Start by marking “The Wizard Hunt (The Forgotten Wizard, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Wizard Hunt (The Forgotten Wizard, #1)

The Wizard Hunt

(The Forgotten Wizard #1)

Determined to save his dying father, Roland Roper only has one hope. Decades after the Greystone war, wizards are now presumed to be extinct. That is, until rumors fly that one has been sighted outside the village. Knowing it's his father’s only hope, Roland sets out to find this forgotten wizard.

With the help of his friend Tristan, the two set out on an adventure into t
Published November 21st 2014

To ask other readers questions about The Wizard Hunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wizard Hunt

Start your review of The Wizard Hunt (The Forgotten Wizard, #1)
Gina
Roland Roper's father is dying. There is only one hope to save him - to find the only surviving wizard in the world, the "forgotten" wizard. It was thought all the wizards were extinct, but rumors abound about just one more.

Tristan, Roland's friend, agrees to help him set out and find this wizard. Along the way, they are attacked by a magical being while traveling through the woods. They succeed in subduing him, and learn he may have a connection to the forgotten wizard. As such, they take him
Jane
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
The cover looks lovely, yes? The premise sounds pretty good with extinct wizards and a quest, yes? Well, I thought so too until I started actually reading this and discovered that the inside wasn't half as intriguing as the previous information had led me to believe. The premise really is a decent one, but unfortunately the execution is lacking. There's way too much telling instead of showing, the characters irritate the reader more than they intrigue them. I wouldn't go as far as to say that th ...more
Bill Tillman
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Forgotten Wizard

What a blast, the Laurel & Hardy of fantasy! A truly enjoyable and slapstick adventure, better than Dumb & Dumber.
Jen
Oct 05, 2020 rated it liked it
When wizards are believed to be extinct, the hope that one still exists that might help his father leads Roland on a mission in C.J. Thompson’s The Wizard Hunt (The Forgotten Wizard #1).

To read this, and other book reviews, visit my website: http://makinggoodstories.wordpress.com/.

Roland Roper’s father is dying and his only hope at surviving rests in the abilities of wizards, who are thought to be extinct. But Roland’s determination is strengthened with the rumored existence of a wizard being si
Fee Roberts
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, read-2018
The Wizard Hunt by C.J. Thompson is the first installment in The Forgotten Wizard series. Roland Roper is determined to find a cure for his ailing father.

Plot 3/5: The plot is good but executed poorly.

Characters 2/5: The characters weren't believable, or fleshed out enough for me.

World building 3/5: I would have liked to see more descriptions in all aspects of this story.

Pacing 3/5: The pacing was too slow for my taste.

Writing 3/5: I feel there is a lot of potential for this story to be built up
Essie
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a kind of boys own adventure story, but I still enjoyed it. I like how Roland was determined to save his father by finding the wizard and how Tristan (who was training to be a knight) went along to help Roland and to protect him. Tristan had some weird ideas for capturing the wizard, but he did his best to help Roland. And Cricket is so cute. Roland promised Cricket that he would not let the wizard take him back, but was unable to stop the wizard. Now he is determined to find the wizard ...more
Edward
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Cute, if amateurishly written story

Cute story but desperately in need of a professional editor. Not a full book, either, more an like the first part of a serialized novel, an introduction, not a standalone tale.
Valerie
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Wizard

I'm not sure what I expected from this book but I was a little disappointed in how slow the plot moved.
Donna Sanders
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Roland needs to find a wizard to heal his father but legend states they all died decades ago. He convinces his friend Tristian to join him on his search. Tristian does really believe that there is still a wizard alive but goes on the adventure with his friend. They come across a strange creature that claims to be an experiment and they discover his was made by the wizard. The 2 friends come up with a plan to use the creature as bait to lure and trap the wizard. But alas, the wizard is to powerfu ...more
Ryan Slattery
May 16, 2016 rated it liked it
I downloaded C J Thompson's The Forgotten Wizard because it was free, the cover was cool, and the it sounded like it had a cool concept (a world where wizards used to exist but have gone extinct, except for rumors of one being found).

The Good:
The plot moves. Some self-published authors don't have a plot with legs. This one, while not having many twists (and there's a reason for that I'll get into in the "What Didn't Work for Me" section) did keep the action moving forward.

Aside from a few lackin
Teresa Kaye
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great

This book is good, I like books that makes me use my imagination. Can wait to read the second book.
Joanne Hampton
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Young adult story. Good writing short story. Boys will be boys and they just want the wizard too heal his father. Wizards and magic. I received a complimentary copy of this book for voluntary review consideration.
EL
Dec 12, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: horrid
I got the book because the premise appeared to be interesting. I deleted the book because the characters were so uninteresting that I just did not want to "follow" them. The circumstances that compel the characters to act (i.e.: The father needing a wizard's magic to live) lacked depth despite being the sort of circumstances that should have been quite compelling. In fact, these circumstances were so lacking that even the characters themselves appear not to have been compelled by them as much as ...more
David Sand
May 06, 2016 rated it liked it
After connecting with C.J Thompson on twitter I read book one of "The Forgotten Wizard" for free.

I found The Forgotten Wizard to be a fast-paced and fun take on a more classical magic adventure. It's chapter length and fast turns make for a nice ride.

Even though the book is MG by all standards, I would have wished the author gave the main character a bit more continuity. Or at least went a bit deeper in to the motivation or feelings of his sometimes irrational decisions. He comes across as somew
Kristin King
May 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Middle grade fiction with especially juvenile characters whose flawed reasoning repeatedly take them deeper into the woods, into trouble. This is more of an introduction to the series, its fantasy world and its characters. The book ends without any sort of resolution that would qualify it as a story to stand on its own.

Still, the world is an interesting construction and the youthful protagonists are good-hearted sorts learning how to make their own way. I probably won't purchase the next books,
Dawn
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
I picked up a free copy of this book from instaFreebie.

I was really disappointed with "The Wizard Hunt". It feels like a book that hasn't been past its first draft... it's far too disjointed and there are too many typos (spec instead of speck, awe instead of aww, etc.). It just feels unready for public consumption.
The 2 stars I've rated this book are purely for the idea behind the story - and for the potential the story has. I'd beg the author to look at this story again.
Jan
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nice, short, fun tale probably set in the Middle Ages in a fantasy world. The boys are starting to sprout whiskers, but seem younger. Roland is determined to find a wizard to heal his father and asks his best friend to help. They meet interesting creatures and come close to their goal. Very enjoyable read!
Mira
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Aside from an interesting synopsis, the cover was stunning and interesting so I downloaded it 'cause it's also free!

For the love of someone most dear, Roland had to be a man enough to face whatever challenge they may encounter. The Forgotten Wizard: The Wizard Hunt is a relaxing fantasy. Though I was hoping it's a stand-alone story.
Missy
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

This is a Great book for pre-teens. I enjoyed the writing style, the plot, and description of Roland and his friends. I do think as a first book that a little back story would have been nice, but that can always be a "mini" book later. I look forward to learning more about Cricket!
Dixie Petersen
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nice little fantasy, kids should really enjoy it!

It was a fun, rather short read. I liked the main character, Roland, although the frequent antagonism between he and his "friend", gets a bit frustrating to read. It makes me wonder why they are friends. I like that Roland's mission is an honorable and noble one.
Janean
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
ok

OK. would probably read others in the series. a little short and definitely for kids, I would say younger than the suggested 12.
Janie
Dec 19, 2016 rated it liked it
For the budding wizard hunters

It was a Very good book for the younger reader. It encourages the classic virtues such as love of family, courage, and integrity.
Ryan
Feb 25, 2018
Dawncee
Dec 23, 2016
Annie Erbacher
rated it did not like it
Oct 18, 2018
Cory Myers
Jan 10, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Vagabonds
  • Life is a Beautiful Thing, Book  One (Life is a Beautiful Thing #1)
  • A Golden Fury
  • The Blacksmith (Tales from the Graveyard Book 1)
  • Hook, Line and Stinker (Lily Thistle #1)
  • The Girl in the City (Leah King #1)
  • Restore (Stories of Singularity, #1)
  • Shadow City (The City of Diamond and Steel, #2)
  • Ghost Stories
  • Into the Heart of Talis (Chronicles of Talis, #0)
  • Horror Stories
  • Monster Academy for the Magical (Monster Academy for the Magical #1)
  • The Unforgiving Minute: Quantum Physics can be Murder
  • The Twelfth Tablet
  • To the River: Rescue by the Schuylkill (Cattarina Mysteries)
  • What Went Wrong With Mrs Milliard's Mech? (Inspector Ambrose Mysteries, #1)
  • The Road to Woop Woop, and Other Stories
  • The Future Is Yours

The Forgotten Wizard (3 books)
  • The Forgotten Wizard (The Forgotten Wizard, #2)
  • The Forgotten Wizard (The Forgotten Wizard, #3)