Start by marking “The Conjurer's Riddle (The Inventor's Secret, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Conjurer's Riddle (The Inventor's Secret, #2)

The Conjurer's Riddle (The Inventor's Secret #2)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  708 Ratings  ·  113 Reviews
Charlotte may have left the Floating City, but she’s not out of danger yet. On the run from the British Empire’s clutches, she leads her group of exiles west and south, plunging into a wild world of shady merchants and surly rivermen on the way to New Orleans.

But the more Charlotte learns about the revolution she has championed, the more questions she has. As she and her f
Published November 3rd 2015 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about The Conjurer's Riddle, please sign up.

Colleen Houck
I love that I can hit so many tags with this series. There's so much going on! The entire description of this version of New Orleans was amazing! Loved the swamp guru who fights with a stick. Also the spider girls and the pirate...yummy. Very much look forward to reading more about him.
Rebecca
3.5 STARS
Like most trilogies, the beginning of this second installment was painstaking slow and uneventful. Even Charlotte and Linnet couldn't make up for the lackluster storyline up to the 40% mark. The remaining 60% was engaging and packed full of action. It was everything I've come to enjoy in this world. The ending has me optimistic that the final book was will as entertaining as the first.
Laurapassage
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
[http://laura-passage.com/le-secret-de...]

"L'énigme du magicien, deuxième tome de la trilogie Le secret de l'inventeur, se révèle avant tout comme un tome de transition. Bien que l'intrigue principale avance peu, Andrea Cremer ravit par son univers, son héroïne forte et touchante et le rythme haletant du récit."
Galleane
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
De manière générale je déplore un manque de substance et et de profondeur, comme dans le premier tome. De nouveau je suis restée sur ma faim, tout reste bien trop en surface, et je n'ai pas été éblouie par les promesses qui survenaient par moments au travers des nouvelles choses qui apparaissaient. Je passe outre le triangle amoureux qui piétine grandement et qui de ce que j'ai lu se termine d'une façon que tout le monde n'appréciera pas dans le dernier tome que pour ma part je ne lirais pas.

Ma
Brenda Ayala
Jul 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-con-2015
Short version: There's a rebellion, I don't know why. Lots of things happen besides rebellion.

Long version: As usual, I came into this having no idea what I was getting into. Since I picked this up randomly, I didn't have any clue what the original story was, and I knew I would spend some time in the beginning trying to figure out what's happening. But I don't know much more now after finishing the book than I did in the beginning. I can narrow it all down into about four sentences, which I star
Kathy Martin
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in a trilogy and sees Charlotte, with her friends, fleeing the destruction of their hideout and heading across the country to New Orleans to join with the Resistance. Along with her other friends is Grave who is an unusual character who was made from the body of a mad inventor's dead son. Grave now has powers and skills that make him very valuable to whatever side in the revolution manages to take control of him. He has also excited various religious orders who seem to fe ...more
Jan 08, 2016 rated it liked it
I had such a difficult time getting into this book. The beginning did not do a good job of reintroducing the characters and the plot of the first book, so I just spent the first few chapters confused and bored and thhhhiiiss close to putting the book down. Fortunately, it picked up in the middle and started to become more engaging with the character's traveling to New Orleans where the Resistance head quarters was located and the city had a cool element to it where a law required the inhabitants ...more
Britt
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-review
Once again, Cremer dazzles with her lush settings of this alternative history that is still somewhat american. The division of territories is quite different though. It is set in the future yet most things seem to be dated such as clothings and social hierarchies and such. I rivaled in the introduction to the rich yet gritty New Orleans culture. The steampunk elements are of course outstanding and this time there is even some magic and possible necromancy involved. It was a nice change from The ...more
Rea K
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
"Reagan, you weren't thrilled with the first book? HOW COULD YOU BRING YOURSELF TO READ THE SECOND ONE?" Well, dear reader, I don't know how I brought myself to read the second one, but I'm gonna read the third one, too. Mostly because I have it in my little hands, but partly because with an ending like that, I guess I can read through the end of the series. *heaves sigh* I guess. If I insist. I can think of worse books to pass time with at any rate.
This book was slow at the beginning, so cue m
paula moreira❥
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved it. But ahhh every book I've been reading lately ends with a cliff hanger. Now I have to wait like two years for the next. Kinda sucks. Oh well, life goes on
Lindsay
Charlotte leads her group of exiles west, plunging into a wild world of shady merchants and surly rivermen on the way to New Orleans. But as Charlotte learns more about the revolution she has championed, she wonders if she's on the right side after all. Charlotte and her friends get to know the mystical New Orleans bayou and deep into the shadowy tunnels below the city–the den of criminals, assassins and pirates–Charlotte must decide if the revolution's goals justify their means, or if some thin ...more
Hayley
Jan 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: series
Originally posted on BlueAnteater

The short: The steampunk-esque AU world remains of interest, but the characters remain stiff and the story overwhelming in detail.

The long:

I admit that I skimmed quite a bit of this one. When I picked it up to read, I was more than a little hesitant because I couldn't remember much of the first book nor that I particularly liked it (in fact, rereading my review of The Inventor's Secret, I see that I did not). My main interest was finding out what happened to Grav
La république des livres
J’avais beaucoup aimé le premier tome de ce roman que j’avais lu il y a un peu plus d’un an. J’ai eu la chance de pouvoir le découvrir assez rapidement après sa sortie.

L’histoire reprend là où elle s’est arrêtée dans le premier tome. L’auteur prend quand même le temps de nous rappeler certaines choses qui se sont passées dans le précédent livre pour mieux nous plonger dans son univers.

On suit donc nos héros dans leur fuite vers la Nouvelle-Orléans. C’est le premier moment riche en rebondissement
LB
This review is also posted at http://readingnookandcranny.blogspot....

I had high hopes for this book, thinking that Cremer could dive more into the steampunk world she created in The Inventor's Secret and worry less about the romantic squabbles that we had to deal with in the first novel. Instead, The Conjurer's Riddle (I'm still not entirely sure I even get the title of the novel) seems to focus on all the aspects that I didn't particularly enjoy from the first novel and almost completely ignor
Christine
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-na, sf-fantasy
I continue to love this alternate US history with a steampunk spin and found this to be a worthy successor to The Inventor's Secret. I could have used infinitely more Jack and Coe, and less Pip (I find her tedious) but the world Ms. Cremer has built is so vivid and enchanting that I can't say I seriously disliked anything. It does suffer a bit from what I call "second book syndrome" where not as much happens of interest as in the first installment and it feels largely like set up for the third b ...more
Mycoton32
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

18/20 - En bref, un second tome aussi bon voir même un cran au dessus du premier, je n'ai pas vu défiler les pages et j'ai passé un excellent moment avec Charlotte et toute sa clique. J'ai vécu cette aventure de l'intérieur, voulant moi aussi découvrir ce que cachent les uns et les autres pour pouvoir comprendre les tenants et les aboutissants de cette guerre. Le final est pour le moins intense et ne nous donne qu'une envie, lire la suite !!
Erin
Jan 14, 2016 rated it liked it
I admit, I was a little bit disappointed with this book. But with that said, it was a decent read from start to finish. However I must also note that I found that the first book of this series was far more engaging and it still remains to be my favourite thus far.

photo tumblr_n13nspLWiE1rzianao1_400_zps65511eec.gif
Lulai
Feb 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More like 3.5 stars.
I have a great time with this book, everything is fluid and there is no boring part. Charlotte is still a very kind a human main character and I like her.
But, the plot is missing some continuity. I still don't know if this serie is about the rebellion or Grave. Even, if I like what I read I cannot forget the lack of a strong plot.
Emilie Tanengam
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OH MAIS OÙ EST LA SUITE ?????
Nancy The book junkie
Review coming soon!
Kahlan
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trois choses m’avaient beaucoup plu dans le premier opus de la saga Le Secret de l’Inventeur, d’Andrea Cremer : un univers uchronique fascinant, une intrigue bien ficelée et des personnages plein de panache. Ainsi, sans être un coup de cœur, Rébellion avait été une très belle découverte, dont j’avais hâte de lire la suite. Cette suite, je viens de la refermer, et j’avoue que ma déception est à la hauteur de mon attente. L’énigme du magicien est un tome qui me semble être de transition, avec tout ...more
Hermonie Gronger- hi, i'm connor. i'm the android sent by cyberlife
"This is the patent age of new inventions
For killing bodies and for saving souls.
All propagated with the best intentions.
-Canto I of Don Juan, Lord Byron"

Once again, clunky writing and poor storytelling. I won't lie, though, I am interested in these characters and the story, but I just keep yearning for a writing style that isn't there. Some parts of the story are delightfully visual, while still others are excessive in their descriptions. Names are repeated too often, when "he" or "she" would
Michelle Fangirl
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: okayish-books
Title: The Conjurer's Riddle
Author: Andrea Cremer
Genre: Sci-Fi, Young Adult, Fantasy, Historical Fiction.
Age: 12 - 13
Rating: 5.5/10
Notes: 2nd Book in a Trilogy.

Review

Unfortunately, like most second books in a trilogy, the beginning was very slow, and overall not as good as the first book or the last. In fact, I could even go to say that the first 40% of the book sucked. It honestly did. The first 100 or so pages were a total bore fest.

The first 40% doesn't really hook you in like a good book sh
B.B. Morgan
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read The Inventor's Secret, and I HAD to know what happened next.

This second installment picks up right where the last left off, and didn't let up on the action. With Ash and Jack in New Orleans, Charlotte takes up the leadership roll to bring her friends safety to the haven of the Resistance. But, as she meets the Resistance she has so blindly followed her entire life, she begins to question its roll.

And Charlotte's friend, Grave, is proving to be more mysterious by the day.

This book serie
Karl Schaeffer
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Another dollar store find. #2 in the series. A steam punk YA romance. This one grew on me. Without the hindsight of reading the 1st book, the beginnning of "The Conjurer's Riddle" was a bit dense. The author takes her time fillng in uninitiated readers. The steam punk, early in the book, is scant. Indeed, the steam punk attributes are subtlely mixed in. Not until our intrepid crew gets to new Orleans doe we start seeing the steampunk elements of this time & place. The alternate history aspec ...more
Kay
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overdrive-audio
Ending on a cliffhanger, this second part of the trilogy takes a much darker tone (as the genre requires) and does so very well. Who should Charlotte trust? Politically and personally, all her beliefs are being tested, yet she is thoughtful and determined to use her own internal moral compass as her guide.

She is a young yet inspiring heroine, and I immediately downloaded the sequel.
Nina
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Still mostly reading this because of grave. Kinda mad about coe, but whatever. As i suspected, this resistance is nothing more to him but a means to rank up. I mean if it wasnt for that issue, i doubt he would be helping or part of it. Still dont know about jack though.
Emma T. Clement
Dec 23, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was alright. I wasn't thrilled with the plot, and it seemed like not enough happened in this book. I do think the next book will be better, though, and I look forward to seeing what will happen! I love the characters and setting of this series.
Grace Tracey
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Huge improvement compared to the first book. Unlike The Inventors Secret, The Conjurer's Riddle had less romance (thankfully) and more action. I enjoyed it much more. However the ending was extremely abrupt.
Heather
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just another book that leaves you wanting more and ready to devour the next in the series. If you like steampunk, this is definitely the series for you. A very entertaining alternative history novel.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jun 02, 2015 06:02PM
  • Ardent Ascension (Rise Of The Ardent, #2)
  • Lastland (The War of Princes, #4)
  • Shadow of the War Machine (The Secret Order #3)
  • The Chess Queen Enigma (Stoker & Holmes, #3)
  • Keeper (Mindjack Origins #4)
  • Taming Shadows (Revelations #1)
  • Darkest Worlds: A Dystopian Anthology
  • Balthazar Fabuloso in the Lair of the Humbugs
  • Xander and the Lost Island of Monsters (Momotaro, #1)
  • Overpowered
  • Mad About the Hatter
  • The Dwellers Saga Boxed Set
  • A Study in Ashes (The Baskerville Affair, #3)
  • The Tinker King (The Unnaturalists, #2)
  • Ever Near (Secret Affinity, #1)
  • Immortal Devices (Steampunk Scarlett, #2)
  • Sil's Story (The Jewel, #0.1)
Andrea Cremer is the author of the internationally bestselling Nightshade series. She spent her childhood daydreaming and roaming the forests and lakeshores of Northern Wisconsin.

Andrea has always loved writing and has never stopped writing, but she only recently plunged into the deep end of the pool that is professional writing. Before she wrote her first novel, Andrea was a history professor at
More about Andrea Cremer

The Inventor's Secret (3 books)
  • The Inventor's Secret (The Inventor's Secret #1)
  • The Turncoat's Gambit (The Inventor's Secret, #3)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Unfortunately, the most significant moments of our lives are often unpleasant.” 3 likes
“Don't ever be honest about who you are—and I mean that as a life rule, not just in this instance.” 1 likes