Start by marking “Be Thou My Vision (Hymns of the West #2)” as Want to Read:
Be Thou My Vision (Hymns of the West #2)

Be Thou My Vision (Hymns of the West #2)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  509 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
The church was empty when I dragged myself out of the pew and headed out the door. As I opened the door, the corner of my eye caught a flicker of movement which I chose to ignore. I walked down the steps and was nearly bowled over by two wild boys. With arms grown strong and quick from man-handling two brothers growing up, I grabbed the two boys before they had a chance to ...more
Published October 26th 2014 by Faith Blum

To ask other readers questions about Be Thou My Vision, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be Thou My Vision

Ivy Rose
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading the first book in the series, I was highly skeptical and extremely disappointed. When this book was downloadable for free, I decided to give it a try, fully expecting to have to set the book down and stop reading. To my extreme excitement, that was not the case. This book was so well written and it had a thoroughly engaging plot. I enjoyed it very much. Well done, Faith!
Kellyn Roth
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on Reveries Reviews

As you know, I didn't really enjoy A Mighty Fortress, so I was a little nervous when I began this book.

Lots of my friends on Goodreads really like this series, so I was going, "I hope I don't offend anyone ..." I even know the author to a certain extent ... and I really do hate giving bad reviews regardless. I decided I would just start the book, and if I didn't like it, I'd put it down and say I didn't finish it.

But, long story short, I did end up really enj
Joleen
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Timeframe: About 1876-77
Location: Farming town in Tennessee
Rating: G, very clean, not even any kissing, little violence between boys, and unfounded gossip of unmarried pregnancy (does that make it PG?).
Christian factor: Excellent. Gospel is shared, someone accepts the Lord, and scriptural lessons throughout.

This book follows A Mighty Fortress after one of the main characters was executed. Main characters in this book are:
- Anna is a 30-year-old single woman who gave up married life to take ca
Faith
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
The audiobook version is great and I look forward to releasing it soon!
M.A. Nichols
Apr 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
I couldn't get through this one. Usually, I'm a sucker for a spinster story, and it doesn't take much for me to get into one, but this one was painful for me.

First off, I will admit that some dislike is due to my own tastes. There's a lot of variation in Christian romances, from being very preachy and constantly sermonizing down to the characters just being Christian and going to church. It's near impossible to tell where on the spectrum a book will fall, so it's always a bit of a gamble. I will
Amanda Tero
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Be Thou My Vision" began at a pivotal point: Iann left with the challenge of raising his three children alone. It quickly advances to when the children are in their thirties (this being the second book) and follows the life of Anna.

This being the fourth of Faith's "Hymns of the Series" that I've read (yes, I read them completely out of order), it was like being reunited with dear friends. I enjoyed reading Anna's side of the story (Book 1 being Jed's side and Book 3 being Caleb's) and getting t
Mary Hall-Rayford
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful reminder that God never forgets about us and His plans are always better than our plans!

It takes a strong woman to stand up to busy-bodies who love nothing better than to criticize others when they do not know the truth of the matter. I was reminded of a number of people who spread rumors when they judged matters based on what they saw, rather than what was true.

I saw so many life lessons in this book, many I have experienced and I am certain other readers would be able to rela
Age Appropriate For: 10 and up for very mild romantic themes
Best for Ages: 10 - 18

While the last book I read by Faith Blum, A Mighty Fortress, had many short comings, the message touched my heart, so I decided to give her next book a try.

In skills in writing, Faith has come a long way. This book was far better written and laid out. There weren’t confusing scenes, rambling dialog, and pages and pages of scripture. I can tell that she worked very hard between the books to improve and listen to con
Rebekah Rodda
Sep 20, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a 3.5 rating. 'Be Thou My Vision' is a sweet very Christian story that tells the story of Jed's family (from 'A Mighty Fortress') and shows them receiving the letter he wrote before he was hanged. This letter helps prompt twenty-nine year old spinster Anna to begin going to church again and from thence her life changes. It was interesting to meet this family of Jed's who let him down so badly and to hear why they didn't intervene more to protect him.

This gentle book focuses on Anna reac
Tialla Rising
This book is a lighthearted Christian romance infused with humor. I enjoyed the values presented in the book and the engaging storyline. It was a nice, cozy read. The 1800s western feel is very heartwarming and enjoyable. If you want a fun, light read, I definitely recommend it.

However, there were a few things I didn’t enjoy so much about the book. There were numerous instances that the plot seemed rushed. Instances of the romantic relationship seemed very rushed and some of the characters’ reac
Kelsey Bryant
I enjoyed this book, the second Hymns of the West novel, and the third I’ve read in that series. It was interesting how its time span overlapped with Amazing Grace, and the overlap seemed to run smoothly, Be Thou My Vision’s focusing on Anna Stuart’s romance, Amazing Grace on her brother Caleb’s.
It was a pleasant and relaxing read, and Anna’s romance with Pastor Jenkins was engaging, unique, and, I felt, realistic (what I really liked was how they didn’t fall madly in love but were able to eval
Claire Banschbach
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was my first novel in The Hymns of the West series, and I really enjoyed it!

It's a lighthearted read focusing on a young woman struggling to find God after her brother's death. I loved Anna and felt that her struggles and hopes were very realistically portrayed. I enjoyed seeing her grow in her faith and just as a character through the book. Miles was also great, and the two boys were so cute! They kept me smiling and even threatened to make me cry at one point.

The story is sweet and simp
Jennifer Dickerman
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book, underdeveloped characters

I had a little trouble getting into this book, afraid it was going to be "preachy." Before I knew it though I was hooked & finished the book in one day. The story made me cry as it hit home regarding grief.

I did feel that there wasn't enough detail about the main characters' romance, almost like it rushed them from friends to having feelings without developing those feelings or revealing them to the reader.

I'm glad there are more books in the series but it
Sue Ferryman
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good read.

Really enjoyed this book. To write about a girl who gave so much and receive so little; how she went to church and met two young brothers. They formed a bond, and the brothers happened to be the sons of the widowed pastor. Good storyline. I was somewhat disappointed with the ending. In my opinion the ending was too abrupt. Loose ends needed to be tied up. I recommend reading this book.

Kathy Brickert
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lovely read

A sweet story about overcoming. A wonderful example in our world today. I enjoyed this one and felt the way Anna went through her trials could be a great lesson to real life problems. The only part I was unable to understand was her and Caleb's inability to stand up for their little brother. How could they not hate their Father? Seemed a bit unrealistic.
Linda Gildner
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Inspired

What a marvelous way Faith Blum has found to put into a novel a message of hope, inspiration, and salvation. Any person who has ever dealt with loss, disappointment, and questions about God's role in life's circumstances will find many answers within the pages of this fictional work.
Judy
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shala Self Parker
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book. I didn't realize that it was part of a series so I just started reading this one. It was great. Very well written and lots of action and romance but clean. I didn't even need to read the first book to know what was going on.
Frau Ott
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was good. What I liked about it most was the reference to the hymn "Be thou my vision". It has always been one of my favorites. When it was referenced I found myself singing along out loud - or should I say at least humming.
LaNell Mueller
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good Christian story

A very poignant story of how easy it is to think we are not worthy of Gods love and how much pain one can go through and have no one with whom to share that pain.
Kim
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read

This was a good story. I appreciated the Christian message. Story was sweet. The struggles of the characters were compelling. Can't wait to read more by her. I checked out her blog.
Angel Graham
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good

I like that while this is a Christian Inspirational, it doesn't one off preachy, with the main characters being perfect. Instead, they're flawed, believable people you find yourself rooting for.
Sandra Barnett
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Inspirational

This book is so wonderfully written. Well written, I don't want to give any details about this book. However, I am so full after each story. Please keep letting the Lord leading in your writing. I can truly say thank God for Christian writers like you!
Sandra Hudkins
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

This was a good read. Enjoyed the story with all the twists and turns. Sorry to say the world is still like this today, just because people go to church, they do not have the relationship with God they should have.
Nerissa Golden
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not big on historical novels but I enjoyed this tribute filled with scriptures and songs from my childhood. Also a great reminder that God is love and His will is for us to be love.
Helen Pickering
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
LastBe thou my vision

What a wonderful story first time I have read a book by blum but it won't be the last I love to read Christian books and this was awesome
Debie Miller
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Every one must read

I read the first chapter and cry. It was so sad and then each chapter hook you in to read more. Good writing. I hope the next book is good as this one.
Frances Rogers
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sweet and squeaky clean

This was A good story but ended too abruptly to suit me. Some parts did not include enough details, and others too many.
Restu Natalia
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
well this book helps me to understand that every plans that we have in mind sometimes don't come to be true and actually God has bigger plan of future for us.
Katie Chapman
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sweet

Be Thou My Vision is a sweet, strongly Christian story. It is a basic primer on Christian values. Recommended for all ages.
  • Once Upon the Prairie (The Brides of Courage, Kansas #1)
  • The Most Wonderful Bride of the Year (Mail-Order Matches)
  • The Christmas Token (Hardman Holidays, #2)
  • The Stagecoach Bride
  • Meeting Her Match (A Match Made in Texas, #4)
  • No Match for Love (A Match Made in Texas, #3)
  • Fairchild's Lady (The Culper Ring, #1.5)
  • The Handsomest Man in the Country (The Traherns #1)
  • Mail Order Motherhood (Brides of Beckham, #8)
  • Western Kisses
  • Emma & Simon's Story (Mail Order Bride, #1)
  • An Unforeseen Match (A Match Made in Texas, #2)
  • The Bartered Bride (The Brides #3)
  • Where the Trail Ends (American Tapestries)
  • Her Holiday Family (Texas Grooms, #5)
  • The Mercenary's Marriage
  • Mail-Order Christmas Brides Boxed Set: Mail-Order Mistletoe Brides\Mail-Order Holiday Brides
  • Gideon's Secondhand Bride (Six Brides for Six Gideons, #1)
Faith Blum is a small-town Wisconsin girl. She’s lived in, or outside of, small towns her whole life. The thought of living in a city with more than 60,000 people in it scares her, especially after some interesting adventures driving through big cities like Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota.

Faith currently resides in the middle of the state of Wisconsin with her husband and their cat, Smokey. Sh
More about Faith Blum

Hymns of the West (5 books)
  • A Mighty Fortress (Hymns of the West #1)
  • Amazing Grace (Hymns of the West #3)
  • Lily of the Valley (Hymns of the West #4)
  • The Solid Rock (Hymns of the West #5)