Start by marking “Breakaway: Beyond the Goal” as Want to Read:
Breakaway: Beyond the Goal

Breakaway: Beyond the Goal

Get inspired to be your best—in sports and in life—with this uplifting memoir from star soccer player and Olympic gold medalist Alex Morgan that includes eight pages of full-color photos as well as book jacket that doubles as a poster!

As a talented and successful female athlete, Alex Morgan is a role model to thousands of girls who want to be their best, not just in soccer
Published June 2nd 2015 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Breakaway, please sign up.
Story Yes, there is an AR, Accelerated Reader, quiz for this book if you have to do AR for school or something.

Lola
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was excited to read a sports memoir about soccer from a gold medalist female athlete, but although the multiple messages inside are positive and worth sharing, the condescending tone of the author made it impossible for me to finish this. It felt like it was written for 8-year-olds who were seeking advice on every page. A lot of ''As I've mentioned before...'', ''Like I said...'', ''Unlike you've…'', ''Don't...'', ''Do...''

It simply got on my nerves. Can't say I'm surprised this didn't become
Kyle G.
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. usually I don't like biographies because they are boring but I liked this one more because it has to do with sports.
Maddie
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was super inspirational! I recommend it!
Paola
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Football is one of my biggest passions...which is why I was beyond shocked when I found out Alex Morgan's memoir was about to come out and I had no idea! In case you don't know, I've been following the USWNT since I was a child. Football was kind of taboo for women when I was younger so I got very attached to the women's team as a way to be like "See? Women are into sports! And they're amazing! Football is not just for boys!"

But anyway, back to Morgan.

Since we're roughly the same age (I'm a ye
Kaitlin O
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The autobiography Breakaway by Olympic gold medalist Alex Morgan writes about her life from the very beginning to the end. She tells the details and does a great job telling about herself in a very interesting way. This book has got me wanting to know more about her, because I am a big soccer player and personally want to be like her when I grow up. She is a great roll model and in the book she gives real pictures of when she was a kid. Alex Morgan is an AMAZING soccer player but also an amazing ...more
Hailey
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Alex Morgan her Breakaway beyond the goal. Alex Morgan; living her life long dream, playing professional soccer for the woman nation team. She inspires many young athletes including me. This wonderful book, makes you believe you can accomplish anything you want. She wrote this book about her inspirational/ determined life. She set many goals for herself...
- Play with the Woman's National Team, done.
- Score a goal in the World Cup, done.
- Lead the US to an Olympic gold metal, done.
She said " She
Emilia
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Avery B
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was a great book about Alex Morgan's life and her soccer career. It was super inspiring! I definitely recommend this book if you are a fan of Alex Morgan, or a soccer fan.
Anna Barber
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book really helps motivating me to practice everyday to become really skilled in soccer so one day I can turn out like Alex! I really enjoyed the journey in this book and being able to look at her point of view on things!
Sadie
Apr 24, 2017 added it
Alex Morgan is a professional soccer player on the U.S.A women's soccer national team. In this book it tells about her ups and downs and her journey getting to the national team. One negative thing in this book was when she tore her ACL when she was 17 years old. Another negative things was how in 2011 they lost the World Cup against Japan. Two positive things were that her and her team won the olympics in 2012 and how in 2012 again they won the World Cup for the first time. I really really real ...more
Fiona
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think that this book was a great autobiography! Alex Morgan made the book interesting, while telling her story and challenges she had to overcome. I liked this book mostly because it was about soccer and that's my favorite sport, but I also loved hearing her story. Now every time I see Alex Morgan whether its on tv, or a magazine, I feel like I know her story. One thing I think the author did well was giving a lot of comparisons of challenges that she overcame that are relatable to the reader.
Liz Hoffman
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-teen-books
I really liked the author and appreciated how hard she worked to become one of the best soccer players in the world. I just don't think I'll put this on my recommended reads for teens because it seems to go from one game to another and it's not for someone not currently following soccer. Also, I didn't really like the affirming paragraphs at the end of each chapter, it broke up the narrative for me.
Amy
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss-arc
Alex Morgan writes a combination memoir / advice book aimed at encouraging teens to pursue their dreams. It's like Soul Surfer: A True Story of Faith, Family, and Fighting to Get Back on the Board without the constant references to god.

While some readers may find Alex's tone a little condescending and her advice contradictory at times (you're a winner! except for those times when you aren't!), I think my seventh grade readers will want to read -- and will enjoy -- this book.

First, I have a lot
Abby
Mar 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Alex Morgan knew she wanted to be a professional soccer player by the time she was eight years old. She practiced every day with her dad and was on multiple soccer leagues. Alex was not always the best soccer player on the field but she was definitely the fastest. Morgan went through many different coaches but each coach knew that if they put her in in the second half, that she would be a threat to the game. Alex Morgan got a Olympic Gold Medal, played on the US Women’s National Team, and scored ...more
Kassandra Hickson
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Breakaway by Alex Morgan tells the reader about the ups and downs of this young soccer players life. It is mostly about how she became a soccer player, and how she became the very successful soccer player she is, but it also gives the reader some insight on her personal life. In this book Alex Morgan inspires young kids to shoot for the stars and be better than they were before.

Alex Morgan is a true inspiration and I really enjoy the fact that it is an autobiography. The style of an autobiograph
Cedrik Vb
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Breakaway: Beyond the goal

This autobiography of U.S national team womens team lead scorer Alex Morgan is one of the best out there, It tells of the goals she has and had, it tells of what college is like, playing soccer there, she tells of what it is like in a World Cup and Olympic Gold medal final, and what it is like to play for a national team.

This book is 100% non fiction because it is an autobiography, perfect for biography book reports, and tells Alex Morgan's inspiring and motivating
Chally
Apr 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Sofia T
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Breakaway:Beyond The Goal by Alex Morgan is about how Alex Morgan succeeds in becoming a professional soccer player on the US Women's National Soccer Team. Alex Morgan talks about how she struggled to strive to be the best she could be on the field.

This book was very interesting to read. I would recommend this to a classmate since it showed how she succeeded by playing AYSO then playing club soccer.
Kolby Brooks
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Best Book i ever read
Nikki
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Alex Morgan is the reason I love soccer. She has the determination strength and skills that it takes to be a player. Loved this sooooo much!!!!!!!!
Liralen
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Fine but sort of...excruciatingly dull. Breakaway is written for younger readers, and it's clear that a huge goal of the book was to Be a Role Model: present a positive picture, avoid controversial topics, don't make waves, keep it surface, include lots of Good Messages and Solid Morals, etc. And that's fine! After all, Morgan is a role model to many. Moreover, it sounds like she doesn't have a super complex backstory to weave into the narrative, which is another reason to keep things pretty foc ...more
MHP
This was my "b" book for my alphabet challenge I started this year. I love Alex Morgan and have followed her and the USWNT since the 2015 World Cup. Reading her autobiography was a great way to learn more about her and her life before the most recent World Cup, and I figured that this was great timing, with the 2019 World Cup less than six months away. I found I could relate to Alex in many ways I didn't even know about - like me, she's had an injury or two that took her off the field for a long ...more
Julie Weinberg
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
For my reading assignment, I read the book, "Breakaway: Beyond the Goal" by, Alex Morgan. It is non-fiction due to it being a auto-biography. I rate this book 4 stars because the story was enjoyable, but her style of writing was hard to understand at times. I can compare this book to “Forward: A Memoir” by Abby Wambach because they both describe achieving their dreams/goals in life. The story is told from Alex Morgan’s perspective about her soccer career. Alex Morgan began practicing soccer with ...more
Maddy Chang
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Breakaway: Beyond the Goal, an autobiography by Alex Morgan is about the life of Alex Morgan. Alex Morgan is a famous soccer player and she currently plays for the US National Women’s Soccer team. This book talks about the struggles Alex Morgan had when becoming the great soccer player she is today. She got hurt very often, but she learned resilience. I liked this book because I found it very inspiring. However, at times in the book I got kind of bored. I think if you don’t know the sport of soc ...more
Gwen
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: q3-2018
Breakaway: beyond the goal is an autobiography by Alex Morgan, who is a professional soccer player and Olympian. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book I would recommend it for anyone that is interested in soccer or really just sports in general. She begins the book by introducing herself and her family and then proceeds to tell the story of her life up to the point that the book was published. She talks about her early experiences with soccer, her first national team camp, high school, college, ...more
Alexi Anaya
May 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Alex Morgan is a spectacular soccer player but not the greatest writer. Although she motivates and inspires young readers to be great, she doesn’t do much more. If want to feel inspired then this is the book for you. If you want it to make you feel anything else, then you should probably skip it and move onto the next book. At the end of each chapter, Alex gives a little piece of advice such as pushing moves you forward or find a mentor. For motivation only, I would not only recommend this book ...more
Jessica
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book a lot. You got to know the challenges that Alex had while playing. It's cool to see how Alex can relate to others players, and to see and realize the life she has. You get to see her path to success. She is the most well known soccer player on the US Women's National team. This book brought great interest to me and I really liked how in the book, she describes the way she plays the games and the way she so briefly remembers it and the moves she made. I really enjoyed this.
Destinee
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
super inspirational. This book made me appreciate Alex even more than I did before. It explains her early childhood which was surprisingly relatable. If you want to learn about setting goals for yourself, determination, hard work, and making your dreams come true this is the perfect book for you!! :)
Carol McC
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: susan-all
I loved this book so much! I am a big fan of women's soccer and the US Women's National Team. When I saw this book at my bookstore and I squealed! I adore Alex Morgan and I think that every girl should read this book because it's reading about your hero from their point of view. This book totally deserves 5 stars!
Chantal
I liked it, but after reading Abby Wambach's, this one didn't feel as deep. They're really different, since this one is more focused on giving life lessons like "never stop fighting for your dreams". Still, it was fun to read about Morgan. Lloyd is next!
  • Mo'ne Davis: Remember My Name: My Story from First Pitch to Game Changer
  • My Name Is Sally Little Song
  • Trouble at the Treasury (Capital Mysteries #7)
  • Cy in Chains
  • Hurricane Dancers: The First Caribbean Pirate Shipwreck
  • Invisible World
  • Lily's Ghosts
  • Never Say Die
  • Rising Above: How 11 Athletes Overcame Challenges in Their Youth to Become Stars
  • Solo: A Memoir of Hope
  • Norma Jean, Jumping Bean
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. This is for Alex[3spaces]Morgan.
(3)American Soccer Player

An American Soccer Player (Forward/Striker) and an Olympic Medalist. Drafted first in the 2011 WPS Draft by the Western New York Flash. And now plays with the Portland Thorns FC.