Start by marking “To Dance Once More (Hope of the South, #1)” as Want to Read:
To Dance Once More (Hope of the South, #1)

(Hope of the South #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  228 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Stripped of her future, will she concede or fight?

Debutante Lydia Barrington lives a carefree, protected existence on Live Oaks Plantation in Florida. While her sisters happily prepare for their traditional roles as women and talk of courting, Lydia dreams of adventure and independence. She counts the days until she can leave home to explore the world, to dance with cult
Published December 12th 2014 (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about To Dance Once More, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Dance Once More

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of To Dance Once More (Hope of the South, #1)
Melanie
Feb 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-books
Blog
Amazon

To Dance Once More by Sherri Wilson Johnson is a great novel that I thoroughly enjoyed reading! While it did take me a few chapters to get into the story, after that, I was so captivated by it! I wanted to continue reading to find out what would happen, who (if anyone) Lydia would end up marrying, and if there would be a happily-ever-after ending.

With many twists, To Dance Once More held my attention to the end! I really liked the characters: Lydia, she said she wanted to travel the wo
Collette Scott
Dec 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful read! From the very first page, I was caught up in 1800s Florida plantation life, from the smell of the flowers to the sounds of nature. Ms. Wilson Johnson captured the setting to perfection, casting me back over 100 years as I watched the charming Miss Lydia Barrington come of age. As a young, idealistic teen, Lydia has high hopes of travel and freedom. However, society’s restrictions and a sneaky business deal threaten to steal it all away. Caught between duty and hope, Lydia ...more
Michelle
More like 4.5 stars.

I really enjoyed the romantic elements in this story and the ways the characters struggled in many areas of their lives. At first the writing style took some getting used to and was a bit slow for me to read, but I figured it was set during the Victorian era so the author was shooting for a Jane Austen type style, which worked for the story. I have to say that once I got used to the style and lost in the story, I couldn't stop reading. A few times I got tearful as well. The s
Anne Campbell
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is one early-American historical romance readers will like best--it is so true to the times!
Lydia Barrington is the youngest of four sisters and a twin brother--even though he preceded her by only a few minutes. She is so tired of having to wait to be old enough. Her sisters are allowed by their father to begin courting when they turn twenty, and she is only sixteen.
But then, she has no interest in courting. She wants to travel the world without a husband as cumbersome baggage to haul
Ginger Solomon
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first experience reading a book by Sherri Wilson Johnson. I loved it and will look forward to her books in the future. While this book isn't a suspense, it had enough twists and turns to keep me guessing until the final chapter. I enjoyed reading about Lydia's life, her heartaches, her desires, and her walk outside the norm of society. Her character was real and believable.

I've always wondered what it would have been like to live in the late 1800's. Now I know, at least in part. Ms. J
Daphne Self
Jul 20, 2015 rated it liked it
In the tradition of Lucy Maud Montgomery and Georgette Heyer, Sherri Wilson Johnson has written a beautiful and captivating story chronicling the trials and love of Lydia

Instead of Victorian-era England, To Dance Once More portrayed the conservatism of Victorian-era Florida.

What I found enjoyable was the prose and lyrical writing, drawing me in as though watching each scene play out before me on stage. From heartache to hope, the reader discovers the joy and rewards of sacrifice and waiting for
Andi
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having lived in Florida I was drawn to this book immediately! I could smell the orange blossoms and feel the sea breeze. Sherri did a great job bringing the Victorian era to life. I felt for Lydia! Her sisters are all about wanting to get married and live the life their mother has, she does not. She wants to do something important! Lydia's faith gets challenged because of the decision she makes and I found myself cheering and even misty eyed. This is a great book and I highly recommend it!
Sharron N
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 1st book by Sherri Johnson! I really enjoyed how she made you feel what the main character was going through. Even in a different time of life, there were still some of the same dating issues. And don't we all remember that trying time of our lives?

I didn't want to put the books down!! I'll be searching for more books by this author.

Rhonda Rock
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
To Dance Once More

I love this historical setting and the details included to underline the events of the era. Thank you for making the storyline entertaining, romantic, but not explicit or overly sexual. The nature of this novel was Christian and stayed true to the genre.
Yvonna
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
A historical romance with substance
Meldaisy Tullos
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great story

I love the storyline in this book. Keeps you guessing about what next. A very interesting read , loved it.
Victoria
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Is a great book to read
Lila
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: love-historical
A captivating read. Many unexpected moments.
Mary Jane LeKanides
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Faith in God

Spoiled young lady of the 1890s in the south., at times you feel like shaking Lydia. She is a dreamer, and desires traveling angel seeing the world, not just her small Florida town. He father"s plans for her future, do not take her desires into consideration.
Read this book to see how her belief in God shapes her life and happiness.
Mrs. Glen A. Friday
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Very Enjoyable Romance

I enjoyed To Dance Once More very much. You didn’t know for sure who the heroine would end up with until almost the end. It is also a clean romance without being too sappy.
Chanover55
A plantation family with a son & 4 daughter after the Civil War. The family is prosperous, or are they? Lydia, the youngest, wants a life different from what most woman want; will she get it or does God have other plans for her? ...more
Spunky N Sassy
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
~~~Doris's ★★★★★ Review~~~

Book 1 in the Hope Of The South Series, we are introduced to a southern family who live on a plantation in Georgia. There are many characters in the book but the main one is Lydia. She is the youngest daughter in her family.

The time is the 1800's right after the Civil War. The slaves have been freed.
Lydia comes from a wealthy family and is spoiled and self centered. She likes to spend her time fishing, reading or riding her horse. She also loves to dance! And, lately sh
Wendy
Feb 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's the end of the 1800's and times are changing in the United States especially for women. Lydia has always dreamed of a life outside of the Florida plantation where she lives, a life of travel, excitement, and purpose and definitely not one involving men, families, and babies. The youngest of the family she has been sheltered as much as possible from the world of business and politics like all Victorian women of her status. I found the author's descriptions of the area and the era vivid, imme ...more
Lynn Mcmonigal
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own-ebook
I finally finished Stradivarius. It took me nearly a week to get through. Not one on of the best books I have read this year. This one will not even a recommendation from me, not for the nook or the author. The characters were flat and unbelievable. The dialogue was not natural--it was as if each character was giving a speech rather than having a conversation with someone else. And the descriptions of places and settings were too forced. I never one felt a part of this story, which made it very ...more
Daphne Self

Jan 06, 2016 rated it did not like it
Poor Writing

This book is terrible, I don't think I made it more than a few chapters. The first thing was too much description of things that didn't need not to mention some stuff was just hokey, then the three girls went to school. Their ages were 16 and up, but their teacher taught them like they were six. Also, there seems to be a major feminist agenda, which I don't know if that is a continuous issue, but is highly annoying anyway.
Glenda Griffin
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
To Dance Once More

It was a very moving novel of recognizing your shortcomings in the face of adversity and building faith in God to direct your path even though you feel it should be done in a less painful way. I learned from experience that we make our path rougher when we are in a rebellious state. Kudos to the author.
Debbie
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lydia story will have you on the edge of your seat. Her friendship and love for Hamilton is beautiful. When she learns of plans her father has for her she is devastated. When she gets married to Frank, her fathers problems disappear. When Franks father died they're free to be with the people they really love.
Carol
Dec 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
Don't bother

This book was about as trite and boring as a book can be. The only reason I finished reading it was because I am stubborn and always finish a book once started. The heroine was missish and entirely unbelievable, even for the time period. I'm not normally inclined to read period romance and this book reminded me why that is so.

Lindi Peterson
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-finished
This was a great historical romance. It had everything you would want to read about. And I moved right on to the next one when I was finished. :) That's some good reading! I loved Lydia. She reminded me of some gals I know.
Joyful
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book by this author and I loved it. My interest was snagged by the first page and lasted to the end. All that Lydia went through made a stronger person out of her. A great Christian romance novel. Can't wait to read the next book.
Barbara
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Florida's love story

Lydia and Hamilton faced roadblocks at every turn. Their faith and dependence on God helped them prevail. His plans are far greater than we can ever imagine. Lydia learned to forgive even before an apology.
Margaret Fraleigh
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
This is the first book by this author that I have read.

I loved the story line and the characters.

Many life lessons woven throughout the story.

Can't wait to read the next book in the series
called "To laugh Once More".

Candace Roberts
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
To Dance Once More

I loved every moment reading this book. I was heart broken when the arranged marriage came to light. Then I gained respect for Frank and his arrangement with Lydia. I am extremely happy with the way this book ended. What a great love story.
Sarah Southerland
Mar 29, 2015 rated it liked it
An ok read. Got a little overly dramatic toward the end & harder to believe. Clean, Christian romance. ...more
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Dec 21, 2014 11:16AM
Clean Romances: Giveaway of To Dance Once More by Sherri Wilson Johnson (me)! 1 11 Feb 12, 2012 10:58AM

• The Likely Resolutions of Oliver Clock
  • The Missing Sister
  • Longshot Into The West
  • Bombshell (Dev Haskell #4)
  • From This Moment On (Windswept Bay, #1)
  • Going Dark (Silo 49, #1)
  • Sweet Reunion (Hope Falls, #1)
  • The Promised Land (All My Love, Detrick, #3)
  • Falling (Girl With Broken Wings, #1)
  • Shaking the Tree: Brazen. Short. Memoir (Vol. 2): Things We Don't Talk About
  • Holmes Crossing Series: Books 1, 2, 3 (Holmes Crossing)
  • The Secret Trinity: Unearth (Fae-Witch, #1)
  • The Legend of the Firewalker (The Legend of the Firewalker, #1)
  • The Other Sister (Sister Series, #1)
  • Healing Danger (Fortis Security, #1)
  • Sign Off (Caught Dead in Wyoming, #1)
  • Faithless (A Vision of Vampires, #1)
  • Time Will Tell (Timeless, #1)
I am Sherri Wilson Johnson. I live in Georgia with my husband, children and dog. Writing is my favorite pastime and, fortunately, I have been able to see my dream of publication come true. I write fiction.

Hope of the South (3 books)
  • To Laugh Once More
  • When Love Must Wait (Hope of the South #3)