Start by marking “The Wild Ones (The Wild Ones, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Wild Ones (The Wild Ones, #1)

The Wild Ones

(The Wild Ones #1)

When a country raccoon used to a soft life winds up all alone in the big city, there's no telling what he'll do to survive -- and to save his fellow wild animals in the process.

Kit, a young raccoon, has lived his whole life under the Big Sky in the comfort of his parents' burrow. But when a pack of hunting dogs destroy his home and kill his parents, Kit finds himself in A
Published August 25th 2015 by Philomel Books (first published January 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Wild Ones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wild Ones

Connor
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
So this went pretty much as I expected. Some fun adventure, some cute/maybe not so cute world-building with anthropomorphic animals, and some education of morals and vocabulary. I really liked Kit as a main charcater. London was really able to deliver some fantastic messages without being overly preachy through Kit and the supporting characters. I loved the messages of being environmentally aware. I think it does a good job of showing how having common goals can help people overcome differences, ...more
Victoria Scott
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I had visions of writing the world's longest review detailing my love of this book, but my own deadline calls. So I'll simply say this--THE WILD ONES is one of the most imaginative books I've read in a long time. I loved every single character, even the villains, and the pages turn themselves. See? I'm full of cliches writing this. Just read this, m'kay? A book hasn't made me cry since Cynthia Hand's UNEARTHLY, but I cried with joy and sorrow for these furry animal creatures with big attitude an ...more
Margie
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Many years ago in the solitude of several summer days I journeyed to a world fashioned by the words of Brian Jacques in his Redwall series. I still remember how captivated I was by those mice and the other animals populating their lives. Books like Jacques' titles alter your perspective. (I have since made sure every home of mine is mouse-proof. I can't bear the thought of harming one.)

Imagine my happiness at reading a dedication in one of my most recently read books:

To Brian Jacques, whose book
Book Riot Community
How can you not love a book with animal gangs and a raccoon in a jaunty cap??? From the author of Proxy comes a fantastical story of animals struggling for control of a city. Kit is a young raccoon forced from his home after a seemingly random attack that kills his parents. Struggling to survive in the city, he learns about the turf war between the wild animals, The Wild Ones, and people's pets, The Flealess. He also learns the reason behind his parents' deaths - a reason that dangerous people w ...more
Jillian Heise
Loved this book! I typically don't even like "animals as characters" stories, but London's characters and writing and story convinced me I need to get past that. These characters are endearing, varied, and entertaining. The setting and world building is phenomenal and humorously detailed. The story has gravitas and keeps the plot moving with adventure and twists to keep the reader turning pages. It's a fun read with enough excitement to keep intermediate grades kids hooked and has subtle message ...more
Katie
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story for kids 8 and up - the charming characters, adventure-driven story, and clever writing will appeal to a huge range of readers. London doesn't shy away from putting young Kit into sticky situations, but he doesn't linger too long on anything upsetting, and there's lots to cheer for by the end of the tale. Can't wait for more in this series.
Martha
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kit is a young country raccoon forced to escape from his country home in "the Big Sky" when a pack of dogs kill his parents. He travels to Ankle Snap Alley in search of the "Bone of Contention" honoring his mother's last request. Entering this contentious alley where the Wild One's fight the People's Pets, Kit quickly learns he must think carefully using his clever raccoon tricks to survive. Reminiscent of the Redwall series the animal characters in this story convincingly come to life. Kit is a ...more
Mary
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animal-fantasy
Kit, a young raccoon, must find the missing Bone of Contention that guarantees the Wild Ones a peaceful home. Kit is an appealing hero similar to Martin the Warrior (Jacques) or Hazel in Watership Down. A well written fast paced animal fantasy adventure that will be appreciated by middle grade readers who enjoy Erin Hunter's Warrior series. Howl to snap forever!
Smcneice
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am not usually a fan of books with animals as characters, but this book totally won me over. From the very beginning, London throws the animals into desperate, wild, sometimes violent situations, but beneath the action is wonderful characterization and world building!
Alyssa
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That makes 7!!!

This book was adorable!!!!!
Annette
THE WILD ONES by C. Alexander London is an enjoyable middle grade adventure fantasy featuring an epic conflict between wild and domesticated animals.

House pets known as The Flealess are planning to attack Ankle Snap Alley and break the treaty with The Wild Ones. Kit, a young raccoon in the city for the first time must find the Bone of Contention and stop the turf war.

Librarians will find the blend of witty humor with the well-developed animal characters to be a draw for youth who enjoy anthropo
Scott Robins
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
A fantastic addition to the 'animals as protagonists' genres of children's lit. Despite being set in 'our world', London successfully builds a unique mythology and world of two factions of warring sets of animals - the ones in the wild and the ones owned by people. Great characters and action packed, I'm already looking forward to the sequel. Not sure if it was just me, but I was getting a Stonewall allegory by the end of the novel and if this was intentional or not, it's something that stood ou ...more
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
A definite "next read" for fans of the Warriors series and a gateway to Redwall.

The worlds of the Flealess and the Wild Ones are well drawn, along with their conflict over Ankle Snap Alley. How Kit manages to manipulate things to his benefit, despite being a naive newcomer to this world, will engage readers as much as the different animals we meet (the headlines blurted out by the finches are so funny and the evil of the Rabid Rascals is perfect).

Will this be a series? I do hope so.

ARC provided
Rayna
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
My son (8yrs) and I just finished reading The Wild One and we both loved it. My son was drawn to the rich lives of the animal characters, I appreciated the original story and we both had the urge to read just one more page...chapter. And we often did, staying up past bedtime on a few nights to do just that. This story will appeal to boys and girls alike. Parents this is one of those books you will want to read right along with your children. #howltosnap
Jasmine
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Alex London remains as excellent and bloodthirsty as always in his middle-grade books. Expect a similar number of characters to be eaten as you normally see in the adult SF of John Scalzi, and you've got a good handle on what to expect, with the addition of religious scribe mice, a terrifying Rat King, and an art-appreciator alligator who wants people to come see her art (and to eat them).
Katya
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Goofy and fast, with intentional echoes of so many good stories, from Redwall to Uncle Remus. A few genuinely eerie moments lend depth to a classic new-kid-in-town turf battle. I may never think of popcorn in quite the same way again.
Sharon Lawler
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-fiction-middle
Hard to say whether this is theme, action, or character driven because all aspects are present in full force! Many pages dog eared because of memorable dialogue or characterization. Compares to Voight's Young Fredle, and O'Brien's Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIHM.
Sammy Page
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
So. I can't believe I found a book about raccoons. I am so excited read this gem!

For y'all who don't know, I have a pet raccoon named Sassy :)
Rain Misoa
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Proxy fans and people who love seeing intelligent diversity in their books!
Recommended to Rain by: Library
Another great book by Alex London!

To read my full review, click here.
Dandelionsteph
Jul 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
The main character is described as wearing clothes in the book, yet is not wearing clothes in the illustrations inside and is only wearing a hat on the cover page.
Kelsey Argyle
The wild ones

Kit, the young racoon, is spending a carefree life under the big sky when one day he is chased by hunting dogs that are working for a dangerous orange cat that wants him distinguished.He is sent by his mother to the Ankle snap valley, which is no better off. the little rock that his parents died for, might be the only way to find the solution to the constant threat of war to the animals of ankle snap valley. Nowhere is safe. There is no one to trust.This one, tiny racoon will have t
Kristen Fort
I bought this book thinking of a future 11-year-old getting into the story, and after reading what I had gotten for the future 9-year-old, I started reading this with the deadline of the 9-year-old's birthday - this Saturday. I'll give him the okay, mediocre-for-me, Rocket and Groot books. Because...

This book starts out scary! First, it's the deal between a dog and a cat, and right away, you can tell that these are the bad guys. Then, how Kit becomes an orphan. Then, Kit's arrival in Ankle Snap
Elizabeth Atwater
This book has a great story-line and an amazing plot. And instead of taking over the world, the flealess are trying to take over the ally. And like it said on the back of the book, Kit and his friends might pick your pocket. But they are the best characters I have ever read about about. With good hearts; too good for ankle snap ally. I don't really like how Sixclaw dies. But I think it's a really great story.
I would give it four and a half stars, but it won't let me.
Andrew
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great book but because it was so interesting anyone who wants to read it should'nt read it before bed because its so stimulating. I personaly could not fall asleep! my favorite part was when the wild ones were losin the battle and eleni came out of the sewers riding gayle.
Michelle
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 4th grader and I really enjoyed reading this one together and we now need to find book #2!
Linda
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It took me too long to get to this book. On the upside, I can go straight to Moonlight Brigade. Can't wait to read the next wild adventure.
Karen
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ellie
Ellie wished she had read this one first because she knew from reading the second book that everything would turn out fine. None the less she really liked this book..krb 1/28/18
Jenn
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
Julia
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Overall, I enjoyed The Wild Ones. It was fun to dive into this anthropomorphic tale and cheer for Kit as he learned to navigate Ankle Snap Alley, to not trust just anyone, and to make the most out of his life–howl to snap. I give it 4 stars!

Positive:

- I really liked the adventure itself–from Kit leaving the Big Sky to getting mixed up with the Blacktail brothers to searching for the Bone of Contention to the very end.
- I liked the friendship between Kit and Eeni.
- I’m guessing this might have be
Suzanne
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-kid-lit, netgalley
Imagine a world where animals have their own society, complete with protection rackets, bakeries, and historians. Kit's parents are archaeologists researching the history of raccoons, and they happen to be raccoons. But it seems that some knowledge is considered dangerous. The "Flealess" or the pets who live with People are trying to find a way to force the wild animals out of the city, even the rundown area known as Ankle Snap Alley. Tradition says that Azban the First Raccoon made a deal with ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Final Kingdom (TombQuest, #5)
  • The River of No Return (Jaguar Stones, #3)
  • A Dubious Crime (Colton Banyon Mysteries, #9)
  • Firefly Hollow
  • The Submarine Job (The 39 Clues: The Cahill Files, #2)
  • The Bear Report
  • How to Swallow a Pig: Step-by-Step Advice from the Animal Kingdom
  • Tony
  • Avenging the Owl
  • Lara's Gift
  • The Beasts Who Fought for Fairyland Until the Very End and Further Still
  • Mission Hurricane (The 39 Clues: Doublecross, #3)
  • March of the Mini Beasts
  • He Said, She Said: "Murder" (He said, She said Detective Series Book 1)
  • Neversink
  • Mission Atomic (The 39 Clues: Doublecross, #4)
  • Crimson
  • Killing the Machine (Aboard the Great Iron Horse, #2)

The Wild Ones (3 books)
  • Moonlight Brigade (The Wild Ones, #2)
  • The Great Escape (The Wild Ones, #3)