Start by marking “Sartre for Beginners” as Want to Read:
Sartre for Beginners

Sartre for Beginners (Writers & Readers Documentary Comic Book)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  181 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Sartre For Beginners is an accessible yet sophisticated introduction to the life and works of the famous French philosopher, Jean Paul Sartre. Sartre was a member of the French underground during World War II, a novelist, a playwright, and a major influence in French political and intellectual life.

The book opens with a biographical section, introducing the significant ev
Paperback, Trade Paperback, 156 pages
Published January 1st 2001 by Writers & Readers Publishing (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Sartre for Beginners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sartre for Beginners

Supreeth
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Don't be fooled by its modest sounding title. It is for beginners all right, but one needs a bit of patience to gain even a rudimentary understanding of some concepts like bad faith or phenomenological existentialism.
After reading the same page for about six or seven times, I finally thought I got what bad faith was. And then, I came across this paragraph:
"Sincerity", Sartre claims, "is the antithesis of bad faith." So it would seem that striving for sincerity is "good faith," but this is not t
M. Fatih Yegul
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reading core philosophy is not an easy thing to do. I enjoyed the illustrations and simplified way of presenting a complicated philosophy such as Sartre's. I'd say it still difficult to grasp it quickly.
John Kaufmann
Mar 01, 2015 rated it liked it
It didn't seem right to give this book 4 stars, being a cartoon format survey of a major philosopher, so I gave it only three stars. But it did do a very good job of explaining Sartre's philosophy(ies) in simple, understandable language. I have always had a bent toward existentialism and tried to read some Sartre over the years, but aside from his plays ("No Exit" and "The Flies") I found his work too ponderous ("Being and Nothingness" and "Search for a Method"). So when I saw this book on the l ...more
Kim
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: work
I took this book out for my oldest grandson, who wants to be a philosopher. When he left it on my desk to return the next day (it's a quick read), I decided to keep it a little longer to read myself. Here is what I learned:
1) I do not want to be a philosopher
2) The contextual part of who Sartre was, his place in history, and his contemporaries was interesting
3) The philosophy section mostly left me shaking my head.
4) My favorite passage (p.77) talks about the many meanings that Abraham had to ch
Ian
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pretty good explanation of Sartre's complicated branch of existentialism. Unfortunately it's meaningless.
Jimmy
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
A nice review book.

Life Facts: His mother was a first cousin of Albert Schweitzer. His father died when he was a year old, so his mother lavished all her attention on him. But his grandfather and later stepfather were stern influences. He was only 5 feet 3 inches tall. He had a strabismus or wandering eye. He met Simon de Beauvoir, and they became companions until his death: they never married or lived together, had other lovers, and deeply each other's works. Ashes buried next to each other in
Brad
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
For anyone intimidated by, or tired of, the overcomplexity of modern philosophical wiritng, intro books like this can serve as a good intro. This particular book does a great job of introducing it's readers to this basic ideas behind Sartre's thought and delves into some of his more famous writings. The illustrations provide clarity on basic concepts, but, as with any intro book, some details get lost in the vaguery. This book is a good place to start with Sartre, but will leave you needed a mor ...more
Emily Boerner
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
BUT what is the definition of existentialism??!¥£€€<~~. Haha! A great refresher of the twisted minds who had the time to pontificate the meaning of life. THIS was a great departure from my daily existence! Loved it... Philosophy 101 without the classroom.
Nativeabuse
Aug 27, 2012 rated it liked it
One of the not so great entries in the for beginners series. It really didn't aid in my understanding of Sartre or existentialism at all and I really couldn't say that I got much of anything out of the experience.

A waste of time for the most part.
Donald Scarinci
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love all of the books in the "for beginners" series.
Michelle
Apr 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's been about 20 years since I read this the first time. I'd forgotten both how much I like Sartre and that I am a bit of an existentialist. You'd think you'd remember something like that.
Marie-pier
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
cartoon et philosophie sur buck de bière, quoi de mieux!
Hollowman
Aug 11, 2016
Kimberly Be
Nov 13, 2011
F.  DS
rated it did not like it
Sep 05, 2013
  • Foucault for Beginners
  • Introducing Baudrillard
  • Introducing Hegel
  • The Last Detective Alive
  • Knowledge of Language: Its Nature, Origins and Use (Convergence)
  • Between Existentialism and Marxism
  • The Art of the Metaobject Protocol
  • Schaum's Outline of Linear Algebra
  • PEN/O. Henry Prize Stories 2010
  • Database in Depth: Relational Theory for Practitioners

Writers & Readers Documentary Comic Book (1 - 10 of 108 books)
  • Cuba para principiantes