Start by marking “Green is the New Black: How to Change the World with Style” as Want to Read:
Green is the New Black: How to Change the World with Style

Green is the New Black: How to Change the World with Style

3.35  ·  Rating details ·  121 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Does our shopping addiction contribute to climate change? What’s so special about organic cotton? Who are the real fashion victims behind cheap jeans? From the truth about fast fashion to the best biodegradable shoes, from guilt-free spending sprees to the joys of swishing parties, Tamsin Blanchard is your guide to all things fair trade and fabulous. She explains the princ ...more
Published June 28th 2008 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published June 30th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Green is the New Black, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Green is the New Black

SoManyBooks SoLittleTime (Aven Shore)
Reading this ten years after she wrote it is a very interesting experience (remembering when books listed website addresses, for one thing).

It's very hopeful and optimistic about the numerous choices consumers (who also care about fashion) have that can take us all in a better, more conscious direction. Think about our consuming, consume consciously! We'll all be healthier and happier, yay!

From 2017, how did that go? Nowhere, it seems. The very idea of thinking about your footprint, evaluating
Fiona Forthe
Apr 21, 2018 rated it liked it
There are some good resources in the book for people who want to live a more sustainable, planet-friendly life. However, some of the messages are so heavy-handed it's ridiculous. This will not convince anyone who's on the fence about whether they want to search out green alternatives, but does sing to the choir.
Bess
Oct 13, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book originates in the UK circa. 2007 and was just brought over to American readers 100% as-is, so many of the references and resources are largely useless (.co.uk web sites, where to find quality knickers and how to recycle your old trainers, etc.) A huge turnoff for me is the suggestion early on that it's worth it for gals to save up all their lives to be put on the waiting list for a multi-thousand dollar designer bag because the things really do last forever, when meanwhile, I have hand ...more
Mich
May 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Although it spurred some ideas and gave tips on how to incorporate the 'green' into everyone's everyday fashion, the book, for me, fell short as it only mostly featured shops & websites that catered to the Brit eco-chic. I was hoping to see suggestions of brands/organizations/individuals from all over the world (citing the fact that she's traveled to different parts of the world to do fashion shoots). And some of the tips have already been done before. I was hoping to learn more than what I' ...more
Michelle De Guzman
Jun 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fashionistas with great desire to be eco-chic.
Sarah Potter
Jun 16, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a really useful reference book about ethical shopping and tips on how to make and mend the existing items of your wardrobe. Sometimes I felt that the writer and a few of the contributors to this book came from a position of privilege, from which they could prescribe how the poorer amongst us should consider the even poorer in our choices. I felt an affinity with the idea of shopping in and donating to charity shops, but had some difficulty with imagining myself investing in a brand new, ...more
Phyllis
Mar 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Most of the advice in here that's financially feasible for me I already do, and the rest is sort of ridiculously idealized, expensive planet of the fashion and beauty editors type nonsense that only people with a lot of time and a lot of money are going to be feeling. AND YET, for some reason this book has a soothing effect on me not unlike the stress-reducing and calming properties of the classic works of original recipe Heloise. Every time I try to get rid of it because there really isn't a lo ...more
Melissa
May 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book is full of tips for making your shopping footprint smaller. If you are crafty or a shopaholic this book will be useful for you.

I found many of this books suggestions useful, but many require sewing skills or money. Neither of which I have a lot of. However, there are sewing patterns, recipes for environmentally friendly body care, recipes for food and jewelry ideas.

The art is lovely inside the book. And the book has black and green ink throughout it. There are 11 chapters. This book is
Ulrich
Mar 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Sort of a British pre-etsy eco shopping guide.

More of a curiosity than truly useful.

Cute writing.

I bookmarked be sweet productions on her recommendation. The yarn does look very nice.

I glossed over most of her recommendations though because I assume they are outdated and all the local stuff she mentions is, of course, across the pond from me.

It did remind me that I need to start DIY-ing again. So that was nice.
Devika
Mar 06, 2016 rated it liked it

Written like a long Vogue article, this book is quite informative about sustainability and its lesser known aspects. A fairly quick read with some handy DIY tips for clothing, jewellery, and body products.

The writing can seem a little repetitive and drab at times, but regardless would recommend it to anyone trying to get an overarching picture of the sustainable lifestyle space.
Elin
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
4* because there's some really good tips in it. I also got to know a lot of stuff about fashion and the environment, and I marked several of the pages as usable help for making or re-making my own clothes.
Saya
May 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
Good idea (exposing the wastefulness of the fashion industry and suggesting alternatives) but the execution...magazine-y and throwaway. Probably the intention as it's probably aimed at the High Street multitudes but it's a bit thin somehow.
Trish
Dec 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fashion-beauty, 2013
This book was alright. I feel guilty and depressed after reading this. There were some interesting facts in here though.
Saar
Feb 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: organic girls
This is the best book a eco-friendly but hip^girl needs!
It's packed with tips for ecoclothing, travelling, hobbys, clubbing, buying, whatever!
I plan on a Belgian version!
And it will rock!
Anne Hoffman
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
a fun read about two of my favorite subjects: the environment & fashion
Roisin
Aug 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
loved it. really opened my eyes and had brilliant websites in the little green book...
Fran
Mar 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
A great way to open your mind to the truth behind major fashion chains and labels! Gets your thinking, and offers some great alternatives, although mainly in the UK.
Eryn
Sep 10, 2008 added it
Though I don't consider myself a fashionista, this was a fun book to read. It made you think twice about going out and buying all that cute stuff you see hanging in the shop windows.
Ladybug1399
Jan 01, 2009 marked it as to-read
I got this one for christmas too, cant wait to start this one!!
Peta
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
It was ok but a little dated and very localised to the UK. Not so much on style as it is reducing your environmental impact when shopping.
Kari
Jan 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Great book for the "green" fashionista. Love the list of links to green sites, and the book includes a wonderful shopping directory.
AYLA
Jenniffer Davies
rated it did not like it
Mar 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Sara Snow's Fresh Living: The Essential Room-by-Room Guide to a Greener, Healthier Family and Home
  • The Lazy Environmentalist: Your Guide to Easy, Stylish, Green Living
  • Cohesive Story Building
  • Wear Sunscreen: A Primer for Real Life
  • Essential Dickinson
  • Stand by Your Man
  • Two Is Lonely (Jane Graham, #3)
  • Naked Fashion: The New Sustainable Fashion Revolution