Start by marking “Running from a Crazy Man (and Other Adventures Traveling with Jesus)” as Want to Read:
Running from a Crazy Man (and Other Adventures Traveling with Jesus)

Running from a Crazy Man (and Other Adventures Traveling with Jesus)

You're restless. Trouble has you gasping beside the narrow road. This is your invitation back to the adventure.

Some Christians leave their relationship with God in a sealed box like a collectible that will be worth something "someday." Not you. You wholeheartedly answered the call to follow Him into the great adventure.

Then, something unexpected happened that left you
Published December 1st 2014 by Straight Street Books

To ask other readers questions about Running from a Crazy Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Running from a Crazy Man

Start your review of Running from a Crazy Man (and Other Adventures Traveling with Jesus)
Deb Haggerty
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deb’s Dozen: 12-Word Summaries - Running from a Crazy Man (and other adventures traveling with Jesus) AMEN!

I met Lori Roeleveld at the New England Writers’ Conference a few weeks ago. I attended her workshop on Blogging—you see, I’d love to see PositiveGrace.com become the go-to blog for readers of Christian books. I learned much from Lori that day—not the least of which was that I write not for you nor for myself nor for fame nor for fortune, but for my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Lori asked
Michele Creech
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roeleveld spins you around, turns you on your head, makes you take a deep look at yourself as a Christian, pinpoints our mere humanness ... and then she loving embraces you and invites you - no encourages you - to join her in the battle. Do you attend church every Sunday without fail? Not enough. Volunteer in your church and community? Not enough. Pray every night? Not enough. Because the crux of the matter is that we can never do enough for Him who has given us eternal life.

Like Gandalf guiding
Janeen Ippolito
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well-written devotional with humorous geek references next to Scripture insights. Nicely done!
Sharon Thiel
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some writers are truly gifted at writing, but leave you wondering if they really know their topic. In "Running from a Crazy Man", Lori Stanley Roeleveld leaves the reader with no doubts at all, for her heart has been changed by her own experience in each segment shared, and it shows!

This collection is culled primarily from her blog posts, and touches on almost every topic that has nibbled at our own thoughts, challenged or even crippled our own mindset, or been shouted at us from the headlines o
Sara Parker
I received a copy of this book through a Goodreads giveaway.

Lori has the same gift my "second mom" and devotional author Casandra Martin has: she can find a Biblical message in everyday events. It's incredible. She's also full of pop culture references that I know and love as a 25-year-old, and she's also full of snark. This is a fun read that happens to be full of truth at the same time.

You can read it like a devotional or straight through like a regular chapter book. Some chapters will hit you
Mary Beth
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book takes an honest and challenging look at life, faith, and relationships. Roeleveld writes in a way that connects. She shares stories from her own life that gave me a chance to identify with her struggles and questions. Her examples made me think about my own beliefs and how they are (or aren’t) reflected in the way that I’m living. I was challenged to go deeper with life and not settle. This is a book that I’ll definitely go back and read again and again. It made me think and opened up ...more
Bethany Kaczmarek
I can't say enough about this book. When I can get my hands on a copy, I'm sure my highlighter will run out of ink. As it is, my walls are dotted with Post-It notes that give me an injection of humility, a shot of courage, and all the Truth I can handle.Lori is a not only the honest look-you-straight-in-the-eye-over-coffee-and-hard-conversation friend, but she's the woman next to me in the trenches.
Tina Hunt
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fresh. Challenging. Insight-full. These words typify Lori Roeleveld's writing and this book is all that and then some. Read it for yourself and make sure you buy a couple extra copies because it will make a treasured gift.
Charles
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Spoiler alert: the title sounds like it belongs to a thriller involving another morbid antagonist. It’s not. The subtitle indicates the crazy man is Jesus, you might want to label it sacrilegious. It’s not that either. When you open the cover and begin with the first page (and I hope you do), you will discover the vulnerable honesty of the writer’s growth in trusting the Lord.

Too often she (and we, too, if we can be as honest) reacts to what God is asking of her as if he has truly lost it. It m
Tony Parsons
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite: 16 Church Bullies.
The author would like to know how do you rate yourself with religion?

I did not receive any type of compensation for reading & reviewing this book. While I receive free books from publishers & authors, I am under no obligation to write a positive review. Only an honest one.

A very awesome book cover, great font & writing style. A very well written 70 different biblical faith questionable chapters (book). They were all very easy for me to read/follow from start/fini
Michele
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am disabled and live with horrible chronic pain that even pain meds can’t touch, so obviously I deal with great loss and depression and this book came to me exactly when I needed it, the author touched on every emotion and pain I struggle with as a child of God expelling the myth that if you are saved you should never experience pain or suffering and that Jesus is there even when he falls silent in the valleys of our lives, and reminding me see my father in the wonders all around me. I would r ...more
Deb
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best I've read

I wasn't sure what to expect when I downloaded this book. It only took 1 or 2 short chapters before I realized I had a gem in my hands. Ms. Roeleveld speaks from her heart, directly to mine. So many times I felt she had written the words I read specifically for me. I felt Holy Spirit both encouraging and convicting me many times. Even now, having just completed the book, I look forward to reading it again. This one is worth your time...don't miss out.
John Weiler
Jan 21, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not to my liking.

In the forward, the author’s mentor makes magnificent promises “Get ready. For tears. For laughter. For comfort. For great hope. And for a journey that will take you deeper into the kingdom than you’ve probably ever gone.” Unfortunately, for me the book did not deliver on those promises: no tears; little laughter; no hope; shallow journey.

My high expectations coupled with Lori’s golly-gee style led to a big disappointment for me. I wish you better.
Cherrilynn Bisbano
Lori challenged me in my walk with Jesus. Her real and personal writing style keeps me reading her books. I highly suggest this book to every believer. Get ready to be moved, challenged, and encouraged. I keep it close so I can re-read it.
Diane
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love books Roeleveld loves, and the redemption that shows in movies. My favorite chapter was 68 and Luke Skywalker’s light saber. Nothing can stop the light. Darkness cannot hide. Bold and encouraging.
Cathy Daub
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Spurs you on

She writes what I'm thinking. A book to read & read again. Enjoyed every word & makes you want to share it.
Randy Tramp
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I began reading this book and wanted to stop. It disturbed me, made me angry. But I felt the need to keep reading. I did.

Words, like a sword, cut into my inner most being. Lori told it straight. And I loved it.

My wife, when giving our kids medicine will at times mixes it with applesauce. There's a lot of applesauce in this book. I found myself laughing and learning.

When reading this book, I thought of a supermarket. There are things on the shelves I would buy, and there are things on the shelves
Heidi
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Excellent! I've been following Lori's blog for a while and finally decided to read her books after ages of trying to get around to it. I'm so glad I used this as a devotion.

Lori is a writer of happy paradoxes: she's humorous yet serious, convicting and encouraging, sobering yet joyous. She writes like a mentor talking to you across a table over coffee. She keeps things real, but doesn't try to relate to her readers so much that she places making them smile over giving 'em a good old spiritual ki
Elaine Steil
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Running from a Crazy Man, indeed.

Don't you you just love the title? I must confess it grabbed my attention even though I have read blogs written by this Author. This book will make you think, think deeper about Jesus, faith and your own beliefs. I gave this book a 5 star rating. This is the Author's first book and she hit the bulls eye. Jesus always spoke the truth in love and so does the Author. Lori challenges the reader in every chapter. She is smart, knows her stuff, is savvy and her sense o
ME
May 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
This actually makes me mad because I BOUGHT this book on the recommendations of Jerry Jenkins and James Rubart, both of whom I respect as thoughtful, thought-provoking writers. This book, however, is a been-there-heard-that-sermon rehash of, well, every pithy trite piece of fluffy "wisdom" parsed out during most women's Bible studies. The chapters are written in a way that sounds like blog material (except her blog is so much better that I cannot for the life of me reconcile this book to what I' ...more
W. Whalin
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a Christian, it's a challenge to live out your faith in today's world. Lori Stanley Roeleveld gives readers practical insight for everyday living. Each chapter is a pointed story combined with Scripture. Also she includes a Ponder the Perplexities section and a key lesson to takeaway called Remember. Whether you read from the beginning to the end or use each chapter as a daily devotion, this book will open your eyes to a world that needs Jesus. I enjoyed reading RUNNING FROM A CRAZY MAN and h ...more
Diana
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short stories that portray big lessons. There is something in here for everyone. Have a few minutes while waiting in the doctor's office or getting your hair done? Pull out this book and get a life lesson in that few minutes. No preachy, this book is down to earth, Bible based and full of wisdom on how to get closer to Jesus while trying to get through our time on earth. I was given a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Jessica Mann
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an lively, funny and deep read. Roeleveld uses fun anecdotes and well thought out parallels to living the Christian life that God intended and created for each of us to live. Roeleveld has a strong voice that is relatable, funny and though provoking. I highly recommend this to read, listen to, and gift!
Susan Walker
Interesting book about your relationship with Jesus. It is written for people who are very busy with jobs, family and life and want a relationship with Jesus. It gives us many things to think about.
Kaite
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won a free copy from the Goodreads First Reads Giveaway Program and think that it interesting. I would recommend it to everyone.
Andrea Merrell
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that will make you laugh, cry, and look at your Christian walk in a whole new way. Highly recommend it.
Shea Failmezger
May 30, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Anxious for Nothing: Finding Calm in a Chaotic World
  • Strong through the Storm: How to Be a Christian in the World Today
  • Lunacy Lake (Zoe Donovan Cozy Mystery #32)
  • Reindeer Roundup (Zoe Donovan Mystery #27)
  • The Saint Paddy's Promise (A Tess and Tilly Cozy Mystery Book 6)
  • When Crickets Cry
  • Wrapped in Rain
  • Ghostly Graveyard (Zoe Donovan Mystery #17)
  • Pilgrim in the Parlor (The Inn at Holiday Bay, #6)
  • The Mad Catter (Whales and Tails #2)
  • The Halloween Haunting (A Tess and Tilly Cozy Mystery Book 7)
  • Much Ado About Felines (Whales and Tails #4)
  • Chasing Fireflies: A Novel of Discovery
  • Pumpkins in Paradise (TJ Jensen Paradise Lake Mystery #1)
  • A Tale of Two Tabbies (Whales and Tails #7)
  • The Power of a Clear Conscience: Let God Free You from Your Past
  • A Winter's Tail (Whales and Tails #11)
Lori Stanley Roeleveld is a disturber of hobbits who enjoys making comfortable Christians late for dinner.

Her new book, Running from a Crazy Man (and other adventures traveling with Jesus) is available wherever fine books are sold.

Jesus lover. Blogger. Wife. Mother. Part-time dragon slayer. Not available for children's parties.

You’ll find Lori at her website http://www.loriroeleveld.com or on her