Start by marking “The Wager (Playing Games, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Wager (Playing Games, #0.5)

The Wager

(Playing Games 0.5)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  88 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
You’d think the masks would come off once the ball drops at the New Year’s masquerade but, tossing caution to the wind, Liam and Maci decide to have a bit of fun by continuing to keep their faces hidden from each other during a night full of games and passion.

Get to know these two game-playing lovers before they even know each other in The Wager, a prequel to the new novel
Published December 15th 2014 (first published December 11th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Wager, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wager

Michael Loring
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Wager is a contemporary romance novella, and an optional read in Author Rene Folsom’s new Playing Games series. It gives the backstory to the first in her new book series, Game Changer.

At a New Years Eve party, Maci, a covert science fiction author dressed as Marvel’s Black Cat, meets Liam, the lead developer at nZone Games cosplaying The Phantom of the Opera. Only neither know who the other is. In the midst of a wonderful night together, they decide to place a wager. Whoever wins in a game
Katie Harder-schauer
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Rene Folsom just ripped my heart out and skipped away with it laughing. Like Regina in Once Upon a Time (yes the t.v. show) Folsom probably has an entire wall of hearts she has stolen from unsuspecting victims. I fear what she is going to do to my heart in the next book in the series, but I find myself unable to resist the pull to read it anyway.

First of all, I love these characters. Science fiction writing gaming chick and science fiction loving game developer is a match made in heaven. I also
Kim
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Wager is a really great prequel to the Game Changer. It goes in depth into Liam and Maci’s first encounter. The gamer world was exceptionally represented without being stereotypical. Liam is a superstar in the gamer world, but he’s mature and has tons of responsibilities. Maci is a well known but reclusive author. And she doesn’t want anyone to find out who she is. Liam and Maci make a wager and manage have a night together without finding out who the other is. How do they go forward? While ...more
Nicole
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Rene Folsom takes it up a notch with this book. She writes an amazing story that is easy to get lost in. Being a bit of a nerd myself, I found myself loving the comic book characters and video game references. And of course, Rene added in my all time favorite character Phantom from Phantom of the Opera.

Maci and Liam are both people who like to be home and away from everyone. They both have secrets that they don't want anyone to know. But, a masquerade New Years party brings the two of them toge
Tonya
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am so freaking happy with this short story about the first time Liam and Maci, sort of, meet.

They don't know each other's names, or what they look like. They meet at a New Year's masquerade party and hit it off right away.

Liam is the Phantom of the Opera and Maci is the Black Cat, complete with masks. They decide to make a wager and play a video game...Names or sex?

I love both of these characters. This is a great short read and I can't wait to have more books about them!
Claire Thake
The Wager is a novella, telling the back story to the new series by Rene Folsom. Game Changer. Firstly I would like to recommend that you read Game Changer before reading this, otherwise you will find out a part of the plot in Game Changer.

This, in usual Rene style is fantastic, and can be read in one sitting. It truly cannot be put down once you start! Maci and Liam are amazing characters, you cant help but love them!
Natalie
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Liam and Maci meet at a New Year's masquerade party. The attraction is mutual right off the back and the conversation flows easily.

After a kiss and a desire that is burning more than they thought possible, Maci wants to play a video game with Liam. The winner gets what they want that night.

A name revealed or Sex? Which one is wishing for which? Read on to find out..... ;)

The ending had me wanting more! I immediately went to Amazon and bought Game Changer!!!
Andrea Rossi
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet another good book from Rene Folsom! This story introduces Liam and Maci and shows how they met. It's hot & irresistible and I love the banter between them. I can't wait to see what is next for these two!
Ashley
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was wonderful! I feel like I could be great friends with Maci!! I love the whole background between Maci and Liam and wish Maci would have stayed. But of course then we wouldn't have another great series by Rene Folsom! Even more excited for Game Changer :)
Colleen Everly
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What an awesome prequel to a series. It did everything right, it got me sucked into the story and made me want to read more. I loved how they connected without knowing who the other was.I can't wait to read more of this story and am glad I have book one.
K.K.
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Geeky Romance... anyone who is a hardcore game-player & Reader will love this!!
Amber J.
sassy and sexy..love the idea of a one night stand without names and wearing masks. very kinky and mysterious! great start to a series!
April
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this novella. I can't wait to read The Game Changer to see what will happen between Maci and Liam!
Tamye Whitener
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: contemporary, erotica
Wow! Hot, yet fun and sexy.

I thoroughly enjoyed this sexy romp, with a bit of mystery, a lot of yummy loving, some gaming and a win, win, wager.

Maci and Liam are fun characters you want to get to know while rooting for them to make more of their time together. I can't wait to read the next book in this series.
Novel Grounds
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
TheWager
5 Stars|Amazon|Goodreads
This novella is the prequel story to Game Changer, the first novel in the Playing Games series. I read this following my read of Game Changer, but I would recommend reading it before. I feel like that way you have one leg up on the characters and that is always fun.

This novella follows a New Year's Eve party in which our two main character have a chance encounter that you don't want to miss. This novella really embodies the title of the series, "Playing Games". Once Ma
Ashley Ehlers
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it

Was originally posted on Paranormal Sisters: http://paranormalsisters.blogspot.com...

I actually feel like you should read this one first before reading the first book, Game Changer, in the series. The flow of the stories would be stronger and you'd be able to connect even more to the characters! I thought this night brought a bit of mystery to Game Changer but honestly it doesn't because you find out quickly what happened that night so I wished I read this one first. I think it would have made G
Victoria Debono
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Wager
This prequel was fun, sexy and totally what I expected from Folsom. I can't wait to know more about where this Wager will go in the novel the Game Changer. They played the game, there was a winner and a loser and they paid up, it was a sexy . I don't want to give any spoilers however I can't wait to find out what the sexy Phantom and Black Cat get up to when they meet again. I look forward to reading Game Changer and the next books in the Playing Games Series.
Manahil
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love love love it!!!! First of all, I want Than to be my best friend. I love Liam and Maci both as characters and people. They are such loveable characters and I am very eager for them to continue on their journey with each other. Maci's personality is the kind I wish I had and Liam's is the kind I wish every guy had!!! Overall, I really enjoyed the prequel, and I'm excited for the first book in the series!
Andrea Rossi
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stefanie
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A quick fire knockout for more then just you gamers. This was a short story but brought about such mystery and passion you will want more long after you are finished reading. It brings you in and keeps you excited to the very end.
MLOW
Jill
May 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Paranormal Anthology with a Twist
  • Celine (The Night Touched Chronicles, #1)
  • The Memory Thief
  • Forsaken (Dylan Hart Odyssey of the Occult, #4)
  • Pick Me (Reality TV Romance #1)
  • The Bootleg Billionaire: Reawakening
  • Starblind (Starblind, #1)
  • Consumed (The Hunger #2)
  • Bare Assets
  • A Seductive Deal (The Billionaire's Bet, #1)
  • Immortal Promise (Immortal Heart, #3)
  • Love, Lies, and Hocus Pocus: Beginnings (The Lily Singer Adventures, #1)
  • Dehumanized
  • The Witch, the Wolf and the Vampire, Book 3 (The Witch, The Wolf and The Vampire, #3)
  • Phoenix Bar (Steel Demons MC, #1)
  • Saving Mrs. Claus (An Apocalyptic Fairytale)
  • Suzy's Case
  • Sweet Temptations: The Babysitter
GET A FREE BOOK >> www.renefolsom.com/newsletter

Rene Folsom, author of contemporary and paranormal, lives in Florida with her husband and three kids. She has officially diagnosed herself with creative ADD and often has a million and one writing projects going at once. In addition to writing, she is also a graphic artist who enjoys creating custom book covers for indie authors. She is definit

Playing Games (2 books)
  • Game Changer (Playing Games, #1)
  • Game On (Playing Games, #2)