Start by marking “How to Relax (Mindfulness Essentials, #5)” as Want to Read:
How to Relax (Mindfulness Essentials, #5)

How to Relax

(Mindfulness Essentials #5)

How to Relax is part of The Mindfulness Essentials series of how-to titles by Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh, introducing beginners and reminding seasoned practitioners of the essentials of mindfulness practice. Pocket-sized, with original two color illustrations by Jason DeAntonis, How to Relax shows how critical it is to regularly interrupt the hub-bub and routine of our liv ...more
Published November 3rd 2015 by Parallax Press (first published September 8th 2015)

Heidi The Hippie Reader
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddhism, non-fiction
There are very few spiritual leaders who can communicate with the simplicity and succinctness of Thich Nhat Hanh. As wise as the Dalai Lama is, I've only been able to really understand one of the books he's written and I think that was because he had a co-author. It seems like he contemplates this stuff so much, you know, like it's his job, that when he's just trying to talk to a regular person about it, there's a gap that can't be crossed. That isn't a problem in Thich's Mindfulness Series.

Thic
Elizabeth A
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, non-fiction
Thich Nhat Hanh says that when we relax, we “become calm water, and we will reflect reality as it is. If we’re not calm, the image we reflect will be distorted. When the image is distorted by our minds, it’s not the reality, and it causes lots of suffering.”

This is a little book, and I mean teeny weeny, with a big message: Relaxation is important, nay, vital for your well being. And if you don't think that's important, then think about how your well being affects not only the well being of your
Lauren
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: meditation, buddhism
I've been carrying this one in my backpack for about 6 weeks and have read and re-read several times. It's a simple and beautiful book - like the others in the series.
Melissa
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A very small book with a very big message. Thích Nhãt Hahn explains how relaxation is not just something we should do but something we need to do in such a hectic world. He includes simple breathing techniques and chants to help you learn to relax.
Ha Truong
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
4 stars for the content and an extra for the illustrations. I love this book because of its short and sweet words.
Jamie
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
A tiny, adorable, powerful book with charming and minimalist illustrations (not enough of them, in my opinion), and the always-thought-provoking and moving wisdom of Thich Nhat Hanh.
Mindy Kannon
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspirational
Love this little book about relaxation and meditation. Has great little hints and tips for when you're uptight and stressed out, how to go back to breathing and mindfulness. This will be one that I read portions of every day.
Cat Noone
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great and short pocket guide worth reading over and over.
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Q:
Не нужен целый час. Прямо сейчас – очень хорошее время, чтобы расслабиться. Если вы можете на мгновение закрыть глаза, то так и сделайте. (c)
Q:
Если животное в лесу ранено, оно отдыхает. Звери находят уединенное, тихое место и лежат там, не двигаясь, в течение многих дней. Они знают, что это лучший способ залечить раны. Иногда в это время они даже не едят и не пьют. Эта мудрость – остановиться и исцелиться – все еще есть у животных, но мы, люди, утратили способность отдыхать. (c)
Осознанное ды
Allison
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Solitude doesn't mean being by ourselves or away from civilization. Real solitude means we're not carried away by the crowd, by sorrows about the past, by worries about the future, or by strong emotions in the present. We don't lose our stability and our peace. We take refuge in our mindful breathing and come back to the present moment, and to the island of peace within ourselves."
Karel Baloun
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Delightful, eminently practical tiny book. Complete it in one easy sitting, and then reflect on whatever part calls you at different times.

In. Out.
Deep. Slow.
Calm. Ease.
Smile. Release.
Present moment. Wonderful moment.

Mindful and relaxed, we can know happiness and be useful to the world.
Mairead
"The key point is that you are fully there in the present moment, in the here and now, to take care of yourself and what’s happening around you. You don’t think too much about the future or project too much about how it might be; and you’re not trapped too much in the past. You have to train yourself, to learn how to go home to the present moment, to the here and now, and to take care of that moment, to take care of your body and your feelings in this moment. As you learn how to be in the presen ...more
Ankita Chauhan
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
1. Smiling means that we are ourselves, that we have sovereignty over ourselves, that we are not drowned in forgetfulness.

2. We tend to postpone being alive to the future, the distant future, we don’t know when. It’s as if now is not the moment to be alive. We may never be alive at all in our entire life. The only moment to be alive is in the present moment.

3. Our breath is like a bridge connecting body and mind. In our daily lives, our bodies may be in one place and our minds somewhere else, i
Cate
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I borrowed this from the library, but really this is a book I need to own and tuck in my coat pocket. It's a beautiful object, small with charming sketches throughout. Well, how do you relax? Breathe. That's it. Do it again. The little chapters are deceptively simple, like breathing, which is why I want to carry this around and take these lessons in slowly over time, and in different points and places in my day. Breathing.
Rachel S
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a gift sometime last year; I thought it was a novelty, waiting to open until I discovered Thich Nhat Hanh elsewhere. It accompanied me on a walk through a camp site, in the early morning mist, a kind of walking meditation. So much gentle, stirring power in this little book. Incredibly helpful and wise for the well-stressed. The realization of relaxation vs. escape has really stayed with me.
Michelle
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2016
Interesting - brought out some aspects regarding the importance of taking time to relax that I had not previously paid much attention. A helpful read for dealing with stress.
Tracy T
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book has given me some ideas on how to relax. I hope it works considering I don't really know how to do it!
Kristen
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My favorite of these little books so far. Something I will read again and again.
Katelyn
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A wonderful little book that reminded me to slow down, breathe, and not let my ideas of happiness get in my way of happiness.
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent little book/reminder to appreciate all that is around us and take time to rest the body and soul
Zach
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Short and sweet. But so tough to follow, except for the idea of "lazy days." That I can do.
Anosh
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you imagine a triangle with Suzuki Roshi, Pema Chodron, and Thich Nhat Hanh at the three vertices, I think my preference for Buddhist teachings lies somewhere on the edge between Pema Chodron and Thich Nhat Hanh.
Lisa
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Breathe in, breathe out. Concentrate on your breathing. Relax. Ok now you don’t need to read this book.
Louise
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful. Easy to implement mindfulness suggestions. One page readings which could be suitable for a daily study. Timeless
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's cute and tiny and helpful!
Kim Dallmeier
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love all his books.
Julian Wood
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joyful

Really fab and fun insights on how to enjoy every moment of the day. I love his gentleness and humour
Rachel  Kurtz
Many know Thich Nhat Hanh for his words of wisdom and life alerting practices. Out of all of his books, I thought reading “How To Relax” would be a good first read, (considering I myself am in a constant juggling performance). I found it to be an easy and short read for anyone and can be finished within a day. Many books that are created to help individuals alter their life for the better are filled we things we’ve heard time and time again. What makes Thich Nhat Hanh so different? Aside from th ...more
Marina
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book full of useful exercises, mantras and lovely insights to a better life experience.
Patty
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I return from my weekly trip into “the city”, where I try to do everything, my body demands that I relax, and sometimes I do, even though "stuff" and “to do” lists and “guilt tripis” are always calling.

Is it serendipity then that the book for Library discussion is any Thich Nhat Hanh.,,,,Which I had recommended to the group!

I have several that I know I need to intersperse into my reading time. Some topics beg for enlightenment: Communicating, Fear, Peace. But the Library had these small, sl
  • Design the Life You Love: A Guide to Thinking About Your Life Playfully and with Optimism
  • The Test Book
  • A Beginner's Guide to Meditation: Practical Advice and Inspiration from Contemporary Buddhist Teachers
  • How to Train a Wild Elephant: And Other Adventures in Mindfulness
  • Freedom Now!: Forgotten Photographs of the Civil Rights Struggle
  • The Science of Mindfulness: A Research-Based Path to Well-Being
  • The Simplicity of Stillness Method: 3 Steps to Rewire Your Brain, and Access Your Highest Potential
  • Happiness for Two: 75 Secrets for Finding More Joy Together
  • Coping With Difficult People: The Proven-Effective Battle Plan That Has Helped Millions Deal with the Troublemakers in Their Lives at Home and at Work
  • The Kindness Handbook: A Practical Companion
  • Letting Everything Become Your Teacher: 100 Lessons in Mindfulness
  • Conscious Living: Finding Joy in the Real World
  • Growing, Older: A Chronicle of Death, Life, and Vegetables
  • Conquering Fear: Living Boldly in an Uncertain World
  • Lessons of Lifelong Intimacy: Building a Stronger Marriage Without Losing Yourself—The 9 Principles of a Balanced and Happy Relationship
  • 52 Small Changes for the Mind: Improve Memory * Minimize Stress * Increase Productivity * Boost Happiness
  • Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness (Overcoming)
  • The Art of Being Brilliant: Transform Your Life by Doing What Works for You

Mindfulness Essentials (6 books)
  • How to Sit (Mindfulness Essentials, #1)
  • How to Eat (Mindfulness Essentials, #2)
  • How to Love (Mindfulness Essentials, #3)
  • How to Walk (Mindfulness Essentials, #4)
  • How to Fight
“When you plant a tree, if it doesn’t grow well, you don’t blame the tree. You look into the reasons it isn’t doing well. It may need fertilizer or more water or less sun. We never blame the tree. Yet we’re quick to blame our child. If we know how to take care of her, she will grow well, like a tree. Blaming has no good effect at all. Never blame, never try to persuade using reason and arguments; they never lead to any positive effect. That is my experience. No argument, no reasoning, no blaming, just understanding. If you understand, and you show that you understand, you can love, and the situation will change.” 3 likes
“Mindfulness and a deep awareness of the Earth can help us to handle pain and difficult feelings. It can help us heal our own suffering and increase our capacity to be aware of the suffering of others. With awareness of the Earth’s generosity, we can generate a pleasant feeling. Knowing how to create moments of joy and happiness is crucial for our healing. It’s important to be able to see the wonders of life around us and to recognize all the conditions for happiness that already exist. Then, with the energy of mindfulness, we can recognize and embrace our feelings of anger, fear, and despair and transform them. We don’t need to become overwhelmed by these unpleasant emotions.” 2 likes