Start by marking “Mumbo Gumbo (Madeline Bean, #5)” as Want to Read:
Mumbo Gumbo (Madeline Bean, #5)

Mumbo Gumbo

(Madeline Bean #5)

With two straight number one Los Angeles Times bestsellers, three consecutive Agatha Award nominations, two Anthony nominations, and Lefty and Macavity Awards already in the pot, mystery author par excellence Jerrilyn Farmer is cookin'! Now her oh-so-delectable creation, spunky Hollywood event planner and caterer to the stars Madeline Bean, finds herself in a murderous ste ...more
Published December 30th 2003 by Avon (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Mumbo Gumbo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mumbo Gumbo

Start your review of Mumbo Gumbo (Madeline Bean, #5)
百合花 Lily
ชื่อเรื่อง – ฆาตกรรมวันปิดกล้อง (Mumbo Gumbo) ชุด Madeline Bean 5
ผู้แต่ง – เจอร์ริลีน ฟาร์เมอร์ (Jerrilyn Farmer) เขียน มนธกานต์ ชัทท์ แปล

ตัวละคร
เมดิลีน โอลิเวีย บีน (แม้ด บีน, แม้ดดี้) อายุ 29 ปี

รีวิวหลังอ่าน

เป็นหนังสือที่ได้จากคู่เดทกองดอง จากกรุ๊ป “กองดองเธอนั้น อ่านมันเถอะนะ” กิจกรรมเดทหนังสือที่จัดกันทุกปีของเดือนกุมภาพันธ์ช่วงวาเลนไทน์ เราก็เล่นด้วยทุกปีแหละ สนุกดี แม้จะต้องลุ้นว่าหนังสือที่ได้รับมาจะอ่านรอดหรือไม่รอด ฮ่าๆ แบบว่าบางทีแนวใช่ แต่เรื่องไม่รอดก็มีไง แล้วก็สนุกกับการทายว่าใครเป
Jamie
Jul 06, 2009 rated it did not like it
I did not end up finishing this book as I found the writing style not to my liking. The scenarios were too contrived, and typical. I could not find a character I wanted to know more about. I like "quick reads" at times, and thought this might be one, but it just did not catch my attention, even after about 1/2 way through, so I gave up.
Siba Sami
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
‘Mumbo Gumbo’ by Jerrilyn Farmer.
• •
The book was lying for so long in my shelf and I remember grabbing it in some second hand shop. Well I regret now for allowing this book lie long in my shelf unread. I have fell in love this writer and her story.

Set up in the early 2000’s, the time when showbiz and entertainment as a important part of every day life was evolving as a concept, Madeline Bean lands in Hollywood as a chef who caters to celebrity party. She gets assigned to be the caterer for the
Megan
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Tight pacing. But the characters are more like caricatures. And it's actually painful to wait as the Mary Sue protagonist runs through all the possibilities as to who could be behind the plot... when it was glaringly obvious who was behind the plot already after a clumsy scene that revealed it without a doubt.

This might be a weird complaint, but gumbo was not central to the plot at all. It was haphazardly thrown in at the end. If you're picking up this book hoping to celebrate/learn about Cajun
Dharia Scarab
My favorite book in the series, if you've ever watched competitive cooking shows like Top Chef and Hell's Kitchen, you'll get a laugh out of this book.

Caryn
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Implausible plot device

I have enjoyed this series, but the primary plot device upon which the entire mystery depends is ridiculously implausible. I continue to like the characters, although I would have enjoyed this one more if her main support characters, Wes and Holly, had played a more prominent role, but that does not detract. I also found the denouement even more ridiculous and implausible than the plot device. Unfortunately, to avoid spoilers, I'm not describing these two points. I'm conti
Debbie Maskus
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Farmer is a fun and delicious mystery writer. The violence is not 3d graphic and the sex is not x-rated. I especially enjoyed learning about the filming of a television program and the hand dying of wool. Madeline cohorts, Holly and Wes, have very small cameos in this book. BUT--Holly has an earth-shattering encounter; of course, you must read the book to discover the secret. Madeline prepares food that I have never eaten, nor will ever eat; but I do not live in Los Angeles.
Mark Baker
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2003, mystery
The hardcover debut wasn't quite up to par. Madeline and crew are catering the wrap party for the new foodie TV game show that is all the rage. It just didn't mesh quite as well as the others for me. Still, an enjoyable enough book but could have been better.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Shannon
Jul 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I liked this one better than Dim Sum Dead, the only other one in the series I've read (both because I'm working through the Lefty Award winners). I actually saw the humor in this one, in addition to enjoying the mystery of it. I might read some more in the future, but there are several other series I'm more likely to seek out.
Alie
Feb 26, 2012 rated it liked it
This is the second book I read of this series (read a much newer one first) and I didn't really think it was that great. Maybe I should have started at the beginning of the series to get a better feeling for the main characters (Mad, Holly, Wes) because in this book they are rarely mentioned. Might read another one if it is available at the library. I thought Perfect Sax was better.
George
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
#5 in the Madeline Bean Las Angeles mystery series. With an upcoming break in catering jobs, Madeline takes a short term job as a writer for a very popular TV cooking show whose head writer is missing. She quickly starts to try to figure out what happened to the writer as well as other things going on as part of the show and the production team.

A lighter mystery with some humor.
Di
Mar 26, 2008 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. I liked her writing style. It is about a chef gone mystery solver. I enjoy the mystery part of it, add in a bit of humor, a dash of love story and we have a delightful satisfying dish! I will be sure to check out her other books as well.
Suzanne
Oct 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I think this has been my least favorite in the series. I missed the usual amount of event planning and foodie talk. It was kind of cool learning the tidbits of old Hollywood, but I'm glad Maddie's writing days are over.
Jessica H
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
A mystery, but definitely not a "deep-thinker." Had trouble with some of the writing and characters. I can suspend disbelief for a good story, but some of the things these characters did was just poor writing.
Jeri
Jun 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
Light reading...had fun premise of being a writer for a game show about food. Of course there was a mystery involved. Not planning to read any more books in this series.
Sue
Jul 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
fun, lighthearted, good summer read
Kim
Mar 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
An L.A. caterer that stumbles into a food game show and the mysteries that surround it. What's not to like?
Wanda
Sep 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Fun.
February Four
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Oh man, I enjoyed this. I'm definitely enjoying the entire series!
Vanessa
Patricia Mayton
Nov 26, 2017
Rhonda Gilliland
Jan 28, 2012

• Face of Death (Zoe Prime #1)
  • The Perfect Wife (Jessie Hunt #1)
  • Confessions
  • Everything's Eventual
  • A Hat Full of Sky (Discworld, #32; Tiffany Aching, #2)
  • Prince: The Last Interview and Other Conversations
  • Full Circle: From Hollywood to Real Life and Back Again
  • Batgirl, Vol. 1: The Darkest Reflection
  • Welcome to Temptation (Dempseys, #1)
  • The Four Tendencies: The Indispensable Personality Profiles That Reveal How to Make Your Life Better (and Other People's Lives Better, Too)
  • The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More & Change the Way You Lead Forever
  • My Friend Dahmer
  • Olive's Ocean
  • Launch: An Internet Millionaire's Secret Formula to Sell Almost Anything Online, Build a Business You Love, and Live the Life of Your Dreams
  • The Front Porch Prophet
  • Liar & Spy
  • Scooby Apocalypse, Vol. 2
  • Wild Bird
Jerrilyn Farmer, the author of the acclaimed, award-winning Madeline Bean novels, is a TV writer who has written for game shows such as Jeopardy! and Supermarket Sweep, and sketch comedy specials for Dana Carvey, Jon Lovitz, Timothy Stack, Cheri Oteri, Tim Meadows, and others. Farmer also teaches mystery writing at the UCLA Extension's Writers Program.

Madeline Bean (8 books)
  • Sympathy for the Devil (Madeline Bean, #1)
  • Immaculate Reception (Madeline Bean, #2)
  • Killer Wedding (Madeline Bean, #3)
  • Dim Sum Dead (Madeline Bean, #4)
  • Perfect Sax (Madeline Bean, #6)
  • The Flaming Luau of Death (Madeline Bean, #7)
  • Desperately Seeking Sushi (Madeline Bean, #8)

News & Interviews