Start by marking “Waiting for the Flood” as Want to Read:
Waiting for the Flood

Waiting for the Flood

(Spires Universe)

People come as well as go.

Twelve years ago, Edwin Tully came to Oxford and fell in love with a boy named Marius. He was brilliant. An artist. It was going to be forever.

Two years ago, it ended.

Now Edwin lives alone in the house they used to share. He tends to damaged books and faded memories, trying to a build a future from the fragments of the past.

Then the weather turns,
ebook, 1 edition, 106 pages
Published February 23rd 2015 by Riptide Publishing (first published February 21st 2015)

Baba
2.5 stars. Review posted February 27, 2015

photo oie_a6SZMxvQMDGD_zpsuadn2w1q.gif
 photo oie_zEIMUerWjZyS_zps17oewuyp.gif

Me before reading Waiting for the Flood
I couldn't even make it past the sample of Glitterland. Yet every author deserves a second chance. That's why I'll be giving this one a try.

Me after reading Waiting for the Flood
My motto: Waiting for the story to be over. It just happens that a story won't read itself, so I had to bite the bullet and read it myself. Although if it had been a full-length novel I would have DNFd the book.

I tried. I really did and mana
Julio Genao
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novella, loved
oh.

that was my thought when i finished—"oh."

because formulaic genre convention teaches you, as a reader of romance, to expect certain things, and to take them for granted, because that's how it's always been done in the past, to achieve the end we all, ostensibly, crave.

so when you read a thing that gets you to that end by some means you didn't expect, you go:

"oh. oh!"

and so i did.

an imperfect, terribly true, and gorgeously subversive novella of surpassing ambience.

that's what this is.

and as so
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I really struggled with this one, and I think I have to face up to a hard truth that I've been denying for some time:

Maybe Alexis Hall isn't the writer for me.

It really pains me to admit that likely reality because I loved Glitterland, but the three books of his that I read after Glitterland have all been misses for me. This one is no exception.

I liked the idea of this book: A lonely, geeky stutterer finding love and a connection again after his last long-term relationship failed. I have a weak
Alexis Hall
May 24, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Since I write all over the map I recommend checking out the extensive tags on the Riptide Publishing page. But this one is a novella, Spires series, contemporary setting, m/m (both cis), HFN, fade-to-black sex, but romanticness and kissing and some disrobing. No particular trigger warnings.

Probably my quietest book, but it meant a lot to me in the writing.

And also now available on Audio via Audible UK and Audible US and probably also iTunes and shit like that.

The, uh, question I get asked the mo
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“Life is so full of rough edges – small tasks and expectations that scratch you bloody and remind you that you’re naked and alone.”

I held off on reading anything by Alexis Hall for a loooooong time. No offense to all of you superfans, but sometimes you get really rabid over REALLY shitty authors. When I saw Waiting for the Flood available on NetGalley I figured, what the hell . . . and guess what????

Houston commercial photography

Poor me a big ol’ tumbler of that
Lisa *-* GiViNg It To YoU * LoCk StOcK & TwO SmOkiNg BaRrELs
Just A Smidge under 4 Stars

Quintessentially Very British

I smiled at him, wondering if it was acceptable practice in suburban Oxford to climb a man like rampant honeysuckle.

Edwin Tully spends fairly much most of his time in solitude, in the house he shared with his ex-partner Marius.

Two years have passed, but some memories are still hard to forget.

When bad weather hits, salvation comes in the form of a very unlikely character Adam Dacre from the Environment Agency.

Everybody else I know is
Duchess Nicole
I just love this author's voice. I love that his characters are so imperfect, and in fact tend to have some weighty problems. They are human. They're not all drop dead gorgeous with brilliant white smiles and they don't walk around leaving a trail of broken hearts. They're just real.

I think what I love most about Alexis Hall (this being only the second book I've read by him) is how easy it is to fall in love with the love interest in his books. When I first "met" Adam, I couldn't help but pictur
Lois Bujold
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: readers interested in a bite-sized m/m contemporary romance
Recommended to Lois by: found at random on Amazon "others who bought that bought these" list.
Goodness, I enjoyed this, mm (also m/m), novella I think. Read in part of an evening, and the story was well matched to its length.

A short contemporary romance between a book conservator and an engineer (yay, my fave) in an Oxford winter flood. The flood provided the necessary mild menace to get our blokes together, man against nature, so no need for villains. Edwin, the narrator-protagonist (and rather the uke of the pairing, to import terminology from another medium) was written with a fine vo
Dia
4,5 rounded to 5 stars

photo Flood.gif
Another deep and soul wrenching story by Alexis Hall.

There is no secret that I am absolutely in love with this author's writing style. His lyrism made me enjoy each and every book written by him. He has an amazing talent! He makes you live the character's story, be in his mind and get to experience his happiness or sorrow to the fullest!

This book was mostly sad because it was about letting go of the past, accepting it and moving on. It was about learning to heal and trus
Mel
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing

First:
Squeeeeeeeee :-) OMGOMGOMG THIS WAS SO PERFECT AND AMAZING AND I JUST LOVE ALEXIS’S BOOKS
I’m trying a new approach here and hope that after this short moment of fan-girling, I can speak rationally about this wonderful book ;-)

Serious mode is on now:
Do you know why Alexis is my favourite author? Because he—like no one else I know—is so versatile in what he writes, but is amazing in all of it. To quote Elena here: His stories may be different but you always know they are his. He can write Co
Nazanin
May 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
2 Stars

DNF @ 22%

I didn't like the writing!
Kaje Harper
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a quiet, contemplative book about a man who has cut himself off from life. Edwin had thought he and his boyfriend Marius were building a lifetime together, while Marius was slowly falling out of love. They ended two years ago, not with a bang but with a whimper, leaving Edwin alone with the obscure old books he restores in the house they bought together. Edwin hasn't been able to move on. After two years, his lost relationship still dominates his thoughts and moods. But when an impending ...more
Sheziss
First of all, this was a very believable story, it being so short, and that is amazing.

There were sentences that really nailed it for me.

This is the story of my life: standing on the edges of things and worrying, when I'm supposed to just walk through them.

It’s hard to like someone when they care more about how they come across than making you feel comfortable.

“Sometimes I even get to see the sun shining on it.”

“In England? Are you s-sure?”

My problem is the style in it’s written. I have th
Mare SLiTsReaD Reviews
Oh Alexis Hall does it again.
This book was sublime, it was vivid.
The words. My god I highlighted so many words!!!

Poignant and deep.

People leave and people stay.

Gah made my heart hurt and burst and hurt and burst

Loved it

Mare~Slitsread
Tina
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: just-awesome, romance

4,5 stars

Waiting for the Flood is a quiet and beautiful story of a man and his fear of loss, a story of healing and acceptance. A tender story of a man who is struggling to find back into his life after years of loneliness and sadness, a glimpse into a relationship that is starting to blossom, sweet and tender.

This engaging story is about letting go the past and letting it rain until the worst of the flood is over… until the sun comes out again.

I doesn’t always has to be epic or dramatic… some
Elena
4.5 stars rounded up.
Beautiful, lyrical and magical!

Let's be honest here... Although I've got a few of Alexis Hall's books on my TBR (and on my computer for that matter), Waiting for the Flood was actually the first I've read. And boy, was it gooooood!!!

I absolutely loved the writing style! And I'm definitely going to read other books by this Author. If they're similar, then Mr. Hall will get to my "must-read authors" list, and fast!

I loved the slow burn, I loved the imperfections of the MCs,
Vanessa North
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This quiet little story is the story of a man who finds the self he lost when his longtime partner left him.

It's more a story of discovery than of love--of the way a setting and a circumstance can close a person off, or open them up again.

quiet. thoughtful. lovely.
Lena♥Ribka

2,5 stars.

Since Glitterland I was longingly waiting for a book from this author that I could like if not more, if not the same, but at least close to my liking of his début novel(though liking in this case is a huge understatement). And Waiting for the Flood seemed to be able to fulfil my high expectations.

I wanted really BADLY to like it. But...
It looked really promising to me at the beginning,

but all my enthusiasm faded away toward the end.

The characters...I wasn't convinced that Adam and Ed
Karen Wellsbury
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I sometimes feel that to get the feeling of romance in a book an author has to write a big dramatic explosion, an upset followed by a declaration of love. While this works really well at times, sometimes I want to read something that make me glow inside from contented warmth.
That was this book.
Edwin is one of the most British of all characters that I have read about, self depreciating and stuttery -his life defined by a relationship that didn't work out. As a result he is melancholy and his clos
*P*u*r*p*l*e* Masochist
~Arc provided by the Riptide Publishing via Netgalley in exchange for honest review~

"How had I forgotten? How had I become so careless, so cruel, so locked inside my own uncertainties? I had allowed hurt to gain such ascendancy over me. Given it so much power. But I had come, at last, in the middle of a flood, to some fresher, deeper truth which was simply this: love is stronger than grief."

Alexis Hall certainly has a way with words, making it so easy for me to fall in love with his stories.
Lenore
So.

Life is so full of rough edges—small tasks and expectations that scratch you bloody and remind you that you're naked and alone.

I knew how to make someone feel cherished and seen and listened to—everything I had myself always so desperately wanted and been afraid I might never have because I was so used to being overlooked.

People make choices, and sometimes they just l
.Lili.
Dec 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
 photo image.jpg1_zpsruhcuota.jpg

This book was kind of "eh" for me. Although the writing had a quiet beauty to it, I had a difficult time with the relationship development between the two main characters. When we meet Edwin he still has not moved on from his previous relationship- and it's all he talks about- non-stop. I found being in his head very depressing and tiring. I did like Adam, but I didn't find his attraction nor feelings toward Edwin believable. Sometimes insta-love works for me and sometimes it doesn't, unfortunat
Barbara
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, netgalley
#Arc provided by Riptide Publishing via Netgalley in exchange for honest review#

A story about putting the past firmly in the past, overcome a lost love, accepting new love in a melancholy perspective just like the rain makes me fell.

It's a very British read, written in a sweet charming way, but I wanted a little more interaction between Edwin and Adam.

This is a good rainy day read.
Cristina
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, lgbtq, m-m, queer
This is the second book I've read in Alexis Hall's Spires series (the first one being my adored For Real ) and I've found it delightful, romantic and with an undertrack of melancholia that rounded things up giving them weight and substance.

Edwin Tully works as a book conservationist in Oxford's Bodleian Library and lives a small, semi-isolated life since the break-up with his long-term partner Marius. When, however, his home is threatened by a flood, he meets Adam Dacre, an environmental engi
Maya
Dec 12, 2014 rated it really liked it

A tender and beautiful story of a man and his fear of loss.

Edwin restores damaged books but can’t heal his broken heart. Adam wants to save the world but can’t stop the flood. When they meet there’s genuine kindness, flirting, freckles, blushing, and jokes. And the fear slowly melts away.

I loved that the house and all its rooms were Edwin and all his memories, and that once the sofa was moved and the carpet was peeled there was room for new memories.

I loved that Edwin found the words and set
☆ Todd
Jan 08, 2015 rated it liked it
The premise of this one is that Edwin, a heartbroken introvert with a speech impediment, lives on a floodplain in the UK, and the waters are rising.

In his search for sandbags for himself and his elderly, widow neighbor, he meets Adam, who works for the Environment Agency and is helping the neighborhood control the flood damage.

The beginning of the book felt a bit strange to me. The flow felt a bit odd because every few pages of $1 words, there would be this strange $20 word plopped onto the page
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
3.5

Alexis Hall's writing simply works for me. Whether it is steampunk craziness with unapologetic language (my favourite so far) or contemporary romance with one of the loveliest characters I've read about, it simply works. I liked Glitterland, but he completely won me over with Prosperity.
Recently I've noticed an author whose writing everyone seems to love. I tried a couple of pages, but the language is simply too flowery and pretentious for my taste. Some see similar issues with Alexis Hall's
Denise H.
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**** This is a charming, quiet, very British, sweet M/M romance. ****
Edwin is a geeky book restorer who is still reeling from his break up two years ago. He's insecure because he stutters, but trying to get on with life.

Alone in his home, he needs to prepare for the coming flood. Red-headed Adam is an engineer working to control the flood and help people be ready to protect their property. Adam and Edwin meet and Edwin is oblivious to Adam's flirting.
This engaging story is funny, heartwarmin
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Waiting for the Flood is a sparkling GEM of a book. A story I find myself already revisiting just a couple of days after finishing it. Everything from the pace, words, characters, and emotion spoke right to me. Fit right inside my world and heart.

A small, English neighborhood preparing for a flood is where we meet two of the sweetest men on record. Edwin is trying to protect his home from the water. Sealing and walling up his home, but Edwin’s heart has been shut away and protected from hurt an
Ariana
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq
Have I ever mentioned how much I love Alexis Hall? I probably have every time I review one of his books and salivate about the way he turns words into poetry and tears open depths of feelings with mere vocabulary. Sigh. Just give me a moment to fangirl, please.

Language is a beautiful thing, something that tugs at your imagination, inspires you and defines us as people (sorry for getting philosophical here), but I DO very much FEEL that. Alexis Hall dips into this very theme - because Edwin has g
The Backlot Gay B...: Waiting for the Flood, by Alexis Hall 1 14 Aug 16, 2015 12:26PM
  • Misfits (Urban Soul, #1)
  • Payoff (Market Garden, #6)
  • The Subs Club (The Subs Club, #1)
  • Devil at the Crossroads
  • The Parting Glass (In a Dark Wood, #2)
  • Lying with Scorpions (Memory of Scorpions #2)
  • Blessed Isle
  • Patchwork Paradise
  • It's All Geek to Me
  • Double Up (Lake Lovelace, #1)
  • Think of England (Think of England, #1)
  • Where There's Smoke (Panopolis, #1)
  • Straight Shooter (Rear Entrance Video, #3)
  • Second Helpings
  • Hell on Wheels (Bluewater Bay #3)
  • There's Something About Ari (Bluewater Bay, #2)
  • Once Upon A Haunted Moor (Tyack & Frayne, #1)
  • Bad Idea (Itch #1)
Alexis Hall was born in the early 1980s and still thinks the 21st century is the future. To this day, he feels cheated that he lived through a fin de siècle but inexplicably failed to drink a single glass of absinthe, dance with a single courtesan, or stay in a single garret. He did the Oxbridge thing sometime in the 2000s and failed to learn anything of substance. He has had many jobs, including ...more

Spires Universe (4 books)
  • Glitterland (Glitterland, #1)
  • For Real
  • Pansies (Spires Universe)
“I have a sort of . . . thing, I suppose, for certain words. They spark inside me, somehow, turning me to touchpaper, but I don't know what they are until someone says them.” 10 likes
“Life is so full of rough edges - small tasks and expectations that scratch you bloody and remind you that you're naked and alone.” 8 likes