Start by marking “Bargaining for Advantage: Negotiation Strategies for Reasonable People” as Want to Read:
Bargaining for Advantage: Negotiation Strategies for Reasonable People

Bargaining for Advantage: Negotiation Strategies for Reasonable People

As director of the renowned Wharton Executive Negotiation Workshop, Professor G. Richard Shell has taught thousands of business leaders, administrators, and other professionals how to survive and thrive in the sometimes rough-and-tumble world of negotiation. His systematic, step-by-step approach comes to life in this book, which is available in over ten foreign editions an ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 320 pages
Published May 2nd 2006 by Penguin Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Bargaining for Advantage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bargaining for Advantage

Start your review of Bargaining for Advantage: Negotiation Strategies for Reasonable People
Sharon
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who works for a living, especially people starting their careers
This book made me wonder why I've wasted so much time reading article-length advice on negotiation. Lots of the truisms out there don't apply to every situation, and articles don't usually equip you with enough fundamental understanding to know when to make exceptions and why. Not only does this book explain the concepts so that you can see exceptions for yourself, it also tailors the advice to different personality dispositions.

The most valuable part of this book for me was the quadrant of high
Courtney
Dec 29, 2006 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: guide, nonfiction
This is the best negotation book I've read - it really focuses on maximizing your position in a negotiation while maintaining relationships.
Victoria Zabuzova
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How comfortable are you to bargaining? Me - not so great. But this book inspired me to push myself feeling more comfortable with this inevitable, very human activity. It is really profound, structured, and practical, suggesting guidance into negotiation process - from preparation to closure and even some ethics.
Nguyen Thi Van Anh
Aug 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Some key points I've taken away from this book:
- Better negotiating starts with embracing your authentic strengths

- The best negotiators set optimistic but justifiable expectations

- Appealing to norms helps win negotiations

- Fair, reciprocal relationships are conducive to negotiating, but be careful! Don't let small gifts from the other side lure you into much larger concessions

- You need to know what motivates the other side in a negotiation

- Leverage (all of the particular advantages you have
kareem
Aug 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
We all negotiate every day. Where to go to the movies, what to eat for dinner, how much to sell your $50M revenue company for, how much your salary will be at your new job, etc. This is a very useful read, focused on breaking down how you can approach negotiations. Most of the advice you will apply only in the higher-stakes negotiations, but it gives you a good framework for how to approach any negotiation. For example, it tells you how to discern situations when you should make the first offer, ...more
Ishan
Jul 09, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: worththetime
Good to read for anybody interested in making most of their money they have earned. If you are interested in negotiations improving your negotiation skills this is a great read; skip if you are indifferent to the price you pay.
Kevin Bessey
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've ever read on negotiating.

I found "Bargaining for Advantage" most appealing on the basis that Shell wasn't writing to provide you with a tool kit that you can incorporate into your negotiating tool box, but rather he was writing about using the tools you already have to make the best deals and improve your current negotiating abilities.

The book is split into two parts: Negotiation Foundations and Negotiation Process. Part I (Neg. Foundation) was very interesting in ho
Adrian Curtin
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Without having read too many books on the subject, Bargaining for Advantage is a book which delivers exactly what it claims to. It is a useful tool in understanding aspects of the bargaining and bartering process. The main advantage to this book is that it doesn't portray the negotiation process as a simple problem with one solution, but rather as a complex one with many moving parts and many considerations but no preordained method. In general encouraging the reader to seek two party solutions ...more
Nicholas
Jul 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Rachael
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was participating in a reading group at work for this book, I came close to finishing it, so I'm just going to call it done because without anything to hold me accountable I'm not going back.

It was interesting, it is a topic I knew absolutely nothing about, and it was very helpful to have the group leader talk us through scenarios and create exercises for us. A great book for someone, like me, who thinks that the slightest bit of negotiation at a flea market is absolutely terrifying and will
Dana
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My graduate school instructor who taught negotiation recently recommended this book to me. I found it to be a much better book than Getting to Yes, another classic in the field which seems to be better known. Shell writes extremely well, provides many concrete examples, lays out a detailed and methodical strategy for improving your negotiation skills, and provides a nifty assessment in the appendix to determine your own unique style and preferences. This is a very practical book, of course, but ...more
Jarmaine Alcantara
Jul 23, 2020 rated it liked it
With Never Split The Difference as Sherlock Holmes, this book is Mycroft. The boring, intelligent brother of Sherlock. Yes, this book does contain valuable and practical information, perhaps even more useful and comprehensive than Chris Voss' book, but who cares if one can't push through with reading it. Why? Because I find the writing bland. Reading it felt like a chore. It sounded like a dad trying to lecture you about life. It wasn't a page turner and I'm at a phase of my book-reading journey ...more
Abdelazeez
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Bargaining for Advantage: Negotiation Strategies for Reasonable People Book By G. Richard Shell No matter what you do for a living, good negotiation skills help you reach your goals quickly. Trading for advantage will help you identify your negotiating style, strengths, and weaknesses, identify your trading objectives, and teach you useful tactics to get the most out of your negotiations.
Mikhail Filatov
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
The subject is quite interesting and also every chapter contains 1-2 stories about famous people negotiating - Gandhi with train conductor about first class ticket, JP Morgan with Rockefeller about iron ore field, etc. But at the same time the book is so dull, it's just 200 pages but I can't complete it for weeks, while reading several other books in parallel. Overall, the message is too basic - know yourself, know your opponent, etc.
QUINNS
Aug 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Anyone could become a good negotiator when they are themselves, whether they are super-competitive or more cooperative. However, there are a number of strategies that could improve anyone’s bargaining skills. We should approach negotiation with high expectations and by fostering strong relationships through mutual respect and reciprocity. But that does not mean being a pushover. For the author, the power of leverage is also crucial for us to understand at the negotiating table.
Matthew Volkwyn
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The ultimate introduction to negotiation (and much more). Although it is content dense, I found it easy to read thanks to all the fascinating stories of real negotiation situations that Shell puts in every chapter. It really solidifies each new concept introduced. Shell is brilliant!
Gizem Kocak
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The whole book is well-organized and structured even beyond haggling and bargaining. Each part ends a checklist that covers the focal points. It enlightens the negotiation types with the help of bargaining styles assessment tool, etc.
Minwoo
Nov 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Perhaps the appeal of the book was diminished by the fact that it was a textbook? It presents a good foundation for approaching negotiations but I definitely enjoyed never split the difference much more.
Jack Nasher
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The best book on negotiation I have come across. Concise, clear, well-written - an almost perfect book. Highly underrated.
Marc Dorval
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, sales
One of the best books on negotiation that I've read.
Almond
Oct 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Homework
Zeb
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I didn’t know much about the dynamics of negotiations before reading this book. Now I’m much more aware of the factors in play. Not to complicated and technical.
Abby
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: assigned-reading
Was fine.
Peter Arnstein
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Clear, well-written approach to negotiation. Clear, logical diagrams. Includes a self-assessment the outcome of which helps the reader determine a suitable style of negotiation.
Rachel Del Rossi
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Negotiations isnt just for angry white dudes. This really helped me find my power and weild it authentically and effectively.
Andrew Liu
Jul 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Too much rehashing of principles from influence by cialdini (in a non-reinforcing way really).
Michael Corley
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I read it. A lot of it is easy. I got more out of a negotiation theory book than I did from this. Its a good light read if you in general are looking to improve.
Michael Howard
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good overall guide on negotiation with very practical advice.
Jake Sylvestre
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
Nothing new.
Daniel Xu
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lots of golden nuggets. Enjoyed the stories presented. Last section on ethics particularly interesting
« previous 1 3 4 next »
top negotiation strategies 1 14 Jul 12, 2008 03:23AM

• Words Can Change Your Brain: 12 Conversation Strategies to Build Trust, Resolve Conflict, and Increase Intimacy
  • Mind Over Clutter: Cleaning Your Way to a Calm and Happy Home
  • Unlearn: Let Go of Past Success to Achieve Extraordinary Results
  • Questions I Am Asked About the Holocaust
  • How to Be an Adult in Relationships: The Five Keys to Mindful Loving
  • Saving Face: How to Preserve Dignity and Build Trust
  • The Serendipity Mindset: The Art and Science of Creating Good Luck
  • Deviate: The Science of Seeing Differently
  • The Chemistry Book: From Gunpowder to Graphene, 250 Milestones in the History of Chemistry
  • The Yoga of Breath: A Step-by-Step Guide to Pranayama
  • Austerity: When It Works and When It Doesn't
  • Resilient: How to Grow an Unshakable Core of Calm, Strength, and Happiness
  • A Handbook for New Stoics: How to Thrive in a World Out of Your Control—52 Week-by-Week Lessons
  • The Fate of Rome: Climate, Disease, and the End of an Empire
  • The Hidden Brain: How Our Unconscious Minds Elect Presidents, Control Markets, Wage Wars, and Save Our Lives
  • Driven: How Human Nature Shapes our Choices
  • The Disordered Mind: What Unusual Brains Tell Us about Ourselves
  • Working in the Gig Economy: How to Thrive and Succeed When You Choose to Work for Yourself
G. Richard Shell is the Thomas Gerrity Professor of Legal Studies, Business Ethics, and Management at the Wharton School of Business. His latest book, Springboard: Launching Your Personal Search for Success (Penguin/Portfolio 2013), was named Business Book of Year for 2013 by the largest business bookseller in the United Sates, 800CEOREAD. He is the Director of Wharton’s Executive Negotiation Work ...more