Start by marking “The Healers' Road (The Balance Academy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Healers' Road (The Balance Academy, #1)

Read Book

The Healers' Road

(The Balance Academy #1)

Agna had looked forward to her overseas assignment for the last four years. It was just a side project on the way to taking over her father’s art agency, of course, but she eagerly awaited the opportunity to use her education and prove that studying to be a magical healer had been worthwhile.

Keifon never wanted to leave home. His choice was bleak: ship himself overseas, o
Published October 18th 2014

To ask other readers questions about The Healers' Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Healers' Road

Pauline Ross
This is an unusual book. Yes, yes, I know I specialise in unusual books; not for me the dull old treadmill of mainstream popular works. I read stuff you’ve never heard of. But this book is special: I came across it on a forum where the author lamented that she’d only sold… no, let’s not put a number on it. Let’s just say: not very many. So this is a book that nobody has ever heard of.

So what’s it about? Well, let me tell you first what it’s not about. It’s not about saving the world. It’s not ab
Glory
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Я понимаю, почему такие романы почти не пишутся и едва ли читаются. Я понимаю, почему у этой книги всего семь оценок, хотя написана она почти год назад. И да, я понимаю, что и сама в какой-то другой момент своей жизни могла пройти мимо.
Но оттого мне не менее грустно. Грустно, что тысячи людей восхищаются однотипными NA-шными соплежуйками или мутными историями, полными грязи и насилия - что угодно, лишь бы эпатировать публику, привлечь внимание. А необычный в своей простоте и искренности роман т
Intisar Khanani
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Strong literary fantasy, with both cultural and gender diversity. This is a story of relationships and personal growth, of coming to terms with yourself and learning to trust in yourself and others. If you're looking for action, there's an exciting moment around the 20% mark, but other than that, this is a story of developments, hope and heartbreak and new beginnings.

I'm surprised this author doesn't have a bigger following! I picked up this book on the strength of Pauline's review. Her review
Emma
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 stars for this truly lovely book. It is such a shame it has not been read and reviewed more. Thank you Pauline Ross for pointing it out. The story is moving, the writing subtle, and the editing tight.

short version. This is well worth reading. I got it on Kindle Unlimited but I now plan to buy it. Give it a try. And if you like the book check out the authour's site. It was there that I found her link to this song she said was her soundtrack for Keifon's early practice sessions where he is obses
Stacie Davis
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love reading books like this...or rather, I'd be able to say that if more books like this existed. Not many do, so The Healer's Road was a very welcome surprise. The characters in this book are medics, herbalists, and merchants; in a brick-sized epic fantasy, people like them would be nearly invisible unless they did something to help or hinder the hero significantly. Here, two healers and their fellow caravan travelers are the stars of the show, and they carry the reader on a sincere journey ...more
Ozsaur
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is going to be a tough one to review. It's not like any fantasy I've read before. When I think of fantasy novels, I think elves, dragons, sorcery, vast empires, epic scale etc. The Healer's Road isn't at all like that.

Magic is small, and an everyday part of life. It's hardly even noticeable within the context of the book. Agna is a Balance healer, and her patients don't think anything of it. And that's pretty much the extent that magic is used in the book.

What the book is about is people. F
Jack
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Probably 6.5-7, but rounding up anyway. This was an enjoyable read for me, so I won't give it 3/5 stars, but I know it will really depend on what people enjoy.

The Healers Road is a slice of life story about two radically different people. You have Agna, a rich, university educated healer, and Keifon an army medic, who get paired up to be a charities doctors on a year long caravan trek. At the beginning they both dislike each other, purely from cultural and assumed offences taken and given persp
Francesco Lanza
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is really a nice little book. It is fantasy (barely fantasy) slice-of-life with a little bit of romance. Or a lot of - it depends if friendship for you has most of the same connotations as a love story. If it is so, then it is a 100% romance book.

The tale follows terribly immature Agna Despana the 20 year old rich-kid-just-out-of-college fantasy healer coming from a Southern-Europe sounding culture and Keifon, who comes from some sort of vaguely Eastern culture and is a non-magical healer.
H
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I saw this recommended on r/fantasy for people looking for slice-of-life fantasy. I didn't really think such stories existed but this book came at the right time for me. The writing style starts out really unremarkable, gradually improving as the story progresses. It isn't anything bad--good enough at moving the story but once we get to know the characters better, the author's style gains some spirit.

I have so many thoughts but I just finished THR and I'm struggling to piece them together. I wo
Kaa
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this for the first time several years ago, and I loved it so much then that I was a little worried about how well it would hold up on re-read. Well, I still love it!

This is a somewhat unusual book, meandering slowly through two years of life for Agna and Keifon. There's not a plot, per se, and the world building is gradual and fairly limited. But Agna and Keifon are compelling and well characterized, and slowly through the details of their lives we learn more about their world. The autho
LoveLossRedemption
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's been a while since a book drew me in this much, making it hard to lay down and go to bed in the evening. Agna and Keifon (the main characters) became close friends to me, much more quickly than I expected, and much more deeply than I bargained for. I frequently had to lay down the book and examine the many ways in which their experiences paralleled and diverged from mine, and what I could learn about myself from that.

It's not an epic fantasy story. It's slice-of-life, and gives insight into
Katherina
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Would give 4.5 stars if possible. Solid fantasy with well developed characters. Loses a star because the world is not as well developed as the characters and can come off as flat. Some parts dragged and had very little to do with the plot. Over all very solid and engaging. First heard of this book through Improbable Island and got sucked in. Thank you CaveMan Joe :-p
Rebecca
Dec 27, 2016 added it
Shelves: read-in-2016
this is a wonderful book. it's introspective and reflective -- a kind of slice-of-life character study. lots of little insights about communication, fear, love, courage, insecurity, etc. i really enjoyed this. i need more like this!! the two characters' love for each other is not romantic, and the casual mention of guys with boyfriends are just <333
Katherine
Nov 27, 2018
Kathy Jordan
Apr 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
S.E. Robertson lives in Pennsylvania with her husband and their cat. She enjoys quilting, making bespoke teddy bears, gardening, working through her giant to-be-read book pile, discovering new music, and occasionally cosplaying as villainous characters.

The Balance Academy (2 books)
  • The Healers' Home (The Balance Academy, #2)