Start by marking “Once: The Musical” as Want to Read:
Once: The Musical

Once: The Musical

When an irish busker and a young Czech mother meet through a shared love of music, their songwriting sparks a deep connection and a tender, longing romance that neither of them could have expected.

Based on the much-loved Oscar-winning film, Once is an extraordinary, original and irresistibly joyous celebration of love, friendship and music. It won eight Tony Awards when it opened on B

Published March 14th 2013 by Nick Hern Books (first published October 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Once, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once

Nadja
I've seen the show many years ago at the Phoenix Theatre in London and now finally read the play as well. I listened to the songs while reading and loved the experience of it. Let me kind of relive it a bit. A brilliant piece of music and a sad yet hopeful story of old love and new beginnings. If you ever get the chance to see it live than do it, it's going to be a unforgettable night!
john heer
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OMG Samantha! You have to read this! This is gonna be big!
Hannah
Mar 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays, reviewed, romance
I read this in less than an hour. If you want a quick, sweet read, read this. It's a good play. It feels different live; I've seen bootlegs, and it's so much better on stage. In writing, it feels too fast and the humor feels forces and awkward. You lose the intimacy and beauty of the show. Nonetheless, an amazing show.
Mike Schuh
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic stage musical with an incredible soundtrack and songs. Reading the script is a little bit clunky and parts with some missing scenes that would help understand each of the characters, but an amazing musical that has to be seen.
Madeline Hull
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful story about choosing between old love and new love. Very short, but very impactful. I love both of the characters, even though we never get to know they’re names. It seems like this could happen to almost anybody.
Lauren Howard
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(4.5 Stars)

If just reading this has me feeling this way...imagine how actually seeing the show would make me feel
Pete
Oct 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny, heartfelt, and genuinely moving, Enda Walsh's play is a rare example of a theatrical adaption that greatly improves upon its source cinematic materiall.

The lovestory between an Irish street musician, and a Czech girl with a broken hoover who believes in him is genuinely moving. The staging is sublime, and its tackling of the language and setting is superb. The play expands upon secondary characters seen in the play, and adds more humour that perfectly captures the bittersweet tone.

Inclu
Michael
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This play is beautiful. Second time reading it. Huge fan of the movie, but the script for the musical is just so well written. Enda Walsh is brilliant!

Second time reading: So I went to see Once and audio recorded the whole show. I have to say, listening and reading at the same time is so emotional, now that the show has closed on Broadway and the recording is from that last show.

What I still can't get over is that I've never seen such beautiful writing in the stage directions than I
Julia
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Das Libretto zu "Once" - natürlich kein Buch im eigentlichen Sinne, aber es zu lesen, lässt das Stück neu zum Leben erwachen.

Ich glaube, wenn jemand, der Musik liebt, aber nicht unbedingt auf Musicals steht, mich fragen würde, welches ich ihm empfehlen würde: ONCE!! (Seriously!)

Girl: "You have heart and soul. These Songs need to be sung for you, for me, for everybody who has lost a love. Don't be sad - you MUST sing!"

Beautiful, touching, funny, bitter-sweet, brilliant, h
Melody
Having seen this in production twice, there is a lot to be said of the staging. And I wasn't sure how much of the magic of the piece could be chalked up to that. The script does move faster than it feels like on stage. But it's tone manages to convey hope and heartbreak. A lot of this can be chalked up to the specificity of the language. These are characters that do no use more words than they have to. Words are selected carefully here. Once does not mince words. Like "Girl" it gets right to the ...more
Julia Curtis
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A heartwarming musical that wouldn't fail to make anyone smile (and maybe cry a bit).
A tale of a guy and a girl finding themselves through music that they've known before, but have lost the passion for it. It's witty, funny, quick, and yet it paints the picture so slowly. Concentrating on every color, letting you enjoy it so.
This musical is wonderful. The script is great to read by itself, and putting it with music makes it explode with wonder. I wish I could see it live so badly. On
TheConIsOn
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After seeing the show three times I decided to buy the book to keep this magical piece of theatre with me since it was closing on the West End. While reading it I saw the show in front of me again and was laughing out loud at parts and almost moved to tears by others. I hope I'll get the chance to see this play again soon but in the mean time this book and the soundtrack will make me relive those times.
Evan Theodore
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This musical is absolutely brilliant. It's the perfect combination of tears and laughter. Every single joke makes me laugh, and the dramatic scenes are written perfectly. The music is also fantastic. The lyrics perfectly emphasize the feelings of the characters.
Kelly K
Aug 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I guess I'll just have to see the musical to really get it. It's a decent story but nothing special. The songs must be what makes this. I'm getting really annoyed with the girl helps boy figure life out, boy gets pissy when girl doesn't want a relationship with him.
Delaney
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I saw the stage production 3 times and Once is my all time favorite musical. A
Aime
May 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the song Falling Slowly and really looking forward to he play in a couple weeks. Reading the play was very good!!
Monica
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the play and reading the book was chance to re live the play again, at least the dialogue.
Alisa
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This has got to be my favourite musical of all time.
5/5
Tanja
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: musicals
Love the songs! saw the musical in London this summer 2013. Great feeling, lovely show.
Suzanne
Love this story! The music, movie and play are great, too.
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful but sad play/musical that teaches us about love, loss, music, and finding a reason to go on.
Erica
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recently learned that this story is now on Broadway...aaaaaghhhh. LOVE IT!
DeeDee Crawford
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Peter and the Starcatcher: The Annotated Script of the Broadway Play
  • Das Käthchen von Heilbronn
  • Chicago   The Musical: Vocal Selections
  • The Ferryman (NHB Modern Plays)
  • Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike
  • Sweat
  • Venus in Fur
  • The Hard Problem
  • Getting Out
Enda Walsh (born 1967) is an Irish playwright born in Dublin and currently living in London. Walsh attended the same secondary school where both Roddy Doyle and Paul Mercier taught. Having written for the Dublin Youth Theatre, he moved to Cork where he wrote Fishy Tales for the Graffiti Theatre Company, followed by Ginger Ale Boy for Corcadorca Theatre Company. His main breakthrough came with the ...more