Start by marking “Mine!: A Practical Guide to Resource Guarding in Dogs” as Want to Read:
Mine!: A Practical Guide to Resource Guarding in Dogs

Mine!: A Practical Guide to Resource Guarding in Dogs

Dogs that become demonic around the food dish, snarly on the sofa or grouchy when chewing on a bone are all too common. Here's a step-by-step guide to help you recognize, evaluate and treat resource guarding in pet dogs.
Published January 1st 2002 by Dogwise Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Mine!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mine!

Start your review of Mine!: A Practical Guide to Resource Guarding in Dogs
Laura (Kyahgirl)
This is an excellent consise book describing what resource guarding (RG) is and the myths and fallacies around it. This is a great resource for a person looking to have a deep understanding of RG and an appreciation for the many steps involved in helping the dog and the human find a safe way to live with it. It takes commitment, patience, and time to learn to deal with but may very likely save your dogs life.

I think anyone who works with foster or rescue dogs must read this book because it’s ve
Bark
May 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dogs
This is a book for a dog trainer or serious and dedicated dog owner who is facing guarding resource problems (getting all growly, bitey over food, people, furniture, etc.) This book isn’t for the casual pet owner because it’s far too technical and dry for a brand new pet owner but I’d recommend a copy for anyone who has done some obedience work and fosters, rescues, etc. because you really never know what you may face until you get the dog inside your home.

The author lists step-by-step technique
Shawndra
Oct 03, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: dog trainers
Recommended to Shawndra by: Melissa
I was hoping for a usable guide to working with my dog on his resource guarding issues. It is heartening to know there is a nonconfrontational way to deal with this very common issue. But even though I've done a lot of reading on positive reinforcement training methods and have used them with success in other areas, I had a hard time with the overly technical tone of this book. Donaldson used way too much jargon, but then again this book is targeted to training professionals. I would have liked ...more
Sarah Draughon
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: professional dog trainers, well read dog owners
This book is fantastic for readers who have a strong prior knowledge of learning theory, counter conditioning and desensitization. There are several very well fleshed out protocols for resource guarding behavior modification. There is also a great example of how to work on body handling issues, which Donaldson suggests commonly co-occurs with resource guarding behavior.

There are very few other detailed resources out there. The only unfortunate aspect of this book is that, while it's often recomm
Nikki Wilde
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
So, my behaviorist recommended this book for me. However, I didn't get through the entire book. Like others have said, its very dry. It reads like a textbook. The problem for me is that my dog does not guard things or food from me. Just other dogs. I needed something that would teach me how to stop him from attacking our other pets if they get too close to his food. Perhaps, this text book does go into that further in the book but I couldn't get there.

It felt like I was going over the same thin
Sandra
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: behavior
Every year I reread all of my behavior books, and find new things I love and don't like. While The Culture Clash started out as one of my most favorite books and I keep stumbling over details that rub me the wrong way (the suggestion of spray collars, etc), this books gets better. It really is written for trainers and a lot of dog owners may find it much too dry or too complicated to read, but I love the way it describes canine skill acquisition and the concept of counter-conditioning and desens ...more
Ashley
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have absolutely no doubt that this book can be extremely helpful to those who have dogs with resource guarding problems. For the most part, it meshes with the rest of what I know about counter-conditioning animals to reduce unwanted behaviors. In my opinion it's very readable (and it's a short little book), but it appears some readers find it too technical--it is certainly geared toward a professional or experienced amateur audience, but I do think that as long as it isn't the first book on th ...more
Lauren
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
a great resource with scientifically backed and evidence-based solutions for resource guarding. Unfortunately, I bought the book in an attempt to learn more about what I should do about my dog guarding food from OTHER DOGS, which they mentioned but did not go into detail about. Dog v dogs makes things a lot more difficult and you have two uncontrolled variables to deal with. Unfortunate. But still a great book with some really good info for anyone dealing with a doggo with resource guarding issu ...more
Hilary
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is directed at professional dog trainers, but as an interested owner I found it helpful. It’s quite short and I wish it had more detail regarding how often and for how long the exercises should be done - everyday? Multiple times a day? For 10 minutes?

I have a dog who guards things from other dogs, which is not specifically addressed and seems a little hard to deal with as you have to use dog 2 to condition dog 1 which may be unfair to dog 2.
Michelle
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dog-training
This is one of Jean Donaldson's better books--it was very helpful and had lots of good suggestions for dealing with resource guarding of various types. Sadly, it is just a guide and pamphlet, and doesn't go into troubleshooting much, nor details of more unorthodox forms of guarding. She mentions them briefly, at least, so that gives hopes to those that have an unusual case.
Jen Medos
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This booklet has solid information and a practical training plan. However, I think for most dog owners the scope of the projects would be way too intense. I guess if that’s what it takes, then that’s what it takes - but I feel that realistically most pet owners would give up on the training project before fully complete. Definitely worth a read though if you have a resource guarder!
Alex Oldenburg
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Succinct, yet incredibly informative. This is one I refer to often as a dog trainer myself, but also highly recommend it to all my clients with resource guarding dogs looking for more information because it's an easy to read and understand compilation!
Deanna
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is very informative and concise. A little hard to follow sometimes, but extremely helpful.
DHammacher
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it
A good step by step manual for training away (conditioning) a dog's resource guarding tendencies.
Armin
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: armin
The hierarchies make sense and can be very helpful. The proof will be in the pudding, I'll be able to use some strategies for our object guading dog.
Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a must-read for dog owners, especially those of resource-guarding dogs.
Empress5150
Jan 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Lucy's trainer recommended I read this book to get a better understand about where Lucy may be coming from (as if).

Seriously, it's not something I could truly say I liked, didn't like, etc., which is why it got the 3 star middle of the road rating. I found it helpful, which was the point.

I didn't really finish it, either. The latter part of the book was pretty much step by step instructions on how to work with a dog with resource guarding issues. Since the primary issue Lucy has is with food an
Grace
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: dog owners, dog trainers, shelter volunteers, dog fosters
Shelves: dogs
Just as the title indicates, this is a practical guide to treating resource guarding in dogs. The exercises in this book are backed by the science of animal learning theory and are presented very clearly and thoroughly step by step. The methods described to treat and modify resource guarding behavior are humane and ethical. This book is slim; therefore, a relatively quick read. It provides all of the needed information in a manner that is compact yet thorough enough. I highly recommend this book ...more
Kyra
Dec 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Another slim book every single dog trainer, canine behaviourist, rescue person and shelter worker should have on their reference shelf. MINE presents a clear explanation of various guarding behaviours and a series of exercises to overcome the problem. I recommend this book to everyone who adopts a Jack Russell terrier from our rescue (since as everyone knows JRTs specialize in shouting "mine!"). Thank you, Ms Donaldson.
Chris
Jun 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great book about how to work with your resource guarding dog. I particularly like how she breaks down each of the different hierarchies, because that really helps to understand the process of counterconditioning and desensitizing a dog. I also think it provides an almost ready-made tool that is easy for struggling pet families to easily implement. I know I am going to use several of these as I work with my dog who has issues.
Nicole
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Nicole by: Edmonton Humane Society
This book is very technical and I find it very hard to sell to people that have no experience with dog training. I understand most of it but even my experience isn't that advanced but I've only been in the field for two years trying to learn everything I can. The exercises in it are well laid out and I would encourage anybody with a resource guarding dog and a basic knowledge of training and behavior to try it.
Nickie
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I would recommend this book while working in conjunction with a trainer with an exceptional understanding of desensitization and counterconditioning. It was recommended to me by our trainer when our dog developed resource guarding of us after he ran away from his sitters. We've been using D&C for 6 months successfully to help with anxiety and fear of people. Now, I have a more theoretical knowledge to apply it other issues. ...more
Faith Gudal
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't know what people are so hard on this book. This is an amazing book provided you have the necessary background. I'm not a professional but these are written to people working in the dog behavior industry. If you have a solid foundation of basic human/animal psychology you'll do just fine. If not, brush up on it with some more basic books first.
Amanda
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Helpful guide to rehabilitating dogs with resource aggression/guarding. Not much to say beyond that really. I don't have any of these issues with my own dogs, but I'm glad I read this since it taught me a lot more about how to deal with such issues and also it'll be helpful if I ever have to work with a dog with these issues in the future. It's easy to understand and clear cut.
Rebekah
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, reference
I just read this again as a refresher for our resource guarder. Techniques are tried and true. Don't give up on your dog until you've read this book and applied Donaldson's strategies. Great background information and explanations for resource guarding behavior and soft/hard mouths.
Amber
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jean Donaldson is an amazing and gifted dog trainer/behaviorist. This book is extremely informative and I really appreciated the step by step instructions. In my opinion, it is a must read for any dog trainer or behaviorist.
Diann
Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I chose the book to curb a pup with beginning behaviors of resource guarding. The beginning of the book had some helpful hints. The second part was more in-depth psychology, which was interesting but unrelated to the topic.
Thinmint29
Aug 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Easy read with important information.
Elaykins
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dog-training
Must read if your dog is a resource guarder, shows ways to help overcome your dog her issues and it's a short read!
Jacqui Hencsie
Dec 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I got this book because my rescue dachshund is a resource guarder. Defiantly written for a trainer, a little technical but it made me more confident in my efforts.

• The Other End of the Leash: Why We Do What We Do Around Dogs
  • The Power of Positive Dog Training
  • Feisty Fido: Help for the Leash Aggressive Dog
  • On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals
  • How To Be The Leader Of The Pack...And Have Your Dog Love You For It. ("How To" Booklets From Dog's Best Friend)
  • I'll Be Home Soon: How to Prevent and Treat Separation Anxiety
  • The Cautious Canine: How to Help Dogs Conquer Their Fears
  • When Pigs Fly: Training Success with Impossible Dogs
  • Don't Shoot the Dog!: The New Art of Teaching and Training
  • Canine Body Language: A Photographic Guide Interpreting the Native Language of the Domestic Dog
  • How Dogs Learn
  • Before and After Getting Your Puppy: The Positive Approach to Raising a Happy, Healthy, and Well-Behaved Dog
  • Total Recall: Perfect Response Training for Puppies and Adult Dogs
  • John Bishop: How Did All This Happen?
  • The Alaskan Malamute: Never A Prisoner
  • FREE Kindle Books (Free Kindle Book Guide)
  • Way To Go! How To Housetrain A Dog Of Any Age