Start by marking “Access” as Want to Read:
Access

Andy Weir

Access

Original Fiction, Short Story

Holding a cup of coffee in one hand and several folders in the other, he dragged his chair out from behind his desk and plopped down in to it.
Sipping the all important morning brew, he opened the first of the folders and read the summary on the front page. It was a minor matter, but something he’d need to deal with eventually. Some things just
ebook, Author's Online Fiction, 5 pages
Published July 2010 by www.galactanet.com

To ask other readers questions about Access, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Access

Start your review of Access
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Aug 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Hayat

My standard response after reading Andy Weir’s stories. Creased forehead, a few minutes pause in serious contemplation then a grin after considerable length of time when the light bulb in my head lights up in comprehension. Lol.

But really, I’m just using this as an avenue to greet a special friend a HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Happy Birthday, Hayat! (You can read the story by clicking on her name.^^). I hope your special day brings you everything your heart desires. I’m sure that include books and surely,
Debbie
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Andy Weir is the sci-fi guy who in 2011 wrote The Martian, which was made into a movie in 2015. I didn't do the book or movie, but I keep running across teensy stories of his—so teensy you can read them in 3 minutes. I've read three or four, and each one has a cool twist ending.

I completely and utterly loved one of his stories, Annie's Day, and this makes me open to others, forever in search of another gem like that. Besides, who doesn't have 3 minutes?

Most of Weir’s shorties are just so-so for
Carol
Dec 27, 2016 rated it liked it
HA! Not sure Rachel's "super powers" would work in the real world, but ACCESS is another little fun free read by Andy Weir with his usual format of providing a twisty end.
Christina
Another entertaining short story by the talented Andy Weir. I've gotta say though, I think that this one would be better as either a novella or full length novel...it has some great potential.

To read this short story, click here
Hayat
There is always a trick, a brilliant twist in Andy Weir novels and I'm starting to see a pattern in his short stories. The premise for Access is intriguing, it needs to be explored and made into a full novel and then a movie staring Scarlett Johansson! You can read this free short story here
Mario
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5

Why isn't this a full length book? This should be a full length book
Kelli
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
This was quick and cute.
Vicki
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
This short story had me drawn in and once I knew all about her, I wanted this story to continue. This was too good to be a short story. Flesh it out after the reveal at the end. It is worth reading. You can read it here
Nadin Adel
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: novel
Mindtwisting .. I am still not sure I fully got it!
Alondra
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

All I want to know is why?? Why could she do what she did?? Who is she or shall I say, What is she??

Interesting. *ponders*
Todd Coburn
Apr 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Hmmmm. The best part, is that it makes you think. I felt growing confusion, a little intrigue, then back to confusion. Then the punch line, a pause.... huh?? ...oohhh.

So, there you have it.

...but it is short, and different. So why not?
Jana
Sep 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
It's a neat idea, and it's obvious (just in this very short story) that Weir has a good grasp of the girl's personality and voice. I'd love to see him explore more of this concept, maybe turn it into a series of interconnected short stories or even a novel.
Brenda A
Sep 04, 2015 rated it liked it
I love these. They're fun little short stories that always have a twist at the end. In this case, it's a girl who has a super power. She can go anywhere, even places she isn't technically allowed--as long as she acts normal.

Fun, easy, twisty enough even if you see where it's going fairly early on
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
Going to go with a 3.5 for this one. I really, really love this idea. A friend stated that she would like to see this fleshed out and made into a novella or even full length novel - I'd gladly read it. Very interesting idea. I started to see the twist coming towards the end, but it still made me smirk when I got to it. Worth a read.
brea
I would really love to see this teased out some more and turned into a full length novel. I think this has some real potential.
Victoria
Dec 29, 2014 rated it liked it
A good little short story. Very enjoyable.
bookaholic_kim
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
a very intriguing read indeed. The details are quite vague that i want more of it. It seems like a summary of a novel and I really want to read it if ever there is one.
Yedhu
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is wonderful! Andy Weir proves science-fiction and fantasies can be as short as a page and still be thrilling! I loved the plot and the conversation!
Danyel
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: shorts
Andy Weir sure likes a twist ending. Some are much more successful then others. For this one, i liked the pace of the story and i really wanted to know what her super power was.
Tara
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fun read found online...only takes 3 minutes but it's enjoyable. Perfect reading before bedtime or during a quick cup of coffee.
Bara
Dec 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: english-original
That sounds like a start to a hilarious superhero thriller parody series.
However I would like to see more of the guy's thoughts to see if he really takes it in stride and how persuasive the girl really is. Because the man doesn't look like simply charmed but more like a dimwitted guy.
Jessica
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A free short story available on Andy Weir's website.

This is so interesting! I definitely recommend this one. And like most of his short stories, I really wish it was a full novel instead of a short story. But then I guess we would miss out on the twist endings.
Guguk
Apr 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Gwahahaa~ while reading I keep thinking maybe this is about (view spoiler)
But it turns out to be another twist~ (>^)
Gina Gallo
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-2015, novellas
This was neat. Four stars, not five, because I just didn't like her. However, excellent ending.
Chelsea
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is a really interesting idea. I'd like to read a full story on this ability.
Mayank Agarwal
Dec 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-story
Another excellent short story. Now only if Andy Weir give's us short tales of interesting places and events witness by the girl.
Sandeep
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Vow! final realization at the end of story will hit u hard
Frau Zentner
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shortstories
well I mean it's a bit predictable, but still so funny :D
Jurij Fedorov
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wrote a screenplay version of this story. So obviously I do like it. I think the concept is really strong and that you can do a lot of things with it. We just kinda learn about the concept but in reality you can make a whole movie out of this. A coming of age story and then a story about her adult life.

Let's hope some director picks up my screenplay version and films it. I think it will look really good on screen.
Jo Terry
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
As with every other Andy Weir short story, you start off feeling a little confused, a little curious when you pick it up. It is always when you've reached the end, gasping 'OMG' in your head, when you remember, "Of course, this is an Andy Weir work. It always ends with the least expected twist."

• A Death
  • Other People
  • All Summer in a Day
  • The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate
  • They're Made Out of Meat
  • Auberon: An Expanse Novella
  • Fireflies
  • Apex Magazine Issue 50
  • Compulsory (The Murderbot Diaries, #0.5)
  • Sredni Vashtar
  • The President's Brain is Missing
  • İnsan Nedir?
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Communication (with featured article “The Necessary Art of Persuasion,” by Jay A. Conger)
  • Piç
  • Değirmen
  • Management Tips: From Harvard Business Review
  • Adjustment Team
ANDY WEIR built a career as a software engineer until the success of his first published novel, THE MARTIAN, allowed him to live out his dream of writing fulltime. He is a lifelong space nerd and a devoted hobbyist of subjects such as relativistic physics, orbital mechanics, and the history of manned spaceflight. He also mixes a mean cocktail. He lives in California. Andy’s next book, ARTEMIS, is ...more