Jump to ratings and reviews
You’d think the masks would come off once the ball drops at the New Year’s masquerade but, tossing caution to the wind, Liam and Maci decide to have a bit of fun by continuing to keep their faces hidden from each other during a night full of games and passion.

Get to know these two game-playing lovers before they even know each other in The Wager, a prequel to the new novel in the Playing Games series, Game Changer.

Note: This contemporary romance novella is an optional read in the Playing Games series and contains adult situations meant for ages 18+.

57 pages, ebook

First published December 11, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Rene Folsom

69 books403 followers
GET A FREE BOOK >> www.renefolsom.com/newsletter

Rene Folsom, author of contemporary and paranormal, lives in Florida with her husband and three kids. She has officially diagnosed herself with creative ADD and often has a million and one writing projects going at once. In addition to writing, she is also a graphic artist who enjoys creating custom book covers for indie authors. She is definitely an artist at heart and would love nothing more than to be elbow deep in clay during her waking hours.

Rene believes that all fiction is based on some form of reality—otherwise we would never have the inspiration or knowledge to dream up the realistic situations we portray with our words. She is proud to say that her personal experiences have been inspirational, though perhaps not always identical to that of her fictional characters. Where reality and fantasy diverge, however, must remain her little secret…

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
7 (6%)
1 star
1 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 22 of 22 reviews
Profile Image for Michael Loring.
Author 15 books40 followers
December 17, 2014
The Wager is a contemporary romance novella, and an optional read in Author Rene Folsom’s new Playing Games series. It gives the backstory to the first in her new book series, Game Changer.

At a New Years Eve party, Maci, a covert science fiction author dressed as Marvel’s Black Cat, meets Liam, the lead developer at nZone Games cosplaying The Phantom of the Opera. Only neither know who the other is. In the midst of a wonderful night together, they decide to place a wager. Whoever wins in a game of Super Smash Bros. gets whatever they want, and what both of them want is each other – only in different ways.

That’s as far as I can go with describing what happens in the story. If you want to know what happens, then you’re gonna have to read this. And by the Almighty, you’re gonna want to read this novella!

Rene Folsom once again flexes her writing muscles with this amazing story. It’s hard to make something so short so awesome, but doing that is Rene’s forte. She blends comedy, romance, video gaming, and cosplaying into a perfect mix that’s titled The Wager. As a hopeless romantic gamer who likes to tell a joke, this was the perfect piece of fiction for me, and for any and everybody like me
Profile Image for Katie Harder-schauer.
767 reviews48 followers
December 18, 2014
Rene Folsom just ripped my heart out and skipped away with it laughing. Like Regina in Once Upon a Time (yes the t.v. show) Folsom probably has an entire wall of hearts she has stolen from unsuspecting victims. I fear what she is going to do to my heart in the next book in the series, but I find myself unable to resist the pull to read it anyway.

First of all, I love these characters. Science fiction writing gaming chick and science fiction loving game developer is a match made in heaven. I also personally found them both really relatable, like I'm pretty sure I could be best friends with both of them, we'd be BFF's, except we'd never actually use that terminology for it, and because I just did in a non-sarcastic way, they will no longer even consider being friends with me.

This story is told in alternating dual POV, which I usually really enjoy, and this book was no different. I like being able to see both sides of the story as it progresses, especially in cases like this one where the story continues through the POV changes, rather than the POV change resulting in a repeat of what we just read. This dual POV really helped me get inside each characters head.

Overall I give this story 6 out of 5 stars because it made me break my husband's "no book buying in December" rule. I seriously don't even have time to read Game Changer yet, but I have it on my Kindle now. This story equals awesome.
Profile Image for Kim.
1,056 reviews9 followers
December 15, 2014
The Wager is a really great prequel to the Game Changer. It goes in depth into Liam and Maci’s first encounter. The gamer world was exceptionally represented without being stereotypical. Liam is a superstar in the gamer world, but he’s mature and has tons of responsibilities. Maci is a well known but reclusive author. And she doesn’t want anyone to find out who she is. Liam and Maci make a wager and manage have a night together without finding out who the other is. How do they go forward? While this was a prequel and I was excited to start the next book, it wasn’t a cliff hanger and could be read on it’s own before or after the other books.
Profile Image for Nicole.
Author 32 books34 followers
December 17, 2014
Rene Folsom takes it up a notch with this book. She writes an amazing story that is easy to get lost in. Being a bit of a nerd myself, I found myself loving the comic book characters and video game references. And of course, Rene added in my all time favorite character Phantom from Phantom of the Opera.

Maci and Liam are both people who like to be home and away from everyone. They both have secrets that they don't want anyone to know. But, a masquerade New Years party brings the two of them together for a night they won't soon forget.
Profile Image for Claire Thake.
Author 2 books21 followers
December 29, 2014
The Wager is a novella, telling the back story to the new series by Rene Folsom. Game Changer. Firstly I would like to recommend that you read Game Changer before reading this, otherwise you will find out a part of the plot in Game Changer.

This, in usual Rene style is fantastic, and can be read in one sitting. It truly cannot be put down once you start! Maci and Liam are amazing characters, you cant help but love them!
Profile Image for Tonya.
1,960 reviews7 followers
December 15, 2014
I am so freaking happy with this short story about the first time Liam and Maci, sort of, meet.

They don't know each other's names, or what they look like. They meet at a New Year's masquerade party and hit it off right away.

Liam is the Phantom of the Opera and Maci is the Black Cat, complete with masks. They decide to make a wager and play a video game...Names or sex?

I love both of these characters. This is a great short read and I can't wait to have more books about them!
Profile Image for Natalie.
133 reviews1 follower
January 30, 2015
Liam and Maci meet at a New Year's masquerade party. The attraction is mutual right off the back and the conversation flows easily.

After a kiss and a desire that is burning more than they thought possible, Maci wants to play a video game with Liam. The winner gets what they want that night.

A name revealed or Sex? Which one is wishing for which? Read on to find out..... ;)

The ending had me wanting more! I immediately went to Amazon and bought Game Changer!!!
Profile Image for Ashley.
206 reviews
December 12, 2014
This was wonderful! I feel like I could be great friends with Maci!! I love the whole background between Maci and Liam and wish Maci would have stayed. But of course then we wouldn't have another great series by Rene Folsom! Even more excited for Game Changer :)
Profile Image for Colleen Everly.
374 reviews7 followers
December 19, 2014
What an awesome prequel to a series. It did everything right, it got me sucked into the story and made me want to read more. I loved how they connected without knowing who the other was.I can't wait to read more of this story and am glad I have book one.
Profile Image for Andrea Rossi.
23 reviews1 follower
January 14, 2015
Yet another good book from Rene Folsom! This story introduces Liam and Maci and shows how they met. It's hot & irresistible and I love the banter between them. I can't wait to see what is next for these two!
570 reviews1 follower
December 15, 2014
I loved this novella. I can't wait to read The Game Changer to see what will happen between Maci and Liam!
Profile Image for K.K..
635 reviews22 followers
December 23, 2014
Geeky Romance... anyone who is a hardcore game-player & Reader will love this!!
Profile Image for Amber J..
662 reviews21 followers
May 9, 2016
sassy and sexy..love the idea of a one night stand without names and wearing masks. very kinky and mysterious! great start to a series!
Profile Image for Tamye Whitener.
601 reviews15 followers
July 16, 2018
Wow! Hot, yet fun and sexy.

I thoroughly enjoyed this sexy romp, with a bit of mystery, a lot of yummy loving, some gaming and a win, win, wager.

Maci and Liam are fun characters you want to get to know while rooting for them to make more of their time together. I can't wait to read the next book in this series.
Profile Image for Novel Grounds.
1,518 reviews71 followers
October 3, 2015
TheWager
5 Stars|Amazon|Goodreads
This novella is the prequel story to Game Changer, the first novel in the Playing Games series. I read this following my read of Game Changer, but I would recommend reading it before. I feel like that way you have one leg up on the characters and that is always fun.

This novella follows a New Year's Eve party in which our two main character have a chance encounter that you don't want to miss. This novella really embodies the title of the series, "Playing Games". Once Maci and Liam meet at the masquerade party, the games begin. A wager is placed and the game is on. Both characters want to win, but in the end what they want might not be far off from what the other does. I know that is confusing, but I don't want to give anything away! *Grumbles*  This is a nice quick and enjoyable read.

The characters are fun and the writing is exquisite. Novellas are a creature of their own. Depending on the author they an either be enjoyable, or a flop. This is one of the cases of the enjoyable breed. I couldn't put it down, and by the end I was waiting in anticipation yet again for the second novel in this GREAT series!
Synopsis:

Get to know these two game-playing lovers before they even know each other in The Wager, a prequel to the new novel in the Playing Games series, Game Changer.

Profile Image for Diane Ehlers.
Author 5 books38 followers
March 26, 2015

Was originally posted on Paranormal Sisters: http://paranormalsisters.blogspot.com...

I actually feel like you should read this one first before reading the first book, Game Changer, in the series. The flow of the stories would be stronger and you'd be able to connect even more to the characters! I thought this night brought a bit of mystery to Game Changer but honestly it doesn't because you find out quickly what happened that night so I wished I read this one first. I think it would have made Game Changer that much more enjoyable.

I couldn't wait to jump into The Wager after finishing the first book in the series! Maci and Liam's story is cute! Maci's friend Sky invites her to a New Years party to get out of the house because she's one that would rather stay inside. She seems like the antisocial type however she has complete confidence and I absolutely loved that! Breaking the forms of stereotypes is a big part of this series giving this a fresh voice for me! So when the party begins Maci falls in lust with Liam's piercing blue eyes and after to getting to know each other, all but their names, she decides to have a little fun by making a bet on Super Smash Brothers.

Overall I feel like Mrs. Folsom could actually combine these two, I think it would make this even better! I don't really think there needs to be a prequel for Game Changer, I believe it could all be one story. It all just flows perfectly that I don't see why not. Other than that and how I felt during the sex scene some of the paragraphs needed to be rearranged, I truly enjoyed this! Even though I still have some questions that need to be answered, hopefully in book two.
Profile Image for Victoria Debono.
93 reviews5 followers
May 20, 2015
The Wager
This prequel was fun, sexy and totally what I expected from Folsom. I can't wait to know more about where this Wager will go in the novel the Game Changer. They played the game, there was a winner and a loser and they paid up, it was a sexy . I don't want to give any spoilers however I can't wait to find out what the sexy Phantom and Black Cat get up to when they meet again. I look forward to reading Game Changer and the next books in the Playing Games Series.
Profile Image for Manahil.
109 reviews22 followers
August 31, 2017
Love love love it!!!! First of all, I want Than to be my best friend. I love Liam and Maci both as characters and people. They are such loveable characters and I am very eager for them to continue on their journey with each other. Maci's personality is the kind I wish I had and Liam's is the kind I wish every guy had!!! Overall, I really enjoyed the prequel, and I'm excited for the first book in the series!
Profile Image for Stefanie.
59 reviews1 follower
March 31, 2015
A quick fire knockout for more then just you gamers. This was a short story but brought about such mystery and passion you will want more long after you are finished reading. It brings you in and keeps you excited to the very end.
Profile Image for Andrea Rossi.
74 reviews
May 26, 2015
Displaying 1 - 22 of 22 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.