Start by marking “Letters To My Sister's Shrink” as Want to Read:
Letters To My Sister's Shrink

Letters To My Sister's Shrink

Shannon Clayton is 35 year old woman with a troubled past. When she tries to kill herself on her wedding day, her fiance commits her to a mental hospital. Her psychiatrist is the best in her field, but Shannon will not speak to her. She will only communicate through letters. The doctor needs a new perspective on Shannon's tormented soul, so she calls on Kathryn. Kathryn is ...more
Published February 19th 2014 by Heather Balog

To ask other readers questions about Letters To My Sister's Shrink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters To My Sister's Shrink

Books, Chocolate and Wine
This book is so gripping I read it all in one sitting. It is dark, twisted and at times disturbing while delving into some very difficult issues. It is well written with the story being told in two parts, the past through Shannon’s letters and the present through her sister Kathryn’s conversations with the shrink, this is a book that will keep you on the edge of your seat until the climatic ending.
Tina Marie
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book! I couldn't put it down. This book has so many twists and turns that you have to keep reading to find out what happens next.
Marva Tutt
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a most interesting read

As you read through the novel, you just think about how. Any people this happens to on a regular cycle. The character developed herself excellently through the use of letters to her psychiatrist. I hope we can find a cure for mental illness just like we fight for cures for other illnesses.
Ali
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Quick and easy read, interesting enough to keep your attention. There were a lot of typos and errors that were distracting. Also, the "big twist" was fairly evident early on in the story. It felt a bit rushed and frantic, there is no finesse.
Danielle Silva mizak
A little weird for me- but very interesting many nights a couldn't put it down!
Elaina
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I did not want to put it down. I will be looking for more books by this author.
Sandi Fiolka
This was a quick read! There are times you don't want to put this book down, and other times you should!

This book should come with a warning, that it might be disturbing to those who may have had similar experiences.

I can't in good conscience recommend this to others to read

Julie
May 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book was disturbing in two ways. The story itself was a disturbing subject. I figured it out about halfway through. The most disturbing part though was that this book had no editing! I almost couldn't finish reading because of all the mistakes.
Erin
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the way this book was written and how the story unfolded. I figured out what was really going on pretty quickly, but it still didnt ruin the ending of the book.
Tracey Sych
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read

Page turner well written I really enjoyed it
I plan to find this authors other books for sure
Clever mind
Anastasia Davies
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was a great read :-)
Ciara
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great read.

Definitely did not expect the ending. I thought it was well written. Easy to read. I liked the format but wish the characters were a little better developed.
Rebecca Konik
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My Sisters Shrink

Excellent. Story kept moving. Hard to put down, as it always kept you coming back for more. Thank you Heather Balog
Gail
May 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Badly written and obvious.
Maria Fortune
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dorilyn
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Can letters reveal the truth?

An interesting read with a twist. I liked how the author used letters to explain the past and unveil the reality.
Jennie
Feb 17, 2016 rated it liked it
I found this book OK enough to like. It is different than what I normally read, had an interesting premise, and was short. All pluses.

The entire book I felt pity for our twin that would only communicate through letters. Literally the entire book. It was fairly emotionally exhausting pitying something for that long. Now though, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because it's over. Whew.

The story should come with trigger warnings. I don't have issues, per say, with the content but I'm assuming people
Yaaresse
Feb 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
To quote Dorothy Parker, “This wasn't just plain terrible, this was fancy terrible. This was terrible with raisins in it."

The descriptions and dialog read like a cross between a third-rate soap opera and an ad for erectile dysfunction: forced, corny, and overdone. The plot might have turned out to be OK (although I felt like it was going to end up being very predictable), but after 40+ pages of this, I couldn't stand anymore.

At one point, a character says, "Shannon and I were as different as ni
Evey
Aug 23, 2016 added it
Recommended to Evey by: Amazon
It had a few of grammatical errors, otherwise a pretty good novel. This book is about Shannon, an adult that tries to commit suicide on the night of her wedding. Her fiance put her in a psychiatric hospital but she was being released because the insurance wouldn't pay for her care anymore. She has to attend sessions with a psychologist named Dr. Wallace but she only writes letters to Dr. Wallace and doesn't really speak during their sessions. That is why Dr. Wallace calls up on Shannon's twin si ...more
Judy
Apr 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
This is a gripping story of a psychologist trying to understand a patient who tried to commit suicide on her wedding day, and who will only communicate with her through letters. In order to get another perspective on the events in the letters, she asks to interview the patients twin sister. There are a couple of major twists along the way, the most important of which I unfortunately figured out pretty early on in the story, bringing down my rating to 3 stars. Nonetheless, it definitely kept my i ...more
Beth
Apr 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Bad editing

I figured this out about half way through but not why. A tragic life of neglect and abuse created a shattered person. The question is can she truly recover? Given I am a therapist this is a very interesting case study. A bit hard as a bloom using the letters as communication with Shannon.
Tina Marie
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another awesome book by this author!! Can you imagine having a crazy twin sister who ruins your life plans? Well Shannon Clayton can! This nail biting book takes you on a wild ride into the lives of twin sisters. Can they forget the past & move on?
Nancy S
This book is interesting, and a novel take on a diary format. Unfortunately, i saw the "twist" coming from about page 20. It was still an okay story, just not as amazjng as others seem to have thought.
Julie
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a story of "Katherine" who is trying to make sense of her twin "Shannon's suicide attempt and the letters that she wrote to her psychiatrist. This story is a new perspective on someone dealing with mental health issues.
Irene Rice
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good book. Flows well. However in the very beginning I kind of suspected the end... and I was right -- I won't say anything more so as not to spoil the book for another person.. but it definitely held my interest... I would recommend it.
Cr Mania
Loved the way the author handled the plot in this book. She left just enough clues along the way to give the reader an idea of what was really happening...without revealing too much too soon. I found it to be a very enjoyable and quick read!!
Scott Calhoun
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Loved this book!

Oh my Goodness! What a surprising ending this book contained. I could not put the book down & read straight through. So different from my usual reads & enjoyed very much.
Christine
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Well written and deeply moving story of walking through life with a mental illness brought on by trauma. Very sad, loved the perspective from which it was written.
Beth Harris
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love it when a book has you guessing right up until the last few pages! Didn't see that ending coming at all. Fab book!
Janice Hurst
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Strangely good.

I found this an easy read and tried hard to like. It's really my kind of novel. It was more like something like a psychology class case study

• Smoke Screen
  • The Cornish Knot
  • Greater Than the Still
  • The Things We Save
  • The Good Liar
  • No More Slooping, Sara Sue!
  • This Is Life
  • Your Iowa Grandmother's Recipe Book
  • One Good Reason
  • Broken Arrows (The Cupid Chronicles #1)
  • Quarter Past Summer
  • The Life We Dream
Heather Balog is a self proclaimed "Bad Mommy" and the author of ten novels, including the Amy Maxwell Cozy Mystery Series. She also collaborates with her "Tween-age" daughter on the Lexie Maxwell Series for young readers. She blogs at "The Bad Mommy Diaries" which, according to her family, is mostly obnoxious exaggeration, but it's much cheaper than therapy. When Heather is not writing or complai ...more