Start by marking “Lilies on Daybreak Pond (The Men of Lancaster County)” as Want to Read:
Lilies on Daybreak Pond (The Men of Lancaster County)

Lilies on Daybreak Pond

(The Men of Lancaster County #0)

This free short story prequel by bestselling author Mindy Starns Clark offers an exclusive bonus to The Men of Lancaster County series by Mindy Starns Clark and Susan Meissner. Fans of the series will enjoy this brief opportunity to revisit a family they have grown to love, and new readers will be introduced to a life-altering act that ends up reverberating throughout the

Published December 15th 2014 by Harvest House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Lilies on Daybreak Pond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lilies on Daybreak Pond

Start your review of Lilies on Daybreak Pond (The Men of Lancaster County)
Rachel
I loved this book. The storyline was a bit unusual- always a plus for me, although not essential. It's usual to see/hear of a woman's pain/hurt/anguish, however we seldom see it from the other side. This portrayed those feelings and I felt them right along with Joel. It was bad enough that his oldest daughter ran away from home but then for her dog to disappear.... The characters were well developed and as far as I can recall there were no editing problems (a big plus for me). I don't recall rea ...more
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is an e-short prequel to the Amish Men Of Lancaster County series, showing how the father of our first hero's mother (in The Amish Groom) felt when his daughter left home without warning. A lost dog added insult to injury and the father is left floundering, unable to work, just trying to heal his relationship with God and come to terms with his loss. I enjoyed getting to know Joel a little better.

To those who read the prequel and are judging the series by this, don't. The series is wonderf
P.S. Winn
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this short story and want to thank the author for giving this book free and letting readers enjoy her writing style. A very descriptive read which takes readers to the life of a family on Daybreak Pond, where tragedy has struck when one of the children becomes a run away. The author shows a gift for sentiment in this story and readers will find a bonus chapter at the end introducing another book by this author.
Agnieszka
Usually I'm not a fan of Amish ficiton and was surprised I really liked this contemporary short story.

My only two issues were:
- the use of the German-influenced Amish language (though with adequate translation for a change) I'm aware it's part of the culture and that way important/making sense in these books but I'm still not liking it.
- It appears to me like the story is a continuation of a previous book (which ii's not as far as I could see)

Apart from the style I loved the way spiritual values
J. Kahele
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Blurb:

It’s coming on spring, and Joel Miller is beginning to
understand that his daughter is never coming home again. Three months ago,
18-year-old Sadie snuck away in the dead of night, breaking from the Amish
faith to live the life of an Englischer. The family she left behind has
been dealing with the loss ever since—especially her father, who is still
struggling to comprehend how God could have allowed this to happen. Now the
family dog has gone missing as well, and Joel is determined to find
Tanesha
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is book had been on my to read list for a while. So I had forgotten what it was about. So, when I decided to read it today, I just thought it was some kinda period drama story. Then, as I started reading, I just thought it was about a family man on a farm.
Finally, all the clues connected and the light bulb in my head went off. Lilies on daybreak pond is an amish story. I was really surprised because all I know about the Amish is what's on Lifetime. But this story changed my view. It was ve
Cindy
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
This was a free short story that I picked up at Amazon. It is a prequel to the series, The Men of Lancaster County.

After reading this wonderful short story, this is a series that I definitely have to read. The author has such a beautiful descriptive voice that I felt as if I too stood there looking at the pond. You could almost feel the pain that Sadie's family felt at her disappearance.

If you are reading this series or thinking about it, this is a prequel that I would highly recommend!
Elaine
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-chlenge
This is the story of daughter who suddenly leaves her Amish family. She is said to have left a note for the family but the author doesn't let us know what she wrote.
The girl's father can't accept the fact that she's gone and worries about her. His trust in God is the only thing that can help him in his sorrow. The lily pond she had created with so much love will always remind him of her
Barbara
This is a bittersweet short story that is a prequel to the Amish Men of Lancaster County series. It was not totally satisfying by itself, but that is probably the intention, so that you will read the series. God answers prayers in unusual ways in this one, and it was a beautiful example of an Amish family dealing with joy and heartache together.
Gail
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This story is a prequel to the Men of Lancaster County series. If this is any indication os the series it should be fantastic. A missing dog brings back reminders of a daughter lost to this Amish family as she has run away.
Valerie
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Can't sleep

Not being able to sleep I grabbed my kindle to read. This was a nice little story and I now want to look for the rest of the books.
Lila
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspirational
A short revelation of family and finding God's love in difficult situations. Well done.
Cindy  Anne
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Uplifting

I enjoyed this book. However I did hope his beloved daughter would have came back home with shadow in tow.
Pam Pavkov
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Grieving is also for the living.

Lilies on Daybreak Pond is a free eBook short story written by Mindy Stearns Clark as a prequel to her The Men of Lancaster County series. This short story tells us alot about the feelings of grief a family was dealing with after their daughter Sadie left the Amish for good. The characters in this story actually made you feel their loss and sadness. The descriptions of the pond actually bring the pond to life. The storyline was sad but also forgiving. The pond har
Maureen
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The beginning was good bit then after about 10 min it was so so sad and ya get to the middle of the book and start thinking their is hope and. I'm trying to word this with. out giving anything away. I love this book I can read this 10 times over and not get tired of it. The end is so sweet I almost started crying. .

I love dogs and being outside. This book is so good if your into pup stories. The ending is so sweet.
Judy
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
This has been on my kindle forever & just now getting around to it. I enjoyed this prequel a lot and it makes me want to read the series. ...more
Teresa Merriman
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this prequel and look forward to reading more by Mindy Starns Clark.
Jimmy Bundy
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Wandering around more than I care.

As of above, I never knew you would be going next. I am sure many like your style. God bless you !!
Lorraine Anton
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good

This story was way to short. It is a prequel. I liked the characters in this book. You can feel the emotions in this book.
Susan
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This is a nicely written book. Look out for the plethora of German words.
Tricia Hungerford
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think I cried throughout this story, in a good way. I found and author to follow!
Christy
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: amish
What a sad little read this was; and unfortunately my least favorite thing to read about is Amish people leaving their families and community. I'll never understand how this makes for good Amish fiction. I will have to say that Mindy Starns Clark does write well and since I new this was short I went ahead and read it; but along with Sadie abandoning her family and the pitiful dogs this was a very sad read; certainly nothing that would have inspired me to read the next book in the series.
Robin
Apr 02, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked this book -but it left me with lots of questions. Maybe this is what a good series book is supposed to do? I felt like I was in the middle of a story I knew nothing about and the answers were not easy to ascertain. In all fairness this was a free story download to my Kindle and this story just a tease for the series. If you enjoy 'clean reads' this series and author are what you are looking for -easy and fast and nice. Get your Library to buy this author.
Lindelicious
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Basically a story of a man searching for a lost dog. However, in this search he also tries to find peace because his daughter has left home with no indication of where she might be and the family is quite distraught. Not the most exciting book out there but it’s a good read if you’re looking for a change of pace and something different/ unusual.
Sharon Paavola
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An instant attention getter! I'm glad I read this short story before starting the series which looks to be very good. Susan Meissner and Mindy Starns Clark are in my favorite authors list. The father drew me into his world and his feelings. Life goes on no matter what happens but sometimes we get stuck in our emotions. I loved how this was portrayed. Good beginning to a series!
Melanie
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is a prequel to "An Amish Groom" and doesn't really stand alone as a short story. The reader isn't told why the daughter Sadie has left aged 18 and the characters aren't well developed. Only read this if you are willing to buy the book it goes with as it isn't a happy entertaining tale on its own.
Crystal
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Read this short kindle story, was ok, I personally thought it was slightly boring.good insight on how Amish families bond.. but over all, I didn't really enjoy this.. I felt lost at the beginning bc it didn't tell what happened to his daughter til later in the story....
JoAlice
Nov 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: eshelf
It was a nice short story
Judith
Dec 15, 2015 rated it liked it
I really do not like reading books out of order. It is a good thing this one was free.
It was so so.

J R
Dec 31, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my most 1favorite short read in the world, but it was good enough.

• An Unforgivable Secret (Amish Secrets #1)
  • Unexpected Family (A Lancaster County Courtship Romance)
  • My People, the Amish: The True Story of an Amish Father and Son
  • Promising a Rose (Peace in the Valley #0.5)
  • Home to Pebble Creek (The Pebble Creek Amish)
  • The Honeymoon Cottage (Pajaro Bay, #1)
  • Genesis (Dogs of War, #0.5)
  • Amish Cinderella #1 (Amish Fairy Tales series)
  • Winter's Secret (Northern Intrigue, #1)
  • Undercover Amish (Covert Police Detectives Unit #1)
  • Highlander's Lionheart: A Scottish Medieval Historical Romance
  • Christmas at Pebble Creek (The Pebble Creek Amish)
  • Wild Irish Heart (Mystic Cove, #1)
  • Confessions of a Crispy Mom
  • Chaos (Dogs of War #1)
  • On The Run Book 1: The Elite (The Elite - Boomer and Player, #7)
  • Retribution (The Dogs of War, #3)
  • Destruction (Dogs of War, #2)
Mindy Starns Clark is the bestselling author of more than 30 books, both fiction and nonfiction, and has received numerous literary honors, including two Christy Awards and RT Book Review Magazine’s 2012 Career Achievement Award. Mindy and her husband, John, have two adult children and live near Valley Forge, Pennsylvania.

The Men of Lancaster County (3 books)
  • The Amish Groom
  • The Amish Blacksmith
  • The Amish Clockmaker

News & Interviews

“Maybe part of the problem is that you’re not making enough time for reflection and solitude and prayer. Are you avoiding God, Joel? Are you trying to run from Him the way Shadow has run from us?” He” 0 likes