Start by marking “The Rest of Us Just Live Here” as Want to Read:

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  44,044 ratings  ·  7,819 reviews
What if you aren’t the Chosen One? The one who’s supposed to fight the zombies, or the soul-eating ghosts, or whatever the heck this new thing is, with the blue lights and the death?

What if you’re like Mikey? Who just wants to graduate and go to prom and maybe finally work up the courage to ask Henna out before someone goes and blows up the high school. Again.<
Published October 6th 2015 by HarperTeen (first published August 27th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Rest of Us Just Live Here, please sign up.
Emily I hope this doesn't confuse you further, but the town where Mikey lives in gets effected by these supernatural phases (like there was a vampire…moreI hope this doesn't confuse you further, but the town where Mikey lives in gets effected by these supernatural phases (like there was a vampire invasion before). Through the course of the book, the town gets invaded again by another supernatural force, but Mikey isn't the "hero" of the story (like, he isn't Harry Potter, or Beatrice from Divergent or Katniss from The Hunger Games). It actually gets more fantasy in the end or so, but mostly throughout its contemporary and some romance ☺️. It's so good, I really recommend it!(less)

·  44,044 ratings  ·  7,819 reviews

Emily May
2 1/2 stars.
Here's one thing for certain: Patrick Ness is a total Buffy fanboy. Or possibly he hated it, but either way he paid enough attention to seemingly frame an entire book around the concept of "The Chosen One" and - specifically - Xander's quote from season 7:
"They'll never know how tough it is, Dawnie, to be the one who isn't chosen. To live so near to the spotlight and never step in it."

This is a book about the people in the background. The ones who aren't "indie kids" with names li/>
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I was a bit disappointed with this book. I found myself comparing it to A MONSTER CALLS, which I know I shouldn't have, because they're completely opposite books from tone to message. At the same time though this book offered up different things that I enjoyed. We have an excellent diverse cast of characters & the story itself was rather unique. It's just that something about it fell flat for me. I still need time to gather my thoughts, but expect a video review soon!
Raeleen Lemay
There were definitely elements of this that I enjoyed, like the diverse set of characters and the way it was poking fun at "Chosen One" stories, but the whole thing fell pretty flat for me. I love Patrick Ness's other books, but this one didn't really do anything for me.
karen
"I wonder what was going on last night. With the lights."

She shrugs. "Probably some apocalypse."

the problem with writing a book like More Than This is that you then have to write a book after More Than This.

and i was a little apprehensive about this one. my copy has this cover:

which makes it look almost like a middle grade book, and i was concerned that it wouldn't live up to the mind-shattering acrobatic metafiction that was More Than This.

and it doesn't. nothing ever will.
but that doesn't mea
Caz (littlebookowl)
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Really enjoyed this! I liked how it poked fun at the "Chosen One" trope, and we see quite a diverse set of characters.
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
This is my first Ness book, and maybe I picked the wrong book.

Don't get me wrong. This book wasn't bad bad, not in a way that would make me rant and rage about how awful it is. It just wasn't to my taste. His writing style doesn't connect with me. The book was weird, and, dare I say it before a legion of Ness fans with pitchforks descend upon me, really boring.

I just don't get it. Again, not my style. I prefer excitement, a definable plot, well-written emotions and interacti
Lola
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, meh, lgbt, weird

I AM IN COMPLETE DENIAL.

No way this book was written by the one and only Patrick Ness.

That was some real crappy romance. Of all the romances in the world, this one really sucked. Bland. Cliché. Tedious. Uninteresting. Unexciting. Sleep-inducing.

Helen 2.0
This book claims to be a parody of popular YA books that feature OTT heroines and plotlines. The main characters go to high school in a world much like our own, except for the indie kids. Indie kids are the nerds with glasses, the disgraced prom queens, the child prodigies - all those teens that always end up as protagonists in a bad YA novel. Every few years, the indie kids will thwart some alien/vampire/ghost invasion and save the world, killing some unimportant side characters and usually blo ...more
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Will M.

“Not everyone has to be the guy who saves the world. Most people just have to live their lives the best they can.”

If there’s a word that would best describe author, Patrick Ness, it would be ingenious. True, the story may not have the most adventurous plot but the premise sure is brilliant and completely original. I have personally never thought about the side characters, the ordinary people watching Katniss and Peeta fight for their lives in the hellish arena…

...or the kid watching Spiderman fight the bully at the school hall.

I doubt anyone has ever thought about them, like really thought of them until Patrick Ness.

This creative story is inventively about a group of teenage non-heroes, the none “Indie” kids who try to just live their ordinary lives in a small town where zombies, soul eating ghosts and vampires are daily ordinary occurrences and where the Indie kids die off one after the other but which isn’t a huge deal because the non-heroes are not really affected, unless they become one of the “casualties.”

At first, I found the story kind of weird and confusing because of the unique structure with a small side story about the Indie kids at the start of each chapter, but not long after (when I finally got the hang of it), I started to really enjoy it because the writing is surprisingly easy and funny to read. The lack of action in the plot makes perfect sense because the focus of the story is the personal struggle of the individual characters who may not have been chosen as heroes but who are still heroes of their own lives.

I was surprised at the amount of social issues that were effectively tackled in the novel despite the light and comic tone. I was also impressed at the fullness of the development of the characters despite the relatively few pages (for a sort of apocalyptic novel) and satisfied at the conclusion that would make this standalone contemporary/slight apocalyptic novel one of a kind.

Lastly, I learned from the Author’s Note that the author auctioned off the chance to have the winner’s name in the book for a Red Cross fund raising project to help the countless victims of typhoon Haiyan that devastated the Philippines in 2013. :,) I think I officially love Patrick Ness now. <3

Thanks to Will’s excellent review that made me read the book. Do check out Neil’s awesome review too.

C.G. Drews
Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow. This book is incredible and emotional and relatable and OH WOW. How does Patrick Ness write like this?! (Answer: he is a wizard.) I've loved A Monster Calls andA Monster Calls and More Than This. So I was like 99% sure that I'd adore The Rest Of Us Just Live Here. But I didn't actually know what it was ABOUT, except it was NOT about "The Chosen One". And I had noooo idea i ...more
Darth J
Oct 19, 2015 rated it liked it
So, since this got a bunch of good reviews, I decided to pick this up. Just my luck that Target would have autographed first editions of it:

The basic premise of this book is that the main characters here are the background players in everything else. The funny thing is th
Kai
Apr 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer, 2016
“We're just as screwed up and brave and false and loyal and wrong and right as anyone else.”

A boy with the simple wish to finish school, and maybe even kiss the girl he's been in love with forever. If it just weren't for all those strange things happening: sudden blue lights in the sky, animals coming back to life and the popular kids always playing heroes.

3.5/5 stars

What a refreshing and funny concept for a novel!
As always it took me a while to get into it. The
Rebecca
Read this review and more on my blog!

In a nutshell: Another unique and wonderful book from Patrick Ness with an interesting perspective - it's not the "Chosen One".

Patrick Ness is without a shadow of a doubt one of my top auto-buy authors, especially when it comes to his YA books. I love them and I was so excited about this book. I'm still excited - not only to revisit the story with a future re-read but for you guys to soon enjoy it when it officially hits shelves! Luckily it met my expectation/>In
Neil (or bleed)
The Rest of Us Just Live Here is a weird-and-not kind of book. I mean it's weird because it's not about the Chosen Ones (or the indie kids as this novel called them) and it's not weird because it's not about the Chosen Ones. (You got me?)

In this world we live in, we would rather read a kick-ass hero/heroine who saves the world than reading a bunch of boring kids who want to graduate high school, no? This is the main concept of this book. So, if you're not into this kind of novel, you will
Will M.
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Contemporary YA is not my genre, but this novel was an exception. I prejudged it based on the first few chapters, but as the plot developed, I started to like it.

This is a novel about a group of friends who wants to have a normal life. They just want to graduate before the school blows up. Mysterious and paranormal things get in their way, but they did all they could to succeed.

What was most striking to me was the fact that Ness managed to incorporate a lot of serious issues in this
Kayla Dawn
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
This was a little cringy and cliched sometimes but I actually had a really great time with it.

I enjoyed the concept a lot, it was a good contemporary with a fantasy twist.
The writing style was quick and easy and the characters were also pretty interesting.
Sure, especially the side characters could've been more developed but they weren't totally depthless either.

I'm looking forward to reading more of Ness' books.

“On the day we’re the last people to see indie kid Finn alive, we’re all sprawled together in the Field, talking about love and stomachs.”

This may be one of the most pointless books I have ever read.

Poor Mike had problems, he had OCD, his sister had nearly died due to anorexia, and he was in love with his best friend but didn’t have the guts to tell her. The rest of the story though, was not only confuEdelweiss.)
Brigid ✩
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Short Review:

This is a Patrick Ness book––so, of course it's good. It's very different from his other books, but I like that he writes something new and I never know what to expect. I wasn't as blown away by it as I was by the Chaos Walking trilogy, A Monster Calls, or More Than This, but it's still great––intriguing concept, good writing and characters, a fun and emotional story. There's kind of a "Manic Pixie Dream Girl" plotline that is mainly the thing that took away from the book for me, but otherwise I really enjoyed
may ❀

My very first buddy read with my favourite, the lovely Lady Pim (aka Annie) of the Book Court

Looking for a book that’s ridiculously relatable?? I found it.

“What do you do when your dreams are about to come true?” she asks. “No one ever tells you. They tell you to chase them, but what happens when you actually catch one?”

So many of the books we read center around the Chosen-One™, the Special-Snowflake™, the Saviour-of-the-World™, but this book is just about the everyday kids (basically and me
Dannii Elle
Patrick Ness doing what Patrick Ness does best: emotionally investing his readers before breaking their hearts.
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
“The Indie Kids, huh? You’ve got them at your school, too. That group with the cool-geek haircuts and the thrift shop clothes and names from fifties. Nice enough, never mean, but always the ones who end up being the Chosen One when the vampires come calling or when the alien queen needs the Source of All Light or something. They’re too cool to ever, ever do anything like go to prom or listen to music other than jazz while reading poetry. They’ve always got some story going on that they’re heroe ...more
Stacey (prettybooks)
A new Patrick Ness novel is always a big event and this was no less exciting. I avoided reading all reviews of the book before I started because I wanted to be surprised, especially as I know Patrick Ness has a habit of doing just that.

If you read a lot of young adult fantasy or science fiction, you'll have come across teenagers that fight vampires, wield magic and join rebel groups to fight against the government or zombies. They are known as the indie kids. The Rest of Us Just Live
Sylvie
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
By Patrick Ness

3.25/5 Stars!

All I've heard of Patrick Ness were how wonderful and amazing his books are, so I decided to pick up one of his books and in this case it was 'The Rest of Us Just Live Here'.

This book was something I've never experienced with reading before, because instead of following the storyline of the heroes, it follows the normal people. The people who see everything happen and just have to continue their li
Lala BooksandLala
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
My favourite Patrick Ness book by far, it just felt like my perfect genre; contemporary but with a fantastical element that didn't overtake the character-driven nature of the narrative. I'm obsessed with this.
Grace (BURTSBOOKS)

This, by Patrick Ness standards, was a disappointment. After reading More Than This though, I really don't know how I expected any of his other books to measure up.

By regular standards this book really wasn't that bad. It was exactly what it advertised itself as. A book about the boring kids that are always stuck in the background and their boring lives. It was a boring book about the boring kids but it still managed to be relatable in a way that hurt the 16-year-old girl still
Clumsy Storyteller
this is my first Patrick Ness read, i heard so much about him, reading the blurb i was expecting a story of normal teenagers who made their normal lives extraordinary Instead I got this super weird confusing novel, I legitimately don't know how I feel about this book so i'm giving it a neutral rating.
Natalie Monroe
"They've always got some story going on that they're the heroes of. The rest of us just have to live here, hovering around the edges, left out of it all, for the most part."

I'm a little taken aback by how much I enjoyed this little tale devoid of knives and murder and grand soundbites. The Rest of Us Just Live Here, like its blurb advertises, is about normal kids doing normal stuff, encountering normal problems, while the Clarys and Meghans and Harrys fight supernatural stuff and have sweeping adventures.

At t
Jenny
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is probably one of the qurikiest, most bizarre books I've read this year! It's a hilarious combination of contemporary profoundness and overly cliché paranormal romance.

Guys seriously, the para-rom parts are probably the funniest parts of the book!
Bea
16/11/18: After a re-read I can for sure say I preferred this book the second time around so I’m increasing my rating from 3 to 4 stars. I feel I understood the stories more (there are two going on at once) and the ending was incredibly satisfying. I would recommend it if you want something a bit different.
First Review 2016: I sadly didn’t like this one as much as some of Ness’ other books. I liked the plot but it didn’t stand out to me and just a couple weeks l

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Tightrope Walkers
  • Call the Shots (Swim the Fly, #3)
  • Boys Don't Knit (in Public) (Boys Don't Knit, #1)
  • The Whole Stupid Way We Are
  • Goodbye Stranger
  • Shadowshaper (Shadowshaper, #1)
  • The Great American Whatever
  • Tinder
  • Death, Dickinson, and the Demented Life of Frenchie Garcia
  • Other Worlds
  • Ghosting
  • Prairie Fire (The Story of Owen, #2)
  • Saving Montgomery Sole
Patrick Ness, an award-winning novelist, has written for England’s Radio 4 and Sunday Telegraph and is a literary critic for The Guardian. He has written many books, including the Chaos Walking Trilogy, The Crash of Hennington, Topics About Which I Know Nothing, and A Monster Calls.

He has won numerous awards, including the Guardian Children’s Fiction Prize, the Booktrust Teenage Prize, and the Costa Children’s Book Award. Born in Virginia, he cu
“Not everyone has to be the Chosen One. Not everyone has to be the guy who saves the world. Most people just have to live their lives the best they can, doing things that are great for them, having great friends, trying to make their lives better, loving people properly. All the while knowing that the world makes no sense but trying to find a way to be happy anyway.” 315 likes
“Feelings don't try to kill you, even the painful ones. Anxiety is a feeling grown too large. A feeling grown aggressive and dangerous. You're responsible for its consequences, you're responsible for treating it. But...you're not responsible for causing it. You're not morally at fault for it. No more than you would be for a tumor.” 277 likes