Start by marking “The Rest of Us Just Live Here” as Want to Read:

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  46,296 ratings  ·  8,132 reviews
What if you arent the Chosen One? The one whos supposed to fight the zombies, or the soul-eating ghosts, or whatever the heck this new thing is, with the blue lights and the death?

What if youre like Mikey? Who just wants to graduate and go to prom and maybe finally work up the courage to ask Henna out before someone goes and blows up the high school. Again.

Because
Published October 6th 2015 by HarperTeen (first published August 27th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Rest of Us Just Live Here, please sign up.
Jenny The book is about all the other people in the background of the story - the ones who just get on with their lives while the weird things are happening…moreThe book is about all the other people in the background of the story - the ones who just get on with their lives while the weird things are happening around them, think Buffy’s classmates or the rest of Hobbiton. It is also a great coming of age story!(less)

·  46,296 ratings  ·  8,132 reviews

Start your review of The Rest of Us Just Live Here
Emily May
2 1/2 stars.
Here's one thing for certain: Patrick Ness is a total Buffy fanboy. Or possibly he hated it, but either way he paid enough attention to seemingly frame an entire book around the concept of "The Chosen One" and - specifically - Xander's quote from season 7:
"They'll never know how tough it is, Dawnie, to be the one who isn't chosen. To live so near to the spotlight and never step in it."

This is a book about the people in the background. The ones who aren't "indie kids" with names
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I was a bit disappointed with this book. I found myself comparing it to A MONSTER CALLS, which I know I shouldn't have, because they're completely opposite books from tone to message. At the same time though this book offered up different things that I enjoyed. We have an excellent diverse cast of characters & the story itself was rather unique. It's just that something about it fell flat for me. I still need time to gather my thoughts, but expect a video review soon!
Raeleen Lemay
There were definitely elements of this that I enjoyed, like the diverse set of characters and the way it was poking fun at "Chosen One" stories, but the whole thing fell pretty flat for me. I love Patrick Ness's other books, but this one didn't really do anything for me.
karen
"I wonder what was going on last night. With the lights."

She shrugs. "Probably some apocalypse."

the problem with writing a book like More Than This is that you then have to write a book after More Than This.

and i was a little apprehensive about this one. my copy has this cover:

which makes it look almost like a middle grade book, and i was concerned that it wouldn't live up to the mind-shattering acrobatic metafiction that was More Than This.

and it doesn't. nothing ever will.
but that doesn't
Caz (littlebookowl)
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Really enjoyed this! I liked how it poked fun at the "Chosen One" trope, and we see quite a diverse set of characters.
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
This is my first Ness book, and maybe I picked the wrong book.

Don't get me wrong. This book wasn't bad bad, not in a way that would make me rant and rage about how awful it is. It just wasn't to my taste. His writing style doesn't connect with me. The book was weird, and, dare I say it before a legion of Ness fans with pitchforks descend upon me, really boring.

I just don't get it. Again, not my style. I prefer excitement, a definable plot, well-written emotions and interactions, and this book
Lola
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, meh, weird, lgbt

I AM IN COMPLETE DENIAL.

No way this book was written by the one and only Patrick Ness.

That was some real crappy romance. Of all the romances in the world, this one really sucked. Bland. Cliché. Tedious. Uninteresting. Unexciting. Sleep-inducing.

Helen 2.0
This book claims to be a parody of popular YA books that feature OTT heroines and plotlines. The main characters go to high school in a world much like our own, except for the indie kids. Indie kids are the nerds with glasses, the disgraced prom queens, the child prodigies - all those teens that always end up as protagonists in a bad YA novel. Every few years, the indie kids will thwart some alien/vampire/ghost invasion and save the world, killing some unimportant side characters and usually ...more
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Will M.

Not everyone has to be the guy who saves the world. Most people just have to live their lives the best they can.

If theres a word that would best describe author, Patrick Ness, it would be ingenious. True, the story may not have the most adventurous plot but the premise sure is brilliant and completely original. I have personally never thought about the side characters, the ordinary people watching Katniss and Peeta fight for their lives in the hellish arena

...or the kid watching Spiderman
C.G. Drews
Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow. This book is incredible and emotional and relatable and OH WOW. How does Patrick Ness write like this?! (Answer: he is a wizard.) I've loved A Monster Calls andA Monster Calls and More Than This. So I was like 99% sure that I'd adore The Rest Of Us Just Live Here. But I didn't actually know what it was ABOUT, except it was NOT about "The Chosen One". And I had noooo idea it was about families and sibling relationship and end-of-school and anxiety. So, give me a moment. I ...more
Darth J
Oct 19, 2015 rated it liked it
So, since this got a bunch of good reviews, I decided to pick this up. Just my luck that Target would have autographed first editions of it:

The basic premise of this book is that the main characters here are the background players in everything else. The funny thing is that this story, while YA, makes fun of YA tropes and bloated subgenres like vampires or demigods or immortals and kids "dying beautifully of cancer". That's the whole joke about this book is that it's poking fun at how airheaded
Kai
Apr 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer, 2016
We're just as screwed up and brave and false and loyal and wrong and right as anyone else.

A boy with the simple wish to finish school, and maybe even kiss the girl he's been in love with forever. If it just weren't for all those strange things happening: sudden blue lights in the sky, animals coming back to life and the popular kids always playing heroes.

3.5/5 stars

What a refreshing and funny concept for a novel!
As always it took me a while to get into it. The first few pages, the many
Neil (or bleed)
The Rest of Us Just Live Here is a weird-and-not kind of book. I mean it's weird because it's not about the Chosen Ones (or the indie kids as this novel called them) and it's not weird because it's not about the Chosen Ones. (You got me?)

In this world we live in, we would rather read a kick-ass hero/heroine who saves the world than reading a bunch of boring kids who want to graduate high school, no? This is the main concept of this book. So, if you're not into this kind of novel, you will
Will M.
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Contemporary YA is not my genre, but this novel was an exception. I prejudged it based on the first few chapters, but as the plot developed, I started to like it.

This is a novel about a group of friends who wants to have a normal life. They just want to graduate before the school blows up. Mysterious and paranormal things get in their way, but they did all they could to succeed.

What was most striking to me was the fact that Ness managed to incorporate a lot of serious issues in this novel. It
Kayla Dawn
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
This was a little cringy and cliched sometimes but I actually had a really great time with it.

I enjoyed the concept a lot, it was a good contemporary with a fantasy twist.
The writing style was quick and easy and the characters were also pretty interesting.
Sure, especially the side characters could've been more developed but they weren't totally depthless either.

I'm looking forward to reading more of Ness' books.

On the day were the last people to see indie kid Finn alive, were all sprawled together in the Field, talking about love and stomachs.

This may be one of the most pointless books I have ever read.

Poor Mike had problems, he had OCD, his sister had nearly died due to anorexia, and he was in love with his best friend but didnt have the guts to tell her. The rest of the story
Brigid ✩
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Short Review:

This is a Patrick Ness bookso, of course it's good. It's very different from his other books, but I like that he writes something new and I never know what to expect. I wasn't as blown away by it as I was by the Chaos Walking trilogy, A Monster Calls, or More Than This, but it's still greatintriguing concept, good writing and characters, a fun and emotional story. There's kind of a "Manic Pixie Dream Girl" plotline that is mainly the thing that took away from the book for me, but
may ❀

My very first buddy read with my favourite, the lovely Lady Pim (aka Annie) of the Book Court

Looking for a book thats ridiculously relatable?? I found it.

What do you do when your dreams are about to come true? she asks. No one ever tells you. They tell you to chase them, but what happens when you actually catch one?

So many of the books we read center around the Chosen-One™, the Special-Snowflake™, the Saviour-of-the-World™, but this book is just about the everyday kids (basically and me
Dannii Elle
Patrick Ness doing what Patrick Ness does best: emotionally investing his readers before breaking their hearts.
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
The Indie Kids, huh? Youve got them at your school, too. That group with the cool-geek haircuts and the thrift shop clothes and names from fifties. Nice enough, never mean, but always the ones who end up being the Chosen One when the vampires come calling or when the alien queen needs the Source of All Light or something. Theyre too cool to ever, ever do anything like go to prom or listen to music other than jazz while reading poetry. Theyve always got some story going on that theyre heroes of. ...more
Lala BooksandLala
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
My favourite Patrick Ness book by far, it just felt like my perfect genre; contemporary but with a fantastical element that didn't overtake the character-driven nature of the narrative. I'm obsessed with this.
Stacey (prettybooks)
A new Patrick Ness novel is always a big event and this was no less exciting. I avoided reading all reviews of the book before I started because I wanted to be surprised, especially as I know Patrick Ness has a habit of doing just that.

If you read a lot of young adult fantasy or science fiction, you'll have come across teenagers that fight vampires, wield magic and join rebel groups to fight against the government or zombies. They are known as the indie kids. The Rest of Us Just Live Here is
sarah xoxo
The Rest of Us Just Live Here follows the kids on the sidelines. What everyone else is doing while the few 'chosen ones' are saving the world. The extras on TV shows. The normal people.

This book was basically a parody or satire of typical YA fantasy tropes. Chosen One main characters, love triangles, vampires, you name it.

Because sometimes there are problems bigger than this weeks end of the world and sometimes you just have to find the extraordinary in your ordinary life.

We follow Mikey, a
Sylvie
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
By Patrick Ness

3.25/5 Stars!

All I've heard of Patrick Ness were how wonderful and amazing his books are, so I decided to pick up one of his books and in this case it was 'The Rest of Us Just Live Here'.

This book was something I've never experienced with reading before, because instead of following the storyline of the heroes, it follows the normal people. The people who see everything happen and just have to continue their lives despite the demons, vampires and
Grace (BURTSBOOKS)

This, by Patrick Ness standards, was a disappointment. After reading More Than This though, I really don't know how I expected any of his other books to measure up.

By regular standards this book really wasn't that bad. It was exactly what it advertised itself as. A book about the boring kids that are always stuck in the background and their boring lives. It was a boring book about the boring kids but it still managed to be relatable in a way that hurt the 16-year-old girl still living
Clumsy Storyteller
this is my first Patrick Ness read, i heard so much about him, reading the blurb i was expecting a story of normal teenagers who made their normal lives extraordinary Instead I got this super weird confusing novel, I legitimately don't know how I feel about this book so i'm giving it a neutral rating.
Natalie Monroe
"They've always got some story going on that they're the heroes of. The rest of us just have to live here, hovering around the edges, left out of it all, for the most part."

I'm a little taken aback by how much I enjoyed this little tale devoid of knives and murder and grand soundbites. The Rest of Us Just Live Here, like its blurb advertises, is about normal kids doing normal stuff, encountering normal problems, while the Clarys and Meghans and Harrys fight supernatural stuff and have sweeping
Jenny
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is probably one of the qurikiest, most bizarre books I've read this year! It's a hilarious combination of contemporary profoundness and overly cliché paranormal romance.

Guys seriously, the para-rom parts are probably the funniest parts of the book!
Bradley
I'm not only surprised and delighted after reading this, but I was surprised and delighted *while* reading it from almost the very start.

I went, "Oh cool, it's almost like the UF YA version of a Redshirts satire, where the Indie kids all die or don't while immortals create rifts in the high school universe and there's multiple Indie Flynns and gods and ghosts and vampires roam the halls, fall in love, and then die like little preeeecious flowers,... and everyone else just lives there. Satire! A

• They Both Die at the End
  • Radio Silence
  • Carry On (Simon Snow, #1)
  • Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
  • What If It's Us
  • More Happy Than Not
  • We Are the Ants
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, #1)
  • History Is All You Left Me
  • Leah on the Offbeat (Creekwood #2)
  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue (Montague Siblings, #1)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Sadie
  • Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Simonverse, #1)
  • Solitaire
  • The Poet X
Patrick Ness, an award-winning novelist, has written for Englands Radio 4 and Sunday Telegraph and is a literary critic for The Guardian. He has written many books, including the Chaos Walking Trilogy, The Crash of Hennington, Topics About Which I Know Nothing, and A Monster Calls.

He has won numerous awards, including the Guardian Childrens Fiction Prize, the Booktrust Teenage Prize, and the