Start by marking “Hellblazer: Joyride” as Want to Read:
Hellblazer: Joyride

Hellblazer: Joyride (Hellblazer #27)

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  2,872 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
John Constantine is an unconcerned, somewhat amoral occultist with a British working-class background. He's a hero of sorts, who manages to come out on top through a combination of luck, trickery and genuine magical skill.

In this volume, written by fan-favorite Andy Diggle, Constantine discovers that there is a supernatural cause for the violence, crime and drug abuse of

Published February 20th 2008 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about Hellblazer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellblazer

Quentin Wallace
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good volume. Starts out with good old ghost/zombie raising, then we see Constantine finally bury some of the badness from his past. Then we end up in the body switching story that gives this volume its title. A group of magicians (or one magician and his minions) are able to body hop and use the bodies of other people for revenge or other nefarious means. What looks at first like an altruistic but twisted offer to help a grieving family turns out to be something much darker. The ending of this v ...more
Joseph
Mar 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Borrowed from Karen.

After all the crummy comics, I've read recently, it was nice to see that John Constantine is still putting together a solid run. I'm a little underwhelmed by the forces he's put up against in this book (and apparently the next as well), but it's just plain fun to see the biggest badass in comics strutting his stuff.
Derek
This is one of those very few volumes where JC is outsmarted by his foe. It's fun to see what the rematch will look like. Great work Andy!
Kemper
Nov 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, horror, magic
A return to the old school John Constantine as he decides to drop a lot of the self-pity and begins to reassert himself as a player in the occult.
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Not bad at all. After all the angst of the Carey run and Mina's gloomy tales, Diggle brings back the kickass, Scouser Constantine.
Eric
Jun 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Interesting juxtaposition of people stealing a car and people skinriding other people.
Fantifica
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reseña de Lorenzo Martínez · Nota: 7,7 · Reseña en Fantífica

John Constantine es uno de esos personajes de cómic que apenas necesitan presentación. Sin embargo, es casi obligatorio dejar caer que fue creado por el gran Alan Moore y por Stephen Bissete y que apareció por primera vez en el número 37 de la revista Swamp Thing, antes de que DC Comics tomara al personaje y lo convirtiera en la estrella de Hellblazer. Desde entonces Constantine ha tenido varios cameos en historias como Los libros de la
Drizztl
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it
6/10
Justin
Jul 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Writer Andy Diggle, who, at the time of this writing, is tackling Marvel's DAREDEVIL and brought THE LOSERS to Vertigo and the big screen, takes a shot at HELLBLAZER and in inimitable fashion, continues to develop the mythology and potential of Vertigo's longest-running series.

Aided by artist Leonardo Manco, Diggle undertakes a small handful of tasks that immediately set his run on the series as unique.

The first of which is the two-chapter story that marries a crime noir-ish approach to Constant
Meepelous
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Reading this I couldn't help but draw some comparisons between it and my brief (very disappointing) foray into the Madam Xanadu comics. Both following similar dark occult plot lines.

Where John Constantine, for all his crusty edges, is a joy to read. The same cannot be said of the otherwise rather beautiful Madam Xanadu comics. I think one of the biggest (and least political) differences between them is that while Constantin's mythos is made up of all traditional parts - his story is original. Ma
Abhishek
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ah, what a treat! My second one of the Hellblazer series and I am simply loving John Constantine. An unconventional hero, his actions, his dialogues, his thought process, everything is a delight to observe. Andy Diggle has pulled off a marvelous story in Hellblazer: Joyride, where each action is delicately connected to the other such that it makes the reader pause for a moment to frame the whole scenario again. There is the whole angle of "an occult at work" ingrained in the story but it raises ...more
Jaimie
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Hmpf
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Reread the three stories that make up this volume in floppy form
This volume collects three stories - or two, if you count the first two as parts of a larger whole, which they essentially are. I was a bit underwhelmed by the return to Ravenscar - for a resolution to such a formative part of John Constantine's life, it felt too slight. The five-issue story that lends the trade paperback its name is pretty solid, though, and so is the two-parter in which Constantine tries to talk his way out of bei
Frank
Mar 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, horror
Really captures the inate coolness of John Constantine as he regains his mojo and gets back to work. Still hoping for a true Constantine movie. The one we got wasn't bad, but it was more of an occult Keanu Reeves movie and not all that true to the character at all. Once againn makes you wonder why studios spend all that money to buy the rights to a an established character only to NOT make a movie about that character.
Lauri
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Andy Diggle'i esimesed 4+4 lugu autorina. Esimesed 4 on koomilis-õudne või õud-koomiline oma gangsterite, jõkke uputatud inimeste ja kinniseotud ja tõusuvett ootava Constantine'ga. Teine nelik avab kurja lordi loo kes armastab inimeste kehasid üle võtta, neis igasugu pahategusid teha ja siis ohvri teadmatuna sooritatud kuritöödest maha jätta, siit ka kogumiku nimi. See lordi teema areneb edasi järgmisse kahte kogumikku. Tugev kogumik.
Darrell
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Investigating the death of a fellow magician leads Constantine to a man who has the ability to possess other people's bodies. Despite making Constantine more powerful than he's ever been before, Andy Diggle's version of Constantine comes off as more ineffectual than previous writers' treatments. This volume is somewhat political as it deals with class warfare. The ending isn't entirely satisfying, but I get the impression Diggle is building up to something.
Rena Sherwood
This graphic novel contained all of the things that I loved about Hellblazer in the first place: attitude, great art and even greater dialogue -- with a British twist. I loved the way Diggle dug into the basic drives of Constantine and dealt with all the dirt found. Also good to see Constantine up against a clever real-world (sorta) adversary. Almost makes me wish I smoked.
Jay Bullman
May 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
I have little background with this character. I've read a smattering of issues here and there and had very up and down reactions to them. This was fun and creative. There were moments when I felt like there was a whole lot of history that I just wasn't aware of but it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the present story. I'm definitley ready to read more of this from Mr. Diggle.
Jack
Jul 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Gives you everything you want from Hellblazer: weird horror, nonsensical but creepy curses, and snarky humor. This book was better than some of the other Hellblazer I've been reading lately in that over the course of one loose story arc it managed to tell several interesting and very different stories. Good horror fun.
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Hellblazer is my kind of dark. I laughed at his side comments (which means it's a good one). Constantine gets his head straight (well his straight) a kind of turning a new leaf or old. This book has murderers, ghosts, body changing, a look into his past at a psych ward and a creepy cult. The every kind of situation Mr. Constantine gets involved with.
Guy Robinson
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
It is rare to find a Hellblazer I've yet to read and this one was worthwhile finding.

Constantine suffers, often burdened by what he discoverers and what he is asked to do. In this one he confronts his past troubles in his usual low-key (and often brutal) way as a kind of anti-hero Doctor Who.

Not recommended to anyone of a sensitive disposition.
Danika
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic dark book, just as Hellblazer should be. Three unconnected stories of Constantine going up against the dark depth of humanity.
I thought the art was fantastic too, sharing the darkness of the stories with an almost grubby noir edge.
Mimi Schweid
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm in love with Andy Diggle's writing with Leonardo Manco's art. Manco's art is some of my favorite of the series. Joyride was a crazy ride from start to finish. One of my favorite trades of the series that I own at the moment.
Dean
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent stuff from Andy Diggle, he captures both the darkness of the stories and the humour of Constantine perfectly. Enjoyed the first half of the book the most, but overall a great read. Suitably murky art complements the writing.
Alida
May 08, 2009 rated it it was ok
The concept is fascinating but the execution is average. The proposed blend of magic, theology and myth is a very good concept, however the result falls flat due to the poor frame of metaphysical and theological concepts. Dante's hell metaphor is so overused and by now frankly boring.
Shannon Appelcline
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A strong start for Diggle. Constantine's 'return to form' in the Ravenscar arc is particularly good. Though the 'Joyride' arc isn't quite as memorable, it's nice to see the new, stronger Constantine can still lose.
Talyseon Talyseon
John Constantine is nobodies idea of nice guy. Necessary? Oh,yeah. His stories are thinking man's comic books, pioneering a genre I like to call Supernatural Comics Noir. Check out my full review here: Hellblazer: Joyride
Libra
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's very exciting to see John Constantine get in and out of trouble with sarcastic smooth-talking. The illustrations are awesome.
Chris Morris
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
People have been pushing me to dig in to the Constantine books for a long time -- finally did, and I'm sold. Really enjoyed this one.
Chris
Oct 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Is there anything broken that Andy Diggle can't fix. Best Constantine in years.
  • Hellblazer: Scab
  • Hellblazer: Red Sepulchre
  • Hellblazer: Empathy is the Enemy
  • Hellblazer: Rare Cuts
  • Hellblazer: Haunted
  • Hellblazer: Highwater
  • Hellblazer: Damnation's Flame
Andy Diggle is a British comic book writer and former editor of 2000 AD. He is best known for his work on The Losers,Swamp Thing, Hellblazer, Adam Strange and Silent Dragon at DC Comics and for his run on Thunderbolts and Daredevil after his move to Marvel.

In 2013 Diggle left writing DC's Action Comics and began working with Dynamite Entertainment, writing a paranormal crime series Uncanny. He is
More about Andy Diggle

Hellblazer (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • Hellblazer: Original Sins

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand