Jump to ratings and reviews

The Watchmen Saga #1

The Keys of the Watchmen

Katelyn Michaels plans on hating every moment of her visit to Mont Saint Michel with her father’s new French wife. Once there, she is confused when she experiences sensations of déjà vu as she and her younger brother explore the medieval village and abbey. She is even more disturbed when she is confronted by two unusual young men, one who insists she has a sacred mission, and the other who will stop at nothing, even murder, to prevent her from fulfilling her destiny.

When the oddly-dressed but alluring Nicolas slips Katelyn a strange medallion, she is whisked back through time where her Watchmen hosts tell her she is the only hope to save Mont Saint Michel. Even worse, she learns that those trying to destroy the mount are led by a fallen angel intent on learning the mount's closely-guarded secret.

Katelyn is torn by feelings of anger at being taken back in time, inadequacy at finding a modern solution for a medieval problem, and responsibility for the mount’s starving inhabitants. She is also perturbed by her surprising attraction to the ill-tempered Nicolas. Will she stay to learn why she was chosen by the Archangel Michael and find a way to save his mount?

394 pages, Paperback

First published December 12, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Kathleen C. Perrin

6 books85 followers
Kathleen C. Perrin graduated summa cum laude from Brigham Young University with Bachelor's degrees in both French and Humanities. She is a French-to-English translator certified by the American Translators' Association, and is also an accomplished pianist and a music arranger/composer. While completing her education, Kathleen met a dashing young Frenchman, who later became her husband and greatly influenced her world view.

Kathleen has lived in Utah, New York City, France, and for eight years in French Polynesia (Tahiti) with her husband and children. While living in Tahiti she became a master scuba diver, swam with sharks, and even came to the rescue of a stranded Korean fishing vessel with her diving skills! She has worked professionally as a language and music teacher, translator, interpreter and writer. She enjoys writing poetry, and she has published several non-fiction articles, academic papers, and a religious history about Tahiti. Because of her expertise in French Polynesia, she has been invited to present lectures in Tahiti, Hawaii, and Utah at historical conferences and symposiums. She has also been a featured speaker on a variety of topics to youth and adult groups, including at an International Women's Conference sponsored by Brigham Young University.

Learning about new countries and cultures is a passion for Kathleen, and she has traveled extensively throughout North and South America, Oceania, Eastern and Western Europe, Asia, Africa, India, the Middle East and the Caucasus Region. She has visited over fifty countries, but her favorite place of all is France where she and her husband own a renovated family cottage. They have spent years exploring France's beauties and discovering its mysteries, even taking groups of tourists there for a ten-year period. Her latest passion is sharing France through her historical suspense fiction. Her experience as a tour guide at Mont Saint Michel inspired her to write her historical paranormal three-part series, THE WATCHMEN SAGA. All three books are now available: THE KEYS OF THE WATCHMEN (Book 1), THE SWORD OF THE MAIDEN (Book 2). and THE SECRET OF THE ABBEY (Book 3).

The Perrins have three children, and currently divide their time between Utah and France.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
28 (5%)
1 star
16 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 94 reviews
Profile Image for Melinda.
1,020 reviews
September 1, 2016
I absolutely adored this book, a gem offering more than I bargained for. Where do I begin to list the merits of the author and her vision.

From the first sentence you’ll find yourself swept away, caught in the mystique unable to put the book down.

Perrin provides descriptive writing furthering the intrigue of the narrative and its historical focal point. If you’re unfamiliar with Mont Saint Michel you won’t be after reading this book, I’m sure you’ll want to voyage to this landmark island in the very near future or revisit if you’ve been before.

Perrin’s ability to provide an in depth history lesson in painstaking detail without the reader feeling as if they are in a classroom or lecture environment is quite impressive. Comprehensive, well presented, minutely researched. You will know all there is to know regarding Mont Saint Michel, for those already knowledgable you’ll appreciate the historical references even more.

I’m not a huge fan of time travel, I feel it’s overdone, often poorly executed but Perrin manages to weave time travel with ease, so well done. The disparity between the 15th and 21st century was comedic and enjoyable – not overdone and well paced, extremely clever too. A wonderful example of how time travel works without the monotony along with the heaviness of alternating centuries. Truly the merging of past and present at its finest.

The faith references peppered throughout the book are provoking and dimensional. Good and evil displayed, our main protagonist possessing a spiritual connection enhancing her role.

Katie starts off questionable, as the story unravels she blossoms by stepping up to the plate. Her actions admirable, her strength combined with her courage surprises you earning your respect. Nicolas evolves and becomes endearing, Jean a man with compassion, memorable as his painful past is shared.

Perrin undoubtedly creates a very enjoyable read full of suspense all ages will appreciate. The information regarding Mont Saint Michel is outstanding. Fans of historical suspense set in Medieval France will relish Perrin’s amazing debut work. I cannot wait for the sequel.
Profile Image for Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede.
1,911 reviews763 followers
April 27, 2015
This book was really good. I was a bit afraid it would be a bit preachy in the beginning when they started talking about the Bible and fallen angels. Nothing wrong with that, but I have kind of read a little too much theology that I need a break from it. But after a while my worry about it just melted way and I found myself really enjoying the story.

Katelyn Michaels is a wonderful character. She isn't perfect; she had problems adjusting to having travelled in time like any seventeen year old girl would have. Heck I would have had problems with that. But after a while she slowly starts to adapt, to mature and while she is stuck in the past trying to save Mont Saint Michel she also learns to forgive her father. In many ways, this trip to the past teaches this modern girl how to become a better person, less egocentric. It was interesting to read how Katelyn, Jean (the old Watchman, Nicholas teacher) and Nicholas worked together to save Mont Saint Michel, things that we take for granted, modern inventions can be really terrifying for people in the year 1424.

I was a bit torn about the Nicolas and Katelyns relationship. It started with loathing and ending with them falling in love. Not instalove perhaps, but it went very quickly. But even I'm, the world pickiest person when it comes to romance liked the couple towards the end.

I would have loved to know more about the medallion, how it came to be able to make someone travel in time. I wonder how it came to be for instance and have it ever been used before and why. Hopefully the next book will explain more about the origin of the medallion.

Kathleen C. Perrin has written a very wonderful book about a young girl whose destiny is so much grander than she ever could expect and I look forward to reading the next book in the series.

I received a copy from the publisher and france book tours in return for an honest review!

Review also posted on And Now for Something Completely Different and It's a Mad Mad World
Profile Image for Emma.
1,130 reviews40 followers
March 9, 2015
VERDICT: I highly recommend The Keys of the Watchmen to all lovers of historical suspense and Medieval France. It is funny, very smartly thought out, and packed with great information on Mont Saint Michel. Grab your key and follow Katie right now: time travel at its best on one of France most unique islands!

this way to my ecstatic review:
3 reviews1 follower
January 5, 2015
"The Keys of the Watchmen" drew me in from the beginning prologue. The characters were dynamic and evolved throughout the story. The writing was descriptive and beautifully conveyed emotion and setting. Overall, this was a great, clean (PG rated) read. I would recommend this to any age 14 and up, and am looking forward to the next book.
Profile Image for Njkinny (Njkinny's Blog).
745 reviews175 followers
May 27, 2015

The Keys of the Watchmen by Kathleen C. Perrin came as a surprise to me. When I agreed to review it I wasn't expecting the book to be so unique and fantastic. The cover is intriguing and mysterious and caught my attention right from the start and when you add the unconventional title, I knew I had to check it out.
The blurb is okay but after reading the book, I feel that it could have been made more appealing.

Kathleen's writing style is simple, engrossing and she manages to mystify the reader right from the start. She creates a seamless flow of events in the story and kept me interested right till the end and then eager to read the next book.

Time travel is a subject that has been used so many times and very rarely is it executed so as to make the story memorable. The author in this book manages to balance the present and the past beautifully in this story. The variations are developed expertly and I could visualize the eras which was very enjoyable.

The characterization is well done and characters come alive right before the readers' eyes. I questioned the existence and the motivations of several characters in this book but then was impressed as they slowly developed and played their roles.

All in all, The Keys of the Watchmen by Kathleen C. Perrin is a different book and a unique experience that I enjoyed and recommend to historical and paranormal lovers. 4 out of 5 to it and I hope to read more from Kathleen in the future.

I received the book from the author and the tour organizers and I am very thankful to them. The above review is my honest and unbiased opinion and in no way influenced.
Profile Image for Gabi.
228 reviews48 followers
April 22, 2015
Oh my

I freaking loved this book soo much

Probably my favorite historical fiction EVER

characters were just amazing

OTP for life

Amazing is the only word that I can use for this book

Can NOT wait for the next book :) I need more Katelyn+nickolas
Profile Image for Kenzee.
187 reviews2 followers
January 16, 2015
A bit of romance, lots of action/adventure, plenty of historical background... all the makings of my kind of book. I like how the characters actually evolved. I will be looking forward to book #2.
Profile Image for Rosalee.
41 reviews32 followers
February 9, 2015
My mom got me this book, So I wanted to give it a good try. Generally, my rule is to give a book 50 pages or 5 chapters to grab me. Though some books have a slow start, I feel like that is enough for me to get a feel for if I would like the book or not.

Well, I finished over 11 chapters and 90 pages and was very not interested. Sorry, mom.

I had a number of problems getting through this book. First off, whats with the changing tense? One chapter will be in past tense, the next in present, and the next in past... for no apparent reason. This happenes three or four times in less than 100 pages. I generally prefer past tense, but present tense can be done well... but you need to be consistent, and if you do change tense, there needs to be a clear reason or readers will get confused. Jumping back and forth from chapter to chapter for no reason is just poor writing.

This next one has a lot to do with my personal preferences--I almost always go for a character driven plot, rather than a plot driven character. And this book is certainly the latter.

One example--there were a lot of "somethings" and "some reasons" pushing the plot forward, at the expence of the character having, well... character. "For some strange reason, I also threw in my travel kit..." "There was something drawing me up to the abbey" "For some reason, I felt protective" "Somehow, I felt I could trust him." Those are just a few I grabbed from the first couple chapters--there are plenty of other "somethings" later on. I get that we don't always understand why we're doing things. But usually we give ourselves an explanation. Other than, "Well, I just feel like the plot needs me to. Or something."

Also, if the narrator apparently doesn't speak or understand French, why are longer sentences in French written out in full? Wouldn't it mostly sound like gibberish to the narrator?

Also, the classic writing advice: Show don't tell. I'll say it again. SHOW DON'T TELL. There was so much telling going on, with only smatterings of showing. I got so bogged down in all the telling that sometimes I forgot what was actually happening in the story.

So 90 pages in, I'm putting this book down for good.
Profile Image for Maureen.
1,031 reviews32 followers
May 18, 2015
When I started reading ‘The Keys of The Watchmen’, I didn’t really knew what to expect. From the very beginning I loved Kathleen C. Perrin’s writing style, it is fun to read and there is a lot of humor to her writing. But when the story began going about Katelyn’s deja-vu moments, and an Archangel who was talking to her, I became a little worried. I’m not a religious person, and I was afraid this book would be more about religion and the bible. But because the writing was so fun, I kept reading. And I’m so glad I did, because this book was amazing. There are some religious aspects about this book, but not so much it bothered me or that I didn’t understand it. Most of all this book is about the history of Mont Saint Michel and the fight to keep it from English hands back in the hundred year war, and about a girl who feels ordinary but has much more inside of her than she realizes.

This book was a fun read, but it was also very interesting because of the history. Although, to some people history sounds boring, Kathleen C. Perrin made it really fun to read and it never became boring. Most thing are based upon the actual history of Mont Saint Michel, and some of it is fiction, but most of all it really made me want to visit the place. I definitely fell in love with the people of Mont Saint Michel in this book, and the rich history this place seems to have.

The characters in this book, where amazing to get to know. I especially really love Nicolas. He was just so passionate about what he believed in, and when this strange girl from the future came he really didn’t get her at all. But he tried, and most of all he tried to look at things from her perspective.

Kathleen C. Perrin did an amazing job with this book, and I can’t wait to read more about the Watchmen. When you start reading this book, be prepared to do nothing more than read. And get your tissues ready, because I cried my eyes out at the end.

Great job, Kathleen C. Perrin!!
1 review
December 29, 2014
Engaging Writing, Immense Insights, Unique Perspectives

I rarely read fiction, but I was drawn to read this book! Thank you Kathleen for your engaging writing and your immense insight into this amazing site along with your unique perspectives. I enjoyed your believable touch connecting your characters: Katelyn and her brother Jackson on the front end; Katelyn with her father and his new French wife; and my favorite - Katelyn with Jean and Nicolas working together in the heart of the matter. You wove the threads of a 21st century young woman and some intriguing French history (the 100 Years War) and the particulars of Mont Saint Michele and details about 15th century life during the conflict - along with time travel, discerning evil, and making solid right choices - into a beautiful tapestry. Thank you for sharing your perspective into how the people of Europe and the French specifically view Mont Saint Michele - legend and history and faith and powerful Michael the Archangel. I appreciated the pace of the last half of the book - I could not put it down. While the book is certainly appropriate for youth (thanks for no vampires or werewolves), I would recommend it for youth and adults. Congratulations and much success!
June 16, 2016
Did I enjoy this book: Well, seeing as I read this book in five days, I would say the answer is yes. However, I will say it wasn’t love at first chapter. It took me a good twenty-five percent of the book before I embraced Nicolas and Katelyn as decent and believable characters. I knew going into Perrin’s book that this would be YA, but it was a bit too angsty and whiny at the start. I nearly had some wine to mute the whining.

It was when Jean’s character fully came into the story that I took a step back and began enjoying the book. Jean helped Nicolas and Katelyn focus on the task at hand and soothe their teenage pubescent emotions. He is a father figure, which makes him one of my favorite characters. I think everyone needs guidance in his or her lives, even if that person is flawed. No one is perfect and this book reflects a lot on religion, God vs. Satan, hatred vs. forgiveness, and acceptance. Jean’s character is well-written, and he helps the main characters transition.

I also appreciate the development of the relationship between Katelyn and Nicolas. It isn’t rushed, but it is full of all the things that make up first love. I even found myself crushing on Nicolas and hoping that Katelyn would open her eyes to the possibility of falling for him. Team Nicolas!!

Would I recommend it: I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical fiction with a twist of time travel.

As reviewed by Gina at Every Free Chance Books.

Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Profile Image for Charlene.
1,063 reviews59 followers
August 28, 2016
Time Travel, but in an intelligent way.

A 21st century teenage girl and her brother are exploring Mont St Michel when they become embroiled in a good vs evil struggle. The younger brother is left with a bloody chin, but the sister finds herself in the 15th century when the English are about to attack the medieval island after a starvation blockade.

She finds that she is a Watchman when her guidance comes from St Michael himself, although he is never seen. A lot of history and fifteenth century life are crammed in this book, all in an educational and entertaining way. I was constantly wondering whether my teenage granddaughter would enjoy reading this. There are references to late 20th century culture that appeal to adult readers. There is a romantic interest, all chaste, since the Watchmen must attempt to save the monastery and islanders, not to mention all the illuminated manuscripts stored there.

I must note that the author needs to have had a good proofreader, to eliminate mistakes, such as water being "waste deep," and course in place of coarse, and T'is instead of 'tis, which occurs several times.

Profile Image for Becky.
63 reviews1 follower
January 7, 2015
Great read! I really enjoyed this story, and I loved learning about the history of Mont St. Michel. Now I need to visit France! I devoured the last half of this book, I couldn't put it down (which resulted in a couple of very late nights)! It's a great story, it's very well written, and I can't wait for #2!
67 reviews2 followers
March 7, 2015
I love the story. I am fascinated by Mount Saint Michel. I want to see this place in person. I want to know what happens next with Katelyn and Nicolas when they find each again. I am looking forward to reading Book 2. I can't wait to read it. What's the publication release date?
Profile Image for Michelle.
5 reviews1 follower
December 24, 2014
I LOVED this book. It was amazing. I couldn't put it down. The history that was involved, it was fun to read about this mount and learn all the history that was part of it.
Profile Image for Karen.
52 reviews1 follower
February 2, 2015
Great book. Loved learning more about mont st Michel and need to go back now. There were a few slow parts in the book for me but the end really drew me in and I couldn't put it down.
Profile Image for Lindsay.
576 reviews21 followers
April 19, 2017
The Keys of the Watchmen The Keys of the Watchman is one really good book. Once I get into the book it, I can not put it down. It got all of what you would want in a book, it has action, mystery and time travel and romance all in one book. What a way to read a book.

The author does a wonderful job of tell the story of the of the historical facts. You get to feel as if you are part of it. You want to help the characters. You learn about christianity though this book as well. The Archangel Michael and Lucifer (Satan, Devil)  and one of the fallen angels that is mention in the book is Abdon.
The book is about good and evil and saving the mount. We have a fallen angel Abdon and Nicolas and Katelyn. We are mostly in the year of 1424. We have Jean and Katelyn and Nicholas who are called Watchman but will they save Mount Saint Michael?
Profile Image for Denise.
239 reviews9 followers
April 24, 2015
Full disclosure: I was chosen a Goodreads winner and received a paperback copy of The Keys of the Watchmen by Kathleen C. Perrin in the mail. That in no way influenced the review that follows.

At the end of her own review of this book, Kathleen Perrin mentions her goal of making the reader burn with desire to visit Mont Saint Michel, and she definitely accomplished that! I was delighted, upon completing the book, to learn that there are 100+ photos that she has taken of Mont Saint Michel on her website (https://www.kathleencperrin.com), and that there will be a second book, hopefully before the end of 2015. (I was sorry not to have been able to buy it right away, when I finished reading this one last night!)

To say that I savored this book would be an under-statement. It is a well-crafted story with interesting and unique characters and includes several of my favorite story elements: time travel, religious life, and a French setting. Like Ms. Perrin, I am married to a Frenchman, and I was delighted to read a well-researched and fun story set in both the present and in 1424 in France.

The only reason that I didn't give this 5 stars is that there are a couple dozen errors in it -- not terribly distracting, but a few misspelled words, incorrect tenses, typos, and in a couple of places a wrong word used. These would be easy corrections. I should note that I didn't find any typos in the French words, however, which is often a pet peeve of mine when American authors include French or French-speaking characters in their novels. Kudos on the French.

All in all, a really nice beginning to a series that definitely left me wishing I could start right in on book two! Thanks so much for the opportunity to read and review this story.
Profile Image for Lucy Pollard-Gott.
Author 2 books42 followers
January 25, 2016
What an enchanting book! You can see its beautiful cover, which shows the island fortress of Mont-Saint-Michel off the coast of Normandy. Perrin’s heroine, 17-year-old American teen Katelyn Michaels, is visiting the Mount as a tourist with her younger brother Jackson, when she becomes enmeshed in a centuries-long fight to destroy Mont-Saint-Michel and its place in history: both as guardian of France at a crucial time and as bulwark again Satan and his fallen angels. She is attacked by one of those demonic figures, called Abdon, inhabiting someone in her time. She is also given a key by a “Watchman” from the past, and to escape Lucifer’s henchman–her personal adversary–she must use the key to go . . . she knows not where. She wakes up in 1424 to discover that she herself is a Watchman. How will she react to this news? How would we?

Kathleen Perrin’s instincts for portraying a 21st-century teenager’s speech and emotions are unerring, and she has created one of the most engaging, instantly involving characters I have read in quite a while. She is confronted with a venerable mentor, Jean le Vieux, who teaches her to live and function in medieval France, and the 19-year-old Nicolas le Breton, who finds her exasperating and then, as you might guess, irresistible. Together they must try to defend Mont-Saint-Michel, weakened after a long siege by the English, from an impending attack. Her wits, courage, and modern-day know-how will be tested to the utmost. I am eager to begin on Book II of The Watchmen Saga, The Sword of the Maiden.
Profile Image for Diana.
723 reviews23 followers
March 25, 2015
copy from France Book Tours
First, I really enjoyed this book. There are a couple of things I think really made all the different elements of this story work. 1) The story begins with and interesting tease, "banished. They had been banished." Immediately I was interested to see who was banished, why, from where etc... 2) Mont Saint Michel is a fascinating place to learn about. Even though I've been to France and loved it, I'm disappointed I did not know about Mont Saint Michel. 3) Katie (the main character) is just an everyday teenager and she finds herself in a very extraordinary situation.

When Katie is transported to the past the story takes on a whole different feel. Now Katie is thrust into the past, she is basically fighting for survival in the mist of war torn area. In a surprising twist of events Katie is the "key" for the survival of Montois who live at Mont St. Michel. Overall, I thought this was a fascinating story. I learned a ton of information about French history. Also, the author provided some light moments so the story did not become too intense. Aside from the wonderful characters and great plot the writing was engaging and the story well-paced. Finally, the author leaves us guessing about the key that the Monk Nicolas put in her backpack and what it means. I'm personally looking forward to the next book!
Profile Image for Wendy.
104 reviews5 followers
May 29, 2015
I am a complete sucker for historical fiction, and I am intrigued by time travel (when it is written in a unique and adequately descriptive manner, making one actually able to envision themselves there in the middle of the action). I know a book is going to be great if I am completely invested in the story within the first few chapters. This book engaged me into the storyline from the very first chapter and held my complete attention until the very end. I often read more than one book at a time because I love variety, but I didn't read a single other book while I was devouring this one, it was that good! I felt a little bit of an addictive tendency as I just couldn't wait to get back to it after having to deal with real life, everyday necessities!

Get this book. Just know that it will take over your life from page one until it is done. I ate an entire bag of Brookside chocolates during the reading of this book -- the huge bag! All of it. I am ashamed, thank you very much. But, oh so satisfied!!!

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this ebook for purposes of review. No other compensation was received. All opinions are 100% my own.
Profile Image for Erika Messer.
176 reviews15 followers
May 27, 2015
The Keys of the Watchmen is a fantastic voyage full of twists and turns that you never see coming. Between the mysterious monk and the amazing setting of the beautiful Mont Saint Michael in France this is a thrilling novel that is full of plots and subplots and at the center of it all is a small medallion that Katelyn does not fully understand until it takes her back in time and she realizes that she is the only hope for the survival of the town. It was really fun to watch Katelyn grow into her own - when we first meet her she seems to be a strong-willed girl but throughout the novel she becomes a heroine in her own right. And it's made even better that even though it is her and her brother SHE is the one that is the heroine - not a male figure. A very powerful message for all women. But the big question is will she succeed in the past to save the future? Check out this awesome book and find out! Definitely a great read for those who love mystery, suspense and a little bit of swashbuckling :) I received a complimentary ebook in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Emily.
51 reviews
January 14, 2015
Though the start is a little slow this book still grabbed my attention right at the start and the story soon picks up in pace. I especially loved how easy it was to learn a little history right along with the main character. I learned a few historical things that I didn't know before. There is also plenty to think about as the heroine follows her hero's journey. The author includes and integrates many historical and scriptural thoughts and elements. There are plenty of moments where I stopped reading thinking 'wow, I never thought about it like that before'. Now that I am finished there are even a few things that I want to go look up and think about a bit more.

I am ready right now for the next one, but, it isn't out yet. Guess I am stuck hungry for more!
217 reviews1 follower
February 24, 2015
I would like to thank Goodreads and the author for this great book. From the very beginning I was pulled into the story and had a hard time putting the book down. It was a fast paced story and a quick read. I loved all the historical information about Mont Saint Michel, France. I can't wait to read book 2 of this saga.
4 reviews
February 3, 2015
I finished this book a few weeks ago and can't get it off my mind. It makes you think. It was a wonderful lesson in French history, a great mystery, a romance and fun read. It picks up gradually and by the middle of the book you can't put it down. I loved this book. I want to go to Mont Saint Michel as soon as I can. I am glad I read this book before I go! It will mean so much to me.
27 reviews
February 3, 2015
What a great story line! I loved my visit to Mont Saint Michel, and reading the book makes me want to go back. I especially liked the way the heroine used modern-day solutions from her backpack to solve the problems she encountered.
Profile Image for Chris.
161 reviews
March 7, 2015
I absolutely blasted through this. I loved it. I loved the history, I enjoyed the story. It was well written, well thought out, and very well edited. I would certainly read more by this author, and would strongly recommend to others.
3 reviews
March 9, 2015
Loved this story

I thoroughly enjoyed this story of Mont St. Michel and Katelyn, the 21st century heroine who helped save it from the devil and the English in 1424. So much history. And fiction together for a rousing read.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 94 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.