Start by marking “Green Card” as Want to Read:
Green Card

Green Card

4.41  ·  Rating details ·  123 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
William Harper has it all: looks, money, power. There’s just one tiny problem – he’s about to be deported. Harper needs a green card. Fast. An American wife is the easiest way to get one. But where will he find a woman to marry him on such short notice?

Katherine Bishop is a full-time student, part-time dog walker, and weekend tutor. With a roommate who just ran out on her
Published December 13th 2014

Mary
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Dear Reader,

Once in a while a book quietly sidles up to you,nestles its way into your heart,happily resides there until it has told you its story and lingers,refreshing your memory with some delightful flashbacks of adorable incidents centred around a simply adorable couple!

This was an utterly addictive read,one couched in beautifully descriptive language, relating a story of love with undeniably questionable origins but one that thankfully developed as a slow burn romance,sprinkled with the re
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
When Disguise, No Matter How Abhorrent, Is a Necessity!

TYPE OF AUSTENESQUE NOVEL: Not exactly a modern-day P&P, this is more like a Darcy and Elizabeth inspired contemporary romance.

SETTING: Modern-day, Manhattan, New York

WHY I WANTED TO READ THIS BOOK:

- So many reasons – modern-day romance, Elizabeth Adams, forced/marriage of convenience scenario!
- Made me think of The Proposal – which I adored!

SYNOPSIS:

In her modern-day romance, Green Card (first edition published in 2014), Elizabeth Adams
Sheila Majczan
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have had this book on my Wish List for some time and now that it was available to borrow from Kindle Unlimited I jumped at the chance to read it. It has been highly rated in the available reviews. This is a modern variation which is only very loosely reflective of any of JA's P&P. There are characters with similar personalities/behaviors to canon but the events are entirely this author's story. While the families of both main characters also have similar structure they, too, have their own ...more
Maria
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
William Harper is an English business man. He is handsome, rich and very popular. The only thing he does not have and desperately wants, is a green card in order to keep working and living in the US. According to his lawyer and friend Andrew, the easiest way to get one is to marry an American girl, and he happens to know just the right one: Katherine Bishop. She needs money to finish her studies and might be willing to help William.

“Green Card” was a thoroughly fun and entertaining book that I
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jaff
5 wonderful stars! This is one of my favorite JAFF stories to date! Loved everything about it. The romance was dreamy! ❤ ...more
Victoria Kincaid
I'm a sucker for stories about people getting married and then falling in love. I just think it's a great, fun situation. This book uses it beautifully and I had a great time reading it. I particularly liked Kate's characters -- she was upbeat and fun and just the kind of person William needed to loosen up. It had a bit of Pride and Prejudice inspiration, but didn't really follow the plot. You could see how the characters were inspired by P&P though. Overall a fun, sweet, romantic read!
Dung
Re-read 1/9/18 (reprinted with additions)

Read: 03/1515

This book is loosely based on Pride and Prejudice (Moderation adaptation with a twist)

I rate this book as a 4.5 stars

Premise:

William Harper is a high power business man from England with looks and money. He's working on a major deal and can't risk his work visa expiring due to some issues. His quickest solution is to get a green card and by doing so he needs to marry fast and to an American.

Katherine Bishop is a full-time student, part-time
Lori
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Playful banter, snappy dialogue, witty comebacks ... conflict, romance, ideals, humor ... this is the PERFECT romance novel those of us who appreciate well-written dialogue. It looks daunting, but it reads like a fast-paced screenplay. A delightful vacation read--light, easy, fun with the perfect level of suspense. I found myself laughing out loud along the way, recognizing characters from both my New Jersey roots and my rural Kentucky upbringing. A couple of scenes even made me tear up. If you' ...more
Lynn
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable romance.

This is a fun and very lovely book to read. It tells the story of Will and Lizzy, who marry for expeditious reasons, and then slowly fall in love. It left me with a very warm and happy feeling at the end. If you are looking for a pick-me-up when feeling down, this is the book to read.
Candy
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-review, romance
4.5 stars!!

I loved this story! Green Card is a fun romance that captured my attention so much so that I didn’t want to put it down! It's a low angst story. Yes, there are small disagreements, but not the gut wrenching moment that sometimes I can’t bear to go through before the happily-ever-after. Instead, it seems to come smoothly to the HEA and finishes up with an excellent epilogue!

William Harper is in a bit of a bind. He is working on a huge merger and due to a problem with his visa may have
ana darcy
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Harper needs a green card and his only way of getting it is an American wife. His friend and lawyer recommends Lizzy, her girlfriend's sister.
They have a deal and they need to be together a bit more of two years. In the meantime they have to live as a couple and have dates and attend events.
Harper is very serious, duty-bond. Lizzy is intelligent, spirited, determined ad lively.
Harper is a young CEO. Lizzy is getting her MA but she has several jobs to pay her bills.

Modern variation of Pride and P
Rodrigo Acosta
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So good!

This is not a retelling of P&P, but there are nods throughout the story. This is a completely new story, and I loved it! Ms Adams does a great job of taking us through the story and watching these characters fall in love. They’re dialogue with each other is well written. Definitely worth it. Ms Adams does it again!
Wendelah1
May 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
It was well-written and enjoyable, if predictable.
Sheila Mclean
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Bright and Sparkling, and I Couldn’t Put it Down

Green Card by Elizabeth Adams

4.5 stars out of 5

I was smiling while reading this book. It was, indeed, bright and sparkling like champagne, and I couldn’t put it down. Why? Is it perfect? Well, no; it was, however, entertaining and well written, and I feel like I was watching a talented person master her craft before my eyes. I am excited by the author’s potential and I can’t wait to see what she is able to do.

If you’ve read enough romance, you wil
Warmisunqu Austen
Mar 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: reseñas

-------------------| Blog | Facebook | Twitter |-------------------

3.5 Austen

Una historia con mucha frescura muy en el estilo de una comedia romántica, de allí lo entretenido que son muchos de sus capítulos. No es lo mismo casarse por amor que por conveniencia. Dos personas que entran en un proceso de entendimiento mutuo por un contrato comercial que beneficia a ambos, puede resultar inesperado. Hay una descripción al detalle de esa evolución con una constante por mantener la dosis de realismo e
Brittany
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was between a four and a five. I think I would have given it a four, but because it held me so captivated for 36 hours, I felt it deserved a five.

I also almost did not put this on my Pride and Prejudice shelf. It's not REALLY a variation. But it is.

This book is about a cute adorable British man who is some huge CEO in America, William Harper, who needs to get married really fast for a green card. He ends up marrying the heroine, Katie, who needs money for tuition and rent, and as the
Frances Evêque
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely one of my favourite modern P&P variations, and perhaps one of my favourite books. While the storyline doesn't necessarily stick to that which is traditionally P&P, the themes are very much still ones of love, struggle and uncertainty in a way that isn't dissimilar to the motifs in Jane Austen's P&P. A really novel take, and throughly engaging, I highly HIGHLY recommend.
Lou LaJeunesse
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-readers
A good novel will give you a good storyline and is well written. A great novel is not only well written but puts you into the story and the characters themselves. You can relate to the characters and events while sensing everything they do and what is happeng at the time. I think this is a great novel.
The story is about 2 people from different cultures and walks of life. They both have different needs and goals. They team up to accomplish those needs with a very airtight contract. They cover all
Jacquie
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Different Take

There is enough in common with P & P, but it's not overwhelming and it doesn't paralyze the plot of Green Card. It is very different from other modern versions and this makes the book refreshing. I very much enjoyed how Adams focused the story on family dynamics and healing. The two main characters, Harper and Katie, are believable and well-updated. There is a good balance of pragmatism and romance in the development of their relationship. The cast of supporting characters is
Leyton91
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
A popular concept well written: A marriage between strangers to ensure one spouse doesn't have to leave the country.

Elizabeth Adams' main characters are funny, authentic and complex. Kate and William (nice choice of names btw) each have their set of issues to overcome. But by the relatively slow pace of their romance (though there is a connection from the beginning) leads to friendship, partnership and love. William seems a bit stoic in the beginning but ones you see past the facade you cannot h
Debbie
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was disappointed in this book

I bought it because it was advertised as a modern version of Pride & Prejudice. I didn't care for the use of the "f" word and the sex scene details. The distracted from the story. The story was also too drawn out. Not enough content for the story line. It would have been okay if it was a free book, but it was not worth $5.
Amy
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Greencard is quite a bit different from other books I have read. I did thoroughly enjoy it. It was fun, romantic, somewhat a modern day Pride and Prejudice story. Even though, because they were 500 pages, it still didn't take me long to get through it. Too good to walk away from. Five stars
Elaine
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a must read!
Laura Tanner
Dec 27, 2017
Vaarin
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Unputdownable!
What an absolutely fabulous read. It's the kind of book that you don't want to end I slow read on purpose to make it last longer. It is a substantial read at over 500 pages which gives many hours of entertainment. Not a dull moment from start to finish, I absolutely loved it!

I thought it was warm, thoughtful, exceedingly funny, emotional, romantic, passionate and thrilling.

This contemporary romance is not quite a P&P variation but I recognised several of the characters although
Shane & Michelle
Svetlana Krajinski
rated it it was ok
Apr 26, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Elizabeth Adams is a book-loving, tango-dancing, Austen enthusiast. She loves old houses and thinks birthdays should be celebrated with trips—as should most occasions. She can often be found by a sunny window with a cup of hot tea and a book in her hand.

She writes romantic comedy and comedic tragedy in both historic and modern settings.

She is the author of historical fiction books The Houseguest