Start by marking “Charlotte and the Quiet Place” as Want to Read:

Published September 14th 2015 by Parallax Press

To ask other readers questions about Charlotte and the Quiet Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charlotte and the Quiet Place

Holliferous
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-my-son
Lovely and great for my son.
C.
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Charlotte And The Quiet Place” is about lacking peace in a city. I was incredulous to discover our new country home noisy. Neighbours lie at a little more distance than city neighbourhoods but ruin our airwaves with motorbikes that belong on trails and dogs that aren’t stifled quickly. I was relieved to win this book. My one note is, it does not tell step-by-step how to obtain inner-quiet. It says “go to your quiet place” but I need instructions. Children’s books tend to impart concepts from sq ...more
Robin
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
The author signed a copy of this book for me to bring back to my library when I attended the American Library Association Midwinter Conference in Boston earlier this month. The cover illustration is very colorful and eye-catching but it's the text inside that you will want makes this book a winner. Focusing on quiet times is so difficult for all of us, adults and kids, so the message here is so important: when the world is too noisy, we must think of our quiet place, focus our breath and breathe ...more
Lauren Barrett
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was able to get a signed copy of CHARLOTTE AND THE QUIET PLACE this past weekend. I was finally able to read it today. I have a history with early childhood education and I work with one family right now with a little girl. She's four and very busy every day with school and other activities. I really look forward to reading this with her. She doesn't often seem overwhelmed, but in the future may seek quiet moments more often.

Charlotte's quest for a quiet place in a busy house and a busy city
Kerri
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful book. My 11year old thought it was a little too young for her but thought younger children would enjoy the story and gorgeous pictures. After discussing the book with her she said Charlotte was like a lot of kids where life gets so noisy they just cannot concentrate.

As an adult I enjoyed the flow and message Charlotte provides about how to find the quiet. I won't spoil the story but recommend you read the book with your children. Then read it again to find the quiet place
Bethany
Jan 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, wndb
The world around Charlotte is noisy: people, machines, animals, and old floorboards all invade her brain. When she stumbles onto a quiet, quiet place, she discovered an inner source of peace and calm that sustain her through noisy days.

Overall, the story is useful for kids who also struggle to be calm and mindful. The illustrations are largely very good--colorful, noisy to match the volume, and good at expressing Charlotte's growing frustration. Charlotte's new-found calm, on the other hand, loo
Phoebe
Dec 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Although the execution could use more fine-tuning and the illustrations seem inconsistent in scope and intent, I think this picture book is a good, solid effort at introducing the why's and how's of meditation. I particularly liked how the protagonist comes to the practice on her own, naturally. No one teaches her how to meditate, or fills her head with theory or technique. It's rare to see a young person so capable and self-directed in a picture book, and therefore this was a treat! I could see ...more
Angie Simmonds
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wherever Charlotte goes there is noise. Her house, her school, her neighborhood is a constant cacophony and she just can't think. NOOO!! she says. "I have to find a quiet place." So she searches, she finds one and she sits and calms down and listens to herself breathe. Haven't we all felt like this at one time or another? I know working in a noisy retail environment makes me crave silence so I could certainly relate to little Charlotte. With beautiful colorful illustrations by Sara Woolley this ...more
Katy
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I teach Meditation & Relaxation for Kids classes and this is a wonderfully simple way to introduce children to the concept of mindful breathing. Everyone can relate to the need for a quiet place! The illustrations are bright and engaging, and I appreciated that the book is full of diverse characters. You can read my full review and download a meditation to accompany this book here: http://mostlymindfulmommy.com/charlot....
Maggie Mattmiller
Oct 17, 2015 rated it liked it
As we teach children about emotional intelligence, and give them strategies for regulating themselves, this book is a great tool for supporting our purpose! It can be really hard for children (and adults) to find peace or calm when things around them are chaotic, but this book will help them see that by picturing calm, by deep breathing- they can create an inner calm despite what's happening around them.
Jane
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The plot arc of this book--with its set-up, problem and resolution--is so perfect that I plan to use it as an example of a well-structured picture book in the class I teach about writing for children. Charlotte's problem is believable and the descriptions of sounds are evocative, lending themselves to a participatory read-aloud. The art is appealing and brings out Charlotte's character.
Jane Sutcliffe
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What child hasn't felt overwhelmed at times by our buzzing blooming confusing world? This is a great book for showing children that there is a quiet place within all of us. I was lucky to hear the author read her book to a small group of children who immediately "got it." I felt calmer just hearing it.
Marion
This is absolutely a new favorite. I love that it's a character of color and that it's such an accurate portrayal of the experience of kids in an urban environment. The illustrations are awesome, the adjectives and descriptions are wonderful and, most importantly, it has a great message of finding a quiet place inside. This is one that I will read over and over.
Michael
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A nice book for finding your own private place when you need to. There are a lot of slow passages to help you settle into calm breathing, so it might not be a great book to read to kids under 5...
Emily
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet story about a girl looking for a quiet place. Perfect to teach emotions!
Patricia McLaughlin
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Fabulous, kid-friendly introduction to the practices of meditation and mindfulness. Gorgeous illustrations, too.
Susan Catalano
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully delivered message for kids in today's fast-paced world.
Maggi Rohde
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Provides a model for coping with feeling overwhelmed.
Britt
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read and reviewed for School Library Journal (issue 2015-11-01):

K-Gr 2—Charlotte lives in a bustling urban neighborhood. Her home, her school, and her street seem to be filled with nothing but noise. Even the places that are supposed to be quiet, like her bedroom, the library, and the park, are loud. One day, her dog breaks free from his leash and Charlotte chases him into a quiet grove. Whenever she needs quiet from that day on, she reminds herself of the calm she found inside herself that day.
Stacy  Natal
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The message that wherever we live we can find quiet inside is a good one. Funny enough I'm writing this review as my teenage son is drumming in the basement right below me. So, yes, it's a topic that rings true with adults and children. The illustrations are great, but I maybe thought that the book was a bit long for younger students.
Michaela
Everything around Charlotte is noisy. All that noise becomes very stressful. When Charlotte comes across a very quiet place she has the opportunity to calm down and breathe. She finds inner peace at this quiet place that help her through the day.
I love this story and I think it's good for children to find their inner calm.
Erin
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book has beautiful and vibrant illustrations and it conveys its message simply and effectively. Great for any child but especially those in need of help managing emotions in overwhelming situations.
Rainey
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Charlotte and the Quiet Place is a beautifully illustrated book that provides and easy way to talk to young kids about mindfulness and expression. It also serves as a great reminder for adults that children get overwhelmed in the same ways that we do.
Jaime
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book for mindfulness.
Collin
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wish this book was around for me when I was a child. My little one chooses this for a favourite every night.
Dana
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice illustrations. Helpful story about a child finding mindfulness in her own quiet place wherever she may be.
Kaila
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: beautiful-books, kids
I really like this book. A great intro to meditation for kids.
Rameya Shanmugavelayutham
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rose Kathy
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This picture book, filled with wonderful and bright illustrations, is about a young girl's journey to find peace and quiet in her busy city. Spectacular language graces each page, while a diversity of people are shown throughout. Illustrator and author did a great job of letting all children feel inclusive in the reading experience of this book. Charlotte and the Quiet Place will also resonate with introverted children that may need to find the peace and quiet within them too.
Lori Gravley
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Moody Cow Meditates
  • Mommy's Khimar
  • The Ring Bearer
  • Harry & Hopper
  • What Does It Mean To Be Present?
  • Miguel and the Grand Harmony