Start by marking “Last in a Long Line of Rebels” as Want to Read:

Last in a Long Line of Rebels

Debut novelist Lisa Lewis Tyre vibrantly brings a small town and its outspoken characters to life, as she explores race and other community issues from both the Civil War and the present day.

Lou might be only twelve, but she’s never been one to take things sitting down. So when her Civil War-era house is about to be condemned, she’s determined to save it—either by getting
Published September 29th 2015 by Nancy Paulsen Books

To ask other readers questions about Last in a Long Line of Rebels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last in a Long Line of Rebels

babyhippoface
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I grew up in a house that had originally been a two-room school house. My parents bought it at auction and converted it into a three-bedroom home that was by no means fancy but held lots of love and laughter over the years. I never looked at it and thought it was not as good as my friends' homes. So what if their bedroom carpet was all one piece? My daddy spent days cutting pieces of different carpet scraps to cover the bedroom floors (there was lots of shag, baby). He worked hard on those carpe ...more
Alex (not a dude) Baugh
It's summer vacation 1999 and in the small town of Zollicoffer, TN, Louise "Lou" Mayhew, 12, daughter of the town's junkman, has just bragged to her nemesis Sally Martin that she and best friend Benjamin "Benzer" Zerto have some exciting plans to look forward to. Truth be told, there were no plans at all, except perhaps the birth of Lou's first sibling. So when bookworm Benzer comes to over Lou's house, they two decide pray on an old Bible for something exciting to happen and in return, they pro ...more
Virginia McGee Butler
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Last in a Long Line of Rebels
Bits of a Civil War diary by Louise Duncan Mayhew in the 1860s, introduce each chapter of Lisa Lewis Tyre’s middle grade novel, Last in a Long Line of Rebels. That story informs the primary one of present day urgency for the writer’s namesake Lou Mayhew as she tries to save her home from being demolished in a case of eminent domain.
In her debut novel, Lisa Tyre sets her story in rural Tennessee where the characters ring true and the family doorbell plays “Rocky Top
Kim
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Being a junkman’s daughter isn’t always easy for 12-year-old Lou. When Sally, the richest girl at school, teases Lou about her broken-down old house and how she’ll be spending the summer sorting scrap metal, Lou prays for some excitement. Her prayer is answered but not the way she hoped. Lou learns that her antebellum home is about to be torn down by the city. It might be old, but it’s been in her family since before the Civil War and she loves it.

Lou and her friends, Benzer, Franklin and Patty,
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
Lou Mayhew lives in the oldest house in Zollicoffer, TN. The house has belonged to her family since before the Civil War, but that’s about to change. There are some folks in town who don’t like the looks of her father’s junk business, which takes up most of the yard, and they’re plotting to condemn the house, demolish it and build offices on the land. It’s up to twelve year-old Lou and her best friend Benzer to come up with a plan to save it before time runs out. A Civil War era diary, found hid ...more
Yapha
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lou lives in the oldest house in a small town in Tennessee. It has been in her family for 175 years. When the town wants to get rid of it, Lou and her friends fight to save it. Together they begin to research the history of the house in the hopes of putting it on the Historic Register. While doing so, they find a story of gold stolen by her great-great-great grandfather during the Civil War that was never recovered. It is presumed to still be somewhere near by. Can they find the gold in time to ...more
Debbie
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lou Mayhew is a spunky 12-yr-old who is determined to save their historical family house in Zollicoffer, TN. The narrator's voice is so authentic and the reader gets to know all the wonderful and quirky characters along the way. It's also a fun book to read aloud and the southern humor is priceless. The author delicately weaves in the more serious topics of racism, the civil war and, of course, SEC football. I would definitely recommend this book to both girls and boys in 5th & 6th grade. No ...more
Lauren
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-mid-grade
4.5 stars. A great historical fiction book for kids ages 8-13 that exposes them to the continuing racism and divide below the Mason Dixon line while adding an exciting family mystery going back to the Civil War. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book! The characters are bright and funny, the Mayhew family mystery and hunt for the lost Union gold is riveting and keeps you guessing to the very end! I can't wait to recommend this to kids at my shop.
Laurie Cariker
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great read aloud for fifth grade! Couldn't put it down!
Heather Taake
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
It was ok. I liked the idea of it, but was just a little bored in some parts. Might be better for 4th or 5th graders....not my mature sixth grade readers. :)
Emily
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved Lisa Lewis Tyre's debut novel, Last in a Long Line of Rebels. It's such a funny summertime read, perfect for this time of year. My aunt gave me a copy of the book as a Christmas gift since she knew the author. (I know, I'm so late reading this! But hey, my procrastination paid off, because the start of my summer vacation was a great time to read the setting of this story.)

This is a middle grade story about twelve-year-old Lou who is praying for an exciting summer vacation. When she and h
Terri
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Louise Mayhew and her friends pray for the summer before they enter middle school to be memorable and exciting. Louise decides God may have an odd sense of what is exciting when she overhears her parents discussing the very real prospect that their small town politicians are going to force her family from their Civil War-era home in the center of town. She vows to do whatever it takes to save her house, the oldest house in Zollicoffer, Tennessee. She and her friends explore the possibility of ha ...more
Susan Alexander
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Struggling with how to explain enduring and insidious racism to your middle school students without their eyes glassing over? This is the book for you! It's funny, mysterious, and moves along at a nice clip. The main character, Lou, is someone both boys and girls will root for. I'm using it in my sixth grade classroom as a companion piece with Mildred Taylor's Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry. Serious topics wrapped in Lou's accessible, hopeful, Southern charm. And Tennessee football to boot!
Kimberly
Amigos, if you decide to read this book, I highly encourage you to do it on audio. The narrator is wonderful! I love hearing other accents and dialects, and I definitely found myself trying out a Southern accent as I was listening to this. The grandmother in this book, Birdie, is an absolute delight and I hope I am just like her when I grow up...except still married to my husband. :)

This is a lovely charming book about growing up, solving mysteries, respecting history, fighting racism/injustice
Ms. Yingling
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
E ARC from Netgalley.com

When Lou Mayhew overhears that her family might lose their home, she is understandably upset, but since the house has been in her family since the Civil War, it's even worse than it could be. Her father runs a junk yard on the property, which is in the middle of town, and there are several people who would like to see the house gone. Lou knows she must do all she can to save it, and uncovers a mystery about some lost gold. Thinking that the money would help somehow, she a
Barbara Desmond
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Got an ARC from Net Galley.

I really like Louise. She's a sassy twelve year old that seems like she'd be cool to hang out with. This book is written in such a way that younger kids will enjoy the story even though there's an important theme that runs throughout the book that could spark a conversation and show that even though history may seem boring that it is all in how you reveal it. Does that make sense?

I didn't really know much about this book before I started reading it. The title appealed
Maureen Timerman
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
I loved this book there was so much love for God and family here, at least in Lou’s home. There are three generations living here and you enjoy her spunky Grandmother, what great wisdom she has.
Lou has some wonderful friends, old and new, and they enthusiastically embrace her desire to save her family home. Loved the hidden room in the house, but Lou is about to discover some things that make her sad, and others that will bring her great pride.
What an adventure you are about to experience, and y
Cathy Hall
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
As a Southerner born and bred, I have a special place in my heart for fiction with a Southern heart. And if it’s middle grade fiction, like Lisa Lewis Tyre’s debut novel, LAST IN A LONG LINE OF REBELS, I am in hog heaven!

Lou Mayhew is just the right blend of charm and spunk, a likable 12-year-old from the get go when she prays over the family Bible, asking for something exciting to come along. Maybe the excitement wasn’t exactly what she hoped for, but that doesn’t stop her from jumping all in t
Heather Jōb
Fun, fast paced story about a girl learning about her complicated family history. Sometimes the reader sniffed out a clue/drew a connection pages before Lou did, and watching her be so clueless was kind of... I don't know, painful? Like, "oh jeez, it's so obvious." But the story did an excellent job portraying racism both past and present, and showing how we can redeem ourselves and our families from those actions.
Brandy Painter
Nov 30, 2015 marked it as set-aside
One chapter in and it's already everything I hate about books set in the south. The fact that it's written by someone from TN annoys me even more. Why do southerners keep writing these horribly stereotypical books about themselves? 16 years in various southern towns and I experienced almost none of what you find in these books.
Jeanette Folkes
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! I have a YA reader who doesn't enjoy history and this book made it fun and exciting for her. Following Lou's exploits while unraveling her past even had her inquiring about her own family history. Can't wait to see what's next for Lou!
Michele Knott
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
This book was smartly woven together by merging events and themes from the Civil War with racial tensions that are present today. Perfect mentor text to see how multiple story strands are put together.
Casey Jo
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love that this book addresses the South's legacy of slavery and racism head on. Go Lisa Lewis Tyre!
Ananya
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lou is a twelve year old girl who is very curious. When she finds out her house from the Civil War era is about to be condemned, she wants to save it. She either wanted to find a historic landmark or find stash of gold that was supposedly hidden during the war. As Lou digs into her past, she is shocked. She finds out that her ancestors ran the gamut of slave owners, renegades, thieves, abolitionists, etc. Some even said this still existed in her hometown. Lou did not want the past to repeat, so ...more
Lauren Waters
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Lou is a determined, spunky 12 year old girl that wants an adventurous summer. Soon though, she feels she has too much adventure for one season. When she finds out her family might lose their historic, civil war house, Lou enlists the help of her friends to save her home at all costs. After discovering an old family diary with hints to a large sum of gold, Lou decides that finding this treasure is the most promising shot she has to help her family.

I loved Lou's contagious energy and sassy person
Lexi F.
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was really really good. It showed me how slaves were really a big deal back then. It showed me how different the world was back then to today and how ambitious people are today to get anything even if it means breaking the law. This is a book you never want to put down and stop reading! All the event and tragedies to happen all connect to one thing that is very important to everybody!
Cynthia Aguilar
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book "Last in a long line of rebels was about Louise Mayhew praying for a great summer. Till she learns that her house was going to be demolished by the end of the summer. She heard a rumor about hidden gold in her house and sets off to find it.
Tegan
Great story! Full review to come!
Suzanne
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-kid-lit, netgalley
Imagine living in a house that has been in your family for 150 years, since the time of the American Civil War. Wouldn't that be an awesome place to grow up? Now imagine that the city has decided to condemn the house so that they can bulldoze it and build offices on the property. Not such an awesome feeling. And that's what Louise Mayhew is dealing with, among other things. There is also the new baby that her mother will be having soon, her grandmother Bertie has gone through a third divorce and ...more
H
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-caudill
Louise Mayhew lives in the oldest house in town in Zollicoffer, TN. She is proud of her family heritage and loves her house in town, even if it doubles as a junkyard. When she discovers that the family home is threatened, Lou calls in her friends and tries to find a way to save the homestead. In the meantime, she confronts some ugly family history, ingrained prejudice in her hometown, and her parents' reluctance to share the truth with her. An above average swat at the "those crazy southerners" ...more
  • The Mistaken Masterpiece
  • Ivy Takes Care
  • The Year Money Grew on Trees
  • Auma's Long Run
  • Bo at Iditarod Creek
  • Secrets of Shakespeare’s Grave (The Shakespeare Mysteries, #1)
  • Kizzy Ann Stamps
  • Kaleidoscope Eyes
  • The Dungeoneers (Dungeoneers, #1)
  • The Spy Catchers of Maple Hill
  • Me and Marvin Gardens
  • The Eternity Elixir (Potion Masters, #1)