Start by marking “The Night Sister” as Want to Read:
The Night Sister

The Night Sister

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  15,869 ratings  ·  2,129 reviews
Once the thriving attraction of rural Vermont, the Tower Motel now stands in disrepair, alive only in the memories of Amy, Piper, and Piper's kid sister, Margot. The three played there as girls until the day that their games uncovered something dark and twisted in the motel's past, something that ruined their friendship forever.

Now adult, Piper and Margot have tried to for
Audiobook, eAudiobook, 10 pages
Published August 4th 2015 by Random House Audio

To ask other readers questions about The Night Sister, please sign up.
Chris There is no strong language in this book, at least no cursing if that is what you are wondering about. There is not even much gruesome detail. I'd…moreThere is no strong language in this book, at least no cursing if that is what you are wondering about. There is not even much gruesome detail. I'd rate it PG.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Beth
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  15,869 ratings  ·  2,129 reviews

Delee
I like horror that isn't gross- It's my favorite. It takes me back to the 70's. A time when suspense meant something...a decade when horror meant building and building on layers of suspense...but not always to a blood bath conclusion. Horror can mean suspense... without gore. And this is one of those instances.

The Tower Motel-

photo 15b9d24c-9b2c-4a89-9588-cc09c7b9cfe1_zpswvm1jdiy.jpg

Vermont 1950s...

photo b00ea731-5322-4937-8814-90c05907f3ca_zpsnurrjsjy.jpg

Sylvie and her younger sister Rose- are sisters as different as they can be- The beautiful and blonde Sylvie- that writes letters to Alfred Hitchcock, and
Diane S ☔
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Sometimes things are not as they appear, and in McMahon's books this is usually the case.
Two sisters, one sister and an uncle go missing. Years later three friends find a big secret, a secret that end their friendship.

Takes place in an old hotel, one built with a tower. Starts off rather innocent and slow, than before you know it you are absorbed in the story and the characters.

Strange, creepy, unbelievable all the things usually associated with this author's novels. The things that go bum
Carol
3.5 Stars

There be monsters here and Room 29 at the decrepit crooked Tower Motel is where all the deepest darkest secrets are hiding, wanting to come out at night.

While not particularly scary, The Night Sister was atmospherically creepy and a markedly good mystery early on and at the finish line with some pretty cool clues in the form of letters to Alfred Hitchcock along the way. Enjoyed it.

Melisa
Feb 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, paranormal
Dang, I didn't realize this was a supernatural thriller - it's not really my jam. I'm more of a whodunnit gal myself. That being said, if you go into this with that knowledge, it is a great book. Jennifer McMahon can scare me like no other.
Stepheny
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You want a spooky October read before the month ends? Well, look no further. Do yourself a favor and pick this one up. Quickly! There isn't much time left!

Jennifer McMahon’s writing reminded me a lot of Kate Morton. Story-telling at its finest and a story that covers 3 generations of a family and their life at the Tower Motel.

The story opens with a brutal murder. A woman named Amy, it appears has murdered her husband and children in their sleep. Amy’s childhood best friend, Piper gets a phone ca
Cindy Newton
This started out in a very promising way, but at the end I felt . . . underwhelmed. I can't explain it; the suspense built up nicely over the course of the plot, and the author juggled the three storylines competently. The story starts in 2013 in London, Vermont, with Amy and Piper as adults, then switches to Rose (Amy's mother) as a young girl, then to Amy and Piper as young teenagers. The story progresses evenly with these three viewpoints, and the tension steadily mounts. I can't really go in ...more
Dianne
Jul 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suspenseful and entertaining "thriller-lite" story about a dark family secret that spans several generations and is told by alternating narrators. You'll probably figure it out before the end, but it will keep you turning the pages. If you read and enjoyed McMahon's "The Winter People," you'll probably like this. A 3.5 for me.
Alissa Patrick
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: great-escape
This is the same author who wrote The Winter People, another book that creeped me out and left me wanting more. I think I have a new favorite author.

In my opinion, this book is perfect for the fall/Halloween. It does take a little bit of effort to pay attention to the timeframe of the chapters, as this story takes place in three different time periods. However, I felt it flowed very nicely and I liked how it was broken up this way, to preserve the mystery.

A creepy hotel. Creepy people. Family me
Debbie
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You've got secrets, lies, mysteries and ghosts too? This was a GREAT book!!! I am definitely glad I was reading it during the day. I wish I could say the best parts of this book without spoiling it for you. This is like nothing I've ever read before. And while, I'm getting a little tired of that genre, this book has just the right amount. There is absolutely no way you could figure this one out. It's a one of a kind. Especially since you don't see the different genre being mixed up in this at al ...more
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm, Myrtle Beach
I read The Winter People a few months ago and loved it. Unfortunately, I feel the opposite about The Night Sister. It was very underwhelming... I kept waiting (and waiting) for something to happen. It didn't. And the twist at the end was just blah. None of the characters were great, the switching between the 3 timelines wasn't great, the whole story overall wasn't great. Definitely disappointed.

I 100 percent think Jennifer McMahon is a great writer, I just hope the rest of her books are more Wi
Dana
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as "spooky" as I had hoped, but Mc Mahon is a great storyteller. I didn't think it was as eerie as Winter People, but overall, an enjoyable read. 3.75 stars
Alisha-Dear Constant Reader
I'm really surprised to see all the five star reviews of this book. While it kept my attention, that's really all it did.

My problem with The Night Sister is that it played the same old tricks and jumps. The scares weren't all that scary. The subsequent crimes, brushed over. What about the other murders? Who cares. I sure didn't and that's not good.

For characters, McMahon drags out the same tired tropes. The weak and pregnant woman. The tough and beautiful woman. The disbelieving lawman. She wor
Tania
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, fantasy
2.5 stars. This is the third book I'm reading by this author, and although I enjoyed it, it definitely was not in the same league as Don't breathe a word or even The winter people. This is because The Night Sister falls into the fantasy genre, whereas Don't breathe a word was a little bit more unclear as to where it fits in. I did however liked the setting, as well as the flashbacks to their youth, and I read this while on holiday, which was a perfect fit.
The Story: Once a thriving attraction in
Kimberly
4.5 stars.

THE NIGHT SISTER, by Jennifer McMahon was so much more than I was expecting it to be. I had read nearly 75% in one sitting, the suspense and smooth writing style pulling me in completely.

In the 1950's, the Tower Motel was home to two sisters, Sylvie and Rose. After Sylvie supposedly left for Hollywood to make her fortune on the big screen, life there was never the same. In the 80's, a beautiful, willful girl named Amy lives there with her Grandmother. Her best friend, Piper, and Piper
Doubleday  Books
"Sometimes all you need is to hide away in bed and lose yourself in the thrill of a truly scary book. The Night Sister, I assure you, is the perfect book to immerse yourself in. I raced through the book at breakneck speed, desperate to unravel the decades-long mystery that Jennifer McMahon so expertly crafts.

The book opens from the point of view of Amy, a lifelong inhabitant of the Tower Motel and a woman preparing to kill herself and her family. What pushed her to this desperate extreme? She l
Thomas Strömquist
My best surprise read of 2017! My first book by the author was “The Winter People” and I found that an OK read, but not without problems and not terribly exciting. So I’ve had this one on the tbr for quite some time, but never got around to it. The mid-ratings and reviews on Goodreads did not spur me on either. When I finally picked it up, I kind of think those readers read something else. Not to reveal to much, I’m going to limit myself to saying that it’s a story told from multiple viewpoints ...more
ABookwormWithWine
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ / 5

I honestly almost can't believe I gave this book a 5 ⭐ when I've only given her other books a 4 ⭐ so far. But I did it because it really deserves it.

This is another one of those books that shouldn't be read while you are home alone or at night, but I stayed up very late to finish it, it was that good.

This book is best compared to The Winter People as opposed to her other books I've read. It is a paranormal thriller/mystery so don't go into this book expecting logical explanations for
Karen
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 good story, not very scarey...I enjoyed her novel The Winter People much more
Autumn Is Azathoth
REVIEW: THE NIGHT SISTER by Jennifer McMahon

Jennifer McMahon is a must-read author for me, and proves herself once again in this electrifying novel in which she juggles contemporary present, plus not one but two different but essential past eras. Even more, she interweaves themes not usually unearthed in mainstream novels--and makes those themes utterly believable. THE NIGHT SISTER is most definitely a must-read and reread.
Shaina
Alright, this was great. I think I could see some of this coming, but some of it had me fooled. I love the mystery element mixed in with the supernatural in her books.
This one went from different viewpoints and different times to give you a complete picture that began to add up. Sometimes that method works, and other times it does not. Here it did and I didn’t find myself getting confused about what time I was in or forget whose point of view I was reading at all. The characters were so establi
Bill
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this was really good. I’ve had no urge to read this author in the past and it appears I may have judged her work merely by the titles and covers. I should know better. This was written extremely well with excellent pacing and character development and an appropriate growing sense of unease as the tale of the Tower Motel unfolded.

If the rest of this authors stuff is as well written as this one, then I am looking forward to checking it out.
Janet
Jul 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whenever I can read a book in 2 days, you know it's either an extremely short book or a page turner. This one is a page turner.

At the beginning of the story we are introduced to a lot of characters and it's not initially clear what the relationships are so I took notes. It didn't help that the narrative flashes back and forth in time but eventually the characters took root in my mind. For a while I thought Piper and Margot were Amy's sisters.

Another point of confusion was the term "mare", which
Çimen
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
The mysterious Tower Motel, which harbours a dark dark secret. The story unfolds, slowly, as we follow the events in three different time periods. We begin to piece together the bits of information we've gathered about the motel's past and the family that owns it. But there's always something lurking in the shadows, we can never be sure of what we think we know. What secrets lie hidden in the dusty abandoned rooms of the once thriving motel? Do we dare go into the tower, where the rotten stairs ...more
Shorty
Cassandra Campbell is the narrator. The novel, and the narrator, are superb.
4 stars, and highly recommended.
Nicole (Read Eat Sleep Repeat)
The Night Sister is a supernatural mystery thriller that explores the relationships between sisters and friends.

“Do you believe in monsters?”

Told over three different timelines and three different perspectives, this was cleverly plotted and well executed. What could have been convoluted was clear and it was easy to follow. I enjoyed McMahon’s writing style, and she created a creepy atmosphere that worked well with the story. The pacing was on point, unfolding at just the right rate to keep me in
Judy Collins
Jennifer McMahon returns following The Winter People, with THE NIGHT SISTER, a combination of a gripping scary crime mystery thriller, dark secrets, and a twist of a ghost, horror and supernatural.

Moving from the past to present, we learn of a crime surrounding at the rural mysterious Tower Motel, in London, Vermont, across multi-generations.

Amy Piper and Piper’s kid sister Margot played at the motel growing up, stumbling upon a terrible secret. Now Margot and Piper dig into the motel’s past
Melissa Chung
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Finished this book just in the nick of time. Wanted to finish it before the month ended. I'm giving this book 4 stars. I liked Winter People just a little bit more. Maybe I was in a funk while reading this book. I'm not sure, but it didn't grab my attention as much as the other one.

The Night Sister is about a family curse. About monsters and ghosts. About believing in the impossible. About lies and secrets. About a girl and her friends, a summer and an outsider boy always watching, but never inv
Jessica Woodbury
I've spent years reading everything McMahon writes because she's just so darn page-turning. And yet I usually find her endings underwhelming and then get all dissatisfied. But this is McMahon's second in a row that held up and I think it's not a coincidence that both books were less thriller and more horror. She does creepy well.

Don't read this one before bed, it is creepy as hell from page 1 and doesn't let up.
Holly
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
*4.5 stars

Kept me on the edge of my seat! McMahon definitely has an interesting imagination. I, most of the time, enjoy stepping into her world. Even with all her twists, they kinda freak me out!!
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
I get so frustrated when I read mystery novels and thrillers because this truly was a book that was written remarkably well. It was eerie and built this slow dread that I loved, plus the first half really reminded me of The Shining and The Haunting of Hill House (the adaptations of both, I haven't had the chance to read either original work). But what fails here is what has failed for nearly every thriller I've ever read: the ending. It is rushed, it completely takes the wind out of the build u ...more

• Thicker Than Blood (Thicker Than Blood, #1)
  • Rolling in the Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #0.5)
  • Within These Walls
  • Suicide Forest (World's Scariest Places #1)
  • Ghost on Black Mountain
  • Isis (Harrow House, #0.25)
  • The Ridge
  • House of Echoes
  • Murder in the Dark (Ishmael Jones, #6)
  • Certain Dark Things
  • The Vanishing
  • The Visitors
  • Abomination
  • The Eaton
  • House of Small Shadows
  • Breathless (Yoga in the City #1)
  • Travelers Rest
  • The Secrets of Lake Road
I'm the author of seven suspense novels, including Promise Not to Telll, The Winter People, and most recently, The Night Sister . I live in central Vermont with my partner and daughter, in an old Victorian that some neighbors call The Addams Family house.
“For some people, Rose, it’s easier to pretend the things that frighten us most don’t exist at all.” 4 likes
“she swore she was breathing 1971 air—it smelled like dust and cigarettes and long-faded perfume. Like ghosts, if ghosts had a smell.” 3 likes