Start by marking “Ad Astra” as Want to Read:
Ad Astra

Ad Astra

In Jack Campbell’s New York Times bestselling Lost Fleet series, Campbell’s hero Captain Black Jack Geary explores the furthest reaches of space. Here, Campbell explores what kinds of problems mankind might face as our horizons expand. The third in a series of collections of Campbell’s short stories includes some of Campbell’s favorite stories, and some of his earliest. A ...more
Published October 9th 2014 by Jabberwocky Literary Agency, Inc. (first published February 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Ad Astra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ad Astra

Start your review of Ad Astra
Jeff Yoak
I didn't realize this was a short story collection and it couldn't grab me on my road trip to Florida. It may catch me in the future.
A.J.
Mar 31, 2018 rated it liked it
A collection of half dozen stories previously published in various magazines. I particularly liked the authors introduction to each story - it’s interesting to learn what inspired the author.

Most of the stories are morality tales where good deeds are satisfyingly rewarded and vice versa. So they are less technology driven and more to do with human psychology. There is quite a bit of humor - for example “Kyrie Eleison” is an amusing allegory on how religious dogma can distort the underlying
Julio Biason
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, scifi
While short stories may not give a general sense of the whole -- 'cause they are, after all, short -- the stories here are very interesting, and very good sci-fi.

Honestly, it's really hard to give some indication of how the stories go without going into spoilers.

But, again, there are very good stories, some even touching, some discussing social issues (without being "in your face", like any good Star Trek episode).

And the narration is pretty good too. Easy to read, easy to keep going.
Lisa
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Nice little mix of stories. As with many anthologies, there were a few stories that I really loved (the first one and the one that was inspired by the Titanic...I cried) and there were a few stories that I was really meh about (ex: the book seller one that just didn't move me). So this gets rated in the middle, but it's more because some were 5s for me and some were 2s and such inbetween.
Shawn
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An extremely thoughtful collection of stories ranging from a Catch-22 style observation on absurdity of command to exercises in social breakdown/organization under different circumstances. I raced through and advise you to do the same!
Rob Green
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love Jack's stories and this was no exception.
Bill Bowne
May 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Some good stories, but the good ones were offset by some pretty mediocre ones.
Warren
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent collection

An interesting read, as well as seeing how the authors writing and story telling evolves. Some interesting dilemmas and conundrums.
Sam
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun collection of short stories
Richard
I enjoy Hemry's "Black Jack" series and I hope he provides more. These stories show his moral messages pretty clearly. Worth the read.
Joe Farhaven
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Masterful science fiction short stories
Keith
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Most of the stories are good. A couple of them were just annoying. Overall I liked the collection.
Dave
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Ad Astra was a fun collection of of short stories. I liked most of them.
brian andrews
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Analysis of the problems we may experience once we leap in to Space. From machines, light speed, relationships, people, technology and life experiences, Jack outlines his thoughts through fictional stories on the topics.
Some of these were his first foray into fiction stories, quite enjoyable being short and sharp.
Having read other books written by Jack - Lost Fleet series, you can see aspects of the stories in this book fleshed out in more details in the various series of novels.
I enjoyed
Rob Green
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A glimpse into Hemry's early works

I'm a big fan of Hemry's other writings - Lost Fleet, Stark's War, Paul Sinclair....and this addition did not disappoint! The many short stories are quite imaginative and thought-provoking, and the breezy pacing makes them eminently readable. Well done!
Paul,
Mar 03, 2016 rated it liked it
This set of short stories contains a lot of Campbell's early work. So it lacks some of the polish of his more mature work. There aren't any stories that really stood out as exceptional, however, there are some good stories in here.
Robert
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: x2014-15-season
One of the finest collections of Sci-fi shorts I've read in a long time - every single tale is entertaining and though provoking.
Keith Duane Reason
Great short story collection

I've always enjoyed Campbells novels and I wish each of these stories had been revisited and extended into novels or even series they were that good.
Jonathan Lin
Jul 31, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.
Dale (Aus)
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the collection of stories some which seem to date back to the first stories sold by the author. Nice collection and enjoable reading.
Jessica
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads-wins
This is one of the best sci-fi books I've read in a long time. Glad I gave this book a chance.
Jean Corbel
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
These short stories come from a master story teller. Some are really very good, some just above average, but as anthologies of success writers go, this definitily is worth reading.
Shane
Nov 27, 2019
Julia
May 19, 2019

• With Unclean Hands: An Andrea Cort Story
  • Warrior (Doppelganger, #1)
  • Salsa Nocturna: Stories (Bone Street Rumba #2.5)
  • Prime Meridian
  • Witch (Doppelganger, #2)
  • Sing the Four Quarters (Quarters #1)
  • Servant of the Underworld (Obsidian and Blood, #1)
  • The Bloodbound (Bloodbound, #1)
  • At Empire's Edge
  • February Thaw & Other Stories of Contemporary Fantasy
  • Drinking Midnight Wine
  • 化物語 1 (Bakemonogatari: Monster Tale Manga, #1)
  • Bakemonogatari, Part 1 (Bakemonogatari, #1, Part 1)
  • The Meek
  • DeathDay (Sauron, #1)
  • The Bloodforged (Bloodbound, #2)
  • A Price Too High (The Frontiers Saga: Part 2: Rogue Castes, #12)
  • The Fire's Stone
Jack Campbell is a pseudonym for American science fiction author John G. Hemry.

John G. Hemry is an American author of military science fiction novels. Drawing on his experience as a retired United States Navy officer, he has written the Stark's War and Paul Sinclair series.