Start by marking “The World as I Remember It: Through the Eyes of a Ragamuffin” as Want to Read:
The World as I Remember It: Through the Eyes of a Ragamuffin

The World as I Remember It: Through the Eyes of a Ragamuffin

Rich Mullins was more than a musician. He was a poet and thinker who left behind a timeless legacy. As a columnist for Release magazine for nearly six years, Rich shared his musings on faith and life, conveying the wonder and awesomeness of his God with the same depth and simplicity that characterized his music. The World As I Remember It is a collection of these personal ...more
Published March 8th 2004 by Multnomah Books

Sheena
May 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christianity, keepers
"The World as I Remember It" is basically a collection of essays, written by songwriter Rich Mullins, reflecting on life and faith. Anyone who has found Mullins' songwriting style captivating or moving will likely enjoy the essays in this collection. As his songs indicate, Rich Mullins is able to take a theological concept (however complex), relate it to real life, and share that process in an engaging manner. The essays are written in a very approachable manner -- reading them is like sitting d ...more
Samantha
Mar 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing

A treasury of Rich's engaging, intimate reflections on faith and life. You'll find yourself continually focused on the Creator, Redeemer and Inspirer of Life... we serve an Awesome God!
Nicole
Apr 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A collection of writings from Rich Mullins, an extraordinary poet and story teller. He was my favorite song writer before he passed away. This book is a real treasure.
Sarah Honkanen
Jul 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful words. Heartfelt. Truth.
very touching. I found myself wanting to read a chapter to every one I met.
Keiki Hendrix
Sep 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
‘A book to remember the writer/poet, Rich Mullins, with exceptional photography”

A collection of articles for RELEASE Magazine written by Rich Mullins and including some beautiful photos by Ben Pearson make The World as I Remember It: Through the Eyes of a Ragamuffin a book to keep in your personal library on the shelf reserved for those ‘special’ books.

Though the articles are all online at kidbrothers.net, having them in one book collection is good for those times you want to read the about the
Beth Anne
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Excellent. Rich wrote a column for Release magazine for many years; this book is largely a compilation of those articles. He was brief and poignant, understood people and scripture very well. I thought learning more about him might make me like him less, but it only grew my admiration.

P. 49: So, let us press on with no faith in our own understanding and nothing but faith in the truth that is too great to be diminished by our feeble minds and too great not to transform us. Salvation comes from G
Jaclynn
Jan 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2007

This book shows a little about Rich and what he did with life along with a collection of his articles/thoughts/reflections. Rich died a sudden and tragic death in an auto accident, he thought his work as a Christian music (most “famous” for the song, Our God Is An Awesome God) was not yet finished, but instead the Lord called him home. I enjoyed the deep thoughts on theology, although not really on theology, but really just on the relationship of man and God. Simple, yet profound.
Jerry
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Before reading this, I knew very little about Rich Mullins other than that he wrote "Awesome God" and that he died in a car accident in 1997. This book is proof that he will live on, not only via his songs, but via his other writings as well, some of which are compiled here.
Kristen Kelley
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Many, many nuggets of truth in this little book. "Faith is not a denial of facts -- it is a broadening of focus. It does not deny the hardness of guitar strings, it plucks them into a sweetness of sound." Thankful for this written word of stories behind the songs of the artist.
Heather
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I miss Rich Mullins.
Jeff
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this book, but I knew Rich Mullins wrote it, so I wanted to read it.

It turns out that this book is a collection of articles that Rich wrote for Release Magazine, between 1991 and 1996. Because of that, there is little continuity, as Rich seemed to be writing whatever was on his mind.

It begins with a welcome by Rich's manager, Jim Dunning. This is followed by "A brief glimpse into the life and music of Rich Mullins." I'm not sure who wrote that bit. One th
Dan Mingo
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have never read any of Rich Mullins writings until this book. I so wish he was still around to write more. This guy was a deep thinker and we have been blessed to have him leave us the songs and writings he did. So good!
Christopher David
This is one of those books I go back and read the various articles again and again. Mullins was a musical genius, and an authentic Christian but it's little known that he was also a wordsmith who wrote splendid articles.
Matt
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful thoughts about God. A wonderful read...almost like a devotional.
Tamara
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
this is a compilations of Rich's writings for his CCM column. it is very lovely and good.
Enchantress  debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister
Wow. I know that word is so over-used, but I have no other words. I subscribed to Release Magazine back in the day and often devoured Rich's writings like they were my daily food and nourishment. We all have spiritual mentors, and the songbook of our life. Rich was and is that for me. I just discovered this book; I can barely put it down. I am like another reviewer, I just wanna share it with everyone I meet. I am not finished with it yet....work gets in the way. (dang work). But, I don't wanna ...more
Nathanael
Jul 24, 2016 rated it liked it
This little book mainly consists of thoughts, "essays", from a column in a magazine that Rich Mullins wrote for. There are also memoirs from a few who knew him well.

I would not call myself a poet, but people say that Rich Mullins was a poet and a prophet as well as a singer/songwriter. As such sometimes I found his writing difficult for my uncultured non-poetical mind to get around. But there were times when his way of seeing things, his insights were refreshingly different and thought-provokin
Tung
Jan 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Rich Mullins is primarily known for his many best-selling Contemporary Christian CDs. The lyrics of the songs he wrote are among the best-written of Contemporary Christian artists. So it should be no surprise that his writing is first-rate. Mullins understands the basics of Christian faith so well that his love of God comes out in everything he writes. Each of the pieces in this collection are like mini-sermons diluted to their core truths. I recommend this to believers and non-believers alike w ...more
J. D. Hilde
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have read a lot of good authors, and honestly I hadn't imagined Mullins to write in this way with the same passion for God and logic in his thoughts as I've seen them in C.S. Lewis.

Deep. Profound. Full of God. Hilarious honest with a touch of sarcasm. Those kind of books, where you often think to yourself: "Really? This is exactly what I've allways felt, but I never thought that anyone out there felt the same/was troubled with the same, yet here I find it, written down in a magnificent way!"

Ch
Jordan
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
This collection of essays by Rich Mullins challenged me to think, made me imagine, helped me broaden a couple horizons, and generally just was an enrichment all around. I don't know that I could pick a favorite piece from the book, but it certainly was worth a read as a whole. I tried to savor it over many weeks, taking each essay one at a time and letting it soak.
Jacob Stevens
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting little book with a collection of articles write by Rich Mullins throughout the years before he died. It was a interesting look into his thoughts on life and the Christian faith. These writings definitely show that his lyrical and artistic skill is still dearly missed.
Joel
Mar 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
This is a collection of essays that Rich wrote. In characteristic fashion they are thoughtful, personal reflections on God and the life we live before Him. I enjoyed reading this, but I would limit the recommendation to fans of RIch.
Glenna
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-life, 2016
My husband and I would read an article every night before going to bed. We both enjoyed Rich's use of language and his insight into life, faith, and what it means to have a personal walk with Christ. At times affirming, and at times challenging, it has been a helpful book for both of us.
Mark Archibald
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Simple articles by Rich Mullins that draw us into a greater awe of a great-big-yet-approachable-and-knowable God. Rich was one of my three favorite biblical song writers (among Dutin Kensrue and Derek Webb) and the written words here do not disappoint.
Aaron
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Such an incredible little book. Simple yet profound, Rich Mullins's insight is second to none. I spent more time writing notes and marking sentences/passages I loved than actually reading the book. Food for the soul, I tell ya. Good stuff!
Daniel Cooksey
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Rich Mullins was an amazing songwriter but also a gifted essayist. He made faith compelling and honest in a way too few writers do.
Naomi
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, 2014
Great little collection of essays, a collaboration of Rich's columns from when he wrote for "Release" magazine.
Mick Wright
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christianity
Thin volume that can be read in a day or two, but these simple, beautiful pages of wisdom demand slower, repeated readings.
Angelina
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great devotional! It's definitely one that needs to be read in bits rather than in one sitting. Therefore, I recommend owning it, rather than checking it out at the library like I did. Great insight!
Tim Beck
Aug 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
a collection of short articles Rich Mullins wrote for Release Magazine. Very thought provoking. An easy read at my convenience.
  • Rich Mullins: A Devotional Biography: An Arrow Pointing to Heaven
  • Lion and Lamb: The Relentless Tenderness
  • A Violent Grace
  • Beyond Smells and Bells: The Wonder and Power of Christian Liturgy
  • Mere Churchianity: Finding Your Way Back to Jesus-Shaped Spirituality
  • Rejesus: A Wild Messiah For A Missional Church
  • Seizing Your Divine Moment: Dare to Live a Life of Adventure
  • A Farewell to Mars: An Evangelical Pastor's Journey Toward the Biblical Gospel of Peace
  • Things Hidden: Scripture as Spirituality
  • The Christian Culture Survival Guide: The Misadventures of an Outsider on the Inside
  • I Grew Up Little: Finding Hope in a Big God
  • The Anglican Way: A Guidebook
  • Answering God: The Psalms as Tools for Prayer
  • Brother Andrew: God's Secret Agent
  • Faithful: A Theology of Sex (Ordinary Theology)
  • A Fellowship of Differents: Showing the World God's Design for Life Together
  • The Sacredness of Questioning Everything
  • Speak What We Feel: Not What We Ought to Say
“Love one another, forgive one another, work as unto God, let the peace of Christ reign in your hearts. Make it your ambition to lead quiet lives. Obey. Greet one another with a holy kiss. No one will argue with that.” 6 likes
“I am a Christian because I have seen the love of God lived out in the lives of people who know Him. The Word has become flesh and I have encountered God in the people who have manifested (in many “unreasonable” ways) His Presence; a Presence that is more than convincing—it is a Presence that is compelling. I am a Christian, not because someone explained the nuts and bolts of Christianity to me, but because there were people who were willing to be nuts and bolts, who through their explanation of it, held it together so that I could experience it and be compelled by it to obey.” 5 likes