Start by marking “Whispers” as Want to Read:
Whispers

Whispers

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  4,854 Ratings  ·  213 Reviews
When Voices In The Night Become Whispers. . .

In the chill of an Oregon night, a man plunges to his death. Another vanishes without a trace. A third drowns in the murky waters of a quiet lake. Alone in the dark, a ruthless killer is certain that every loose end has been cut, every enemy silenced except one. . .

Be Afraid. . .

It's been sixteen years since Claire St. Joh
Published October 27th 2015 by Kensington (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Whispers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whispers

Monica **can't read fast enough**
Whispers is an entertaining read. However, what it boils down to is a story about wealthy over privileged teens/young adults with too much time and opportunity to create misery and angst in their own lives. Even the characters that we are meant to empathize with are self centered ans spoiled. The trouble these people find are so far beyond the acceptable that deception, assault, and death all come into play. Whispers reads like a good made for television movie. This would be a good book to pick ...more
Becca
Feb 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
For those of you who wonder why I continue reading her if I have such petty problems with the vocabulary she uses, I am reading one author a month. February was Lisa Jackson month.

As I previously reviewed she over uses words and phrases, which could easily be corrected with a thesaurus.

Before reading her I had never heard the word "niggle", which means trifling doubt, objection, complaint and seems to have originated in England. She uses this word in excess in this book, with the setting in Ore
Kris - My Novelesque Life
WHISPERS
Written by Lisa Jackson
(Audio: Read by Alyssa Bresnahan)
1996 (reissued Oct 2015), 416 Pages
Genre: romance, mystery, suspense

Miranda, Claire and Tessa have been summoned to their family home in Lake Arrowhead, Oregon where their father announces he is running for governor, and needs their cooperation. Their father also hires an investigator to rifle through their family secrets to see what will hurt his campaign. Kane Moran, now a reporter, has returned home to also expose family the ca
TJ Fox
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
I wasn’t a big fan of this one. It started out decent and then shifted time perspective and for a good 1/3 of the book, you are basically reading a young adult book with some pretty messed up teen drama and sex, which I seriously am just not interested in, before jumping back to the present. The whole book is really just about some convoluted, twisted and unhealthy relationships, most of which really struggle to ring true even through the lens of teenage ignorance and intensity.

Just like the rel
EDian
Apr 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
I enjoyed the setting, foggy dreary Oregon. I liked the main characters, three sisters Clare, Tessa, and Miranda. The hunky bad boy, Kane. The evil family , Taggert. And the mystery of who killed who. But I think this book came out just as cell phones were new. Anyway, I liked it so much that when the audio CD started skipping on the next to the last CD, I almost got the book to read. Luckily Mid Continent Library had another copy. It is a good mystery.
Paris        (kerbytejas)
Good plot overall, but way to wordy and repetitive.
Billee
Feb 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
marketed as a mystery thriller, but nothing better than a glorified romance novel whose main characters are teenagers. on the plus side, I learned a lot of euphemisms for talking about sex...I mean, the Union between his searing manhood and her soft netherworld. :)
Joanne
Mar 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
This may have been a 2-star mystery, but I had to take another star away for suffering through 150 pages of 50 Shades of Neanderthal Sex Scenes (“romance”?? Seriously??)
Parker
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
2 1/2 stars
Heather Gibson
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was a pretty good book and actually held some surprises for me which was kind of nice
Sixteen years ago, the younger son of a wealthy man died tragically in a drowning accident. Now, Benedict Holland is preparing to run for governor of Oregon but needs to know if his three daughters were involved in any way with the death of his rival’s son. By bringing the girls (now grown women) back to their childhood home, he hopes to obtain answers to what really happened one late night about sixteen years ago. Meanwhile, each of his daughters is struggling to overcome something from their y ...more
Vera Maslow
This a is a romantic suspense written into 3 parts. The romances were lackluster and sometimes I would forget it was there except there were the steamy scenes.

Part 1: The set up and gathering of characters/suspects. The set up of characters was interesting and pulled me into the mystery of what happened "that night".

Part 2: A look into the past. This is where all the "clues" are. This part was a good whodunit feel to it. Suspicious cast everywhere, who had motive to do what and how much was con
Georgiann Hennelly
Clare St John and her sisters have come back to the family home on Lake Arrowhead summoned by their father who is going to be running for office, provided he can hide all the family secrets, So he wants to know what really happen 16years ago , when her fiance supposedly died in a boating accident. Kate and her sisters have kept that secret for 16 years and now a journalist Kane Moran who always had a thing for Kate has decided to write a book about the death, and he is asking all kinds of questi ...more
Omaira
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Este thriller romántico te sumerge en las vidas de la familia Holland y los Taggert, que viven enfrentados por sus negocios pero que también están unidos por ciertas pasiones o deseos prohibidos y un asesinato. El misterio de la muerte sobre la que gira toda la trama no es difícil de resolver por el lector, llegando a sorprender más saber quien no está implicado que quien lo está. Lo peor del libro son los saltos temporales y la falta de un poco más de sorpresa. A pesar de esto, es un libro que ...more
Sandy
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
I thought this book was well written but very dark. This book is about two families wracked by a business feud. I found this too much like Romeo and Juliet. Boy meets girl and girl loves boy but there is nothing noble about it.

I felt bad for the families and their strife and how two strong willed selfish men could have a lasting effect on the lives of their children.

Would I recommend this book? Probably but it is not a happy book - be prepared.
Mary Taber
Whispers turned out to be more of a romance than a thriller. The thriller part of the book was good-a little predictable but still good. I don't care for romance books so that part I didn't like at all.
The book was about three sisters growing up with a controlling dad and their romances with the various men in their lives. There are three murders that take place, plenty of action, and there are flashbacks all of which were features that made me hang in there for the whole book.
Connie Wisniewski
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Too much sex.
Greg
Dec 23, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not my style. Thought it was a murder mystery - but it was a romance
Betty Spates
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved the story. I couldn't put the book down.
Trisha Morrison
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Without a doubt, my favorite book by this author so far.
Dwayne Wojtowicz
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oregon. Politics. A decade and a half old murder. Just throw in three sisters, two feuding families, young love and a rage of hatred and you'll have Lisa Jackson's "Whispers."

When Dutch Holland decides that he might run for Governor for the State of Oregon, he summons his three daughters to the house that they dread, the house that they grew up in. He demands of them to come clean on what happened sixteen years ago, and they keep their pact of silence that they made.

Dutch hires a private investi
Kerry
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kane Moran comes back to town to take down one of the towns most powerful patriarch. His thirst for power destroyed his father, and in his opinion his life. It doesn't matter that he is the father of the one woman he couldn't have or forget.

When Claire's father calls her and her sisters back to town to clear the air to what happened 16 years ago with her then fiance, Claire doesn't mind as she left her scandalous husband. Claire and her sisters were always clouded by the possibility they were i
Veronica Buckler
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I am enjoying reading Lisa Jackson's books. There is violence and intrigue, love and family angst. The only issue I have is that there are some fact conflicts throughout the book. It throws off the story line. I don't know who proofs the stories but there are fact issues in every book of hers I've read so far. The other thingy that bugs me is how the characters confess love for one another at the most far-fetched times. When there should be outrage and some time needed to work through things, th ...more
Dennise
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
I will start off by saying, this is not my normal type of book. My mom read it and then passed it to me so she could have someone to talk to about it. So, this is probably an excellent book to those that enjoy this style of writing, with these types of characters.

Unfortunately I do not enjoy wishy washy women with no backbone, as the main female character of this book is. I am also very over the stereotypical males depicted in the book. It took me a full week to push myself through the first 100
Anna Mcfadden
One cool Oregon night, a man falls to his death. A man disappears without a trace. And a third drowns in the murky waters of a quiet lake. All alone in the dark, and 2 are declare accidents tmand the 3rd just left the country until 16 years later when Claire St. John abd her 2 sisters are summon home by their father and is face with terror from her fiancé's tragic death and the shocking secret she promised never to reveal to anyone. But that was before journalist Kane Moran began probing the mys ...more
Lauren
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Didn't enjoy it all that much... the characters weren't relatable, it was a bit too romance-y, the suspense wasn't suspenseful. I live in Oregon, I grew up here going to the coast on the weekends in the summer. It honestly could have been set anywhere, nothing was specific to Oregon. I understand fictionalizing the town it was set in for description's sake, but why make up Portland landmarks? Why set it in Oregon if you're not going to revel in description of the distinctive landscape? I was hop ...more
BLOOPY
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
The book read like a story I have encountered before. Different characters and location. The author liked using descriptive words. So much so that the book lasted 17 more pages than the listed 416. The book did capture my interest. I figured out the culprit long before it was revealed. A few tricks tried to mislead me though. If you like rich and spoiled folk, teen sex and pregnancies, and murder and rape...this book is for you.
Ashley
Dec 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
This awful book took me months to finish. Not sure why I even did. So incredibly boring, lots of graphic sex scenes among teenagers, more sex (thought this was a mystery book), and just words to fill up chapters. I sped red through parts and didn’t miss a single thing bc it was boring fluff.
I hated this book.
Ben
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
I have read a ton of Lisa Jackson's books, so I decided to try one of her first novels.
It's not nearly as good as some of her other work, as it didn't seem to flow like the others.
It was very raunchy, so don't give it to kids.
If you're thinking of checking out some of Lisa's work, I suggest starting with Deep Freeze or Never Die Alone.
Patty Leunig
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
There were a lot of twists and turns but the wonton lust for people of opposite sex got old -- for people that were not in their "league." I would say it is a good beach book. It will entertain but you can also put it down.
My opinion 1 6 Feb 01, 2016 07:21AM
J.D. Robb : Whispers by Lisa Jackson - Jan. 2016 34 31 Jan 27, 2016 06:58AM
  • Dark Paradise
  • Outlaw (Medieval Trilogy, #3)
  • Don't Scream
  • Always a Thief (Quinn/Thief #2)
  • Long After Midnight
  • The Dying Game (Griffin Powell, #7)
  • Killing Fear (Prison Break Trilogy, #1)
  • Unseen
  • Fortune
  • The Midnight Hour
  • When the Storm Breaks
  • If Looks Could Kill

Lisa Jackson is the number-one New York Times bestselling author of more than 85 novels, including Afraid to Die, Tell Me, You Don’t Want to Know, Running Scared, Without Mercy, Malice, and Shiver.  She is also the co-author of the Colony Series, co-written with her sister, Nancy Bush. There are over 20 million copies of Lisa Jackson’s books in print in twenty languages.

Before she became a natio

More about Lisa Jackson

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Last Passenger
  • The Thief
  • From the Cradle
  • Intrusion
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Two to Die For (Lucy Kincaid, #12.5; Max Revere, #3.5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To the Grave (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • If Tomorrow Comes
    $12.74 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Into the Darkest Corner
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Dragon's Triangle (The Shipwreck Adventures #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The End of Temperance Dare
  • Skewed
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unintended Consequences (Innocent Prisoners Project #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Girl Number One
  • No Time To Blink
  • Long May She Reign
    $8.99 $1.99
  • What You Wish For
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Detachment (John Rain, #7)
  • Don't Get Caught
  • Disappearance at Devil's Rock
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Fallout
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Boy Who Stole from the Dead (Nadia Tesla, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Kindred (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery, #5)
  • Local Girl Missing
  • Finding Jake
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Violent Crimes (Amanda Jaffe, #5)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Temporary Agent (The Agent #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Punishment (Detective Barnes, #1)
  • Terminal Rage
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Lonely Resurrection (John Rain #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain #6)
  • A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Sunday Silence (Frieda Klein, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Last Queen of England (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Graveyard of Memories (John Rain, #8)
  • Pretty Girls
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • Before You Leap
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Strike (Dewey Andreas, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
  • The Tenth Justice
    $7.74 $1.99
  • An Invisible Client
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Eight
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Sin and Swoon (Blood and Bone, #2)
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stay Dead (Elise Sandburg #2)
  • The Company of Demons
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Fifth Letter
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Altar Girl (Nadia Tesla #0.5)
  • Darkness
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Redemption Games (John Rain #4)
  • Desperate
  • Tips for Living
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions (An Auntie Poldi Adventure)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Boy from Reactor 4 (Nadia Tesla, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • You Can't Stop Me (You Can't Stop Me #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Bourne Supremacy (Jason Bourne Book #2)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Detective (Elvis Cole, #9)
  • The Tears of Dark Water
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Lost Empress (Genealogical Crime Mystery, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Hounded (An Andy Carpenter Novel)
  • Girls on Fire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Back Road
  • The Other Widow
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Suckers (Jack Daniels and Associates)
“warm, callused hands,” 0 likes