Start by marking “Sign of the Dove” as Want to Read:
Sign of the Dove

Sign of the Dove

(Dragon Chronicles #3)

Once again, dragons are threatened by bounty hunters and a young girl must find a way to lead them to safety. . . . The story itself is fast-paced and features a multiplicity of characters and events.--School Library Journal.
Published March 1st 1999 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published April 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Sign of the Dove, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sign of the Dove

Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
1,156 books — 2,230 voters
Summers at Castle Auburn by Sharon ShinnThe Seer and the Sword by Victoria HanleyFire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne JonesThe Hollow Kingdom by Clare B. DunkleThe Darkangel by Meredith Ann Pierce
Hidden Gems: YA-Fantasy Novels
1,966 books — 4,095 voters

More lists with this book...

Lauren Kozilski
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This series is fantastic. I'm only sorry I never read these when I was actually in the age group the author was targeting. As a public librarian, I will happily recommend these to anyone looking for similar reads to Patricia Wrede's Looking for Dragons series. (That's how I discovered these myself, actually).
David T
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Susan always thinks of creative things. Because of the dragon sculpture she brought for her husband, she wrote books about dragons. This book is connected to the Dragon’s Milk[which i haven’t read yet]. At first, i thought is wasn’t a good book until i read it. It just made me to read more and more.

I kind of starting to like her books because I love dragons. I was reading the book and it was in my mind, like i was in the book. There were many parts where she had choose, who could she trust, beca
cookiemonger
May 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
On the whole, this series is incredibly uneven. This is the last instalment that I read, and it will remain so, as I picked up the fourth and found it such a bizarre departure that I lost interest about ten pages in. As is evidenced by my rating, I didn’t particularly care for this one either, but it certainly wasn’t a DNF, and my ratings go by Goodreads’ elaborations. Two stars = It was okay.

Chronologically, Sign of the Dove takes place several years after Dragon’s Milk, and it also takes after
Amber
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was a prequel to the prequel sequel. Haha. This book was about Lyf, the girl that Kaeldra got the dragon's milk for in the first book. Lyf finds and cares for 15 draclings while wandering the wilderness looking for a mother dragon to takeover care of the draclings. Lyf must dodge the king's men and their dragon hunters on her journey. Making this a suspenseful tale. I certainly enjoyed this series, but I don't think it's going to make it on my shelves. Four out of five stars to The Sig ...more
Angela
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author has a clear vision of her interpretation of dragon's physical and behavioral characteristics. I appreciated the main character's realistic attitudes about her own behavior as a 'reluctant hero,' and this was an overall well paced, fun read.
Kirsten
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Picked up this book from a used bookstore and thought it might be a fun read. The night I began reading "Sign of the Dove," I quickly discovered that I could not put it down. In fact, I stayed up a good portion of the night trying to finish the delightful tale. The story took me by surprise. The author is a good writer--witty and creative.
Tushmit
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sign of the Dove is the sequel to Dragon’s Milk , although it is the third entry in the series. I haven’t read the second entry, which is a prequel, so hopefully I didn’t miss much. But I do want to go back and read it sometime.

This sequel follows Kaeldra’s sister Lyf, not Kaeldra herself. But I liked that Kaeldra wasn’t just some background character and she was very much involved with the plot … in a manner of speaking. It is also great to see returning characters Jeorg, Yanil and family, and
Anita
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Heroine and dragons. A good story.
Samantha
After reading the first 2 books in the series, I was really psyched to read book #3. While not as strong a story as the first 2, I still thought the story was well told.

A few things were done differently in this book that I really liked. First of all, there were 2 stories going on parallel to each other. Fletcher's use of the Harper's Tale to keep one of the plot lines going while not interfering with the other was, in my mind, a stroke of genius. It was fitting and much better than the typical
Ashley Biggerstaff
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-lit-class
This is the final book of the Dragon Chronicles. In this story we follow Lyf, the very adopted-sister that Kaeldra risked her life to obtain dragon's milk for in the first book, as she deals with her own Dragon-Saying ability.
Their land is ruled by a feared Kragish Queen bent on creating an unbeatable army by killing and consuming Dragon's legendary meat. Kaeldra, now married with children, works along with others to save the Dragons in a secret organization that identifies one another with the
Brittany
Jan 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: yafantasy
It seems Fletcher's writing improved as she went along. This book, the third in a trilogy, is better written than the second, which was better written than the first. The plot was original and well-paced. One of the strengths of the books, which was only evident after having read all three of them, is that Fletcher was able to create three "dragon girls," each with her own distinct character, inclinations, and intneral dialogue. Lyf, the sister Kaeldra went to fetch the dragon's milk to save in ...more
Savvy
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a bathroom book. We pick a book and set it in the bathroom just to get things moving. that being said it took a while to finish. But it was getting so good that I had to finish it that day.

This book is the 3rd book in the Dragon Chronicles and is from Lyf's point of view and also the Harper's point. It was pretty fun with the Harper and then serious with Lyf. At first I was annoyed with Lyf and her poor weak self, but I told myself to be calm and go through and things did get better.

Wou
Kayleigh
Aug 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, fantasy
I read the first two in the series as a kid, but could never find the third installment. Last week, I stumbled across it on PaperBackSwap, and the completionist in me couldn't resist finishing the trilogy (only to learn that there's a fourth book, which I may or may not bother with). Anyway, my tastes in writing and character development have changed a lot since I read the first two, so my present-day reaction was obviously different than the one my ten-year-old self would have had. That said, I ...more
Kristen Coffin
Apr 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: dragons
"If you had never known them, you wouldn’t mourn their loss. But if you had known them… the world would ever have a great, gaping hole in it, where splendor once had dwelt."

This, the third book in the series, is the sequel to "Dragons Milk," (as the second book in the series, "The Flight of the Dragon's Kyn" is a prequel. We see the effects of consuming dragon's milk on a now grown Lyf - who can now speak to dragons.

Lyf must make the same choices her predecessors have in subsequent books: leave
Clearwater Public Library System
Lyf was both a somewhat minor character, and the whole driving force behind the first book in this series. In this third book, she takes center stage. Lyf was always cossetted as a child, especially by her mother. Now however, as the last of the dragon eggs are hatching she must leave that leisured life behind and accept a great adventure. Lyf must fight to save the dragons, and show she too has great gifts. I loved to see Lyf develop as a character, she really grew into a remarkable young woman ...more
Carol Riggs
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
This is the sequel to DRAGON'S MILK, whereas FLIGHT OF THE DRAGON KYN is a prequel. This novel is the story of Lyf, the sister whom Kaeldra saved by fetching dragon's milk from the mother dragon in the mountains. Because of that milk, Lyf now also can mind-speak with the dragons and their draclings. With the growing hostility toward dragons, Lyf must see that the dragons reach the final eggs they laid 100 years prior, so that all the dragons can settle in a safe land far from humankind.

A wonder
Katie
Feb 08, 2017
Doris
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, series
A bit predictable, but it was nice to see the child Lyf come out of her mewling pitiable state and become a regular child, with friends and a willingness to fend for herself.

I could have done without the harper's interruptions, but they did add a little bit of whimsy to the tale, so all was good.

I would like to have seen less of the travel weary discussion and more discussion, so that we have more of a feel for why, but overall this is much better than the previous two.
Jessica Hollo
Aug 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Unlike the other 2 books in this series, this one genuinely belongs as #3, so that helps. But Lyf is just not as compelling as her foster sister. And the way the story is broken up with the harper interjecting every other chapter makes the book choppy and confusing. Interesting idea, not well executed. Glad I only borrowed this form the library!
Amy Treadwell
Apr 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Susan Fletcher's books are charming and evocative. I enjoyed this book nearly as much as the beloved series opener, DRAGON'S MILK. The reason for the lost star is a plot line involving a secondary character (the Harper's Tale) that I found unnecessary and distracting.

I highly recommend any of the Fletcher's dragon books to anyone who loves animals. Highly amusing baby dragon antics.
Emi
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cute story told in an interesting way - every other chapter is told from Lyf's perspective, showing her thoughts and feelings and actions, and every other chapter is a short intervention where an old (wo?)man tells us what's going on with everyone else.
Nothing world-changing, but it was fairly enjoyable.
Kris Sellgren
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This is my favorite of the first three Dragon Chronicles. Lyf, a sheltered 12-year-old, flees her home, pursued by soldiers and bounty hunters. Soon she is lost in the mountains, with her baby nephew and 13 baby dragons to care for. Lyf feels so weak and incompetent at first, then she finds courage and endurance buried inside. Her personal journey is appealing and her adventures exciting.
Lilla Lillianna
Jul 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any Harry Potter fans
Another addition to the fantastic Dragon Chronicles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Court
Apr 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Having read the first books in the series at an early age, I remember being enchanted with the story, the world the author created, and the characters she brought to life. I found this story to be ... less than the first. It was enjoyable, but still, less.
Hyun
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was an old story I read back in 4th grade; however, I cannont remember much about this book. I do remeber the spine chills and the moments of suspence i used to get. This was a good book to read, and
I would recommend this book to any young audience.
Fae
Oct 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Not nearly as good as the other two in the series. About halfway through I found myself determined to finish it just for the sake of finishing it. The last bit of the book picked up and held my interest. But mostly I just found it lacking what I liked about the other books.
Jeneé
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
When I read this I had no idea it was part of a series, I really wish I had read the other books when I had the chance, I feel I'm alittle too old to be reading them now. I remember this book being amazing though.
Trip
Jan 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
Coco
Aug 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Follows Kaeldra's sister, Lyf, who has been spoiled because of her sickness when she was very young. Suddenly forced out on an adventure on her own, Lyf has to finally learn to take care of herself as well as dragons! Great books for younger readers who enjoy fantasy novels.
Angie
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Oh good, this sequel to Dragon's Milk, the third book in this series, once again recaptures the adventure and suspense we had in the first book. One more book left in this series. I'm sure I'll finish it quickly.
  • The Wizard's Scepter (The Keepers, #3)
  • Heart's Blood (Pit Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • Dragon Cauldron
  • Dark Whispers
  • Wren's War (Wren, #3)
  • The Dragon of Never-Was
  • Dragon's Bait
  • The Dragon's Lair (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #3)
  • Red Unicorn (Unicorn, #3)
  • Shadows of Camelot (Merlin's Legacy, #4)
  • Parsifal's Page (The Squire's Tales, #4)
  • Nightpool (Dragonbards, #1)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See this thread for more information. Please do, however, be aware that this thread is no longer kept up to date.

Susan Fletcher is the author of a popular trilogy that includes the books Dragon's Milk, Flight of the Dragon Kyn, and Sign of the Dove, as well as of several other novels for young readers.

With a me

Dragon Chronicles (4 books)
  • Dragon's Milk (Dragon Chronicles, #1)
  • Flight of the Dragon Kyn (Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • Ancient, Strange, and Lovely (Dragon Chronicles, #4)