Start by marking “Islands of Silence: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Islands of Silence: A Novel

Islands of Silence: A Novel

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  56 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Islands of Silence is the story of the young Alec Marquand, who in the summer of 1914 has just graduated from college with a degree in archaeology. He has been hired by the lord of a remote country estate in the Scottish Highlands to survey the ancient Stone Age brochs that lie on his property.

Once there Alec comes upon a small island which is called Eilean Tosdach--the I
Published January 3rd 2003 by Thomas Dunne Books/St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Islands of Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Islands of Silence

Hugh
This was a book I found in a sale many years ago, but became one of my favourite novels - a moving and powerfully written book contrasting the experiences of an ex-soldier numbed by war memories and a semi-wild girl found on a remote Scottish island, and the different silent worlds they inhabit.
Jim Puskas
May 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: lemmed-it
I will not assign any rating to this book because either I failed it or it failed me, I'm not sure which. It seemed to me that Booth was trying to tell five or six stories at once, none of them successfully. I applaud his attempt but for me it just didn't work. I very quickly lost interest in what was happening (or had happened or might have happened) to the protagonist. I finally stopped at Chapter 12 and went back to the beginning to get my bearings, skipping ahead, trying to pick up the threa ...more
Howard
Oct 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fave-reads
What a surprise and a fantastic book. I had trouble getting started; but I wasn't prepared for the style, after about 60 pages I figure it out and was taken away! One of my favorites and the best read since Shadow of the Wind. After I finished I was thinking of the girl and really thought I may have seen a ghost or her spirit in my room. "She is yours" gives me goose bumps still.
amy
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
A little overwrought but successfully spooky and affecting battle scenes (hardly "battles," though, that implies some kind of agency on the part of both sides). Relentlessly flashes present-past-present-past, alternating by chapter.
Jeanne
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Martin Booth is a gifted story teller, or I guess I should say was. I am always saddened when I discover a new author, only to find out he has died. The "silence" is expressed on several levels...very complex, lots to think about.
Lizie
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An intriguing story, well written. The book opens with the main character in a catatonic state living in an asylum where he quietly observes life around him. Each alternate chapter reveals a bit more of his life story and why he has ended up in this state.
Nancy
Sep 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story - weird main character. He was extremely frustrating, but what a life story. A little confusing, war scenes are horrible.
Rose Neild
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
What an amazing novel, so beautifully written. lots of emotions. read it if you liked atonement.
Darcy
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wwii
thoroughly surprised me how much I enjoyed where this book took me.
Rodney Johnson
Andrew
Jun 03, 2014
Chris Tollefson
Dec 06, 2015
Martin Booth was a prolific British novelist and poet. He also worked as a teacher and screenwriter, and was the founder of the Sceptre Press.
More about Martin Booth...