Start by marking “The World as I Remember It: Through the Eyes of a Ragamuffin” as Want to Read:
The World as I Remember It: Through the Eyes of a Ragamuffin

The World as I Remember It: Through the Eyes of a Ragamuffin

Rich Mullins was more than a musician. He was a poet and thinker who left behind a timeless legacy. As a columnist for Release magazine for nearly six years, Rich shared his musings on faith and life, conveying the wonder and awesomeness of his God with the same depth and simplicity that characterized his music. The World As I Remember It is a collection of these personal ...more
Published March 8th 2004 by Multnomah Books

Start your review of The World as I Remember It: Through the Eyes of a Ragamuffin
Sheena
May 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christianity, keepers
"The World as I Remember It" is basically a collection of essays, written by songwriter Rich Mullins, reflecting on life and faith. Anyone who has found Mullins' songwriting style captivating or moving will likely enjoy the essays in this collection. As his songs indicate, Rich Mullins is able to take a theological concept (however complex), relate it to real life, and share that process in an engaging manner. The essays are written in a very approachable manner -- reading them is like sitting d ...more
Samantha
Mar 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing

A treasury of Rich's engaging, intimate reflections on faith and life. You'll find yourself continually focused on the Creator, Redeemer and Inspirer of Life... we serve an Awesome God!
Nicole
Apr 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A collection of writings from Rich Mullins, an extraordinary poet and story teller. He was my favorite song writer before he passed away. This book is a real treasure.
Sarah Honkanen
Jul 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful words. Heartfelt. Truth.
very touching. I found myself wanting to read a chapter to every one I met.
Keiki Hendrix
Sep 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
‘A book to remember the writer/poet, Rich Mullins, with exceptional photography”

A collection of articles for RELEASE Magazine written by Rich Mullins and including some beautiful photos by Ben Pearson make The World as I Remember It: Through the Eyes of a Ragamuffin a book to keep in your personal library on the shelf reserved for those ‘special’ books.

Though the articles are all online at kidbrothers.net, having them in one book collection is good for those times you want to read the about the
Beth Anne
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Excellent. Rich wrote a column for Release magazine for many years; this book is largely a compilation of those articles. He was brief and poignant, understood people and scripture very well. I thought learning more about him might make me like him less, but it only grew my admiration.

P. 49: So, let us press on with no faith in our own understanding and nothing but faith in the truth that is too great to be diminished by our feeble minds and too great not to transform us. Salvation comes from G
Jaclynn
Jan 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2007

This book shows a little about Rich and what he did with life along with a collection of his articles/thoughts/reflections. Rich died a sudden and tragic death in an auto accident, he thought his work as a Christian music (most “famous” for the song, Our God Is An Awesome God) was not yet finished, but instead the Lord called him home. I enjoyed the deep thoughts on theology, although not really on theology, but really just on the relationship of man and God. Simple, yet profound.
Jerry
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Before reading this, I knew very little about Rich Mullins other than that he wrote "Awesome God" and that he died in a car accident in 1997. This book is proof that he will live on, not only via his songs, but via his other writings as well, some of which are compiled here.
Laura (Book Scrounger)
I didn't intend to time this reading to coincide with the anniversary of Rich's death, but I'm glad it worked out that way, because this collection of his columns for Release Magazine really showcases some of his unique and encouraging perspectives on spirituality. In his words I see a faithfulness that coexists with an inability to stay in one place spiritually -- calling readers and listeners back to our roots while questioning some of our common assumptions about God and faith.

The book also i
Kristen Kelley
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Many, many nuggets of truth in this little book. "Faith is not a denial of facts -- it is a broadening of focus. It does not deny the hardness of guitar strings, it plucks them into a sweetness of sound." Thankful for this written word of stories behind the songs of the artist.
Jeff
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this book, but I knew Rich Mullins wrote it, so I wanted to read it.

It turns out that this book is a collection of articles that Rich wrote for Release Magazine, between 1991 and 1996. Because of that, there is little continuity, as Rich seemed to be writing whatever was on his mind.

It begins with a welcome by Rich's manager, Jim Dunning. This is followed by "A brief glimpse into the life and music of Rich Mullins." I'm not sure who wrote that bit. One th
Rahchell Cornish
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As with his music, Rich manages to encapsulate what it is to be a man of faith walking in a broken world among broken people.... unashamedly identifying as one of them.

I thoroughly appreciate that he writes in a way that permits both a seasoned believer and newcomer in the Lord to engage with and mull over the same ideas. Beyond this, his incorporation of genuinely heartfelt moments..... memories.... lessons learned.

A book I know I will return to.

(Certainly identified a number of quotes to reco
Katherine VanderSluis
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspirational
Rich Mullins was more than a talented musician and a steadfast believer-- he was a deep thinker, a brooder, even, and a bit of a sage. He had quite the gift for articulating complexities and ponderings succinctly for posing question that were both probing and challenging, for requiring of us that we join in contending with and for truth. This is a sampling of such thought trails.
Dan Mingo
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have never read any of Rich Mullins writings until this book. I so wish he was still around to write more. This guy was a deep thinker and we have been blessed to have him leave us the songs and writings he did. So good!
Christopher David
This is one of those books I go back and read the various articles again and again. Mullins was a musical genius, and an authentic Christian but it's little known that he was also a wordsmith who wrote splendid articles.
Matt
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful thoughts about God. A wonderful read...almost like a devotional.
Tamara
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
this is a compilations of Rich's writings for his CCM column. it is very lovely and good.
Leigh Munsil
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faithful
One of my favorite books ever. Reminds me of C.S. Lewis in its readability, but with such a fresh, grace-based voice. Rich Mullins is just the best.
David
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A must read for any fan of Rich and his music.
debbicat
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I know that word is so over-used, but I have no other words. I subscribed to Release Magazine back in the day and often devoured Rich's writings like they were my daily food and nourishment. We all have spiritual mentors, and the songbook of our life. Rich was and is that for me. I just discovered this book; I can barely put it down. I am like another reviewer, I just wanna share it with everyone I meet. I am not finished with it yet....work gets in the way. (dang work). But, I don't wanna ...more
Tung
Jan 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Rich Mullins is primarily known for his many best-selling Contemporary Christian CDs. The lyrics of the songs he wrote are among the best-written of Contemporary Christian artists. So it should be no surprise that his writing is first-rate. Mullins understands the basics of Christian faith so well that his love of God comes out in everything he writes. Each of the pieces in this collection are like mini-sermons diluted to their core truths. I recommend this to believers and non-believers alike w ...more
Nathanael Ayling
Jul 24, 2016 rated it liked it
This little book mainly consists of thoughts, "essays", from a column in a magazine that Rich Mullins wrote for. There are also memoirs from a few who knew him well.

I would not call myself a poet, but people say that Rich Mullins was a poet and a prophet as well as a singer/songwriter. As such sometimes I found his writing difficult for my uncultured non-poetical mind to get around. But there were times when his way of seeing things, his insights were refreshingly different and thought-provokin
J. D. Hilde
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have read a lot of good authors, and honestly I hadn't imagined Mullins to write in this way with the same passion for God and logic in his thoughts as I've seen them in C.S. Lewis.

Deep. Profound. Full of God. Hilarious honest with a touch of sarcasm. Those kind of books, where you often think to yourself: "Really? This is exactly what I've allways felt, but I never thought that anyone out there felt the same/was troubled with the same, yet here I find it, written down in a magnificent way!"

Ch
Jordan
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
This collection of essays by Rich Mullins challenged me to think, made me imagine, helped me broaden a couple horizons, and generally just was an enrichment all around. I don't know that I could pick a favorite piece from the book, but it certainly was worth a read as a whole. I tried to savor it over many weeks, taking each essay one at a time and letting it soak.
Joel
Mar 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
This is a collection of essays that Rich wrote. In characteristic fashion they are thoughtful, personal reflections on God and the life we live before Him. I enjoyed reading this, but I would limit the recommendation to fans of RIch.
Aaron
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Such an incredible little book. Simple yet profound, Rich Mullins's insight is second to none. I spent more time writing notes and marking sentences/passages I loved than actually reading the book. Food for the soul, I tell ya. Good stuff!
Mark Archibald
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Simple articles by Rich Mullins that draw us into a greater awe of a great-big-yet-approachable-and-knowable God. Rich was one of my three favorite biblical song writers (among Dutin Kensrue and Derek Webb) and the written words here do not disappoint.
Glenna
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
My husband and I would read an article every night before going to bed. We both enjoyed Rich's use of language and his insight into life, faith, and what it means to have a personal walk with Christ. At times affirming, and at times challenging, it has been a helpful book for both of us.
Jacob Stevens
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting little book with a collection of articles write by Rich Mullins throughout the years before he died. It was a interesting look into his thoughts on life and the Christian faith. These writings definitely show that his lyrical and artistic skill is still dearly missed.
Tim Beck
Aug 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
a collection of short articles Rich Mullins wrote for Release Magazine. Very thought provoking. An easy read at my convenience.

• Rich Mullins: A Devotional Biography: An Arrow Pointing to Heaven
  • Filling Up the Afflictions of Christ: The Cost of Bringing the Gospel to the Nations in the Lives of William Tyndale, Adoniram Judson, and John Paton (The Swans Are Not Silent #5)
  • All Things New: Starting Where Jesus Finished
  • Rhythms of Renewal: Trading Stress and Anxiety for a Life of Peace and Purpose
  • Mr. Putter & Tabby Run the Race
  • If I Perish
  • Lambslide
  • When God Winks at You: How God Speaks Directly to You Through the Power of Coincidence
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • Daddy-Long-Legs / Dear Enemy
  • The Heretic's Daughter
  • Living Water: Powerful Teachings from the International Bestselling Author of The Heavenly Man
  • Da Jesus Book: Hawaii Pidgin New Testament
  • A Thousand Shall Fall: The Electrifying Story of a Soldier and His Family Who Dared to Practice Their Faith in Hitler's Germany
  • Journey Home
  • The Mirror
  • Journey to Topaz: A Story of the Japanese-American Evacuation
  • The Heavenly Man: The Remarkable True Story of Chinese Christian Brother Yun
Rich Mullins was a musician whose well-known songs include "Awesome God" and "Step by Step." As a teenager, he wrote songs while driving a tractor on his father's farm in Indiana. In 1995, after receiving his degree in music education, Rich moved to a reservation near Window Rock, Arizona, to teach music to Navajo children. Rich Mullins died in a car accident September 19, 1997.