Start by marking “The Snow Queen” as Want to Read:
The Snow Queen

The Snow Queen

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  13,299 ratings  ·  1,262 reviews
Audible's 2014 Narrator of the Year Julia Whelan performs one of Hans Christian Andersen's most beloved fairy tales, The Snow Queen. This classic tale is a fantastical fable of two dear friends - one of whom goes astray and is literally lost to the north woods, while the other undertakes an epic journey to rescue him. This charming, strange, and wonderful story is a timele ...more
Audible Audio, Unabridged, 2 pages
Published December 12th 2014 by Audible Studios (first published 1844)

·  13,299 ratings  ·  1,262 reviews

Start your review of The Snow Queen
Ahmad Sharabiani
Snedronningen = The Snow Queen, Hans Christian Andersen

The Snow Queen is an original fairy tale written by Danish author Hans Christian Andersen. The tale was first published 21 December 1844 in New Fairy Tales.

The story centers on the struggle between good and evil as experienced by Gerda and her friend, Kai. The Snow Queen is a tale told in seven stories:
1 - About the Mirror and Its Pieces. 2 - A Little Boy and a Little Girl. 3 - The Flower Garden of the Woman Who Knew Magic. 4 - The Prince
Christy
3 stars

I picked up The Snow Queen because I'm trying to fit in a few more Christmas reads and I got it free from audible. The narration was good, but the story was just okay for me. I know a lot of people love this story and read it as children... this was my first read through. It was only about an hour to listen. I liked it, but compared to my last holiday audible listen it just missed the mark for me.
Hilary
This is a favourite winter read of my favourite childhood fairy tale. The story starts with Kay and Gerda pressing hot pennies against the ice on the inside of their windows to see out and there's a full page illustration of this. There is a double page illustration of the snow queen taking Kay away, the sledge pulled by a dapple grey horse accompanied by ice chickens and the world below looking like a scene from a Bruegel painting. The chapter of the little robber girl is accompanied by a beaut ...more
Rebecca McNutt
description

I have two editions of this book. The first is a story included in a large anthology of Andersen's work, bound in black and gold leather, which I rescued from a public library that was discarding it. The second is a really beautiful 1960's edition by a publisher called Golden Press, which put out many stories of Andersen's in glossy black covers with a holographic image on the front of each. Either way, no matter which edition you read of The Snow Queen, the story has always been amazing. The in
Althea Ann
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my favorite stories as a very young child.

I hadn't re-read this short tale in many many years. My thoughts upon rereading:

Well, it's more sentimental than I remembered, and the tone, especially at the beginning, is almost verging on patronizing in the way it addresses the (presumably young) reader/listener. As a child, I don't think I picked up on that at all. It's also more overtly Christian/religious than I remembered. (I've noticed that about a good number of the 19th-century
Donna Backshall
★ one very bewildered star

So this is awkward. I was not expecting The Snow Queen to be religious. Spoiler alert: this is a *very* Christian fairy tale.

The genres listed on the main Goodreads page for the book made no mention of anything religious, just simply "fairy tale", "fantasy", "classic", "fiction" and the like. When recommended to me, it was supposed to be the children's fairy tale that inspired a Disney movie -- a winter story of friendship and love, not The Gospel According to Andersen.
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This was a nice story. I hope to listen to it again in one sitting. I think I may have lost some of the story with all of the stopping and starting I did.

I still don't feel compelled to watch Frozen after listening to this story.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This is my favorite fairy tale, hands down. If I'm honest, I'm such a huge fan of snow and cold weather. The idea of snow becoming personified makes a lot of sense, because winter does seem to have a life of its own. I love in Texas, and we don't get much winter, but I grew up with it. I miss it so much! Reading this book makes me long for a good winter.

Along with the evocative imagery of winter, there is a very emotional and spiritual love story. Kay and Gerda share a strong emotional bond, but
Dem
Dec 22, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen was a beautiful story.
I listened to this one on audio while wrapping Christmas presents in front of the fire.
What great company this little book was.
Bionic Jean
I remember being bored when I read this story as a child, and reading it again now, nothing has really changed for me. The Snow Queen starts out interestingly enough, and the imagery throughout is good, but as for the actual storyline... It is very long and discursive, and as in many fairy tales, the events seem very random, and the reader tends to lose the main thread. It is the sort of story which could make a marvellous stage production, with all its imaginative possibilities, or a film or TV ...more
Joey Woolfardis
Far more enjoyable than anticipated, though I think partly due to the wonderful geometric illustrations that accompanied the story.

It is a fairly simple story with basic imagery and not a particularly great translation (I find all translations to be rather dire and wish the babel fish only existed) but it was an enjoyable read due to its simplicity. It feels almost unique in that there are heart-warming notions but no in-your-face morals.

Characters and dialogue were vague and shaky at best, bu
Matt
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this retelling of a Hans Christian Andersen classic, two young children have their friendship torn apart when a curse befalls one of them and he disappears. The Snow Queen lures him away, off to do her bidding. When the young girl goes looking for her friend, she is pulled in many directions and ends up hitting a dead end on more than one occasion. However, determination and the power of her love breaks down a wall or two and thaws a frozen heart, which allows the truth to triumph over all. N ...more
Mara
Dec 14, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Well, I'm not gonna turn down an audible freebie now am I?

Their take:
The Snow Queen will be free until January 31, 2015.
Audible's 2014 Narrator of the Year
Julia Whelan performs one of Hans Christian Andersen's most beloved fairy tales, The Snow Queen. This classic tale is a fantastical fable of two dear friends - one of whom goes astray and is literally lost to the north woods, while the other undertakes an epic journey to rescue him. This charming, strange, and wonderful story is a timeless
Stepheny
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: maybe-later
The Snow Queen was a free gift to audible members…last winter. It’s been loaded on my app for quite some time without really catching my interest. I made the decision to read it when I started season 4 of Once Upon a Time.

The narration was really great and I enjoyed the story. I have never watched Frozen. I was worried about that for a while because it was the movie everyone was talking about it… I had to let it go…

No one?

Alright. Can’t blame me, can you?

Anyway, it’s worth a read. The story is
Peter Monn
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very dark but interesting. My full review will be up on my booktube channel at http://YouTube.com/peterlikesbooks ...more
Becky
Audible freebie (like everyone else). I listened to this one while trying, and failing, to take a nap. Stupid stuffyrunnysore nose. >_<

I did like the reading of this one. I think that Julia Whelan had the right kind of voice for this story, and handled all of the characters well. She gave them each their own personality but didn't overwhelm the character with cartoonish voices.

The story... well, it was a little innocently simplistic for me, and none of it really made any sense (why would a crue
Adam
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-ebooks
Disney's Frozen said it was based on Hans Christian Andersen's The Snow Queen. That's what piqued my interest in this classic. So, after reading this, I can say fairly that Frozen is VERY loosely based. I found elements that contribute to the world and lore in which Elsa becomes the Snow Queen, but Hans's Snow Queen is less endearing. In short, I'll place the Snow Queen / Frozen comparison in the category of good book, great movie, but each in their own right.

Regarding edition, the Kindle ebook
Colleen Houck
It seems that Frozen was inspired by this story but I can't see much of a similarity. Really liked the determined little girl who sought after her lost playfellow. The phrase birds of a feather flock together stuck out to me and I looked it up to see if this was the first time it had appeared in literature. It wasn't. Apparently the origin of the phrase was William Turner's 1545 version of it in The Rescuing of Romish Fox: "Byrdes of on kynde and color flok and flye allwayes together." Though th ...more
David
Dec 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Clever boys and girls, icy queens, crows thinking about retirement
This Audible freebie is a nice way to hear the original Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale. It's not a particularly thrilling fable - boys meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl back - though really, it's the girl who does the getting.

The story starts with an evil hobgoblin (also referred to as a demon) who goes to magic school (why did Rowling not find a way to hook this into her mythology?) and creates a magic mirror which shows "reality" in the harshest, ugliest way possible. It is shatter
Lyn
Jan 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First published in 1844, The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Anderson is a delightfully charming, if somewhat dated, fantasy – back when fantasies were called faerie tales.

Told in seven parts, Anderson borrows liberally from Christian themes and pre-Christian myth to create a richly complex, but simply entertaining story that children will enjoy and adults will find amusing, especially the classical, Biblical and mythic references that may be lost, unapologetically so, on a younger reader.

C.S. Lew
Steph
Sep 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I kind of like this. I was a little lost at the end but overall I thought it was really interesting. It's really different from what I'm used to and I'm really interested in the old interpretations of our modern retelling of the stories. The author definitely has an interesting imagination
Gavin
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was another audiobook that Audible gave away for free. Unfortunately this was as bad as the last freebie offering. This was a dreadful bore. Thankfully it was a short read.

Rating: 2 stars.

Audio Note: Even the excellent Julia Whelan could not save this story.
Andrew
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So what do you do on a hot and sticky day - thats right read a book about snow and ice. I came across an opportunity to pick up a copy of the Snow Queen in the Everyman Children's Classic series and leapt at it.

So after 95 pages of what I feel is quintessential Hans Christian Anderson here I am and I must admit that it did not disappoint. Like a lot in the series (and what seems to be a growing trend) the book used illustrations from one its famous predecessors. As such it completes the whole im
Jarom
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I. LOVE. THIS. STORY.
Yes, this is a fairy tale that I plan to tell my children before I tuck them into bed at night. Holy cow.
This is the tale of a boy and a girl. Simple enough, right? The story hasn't even begun and you know it will be good.
It all begins with a mirror. Made by demons in the pits of Hades, this mirror takes everything good that looks into it and makes it the exact opposite. The better of a person you are, the worse it makes you look.
This mirror shatters. Shards fall to the ear
Milica
One day, when the Devil was feeling very good about himself, he created a special mirror. The mirror took everything that was good and beautiful in the world and turned it into bad and ugly, and when things were bad and ugly it did the opposite. When the goblins – the Devil’s pupils tried to fly to Heaven, to mock angels, the mirror laughed so much that it slipped from goblins’ hands and shattered into millions of pieces when it hit the ground. Some of those pieces were so small that they could ...more
Mackey
The Snow Queen is one of my favorite tales from my childhood. I grew up in the southern US where it never snowed so the imagery of so much snow and ice, reindeer and beauty always astounded me. Although I've moved north, while re-reading this story, that beauty still does overwhelm me.

I had no idea that this was the premise for Disney's "Frozen" since I don't do Disney and even now I'm rather taken aback at the thought. The Snow Queen has so many layers, different stories, tales within tales an
Rebecca
Beautifully written and incredibly intriguing, I didn't absolutely love it but I didn't dislike it. Just a very nice, quick read to start the year. I can also see little fragments of it in Frozen!
Chrissie
An excellent fairy tale. Fairy tales should first scare you and then resolve happily. This fits that bill. It must be entertaining to both the adult reading the tale and the child. I admit it; I was tense, annoyed and worried ....and then happy. If the parent is bored, it is not a good fairy tale. The child will feel your own emotional response.

Hans Christian Andersen knew how to write stories for both adults and kids. I chuckled. I marveled at the author's ability to create an exciting story, e
Radwa
May 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
After listening to a Myth and Legends' and Disney Origins' podcasts, both tackling this story, I had to read it, even though I already knew everything about it from the two podcasts.

It's weird how "Frozen" is labeled is being adapted or whatever from this story, because other than Snow being an important part of the story, THEY HAVE NOTHING IN COMMON! Disney's Frozen and Hanz's Snow Queen are very different stories.

Now onto this story, it's my first full-length story I've read by the guy (surpr
Duane
This Hans Christian Andersen children's story is a classic tale of good versus evil, played out by the young Gerda and Kay as they thwart the evil intentions of the Snow Queen. It may be too intense for very young children, but it redeems itself with a sweet ending. Several adaptations have been made into movies, plays, and musicals, the latest being Disney's very popular movie, Frozen.

• The Princess and the Pea
  • Little Red Riding Hood
  • Hansel and Gretel
  • Heydar Aliyev
  • The Little Fir Tree
Hans Christian Andersen (often referred to in Scandinavia as H. C. Andersen) was a Danish author and poet. Although a prolific writer of plays, travelogues, novels, and poems, Andersen is best remembered for his fairy tales. Andersen's popularity is not limited to children; his stories — called eventyr, or "fairy-tales" — express themes that transcend age and nationality.

Andersen's fairy tales, wh

Articles featuring this book

The holiday season is all about comfort and joy, but—let's be real—it can be a bit hectic too. That's why we suggest cozying up with a...
“I can give her no greater power than she has already, said the woman; don't you see how strong that is? How men and animals are obliged to serve her, and how well she has got through the world, barefooted as she is. She cannot receive any power from me greater than she now has, which consists in her own purity and innocence of heart. If she cannot herself obtain access to the Snow Queen, and remove the glass fragments from little Kay, we can do nothing to help her.” 160 likes
“When we get to the end of the story, you will know more than you do now...” 15 likes