Start by marking “Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)” as Want to Read:
Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)

Holiday in Death

(In Death #7)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  35,784 ratings  ·  1,168 reviews
An Alternate Cover edition can be found here

No one likes to be alone during the holidays. For New York's most posh dating service, Personally Yours, it is the season to bring lonely hearts together. But Lieutenant Eve Dallas, on the trail of a ritualistic serial killer, has made a disturbing discovery: all of the victims have been traced to Personally Yours. As the murders
Published June 1st 1998 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Holiday in Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holiday in Death

·  35,784 ratings  ·  1,168 reviews

Start your review of Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
Roarke...

Eve...

Roarke and Eve...

description

Le sigh.
Mo
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fabulous read. I love Eve and Roarke. Eventhough they are not really together much in the books -she is off solving murders and such. But the times they spend together are so sweet and so special. Sigh. Beautiful

Eve is my type of girl. Happy to potter around in jeans and boots and t-shirts. Hates wearing dresses and having to socialize! LOL. Not into make-up. Well, I am into make-up. At my age, I need it.

This is set in the future. I should be running a mile but I am not.

At times li
Apoorva
Jul 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Okay I'll say it this way:

What I loved-

1. I knew the killer in like 6th chapter and I know it shouldn't be that obvious and maybe it wasn't, it was just an instinct for me but since it pleased me that I guessed it, I am happy, and I don't care about anything else, sometimes we need predictability with a dose of unpredictability and this gace me that.

2. McNab and Peabody- gotta love those two! The enemies to lovers slow burn thing between them is so nice to read about amidst murder and gore. I'll
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
This was my least favorite book so far, not because of the mystery aspect, I quite liked Santa Killer, but because Eve was acting like a bitch with Nadine, with Peabody, with Charles and generally with everyone at some points.
Beanbag Love
Jul 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
In this installment of the wildly popular "In Death" series we find a madman dressed as Santa ringing doorbells and then raping and murdering the person who answers. It's Christmas and Eve Dallas is cranky. She doesn't need this.

Let me just get this out of the way. I find Eve Dallas to be one of the most loathsome female characters in any successful series going today. She is verbally and emotionally abusive to anyone who cares about her, including her hot husband. If I worked for her I'd reques
Jilly
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
It's Christmas in July for this girl! And, this book is celebrating it with a serial killer who decorates his victims with the Twelve Days of Christmas theme. It makes my holiday rituals seem a little boring. The only thing dying during our holiday gatherings is the idea that seeing those long-lost family members again is a good idea. I mean, really, we don't see them all year for a reason...

I'm still pissed off at them over that one. I do NOT have a chocolate problem! We get along just fine.

And
Phrynne
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It has been years since I first read this book and still it was oh so good! The dialogue between Peabody and Eve made me laugh and it made me cry. Ditto that between Roarke and Eve. I loved every single word in this book and enjoyed every precious moment!
Each book in this series builds upon the character of Eve and it is very hard not to love her as much as the author obviously does. In this book she is coming to grips with the Christmas holiday and having to buy gifts for her ever increasing c
Bren
“[Peabody:] "Bite me."
Though Eve managed to swallow a chuckle at her aide's use of her own standard response to annoyances, she didn't quite make it over McNab's cheerful, "Where?”
― J.D. Robb, Holiday in Death

Review..9/19/2020

What a read this was! I originally wrote a few short lines about this book but I am adding to it because I did a reread and found it better or as good as the first time.

This was the first "in death" book I ever read and it was such a good one. How could any mystery lover r
Wendy'sThoughts
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: J.D. Robb Fans
5 Facing the Demons Stars
* * * * * Spoiler Free
As I read this series, I am so amazed at how Ms. Robb has taken ideas fresh from the '90s and made them real and current for 2058. I think this is one of the reasons I am so enjoying this series.

However, the main attraction for me is the ever-evolving relationship between Eve and Roarke. With each entry, we are able to see them grow, be challenged and recover just in the way they should.

Eve has so much to overcome.
She has done a magnificent job i
Brenda
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lieutenant Eve Dallas headed in to the station early after the usual recurring nightmare had disturbed her sleep once again. But on the way, she was summonsed to a disturbance in a nearby apartment block. The murder scene was horrific – made worse by the festive season decorations surrounding the victim.

And so, the beginning of a terrible run of murders for Dallas as the Twelve Days of Christmas played out with a sadistic killer on the loose, searching for his “one true love”. Santa had a lot t
♥Sharon♥
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I know what you are thinking. Another 5 star review, she has to be a bit bias. I guess I am. I have an awful crush on this character Roarke. Silly of me I guess. Especially at my age but seriously ladies this guy does it for me.

He is tall dark and handsome and loves like no other. I know I am repeating myself but I don't care. I will say it a thousand times over. I LOVE how he LOVES Eve. It isn't your typical fairy tale love story but when it comes to Roarke and Eve it is perfect. ❤

J.D. Robb ha
Cyndi
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Eve and Roarke's first Christmas. I go overboard at Christmas myself, but Roarke is more Christmas crazy than I am, even. I really, really, really want the hologram showing during their party. "The floor to ceiling windows showed not the nasty sleet that hissed over the city, but a hologram of a dreamy snow scene where couples skated on a silver pond and young children raced down a gentle slope on shiny red sleds." How cool would that be? Add to that, more wonders from my favorite house in liter ...more
Irene Sim
It's Eve and Roarke's first Christmas together. It was fun watching how the season's festive spirit seemed to make her grumpier than usual. This story is full of tension, the murders hit a rough spot on Eve's psych being sex-crimes.
It has it's funny moments as always, the whole gang is present and I like McNab's addition to the team-after 2 books he seems like a permanent figure.
The characters are all amazing and the relationships that form between them, just getting stronger and stronger with
Lana *Lifeinwordsandlyricscom*
I was always weirded out by the whole sit on Santa's lap tradition. I mean why would I want to sit on some stranger and tell him my deepest wish, that's just asking for trouble. With that attitude killer Santa wasn't that big of a stretch, guess I'm not getting on the good list this year.

Over and out
Mei
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf
Re-read 17/01/2020

Another great story! :)
All the books are written in the same way:
1) Eve has an investigation involving Death;
2) Eve investigates;
3) Eve discovers suspect/s (wrong ones!)
4) Eve work like a dog until she exshausts herself
5) Roarke feeds her, make her relax (with inventive sex!!!)
6) Eve gets hurt while catching the (right) suspect
7) Roarke save her

Looking at the above, you'll think I should be bored to tears, but NO, absolutely NO! :)

I love each and every one! Why?

Because the cri
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
Read May 2014

Re-Read Nov. 2016
I really enjoyed the fun moments in this book. Of course felt bad for the lost of life but you have to love Peabody and her shopping ideas. She's just to funny and loved the gift from Eve to Roarke it was an aww moment and so special but she needed help and she had to ask her "friend" Summerset. hahaha, it was a great moment between them. LOL. I really enjoy there banter but love the Roarke and Eve moments as well. Really love how Roarke takes care of Eve and of cou
Alex ♈
Suspense 4 stars / Romance 3.75 stars

Merry freaking Christmas…
I felt so sorry for the victims, especially for he 1st woman. Damn, life is unfair!

Romance. No ex for Roarke, but adoration of his good looks by almost all women incl. Eve’s BFF and aide razzes me…

Poetic handsome… *yawn*

Duchess Nicole
Ack, Robb's villains in this series are so skeevy. This guy was a really nasty piece of work, and the fact that it muddled Eve's mind due to how personal it was for her was not a new idea. However, it still stirs up a lot of pity from the reader...namely ME. I hope that Eve seriously addresses her issues soon. I love this series but something I just thought about while listening to this installment is how Eve is the one with all the problems. Girl is messed up. And I suppose entering into a rela ...more
Hulya Kara Yuksel
WOW another fantastic book from J.D.Robb! <3 And I can't wait to read other 40 books soon. :D LOL I know, I know this is going to be a very long journey but I'm 100% sure it will be worth it!
Because Roarke & Eve... I love them so, so much. <3

He held there, buried deep, panting as he blinked his vision clear to look at her. The fire that blazed in the hearth across the room shot flashes of light and shadow over her face, glinted into her hair, flickered in her eyes, which had gone dark and bl
Somia
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Firm & Happy 4 Stars

This is the 7th book in the series, and there is a particular formula that the author uses, one that I was clearly aware of well before this book, but such an awareness has in no way diminished my enjoyment of the books. It’s the unfolding relationships between the characters, their bonds, that make this series so appealing and so addictive, J.D. Robb has done wonderfully in creating characters you come to care for, and characters you want to know more about.

In this book it
Diane
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-reading
I didn't mind this book - it had everything I like: police procedural, serial killer, lots of Eve and Roarke plus they share their first Christmas together - Peabody meets Charles, McNab feels Eve's butt, Eve and Peabody have a falling out - Eve and Roarke place a memory in their new memory box!

A couple of things (besides getting the words wrong to the 12 Days of Christmas) stand out to me. Roarke says he will put the lights on after they decorate the tree - who does that? Lights go on first, th
Ann Lou
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's the Holidays in this installment. We have a controlled, calculating and organized killer who drugs his victims.

Eve is being bitchy again. What she said to Peabody was uncalled for. Sometimes I think she's too much and her methods are too much but then I remind myself that her cool professionalism doesn't mean a lack of heart. One thing I can't fault though is how she fights for the dead. They are not just names and numbers to her. She wants to give them justice and tries hard to achieve it
ElaineY
Despite the repetitiveness in some parts - Roarke's library, the dialog between him and Eve - I still enjoyed this installment. Not as good as the previous, Vengeance ID, but still enjoyable because of Robb's ability to keep the pace tight and zipping along like those futuristic cars.

It's getting predictable but I expected this when I started the series a couple of months ago so I'm not complaining just yet. Still, I hope I haven't spoken too soon as there were some lines that seemed taken right
Carolyn
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: futuristic, crime
Another terrific book in this series. Eve and Roarke are getting ready to celebrate their first Christmas together and start some new traditions of their own. However Eve is overworked, hunting down the Santa killer, a serial killer who rapes and murders his victims after bringing them a special gift. The murders seem to be connected to a dating agency and Peabody and McNab go undercover to find out what is going on.
Laura..devouring books like crumpets
I liked this but Eve fell back a bit into robotic mode in this one and sometimes came across a little cruel when interrogating victims family and friends, I like that peabody stuck up For herself a bit more, and fpung the killer the most disturbing yet, still. A great read!
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I picked the perfect time of year to read this book as the killer poses as Santa to lure his victims. Eve and Peabody with help from McNabb and Rourke work at a frantic pace to catch the killer before he can strike again. The case was exciting and I was hooked from the start. My favorite part though was the dynamics between all the characters. Eve, Peabody, McNabb and Rourke all worked together and Eve wasn't her usual antagonistic self. She was much more likeable in this book. It was comical wh ...more
Andy
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read
3.5/5

This was a really enjoyable futuristic murder mystery! I will day I jumped into book 7 without reading any of the previous installments and I was able to keep up pretty well. Sure I was lost on some of the small details of Eve's relationship with Roarke and his bodyguard dude. Epecially since I was trying to figure out what the hell Roarke did. He was like a mafia boss, stock extraordinaire, computer hacker and model all in one or something.

I was surprised by the romance in this book. I re
Saint Monique
3 'two and four give three, I guess' stars

A few years back when I discovered this series, I was a huge fan of it. I was seriously obsessing over Roarke 😍 yeah, I know he's a billionaire (and I hate them) but I just couldn't resist his Irish accent 😄
Anyway, I didn't find this particular book as good as I remember that the series is supposed to be. I had a feeling like I was reading a different series. But maybe it's just my taste in books that has changed.

2 stars part

Eve was so annoying. I get th
Anita
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas, kindle-own
Fantastic book. This series just gets better and better. Nora Roberts' sex scenes are erotic-lite and plentiful. Eve Dallas, as a partner in the marriage with Roarke is learning to accept that he loves her without question or reservation and will take drastic measures when she needs him to, even if she fights tooth and nail over it.

Great plot centering around a killer who rapes his victims and leaves a token from The 12 Days of Christmas song. The rapes open not quite healed wounds for Eve and c
Kathy Davie
Bad Santa...whew, this one was a pip.

• Hot Rocks
  • Concealed in Death: by J. D. Robb -- Review
  • Hideaway
  • Unofficial Series List - J.D. Robb - In Order: In Death novels, novellas, and short stories
  • The Last Honest Woman (The O'Hurleys, #1)
  • The Betrayed (Mystere Parish: Family Inheritance, #2)
  • Sanctuary
  • High Noon
  • Flirting With Danger (Samantha Jellicoe, #1)
  • Dance of the Gods (Circle Trilogy, #2)
  • Best Laid Plans (Jack's Stories, #2)
  • Born in Ice (Born In Trilogy, #2)
  • Apple of My Eye (Tiger's Eye Mystery #7)
  • Accepting (Return of the Nine, #2)
  • Death's Avatar (Descent, #0.5)
  • Maltese Vulture Murder (Merry Wrath Mysteries Book 13)
  • Newport Harbor House (Newport Beach #1)
  • Blood Brothers (Sign of Seven, #1)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Shadows in Death(St. Martin's Press, September 2020) is ...more

In Death (1 - 10 of 52 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
  • Judgment in Death (In Death, #11)