Start by marking “The Art and Skill of Buddhist Meditation: Mindfulness, Concentration, and Insight” as Want to Read:

Presented in a straightforward, accessible manner, The Art and Skill of Buddhist Meditation offers a practical guide to building a strong meditation practice, unifying mindfulness, concentration and insight into a single, integrated path of meditation.

Mindfulness and insight, clearly knowing what is happening in one’s present moment experience, and concentration, the abili
Published November 1st 2015 by New Harbinger Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Art and Skill of Buddhist Meditation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art and Skill of Buddhist Meditation

Wt
Dec 18, 2015 rated it liked it
This book is pretty run-of-the-mill - there is absolutely nothing new in here. The approach to meditation is standard - establishing the foundation for mindfulness, dealing with hindrances, deepening concentration, going into jhāna, and a very short chapter on insight, and equanimity. Overall, there is nothing novel, no new angles, no new insights, and nothing to get excited about. Although it avoids a narrow schismatic approach that wrongly divides mindfulness, concentration and insight, still, ...more
Bobby
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one. Shankman has written a very concise yet incredibly useful meditation manual. I credit this book with getting me past a kind of block I was experiencing in my own practice. The distinction he makes between "inclusive" and "exclusive" concentration are simple but extremely helpful in terms of helping a practitioner navigate the very strange and subtle realms that start to unfold as samadhi develops.
Teo 2050
<3h @ 1.5x. Contents:
(view spoiler)
Davide
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
(this review is based on an ARC)
Richard Shankman's meditation primer presents the practice of mindfulness and meditation from a Buddhist standpoint, but this does not make this book particularly preachy or "religious".
After a brief and to-the-point overview of the Buddhist doctrine and its influence and connection with meditation, the text proceeds in a very practical, direct manner.
After the two introductory chapters, the practice of meditation is presented in a simple, clear, hands-on way, st
Christopher
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was an amazing book. I am new to meditation and his really helped open my eyes to the aspects and experiences of meditation. The author helped to me understand methods to try and things that may get in the way, and some ideas of how to overcome then.

I really enjoyed the easy to understand writing style. I found myself getting lost in the authors words describing the aspects of mediation. I would recommend to anybody looking to start mediation or just more interested in the subjec
David Holoman
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up to help assist with non-beginner guidance, and it fit the bill nicely. In Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life (a different book about meditation), Kabat-Zinn discusses a particular practice and says, "Why don't you try it for a few years and see how you like it." I believe this phrase accurately describes the the pace of evolution in one's meditation life. This little book takes you through the deeper destinations of meditation, so it cou ...more
James M. Madsen, M.D.
At first glance, this book might appear a relatively pedestrian tome on meditation, and in fact many of its ideas are straightforward. But it's worth noting in view of the burgeoning number of books on mindfulness meditation that this book promotes practicing a combination of mindfulness and insight meditation. Also, instead of just promoting the oft-touted "practical" effects of relaxation and stress relief of beginning meditation and the deeper view of reality that advanced meditation offers, ...more
Seth Jani
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Having been a regular meditator for a couple years (no formal training) I found this to be a good maintenance book, helping me reestablish some of the simple groundwork for my practice. The book is clear and concise, and I do wish I had come across it when I was just starting out as it is one of the more lucid introductions to Buddhist meditation I have encountered.
Chaundell Monn
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I loved the beginning and end sections that talk about how Buddhists believe meditation can help you. A lot of the middle was hard for me to get through. I think because it was getting to much into how you can achieve higher levels of meditation. I really only wanted a simple daily practice. In the end this book was very informative and I’m glad I read it.
Eric
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dharma
Does a fine job in providing basic advice and insight for both beginning and advanced meditators. The last chapter ('Equanimity') can serve as the perfect pocket guide to the 'mindful' way of living, and should be mandatory study material for everyone in the universe.
Taylor
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not for beginners.
Calvin
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
very insightful and thought provoking.
Andrew Chaikin
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book. Richard’s writing is much like his teaching: warm, clear, practical, useful, to the point, and informed by decades of practice, scholarship, teaching, and wisdom.

In this relatively slim volume, Richard briskly and methodically lays out a straightforward, comprehensive program of Buddhist meditation that integrates mindfulness and concentration practices.

I recently sat a 28-day meditation retreat, focusing on cultivating jhana (deep concentration / absorption) states. Th
Edith
Jun 29, 2015 rated it liked it
My review as posted on Netgalley: I appreciated reading this book and the time and dedication it took to put these meditation practices onto paper.

I am fairly new to meditation having learned one of many techniques about three years ago. Since then I have had the opportunity to participate in a couple other techniques, but the first technique still remains my preferred meditation practice. I have to say it is much easier to learn meditation by doing it rather than reading about it. I knew that b
Chad
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For experienced - or even semi-experienced - meditators, there's probably not much new in this book. I'd suggest that's exactly as it should be. Meditation isn't brain surgery. (OK, maybe it is, but, if so, it's certainly the simplest form of brain surgery there is.) Rather, it's a straightforward (but not necessarily easy) process. Any book about the subject, I would suggest, should reflect that simplicity and straightforwardness, offer a few pointers where pointers are called for, capture the ...more
A.C. Paige
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
FYI - I received a galley through Netgalley for an honest review of this forthcoming book.

I have long been meaning to read a book on meditation as this is a practice I would like to more thoroughly undertake. Given that this book is short, it is a great introduction to meditation for us beginners. I feel that I have learned and lot from the book and I know I will learn even more through actual practice. I don't think giving up the things I've been clinging to will be easy, but I understand how d
Elaine Tansley
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
A very comprehensive and practical book about all aspects of meditation which is suitable for everybody from beginners to the more experienced meditator, The explanations are clear, detailed and easy to follow.

I have read several books on meditation and mindfulness and this is one of the best, I would certainly recommend it to anybody wanting to take up meditation.

Thanks to Netgalley for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Blaise Morita
Nov 25, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: how-to, meditation
Millions around the world believe in the powers of meditation. The Art and Skill of Buddhist Meditation aims to bring insights on the art form to the masses. Intended for all ages and experience levels, this Richard Shankman offering promises to provide step-by-step instruction for beginners, while providing useful guides for jhana, deeper stages of concentration for more experienced practitioners.

*Review will be updated upon receipt and completion of book.
Retha Cameron
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book answered some of the questions that I have had about meditation, and was very useful in helping me understand what is happening when I meditate.
With chapters including Establishing the Foundation for Meditation, Beginning Instructions, Insight, Equanimity, among many others, I feel this is a good book for anyone, no matter how long they have been meditating.
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway.
Pat Bane
I received THE Art and Skill of Buddist Meditation:MINDFULNESS.... BY Richard Shankman from Netgalley for an honest review. The author repeated himself often. I have read the same information from various Meditation books. It was easy to read which might help beginners.
Gina
Jan 01, 2016 rated it liked it
I received this book as a First Read. It's a nice intro to meditation for beginners but less helpful for those who already practice meditation. It would be a good gift for those looking to learn more about meditation or get started with meditation.
Carrie Ridgeway
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: meditation
For me, this book was a perfect introduction to Buddhist Meditation, and just meditation in general.
C
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this as a Goodreads giveaway. The introduction to meditation provided by the author was very helpful in framing up the book chapters. This is a very informative read.
NefariousWhim
Nov 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
* I received this book from New Harbinger Publications, Inc. from Goodreads Giveaway. *

It was an informative read for anyone wanting to learn about meditation.
Helena Richardson
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This is a well-written guide to meditation. Easy to follow, a good basic guide to meditation and its benefits.
Jan 22, 2019
Apr 13, 2018
Taylor Kight
Aug 04, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Focused and Fearless: A Meditator's Guide to States of Deep Joy, Calm, and Clarity
  • Right Concentration: A Practical Guide to the Jhanas
  • Beyond Mindfulness in Plain English: An Introductory guide to Deeper States of Meditation
  • Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond: A Meditator's Handbook
  • Living Dharma: Teachings of Twelve Buddhist Masters
  • Breath by Breath: The Liberating Practice of Insight Meditation
  • The Experience of Insight: A Simple & Direct Guide to Buddhist Meditation (Shambhala Dragon Editions)
  • Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha: An Unusually Hardcore Dharma Book
  • Dipa Ma: The Life and Legacy of a Buddhist Master
  • Finding the Still Point: A Beginner's Guide to Zen Meditation
  • Mindfulness Meditation
  • Meditations to Change Your Brain
  • Mindful Teaching and Teaching Mindfulness: A Guide for Anyone Who Teaches Anything
  • Exploring Happiness: From Aristotle to Brain Science
Richard Shankman lives in Oakland, CA. He has been a meditator since 1970 and teaches classes and meditation retreats at dharma centers and groups nationally and internationally. Richard is the guiding teacher of the Metta Dharma Foundation , and co-founder of the Sati Center for Buddhist Studies and of Mindful Schools. He has sat many silent, intensive meditation retreats for periods up to eleve ...more
“Being mindful means being awake to and fully present in any moment.” 0 likes