Start by marking “No Excuses: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
No Excuses: A Memoir

No Excuses: A Memoir

The first deaf athlete to play offense in the NFL (and win a Super Bowl with the Seattle Seahawks!) relates his inspirational story of hard work and determination in his own words. Great for readers of all ages.

The inspirational memoir from the popular current Seattle Seahawks running back Derrick Coleman Jr., who, in just his second year in the NFL, won the 2014 Super Bow
Published June 2nd 2015 by Gallery/Jeter Publishing

To ask other readers questions about No Excuses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Excuses

Kathryn
This book was decent. I am not a football fan, so why did I read(listen to) a book about a football player, huh? Well, Derrick Coleman was the first and possibly the only NFL football player, who is legally deaf. I enjoy reading about people, who overcome the odds to accomplish their dreams. He even played in the Super Bowl with the Seattle SeaHawks and I think now he may be with Atlanta. I'd give this 2.5 stars,; I just need to decide if I should give it 2 or 3 stars here on Goodreads.
Kim
May 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, iown
I also reviewed this on my blog located here: http://superbookgrl13.blogspot.com/20...

I'd like to start out first by explaining myself before I dive into my review. I had no idea who Derrick Coleman Jr was until I saw his Duracell commercial in the middle of the season that the Seattle Seahawks won the Super Bowl XLVIII in 2014. Once I saw it, I jumped the bandwagon. I became a Seahawks fan. I have been cheering hard ever since, I don't care who taunts me for jumping the bandwagon, I am player #
Elizabeth Gray
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I am not a sports fan, but I am a Derrick Coleman fan. He consistently puts out positive messages that reach everyone, not just those in the deaf community. I am so glad there is a football star who serves as a positive role model. I enjoyed No Excuses because it flushed out the story of Derrick's life and the obstacles he had to overcome to achieve success. Reading No Excuses will inspire everyone to reach for their dreams and give them the courage to succeed even in the face tremendous obstacl ...more
Melody
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
BETTER TH A N GOOD BUT NOT QUITE GREAT

I'm glad I read the story of Derrick Coleman, Jr. He's an inspiration to all, especially those with disabilities. He's proven that you CAN do whatever you set your mind on. With God's help, motivation, and dedication, anything is possible.

I was about halfway through the book, when I heard he'd been arrested for leaving the scene of an accident. Since then, I've been away from news and only know he was released. Prayers are there was a very good reason for wh
Jacqueline115
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deaf-issues
Anyone that knows me knows that I truly despite NFL and anything football related. I appreciated that not one negative thing was written in this book, even if it was negative. Derrick either brushed it off or explained that it was the way life is sometimes. He sets good examples of what I view as a role model should be like. *yes I admit i watched *that* Super Bowl game, just to watch him play :)*
Jess
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had no idea who Derrick Coleman, Jr. was until I read this book. It was only $1 at my local Dollar Tree. The cover caught my eye but the blurb on the back made me buy it. Best $1 I've ever spent.

I did not grow up with a disability, nor did I find my solace in sports - but neither of that matters. This was an exceptional read that any athlete or person who appreciate athletes should read. I also recommend it for anyone who is either chasing their dreams or needs an extra push towards the starti
Carissa
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspirational read about Derrick Coleman, Jr. who was born legally deaf and faced a lot of obstacles as a kid. His desire to play football, in spite of his hearing loss, was a driving force in life backed by supportive family and friends. He proved that he could do it by being a high school all-star and getting into UCLA, and eventually finding his way into the NFL and winning the Super Bowl with the Seattle Seahawks in 2013- the first year they had ever won a Super Bowl. He inspires people all ...more
Kayla
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I love Derrick's perspective on growing up and beating the odds and overcoming the perceptions that people have about him based on his hearing loss.
I work with the deaf children everyday, they are the reason that I read this book. I enjoy reading books that I can tell them about and that might help me understand their experiences even just a smidge more.
I don't really care much about football, but I do enjoy a good book about a person's life. What I didn't love about this book was how many times
Robin Chapman
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I don't care for football, and don't know much about it. This book was recommended to me when another that I was looking for was not available. I am glad that I read it come on because I learned what it takes to make it, and stay in professional football. The constant stress to excel, and the fear of nearly certain injury takes grit and perseverance. Derrick Coleman overcame more than most, being nearly deaf. He had to work harder, disregard naysayers, and show resilience in the face of bias and ...more
Christy Watychowicz
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a parent of a child with hearing loss, this book was inspirational and uplifting. I appreciated that Derrick's accounts seemed so honest. I am so proud for him to have made his achievements, and grateful that he used his platform as an NFL player to share his story and encourage others.

This book would be great for many ages to read, I would say the difficulty level is maybe at 4th/5th grade.
Mona Langer
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved this inspiring memoir! What an amazing young man. I wish him a successful future in whatever he does.
Wendy Kendall
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Derrick Coleman is #40, fullback for the Seahawks and part of the Super Bowl XLVIII championship team. He made history by becoming the first deaf offensive player in the NFL. He tackled Trindon Holliday at the 12-yard line on the opening kickoff of Super Bowl XLVIII - getting the game started right I’d say. And the rest is history, including the first Super Bowl Championship team that included a deaf player.

All Twelves, and football fans will enjoy his new memoir book. It’s so interesting to rea
Bryce Tenney
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Derrick Coleman Jr. makes history being the first ever legally deaf person ever to play offence in the NFL and the first to win the Super Bowl in 2014. He currently plays the position of a full back for The Seattle Seahawks. Since his childhood his biggest dream was to play in one regular season NFL football game. He writes of his determination and challenges along his journey. The book No Excuses was written by Derrick Coleman himself with the collaboration of Marcus Brotherton and is a Memoir ...more
The Book Jar Blog
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography-memoir
Read more of our reviews at: www.thebookjarblog.wordpress.com

An inspirational memoir that shares the determined spirit of Derrick Coleman, this story is tells you why you should never give up on your dreams. Born with a hearing problem, Derrick Coleman is deaf, but extremely blessed. Growing up in a world filled with love, frustration and perseverance, Coleman never gave up on his dream to play in the NFL. What we see as an obstacle, Coleman saw it a motivator. It motivated him to prove he could
Leonardo Etcheto
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book because I am a Seahawks fan and so have seen him play. I was curious as to what issues if any he had encountered with his hearing aids. He had to work hard to be accepted, but once he proved there was no issue, there was no issue.
Book reads like a conversation with Coleman. He does a great job of what he did to get to the NFL and his focus on doing the best. Interesting story, another confirmation of just how hard these guys work and how dedicated they are to being the best
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I took the book out of the library because of the title and wanted to see how Derrick Coleman, Jr., got to where he is today. What an inspirational story from his childhood and the support of both parents although they were not always living together it was team work on their part to give the best to their son who's hearing disabilities surfaced early. I cried with joy at how he tackled a problem with determination. I was so happy that he was able to obtain his dream - playing in the NFL and bec ...more
Maggie Mattmiller
Jun 08, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. At times, the writing feels so-so, and at times, it comes across as someone who is trying to sound humble while telling you how amazing he is, but I guess if the shoe fits, at least he's humble! I really enjoyed learning his back story, and about his family and friends. My only complaint, is that he said Jack Nicklaus went to UCLA, when (as all of you Buckeyes know), he went to Ohio State! (Oh, and I guess I had a hard time reading the words "hearing impaired" throughout the ...more
Charmaine
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: deaf-studies
I am a NOT a sports person at all, so I felt a bit leery about reading this book but for me it was easy to read and follow. The book was a wonderful read and very inspirational. I feel it appealed to me on many levels, Derrick isn't ashamed of sharing about his relationship with God but he doesnt try to cram it down someone's throat. Derrick also shines light in being someone 'different' as well as overcoming obsticals. It was a good read even for a non-sports person like myself.

If I had to have
Kristi Bell
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book has so many similarities between my son, who is hearing-impaired also, and Derrick Coleman. We went through some of the same experiences. Some of my favorite quotes from the book:

"Mama stayed my rock during those years. 'Don't ever worry about what people say about you,' she told me. 'They can't determine how far you go. Only God can.'"

"The only question now was if they were going to let a kid with hearing aids play."

"Life is too short for excuses. If you settle for excuses, then you'l
Jan33470
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a courageous young man, who overcame his disability to do what he set his heart and mind to do. His family was always there to encourage and support him.
He is a very humble young man who has given much support to the deaf and hearing community. He encourages children who have been bullied due to their disability to aim for their dreams, don't doubt yourself, and there are no excuses. I truly enjoyed the book!!
Lisa Collins
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So good that I read it in one sitting. Always followed Derrick as an inspiration as was good to read how he got to be such a good man. As I was reading, I could hear Derrick's voice telling the story.
Amy
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a great inspiration story of a humble guy who has done some great things, but the writing could use some more work. There are lots of great stories and examples of the great things Derrick has accomplished.
David
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked the book, but felt that at sometimes that it was too upbeat. I think it is a great story and it was inspiring. I wear hearing aids too and liked how he overcame his obstacles in the whole process.
PWRL
Jul 17, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2015-new
O
Peter Petersen
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Hearing about how he overcame being deaf and playing football was really inspiring. But it was more like hey I am really good and I play for the Seattle Seahawks who won a Super Bowl.
Claydog
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book that described how Derrick Coleman's life was growing up deaf and portrays all of the highlights in his life leading up to his football career.
Mary Keroson
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
great story of faith, staying true to your roots, and giving back to others.
Kaitlin Mcmurrian
Great book

Great book. It mixes hard of hearing strengths and weaknesses and also so much about football. It was a good read and extremely interesting.
Brenda
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It was great to learn more about this amazing young man and to relive the 2013 Seahawks Football Season through his eyes. Go Hawks!
Leah
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!! I want extra copies to have at my school and in my classroom!
Leifheit/Riggs/Mo...: Bryce Tenney's Book Review 1 2 Oct 06, 2015 05:59PM

• Reality Ends Here
  • The Monsters In Your Neighborhood (Monstrosity, #2)
  • Muhammad Ali: Unfiltered
  • The Reluctant Reaper  (The Reluctant Reaper, #1)
  • Beautiful Boys (Beautiful Bastard, #1, #2, #3)
  • Hexomancy (Ree Reyes, #3)
  • SEAL Survival Guide: A Navy SEAL's Secrets to Surviving Any Disaster
  • Corliss (Girls of Spindrift, #1)
  • The Stuff: Unlock Your Power to Overcome Challenges, Soar, and Succeed
  • Baby Needs a New Pair of Shoes
  • Reconstructing Brigid
  • Deceptive Innocence: Part 3 (Pure Sin, #1.3)
  • The Soul Collector
  • Majix: Notes from a Serious Teen Witch
  • IMAGINES: Celebrity Encounters Starring You
  • The Killing Hands (Sophie Anderson,  #4)
  • The Hunt (Rachel Benjamin, #4)
  • Trickster (The Ustari Cycle)