ones did. Not sure if it due to where the story line was going or if my focus just wasn't there. Personally I'm thinking its due to both problems. Hopefully future volumes will be back to the previous amazing caliber and will be much more interesting to read again.
arc from NetGalley
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
Huh. As far as endings go, this wasn't a great one. There were some good stories in the Fairest series - this one wasn't one of them.

However, I did love Mrs. Pussy Cat and Mr. Web (not together, mind you) - they're small stories were woven into the larger plot, and their characters were sweet and heartbreaking.
Casey
Aug 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
This was kind of a disappointing wrap up to the Fairest series. All the other stories in this series have been about the kick butt ladies of Fabletown and this one was about Reynard and the wrap up story for The Farm.
Morgan
Sep 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
This volume was aright. It has it's funny moments and it's well drawn. However, Vertigo/DC decided to publish this after the Fables #150. The timeline in this volume is a little jumbled. I'd say read this before #150 and after Fairest in all the Land. ...more
Holly Hand Grenade
"I've never seen that before. I swear! It's a plant!"
"No, dear. You're a plant. That's a book."

So....this series is kind of pissing me off. Yeah.

This installment (again) does not focus on any female Fables characters. Why? I just...don't understand. I will reiterate the tagline printed on the back of each graphic novel in this series:

THE WOMEN OF FABLES IN A SERIES ALL THEIR OWN.

But...no? ::sighs:: This volume is dedicated in the most part to the Fables that are not human and forced to live on "
Eric Leeson
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it
The need for freedom and the ability to be unrestricted is now part of our society, but many are forced by circumstance to remain located geographically in a small area. This was the way of life for centuries until the industrial revolution when people started leaving and moving to find better work tat allowed for a more than subsistence lifestyle. Other circumstances, such as being a minority, also led to isolation, this naturally causes some to chaff under restrictions placed upon them "for th ...more
JP
Nov 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Of all the the ways for Fairest to end, Reynard knocking up a random mundie girl, a murder mystery among the non-human fables, and the final tale of Goldielocks was not where I expected it to go.

It's a pretty good story though, all told. One of the best recent ones.

Spoilers/images:

Fairest-5-1

It's funny because fairy tales.

Fairest-5-2

Suddenly fox baby. Don't worry, this can't possibly turn out badly.

Fairest-5-3

Oh yeah, remember that? That was a long time ago. Poor Mary I guess.

Fairest-5-4

Goldilocks is perhaps the strangest charact
Callie *Fights Censorship*
Most of this story is narrated by Mr. Sunflower and takes place over 2 months around the time that Bigsby is frozen by Brandish. The narrative flows between the happenings at the farm as animal fables are demanding the glamours that Charming promised, and Reynard's excursion into the mundy world where he falls in love with a human.

Everything about this story was great, we got to spend time with some lesser known characters instead of reading the train wreck that is Red and Snow.

The only low poin
Adam
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Greg
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked Reynard’s story away from the Farm better than the titular storyline. I struggled to again fully understand what made this Fairest vs. Fables. This was also the first time I thought the reading order I got on a website failed me a bit. I think this got just slightly ahead of where I was in Fables. I definitely liked the final issue which was sort of a prequel to the Fairest in All the Land storyline featuring Goldilocks, one of my favorite characters.
Chloe
Oct 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
Ok honestly this has no right to be under the 'Fairest' heading, titles that are supposedly all about the female fables. This one, in theory, was about Rose Red. In reality, Rose appears on approximately two pages and instead we get a story about sleazy Reynard seducing an innocent and naive farm girl who has had next to no experience with men. I am both mad and disappointed. ...more
Brian
Aug 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, comics, m
This is my least favorite of all the Fairest volumes. It felt like a dumping ground for final Fables stories. Why were the main characters all men? I thought the purpose of this series was to highlight the women of Fables? Also the writing is not that great. It’s unfortunate that the series went out on such a whimper.
Erica
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
maaaaaybe 3.5 stars....only due to the fact that the lesser known animal fables get a spotlight...however, AGAIN - thought Fairest was supposed to be about the FEMALES of the Fables universe, yet we get plotlines revolving around males. LAME.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Fables, Vol. 22: Farewell
  • Fables, Vol. 21: Happily Ever After
  • Fables, Vol. 20: Camelot
  • Fables, Vol. 19: Snow White
  • Jack of Fables, Vol. 9: The End
  • Cinderella: Fables are Forever (Vol. 2)
  • Fables, Vol. 18: Cubs in Toyland
  • Fables, Vol. 15: Rose Red
  • Jack of Fables, Vol. 7: The New Adventures of Jack and Jack
  • Fables, Vol. 13: The Great Fables Crossover
  • Fables: The Wolf Among Us, Volume 1
Born as Mark John Buckingham May 23, 1966 in Clevedon, United Kingdom. He initially started working professionally on strips and illustrations for a British satire magazine called The Truth in 1987 where he first worked with Neil Gaiman illustrating some of his articles. His American debut came the following year as inker on DC Comics Hellblazer, taking over as penciller from issue 18.

Some of Mark

Fairest (Collected Editions) (6 books)
  • Fairest, Volume 1: Wide Awake