Start by marking “The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry” as Want to Read:
The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  193,406 ratings  ·  26,422 reviews

Originally published as The Collected Works of A. J. Fikry.

"Who the hell are you?" A.J. asks the baby.

For no apparent reason, she stops crying and smiles at him. "Maya," she answers.

That was easy, A.J. thinks. "How old are you?" he asks.

Maya holds up two fingers.

"You're two?"

Maya smiles again and holds up her arms to him."

A.J. Fikry, the grumpy owner of Island

Published December 2nd 2014 by Abacus (first published April 1st 2014)

·  193,406 ratings  ·  26,422 reviews

Start your review of The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry
Rebecca
Im starting to think Im the only bibliophile on earth who didnt care for this book. After everything Id read about it, I didnt think it could possibly fail to be fantastic. For me, though, it tips way too far into chick lit and YA territory, and succumbs too often (and too early) to schmaltz and melodrama.

Now, there are certainly some good points. A.J. himself, an independent bookseller and just-coping widower, is a delightfully irascible character with some decided literary prejudices that I
Delee

We read to know we're not alone. We read because we are alone. We read and we are not alone. We are not alone.

Once in a while a book comes along that captures your heart and soul- where the characters become like friends and family, and a part of you wants to pack a bag and travel to that magical place forever. At the start you just know it is going to be something special- by the end you feel physical pain knowing that these people are gone from your life...One day you may pick it back up to
Alejandro
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alejandro by: Idarah
Every word the right one and exactly where it should be. That's basically the highest compliment I can give...

...and I am truly glad that it didn't took me so long to read it!!!

The words you can't find, you borrow...

Maybe I could find the words but honestly, that first quote from this wonderful book was the right way to compliment it. And to do that, well I quote a second one too.

And you will find several quotes in this review since honestly, this is one of the most quotable novels that I
Emily May
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, 2014
"There ain't nobody in the world like book people."

It's a bit embarrassing to admit how emotional this book made me. I'm not even a fan of Zevin's work; I quite liked the concept behind Elsewhere but not the execution, and I pretty much hated All These Things I've Done. But this book is just so warm and funny and bittersweet. It speaks to the thing inside me that has always loved books, will always love books, and has allowed my life to be swept in certain directions by my love for literature.
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
This is definitely a new favorite of mine! Such an incredibly charming story.
karen
A town isn't a town without a bookstore.

while it's true that this is the literary equivalent of a stone skipped over a pond, it's a pretty damn charming stone. reading about other booknerds, even when they are better described as bookcranks, is delightful to me. A Novel Bookstore, Salamander, Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, etc are among my favorite books. are they the best books ever written? nah. but they have characters whose sensibilities are so close to my own, it's hard not to feel a
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
*4.5 Stars* because how can any bonafide book-nerd not adore this quirky and heartfelt tribute to literature!

I dont know about you, but I could dwell inside the richly entertaining mind of one A.J. Fickry forever. Or at least every other weekend.

Because thats exactly what this novel simulates: a casual stroll through the mind of a complex, yet vastly simple middle-aged widower whose outlook on life has deflated.

Life has knocked him down, as it tends to do, and A.J. finds comfort in the
Crumb
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-books-ever
What can I say?
This novel was the ruination of me.. and I couldn't be happier. Sometimes when i love a book to pieces, it is easy to write a review and sometimes it is difficult. For this novel, the latter is true. I lack the adequate language needed to evoke the emotion that The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry stirred within me. You can't help but fall in love with the curmudgeon, bookseller A.J. I don't know if I've ever loved a character more than him. Although the plot was simplistic, the
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Well shit this was good...

If you're looking for a fun summer read, a book that will make you laugh and cry, grab this one!

Just wish there wasn't a spoiler for The Awakening :/
Carmen
May 10, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of John Green and Nicholas Sparks
This is the most precious, adorable, cutesy-wootsey bunch of tripe I have ever read in my life. How is this book so popular? It's cliché after cliché after cliché ad nauseam. Ugh.

A grumpy-grumpy bookseller who is a widower leads a sad and lonely Scrooge-like life until a chubby, perfect, articulate, beautiful baby is left in his book shop and teaches him to love and live again! Excuse me while I go vomit in the corner. Then to top it all off (view spoiler)
Always Pouting
I wanted to like this book, the writing was good and the characters were interesting but I just couldn't. I know that A.J. is the one being critical and snobbish about what entails good writing or literature but it just felt like I was being lectured to and god I resent being told what to do so much, also I think short stories are rarely good so I want to fight A.J. At one point also there's this passage about how if you see something mentioned in the beginning of the book you want it to come ...more
Ann
Thank you to the publisher for an advance reading copy.

I shouldn't have read this. A book marketed as "heartwarming" is never for me. But I read it anyway because I love books about books so much, and it sounded so good! Based on the book's description and marketing, I know that it's meant to really appeal to book clubs and librarians and bookstores, and I think the author is doing everything humanly possible to kiss up to those groups without delivering anything with any depth. I don't think it
Carol
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's joy in my heart and a skip in my step today after closing the last page of this jewel of a book. A must for book lovers and booksellers alike, The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry is an affirmation of the love of books and reading and how they meld lives together.

A.J. Fikry, is the owner of the independent bookstore, Island Books. Fikry is grieving the loss of his wife, sales are down, a rare book worth scads of money is stolen from the shop leaving him irritable, and irritating. Frankly he's
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I love getting books from Netgalley. You never know what you are going to get. It might be a complete dud or it might be something like this book. A book that sweeps you up. A book that makes you want more. I sit up tonight reading this because I just couldn't stop.

AJ Fikry is a snarky man who owns a bookstore. Every bookworm's dream, and he is a major bookworm. "Despite the fact that he loves books and owns a bookstore, AJ does not particulary care for writers".
AJ has a rare book worth
Ariel
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
☺☺☺☺

This was really lovely. It was perfectly written (seriously, Gabrielle Zevin has mastered using the English language), and heartfelt. It was a little sappy at times, but it felt appropriate. I loved the span of this book - over a decade of fascinating stuff happened. And I loved the setting - a book store on a tiny island. I loved the emphasis on books and love and trying to be a good person.

I'm not giving a 5/5 simply because I don't think it did anything particularly new, and didn't make
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
It's entirely possible that I'm as much of a curmudgeon as A.J. Fikry.

Reading a book about a bookstore and books and the people who love them seemed like a can't-miss proposition. And, in fact, there were parts of this book that I liked very much: the police chief who unexpectedly turns himself and most of his force into readers; the subplot with the theft of Poe's Tamerlane: Poem; the brief chapter intros where A.J. talks about various stories.

But overall the novel just felt a lot more
Diane
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not a perfect novel, but it is filled with bookish charm and easy grace.

I picked up The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry at just the right time. I wanted something light and entertaining, and (hopefully) with a happy ending. And that is what I got, with the bonus of lots of literary references, some small-town whimsy and even a little romance.

A. J. Fikry is a cranky bookstore owner in New England. His life is in a rut: He lost his wife, his store is struggling and then his rare copy of Edgar
emma
SOS.

HELP.

THE SITUATION IS DIRE.

I cant stop reading books about bookstores.

A book about a bookworm will do in a pinch, but really bookstores are the only way to go. And its gotten so grim that Ive resorted to rereading books I read a few years ago and vaguely remember being pretty good but had no intention of rereading.

Luckily, in this case, it turned out to be better than pretty good.

I read this in between a couple of romancey fluffy things about bookstores, which really were more vessels for
Maggie Stiefvater
Book on books, with additional books in the back upon request.
Whitney Atkinson
When people would say, "Every book lover needs to read this book," I always thought it was such a stupid basis to recommend a book off of. Just because a book breaks a fourth wall and presents a story about a fellow book lover doesn't mean it's better than any other book out there. But after reading this book, I get it. I get it so much. This book is for every book lover. And I will never shame someone for recommending it on that front ever again. This story will truly connect to people who live ...more
Jeanette (Again)

This is a story to be read solely for the nerdistic cachet of getting all the literary references and book biz jokes. Even if you're alone and there's no one to applaud you for being so well read, there's still that little frisson of snobbish self-satisfaction when you recognize the book or short story mentioned or alluded to. And when you know which books and authors are made up, because you've never heard of them. Am I really that much of a book dork that I give a rodent's posterior
Carol
Don't you just love reading a book that you can't wait to get back to, a book you want to savour yet must keep on reading. This UNPUTDOWNABLE delightful story about a charming little bookstore (and so much more) fit into that category for me. It combines laugh-out-loud moments with an occasional need for a tissue, engaging characters with real life problems and a twist or two along the way.

Another 2014 favorite for this book lover!

(It pains me that we are losing our beloved bookstores. I do

Lisa
Jul 14, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-reads
I remember being ten years old and all my friends really loving New Kids on the Block. I watched them all go crazy for it and I wanted in on this amazing, musical lifestyle. So I begged my mom to buy me the tape and she finally did. I listened to it on my purple boom box the whole way through, side A and side B. And when that tape ended I knew I was in a big pickle because.... I didn't like it.

You know where this is going.

So the next time we were all together, I worked up the nerve and confessed
Debbie
A friends 7-year-old daughter once told her, Mom, you need a trip to paradise. I wish my kid had said it to me, but never mind. Im taking it to mean, Mom, you and Debbie need a trip to paradise. Well, holy shit, I found it! Island Books, the setting for this book, is located smack in the middle of paradise.

I purposely didnt read any reviews before diving in, and Im glad. Strange and wonderful things start happening right from the beginning, and Im caught off guard and delighted. I thought, oh
Nataliya
Unexpectedly and unabashedly charming. Cozy, sweet and life-affirming and yet somehow avoiding the overt sentimentality, managing to remain quietly refreshing and, again, charming in the nicest meaning of that word.
"The most annoying thing about it is that once a person gives a shit about one thing, he finds he has to start giving a shit about everything."
It's a lovely quiet story about the way a life of a lonely and surly bookseller on a remote New England island gets turned around when he
Dolors
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Book lovers of all ages and literary tastes
Recommended to Dolors by: Zevin
Shelves: read-in-2019
I dont know how many times my eyes skimmed through this title in the last years, reminding me vaguely of how much I loved Margarettown in what seems like a lifetime ago, and how easily I discarded it, thinking I wouldnt find it worthy after the more literary works Ive come to read since I joined GR.
How arrogant of me.

This is a simple book to read. A page turner with short chapters, written in a fast, light-hearted prose that sounds so natural and easy-going that youll forget you are reading a
Idarah
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, read-2014
"A question Ive thought about a great deal is why it is so much easier to write about the things we dislike/hate/ acknowledge to be flawed than the things we love." A.J. Fikry

I stayed up late last night to finish this book, and hoped that by the time I woke up this morning, I'd have a clear idea about why and what I loved most about this book. I'm still at a loss for words because I love every single part of this book!

Fittingly, it was recommended by the owner of a tiny independent bookstore
Julie
The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin is a 2014 Algonquin Books publication.

Thanks to my Goodreads friend, Carol, for introducing me to this book!

ISLAND BOOKS
Alice Islands Exclusive Provider of Fine Literary Content since 1999

No Man Is an Island; Every Book Is a World

This is the second books about books novel Ive read this week, and I have to say, its nice to know so many people share the same enthusiasm for books that I do.

This story is poignant and bittersweet, but is also
Nat
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diverse-reads
A place is not really a place without a bookstore.

tumblr_omegnlbzpf1vyjupno10_400
The beginning of The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry was the most fun I had reading a fiction book since the start of this year. What compelled me to give it a go was seeing this next quote shared online:

People tell boring lies about politics, God, and love. You know everything you need to know about a person from the answer to the question, What is your favorite book?

And Im forevermore grateful because what followed was something I couldnt have
Maxwell
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-it, kindle, 2014, 2017
Second read: December 28-29, 2017
Every bit as good as the first time I read it! Totally plucked my heartstrings and reminded me why I love books and people who love books. Bumping this up to 4.5 stars. <3

First read: June 20-21, 2014
Wow! My friend Liz was kind enough to send me this on my kindle, and I had heard great things about it from my friend Jenny. However, I did not expect to like this as much as I did. (In fact, I really want to own it in physical form now).

Basically this book follows
OLP Faculty & Sta...: Extra Book 3 4 Jun 23, 2019 11:24PM
Busy as a Bee Books: The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin 30 49 Jan 11, 2019 11:10AM
SSJCPL (Stockton-...: The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry 5 12 Dec 18, 2018 02:28PM
South Shore Readers: Discussion: The Storied Life of AJ Fikry 8 17 Nov 25, 2018 09:11AM

• The Dutch House
  • The Bookish Life of Nina Hill
  • Evvie Drake Starts Over
  • The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek
  • Where the Crawdads Sing
  • The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
  • The Giver of Stars
  • A Man Called Ove
  • The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry (Harold Fry, #1)
  • Ask Again, Yes
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • The Bookshop on the Corner (Scottish Bookshop #1)
  • Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, #1)
  • Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine
  • Daisy Jones & The Six
  • I'd Rather Be Reading: The Delights and Dilemmas of the Reading Life
  • City of Girls
  • Dear Edward
GABRIELLE ZEVIN is an internationally bestselling author whose books have sold millions of copies and been translated into over thirty languages.

Her eighth novel, The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry (2014), spent months on the New York Times Bestseller List, reached #1 on the National Indie Best Seller List, and has been a bestseller all around the world. The Toronto Globe and Mail called the book a

Articles featuring this book

Calling all bibliophiles! What better way to celebrate the joy of reading than with a book about, well, books? To create this list, we took...
“Sometimes books don't find us until the right time.” 993 likes
“You know everything you need to know about a person from the answer to the question, What is your favorite book? 555 likes