Start by marking “It Takes a Spy... (Secrets and Seduction, #1)” as Want to Read:
It Takes a Spy... (Secrets and Seduction, #1)

Read Book

It Takes a Spy...

(Secrets and Seduction #1)

In 1851, Cecilia Paring has serious reservations about marrying her fiancé, Devin Montlake. Gone is the boy who could capture her heart with a word or a glance and in his place is a man who has made it clear that to be a proper barrister's wife, the exciting and impulsive Cecilia must change as well.

Although Devin Montlake loves his orderly life as a barrister, he's deter
Published November 1st 2014 by Flowers and Fullerton

To ask other readers questions about It Takes a Spy..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Takes a Spy...

Sissy's Romance Book Review

I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
'It Takes a Spy' by Sheridan Jeane is the first book in the "Secrets and Seduction" series. This is the story of Cecilia Paring and Devin Montlake.

Cecilia is engaged to Devin who has been a childhood friend. Now Devin is as a barrister who has plans to get a Judge. Cecilia has her doubts that she will be able to fit in with the other wives and also be the wife that she thinks Devin wants. To add to her doubts he has asked her to take behavior
Trish R.
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nice read..

I liked this story. A wrongly accused Devin and the hurried attempt to prove he’s innocent by his fiancée Cecilia and her fifteen year old sister Evangeline and himself. The theft happened at a ball so there was lots of suspects. The entire book happened overnight. The accusation, hiding in the trunk, the escape, the confrontation with one of the suspects and the real criminal caught.

There was a smidgen of sexual tension going on but the sex only took place in the last ch
Carra
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It Takes a Spy is a nice, quick read filled with intrigue and a bit of romance. The writing was clear and crisp, and the story moved along nicely-I was able to read this in one sitting of a couple of hours.

I really liked Cecelia and Devin's characters, they were so sweet together, both of them in love with the other yet both with their own doubts about what would happen after they wed. Cecelia is a wonderfully strong female character for that time period, as was her sister Evangeline
S.P. West
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the 1990's a young teenage girl with a romantic streak settled down to watch a TV programme by the BBC; that programme was Pride and Prejudice staring Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle. This young girl was catapulted in the world of regency romance and a love of all things Mr Darcy. As a consequence she went and bought Jane Austen's book. It was her first introduction to romantic fiction with strong Alpha male and fiery heroine and it left her with a lasting love of historical romances.
Jane
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This Victorian historical is suitable for all audiences. There is a love scene at the end but it's not particularly graphic. Basically, it's a whodunit. A wealthy British nobleman has decided to auction off the family jewels in order to finance his daughters' dowries and a move to Cannes in the hopes that the air will be better for his consumptive wife.
To draw attention to the auction, he throws a formal ball and invites everyone who is anyone.Before the evening is over, the jewels have be
Farrah
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick, enjoyable historical romance novella, It Takes a Spy was a fun read. With an engaging mystery and a sweet romance, this was a lovely read.

Cecilia was a lively heroine. Clever and compassionate, she was definitely likable. Devin was sweet, capable, and devoted to Cecilia above all else. I thought they were both wonderful character.

The romance was sweet. Cecilia and Devin already loved each other. Their adventures throughout the book reinforced their feelings for e
Lavinia
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
OMG I just finished reading this book and it was SO stinkin' CUTE! What a great story! I picked it up because I'd read another book by this author, and because it's a novella, not a full-length novel. I was looking for something to read on an airplane, so this was perfect. I loved the characters, and I loved the fact that even though they were in love, they saw each other for who they really were. I found this refreshing - there are too many stories out there about "perfect" people. Bleerg.
SB Morales
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great quick historical read. It was sweet and I enjoyed every moment of it. Jeane's writing was so amazing that I was transported into her world. I can't wait to read more from this author.
Tin
Sep 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This is a 3.5-star book for me.

* * *

Disclosure: I received a review copy of the book for this event. Thank you to Sheridan Jeane for the opportunity. Yes, this is an honest review.

* * *

One thing stood out as I read Sheridan Jeane's It Takes a Spy, and that the author understands what a good mystery is. The crime happens during a party at Mivart's Hotel: valuable jewelry set to be auctioned off the next day were stolen from the hotel's vaults and one of the pieces is found in/>Disclosure:
Mave
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It 's a historical fiction short but pleasant.
It takes place all in the space of one evening in London in 1851. Cecilia and Devin are engaged and will be married in a month. She has always been in love with him but now has doubts: he is a barrister and hopes to become a judge but she does not know how to behave and act like barrister's wife. Cecilia's parents have organized an auction with the jewels of her mother to buy a house in Cannes and to give a dowry to their daughters. But the jew
booksthrubifocals
Absorbing, light, romantic tale with a side of mystery!

Cecilia, 18, and Evangeline, 15 are at a turning point in their lives. Cecilia is soon to be wed to her childhood sweetheart, but has last minute qualms about their suitability. She is a free spirit while Devin is a straight laced barrister. He also has concerns that the social etiquette required by his profession will stifle her spirit. Evangeline is a very down to earth but curious and observant girl who frequently watches people and thei
Karyn
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
***I received a free copy of this book in return for an honest review***

This was a great “whodunit” mystery!

The story is set in the mid 1800’s, which I loved! Right off the bat we get to see the proper etiquette for young girls attending a ball. The two girls in this story are proper but also have a bit of a wild side that they keep secret from the adults. This gives the characters uniqueness and likability. I really fell in love with the sister’s boldness and tenacity especially kn
Rebecca Austin
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cecilia Paring is having doubts about her upcoming marriage to Devon Montlake. Although she once had a fiery love for him it has begun to decrease as he gets ready to become a barrister and adhere to all the rules that surround the position and lifestyle.

For Cecilia and her sister, Evangeline, the lifestyle they once knew has been reduced to having an auction to sell off their family jewels in hope to have enough money for each of their dowries.

Unfortunately someone else
Lauren Jones
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
She sensed that dep within him, a small war was waging, and in an effort to soothe him, she placed her palm on his chest, feeling the steady rhythm of his heart beneath it. She could see that his need to control and direct the world around him, including his fiancée, was battling with her demand that he respect her right to make her own decisions. “You need to trust me,” Cecilia said, her voice soft and soothing as she looked deep into his eyes. “You need to believe that I know my own mind, that ...more
Brenda
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Synopsis:

Although Devin Montlake loves his orderly life as a barrister, he's determined to follow his roadmap to achieve his goal of becoming a judge. His biggest obstacle seems to be co
Space Cowgirl
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
She💃💋 Knows What She Wants🐺🍆🌋
London, 1851. Adult Historical Romance.
Cecilia💃💋 is supposed to get married to Devin🐺🍆🌋, but her father, an Earl, is moving the family from London to Cannes, France, because her mother has consumption. In order to do that, he is selling all the family jewels and turning over their estate to a cousin. Cecilia💃💋 is upset and kind of spoiled, she wants money for her dowry to come from the sale. Her younger sister, Evangeline, will be moving with her parents.
Mary
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is romantic, dramatic, sweet and entertaining. Devin is reserved, proper and logical. Cecilia is bold, daring and determined. They've known each other since they were small, but a year after becoming engaged, each wonders if they really suit. They are complete opposites, but they complement each other so well. On the eve of Cecilia's family auctioning off their belongings to provide dowrys for both girls, and finance their move to Cannes, they get robbed. And Devin is accused of the crime. ...more
Deb Diem
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
It Takes a Spy...by Sheridan Jeane is a fast paced story and a fairly quick read. This would be a perfect choice for historical romance fans that have limited time for reading. Ms Jeane has crafted a well written book. This is my first book by this author and I am happy with my choice. Cecilia and Devin's story is loaded with drama, action, humor and sizzle along with a fun and lovable cast of characters. I enjoyed this book from cover to cover and look forward to reading more from Sheridan Jean ...more
Britt Westerman
Kristen Lewendon
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book continues my recent streak of heist stories. Though, rather than being the ‘good guys’ or the ‘bad guys’ Devin and Cecilia are somewhat caught in the middle when Cecilia steps up to prove Devin’s innocence after he’s wrongly accused of stealing her mother’s jewelry. There’s a bit of a Keystone Cops feel as Cecilia and her sister plot and scheme to catch the real culprit while keeping Devin out of prison. And during all this, will Devin learn that Society’s idea of the very proper barri ...more
Danielle Carpenter
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story is a comedy and farce. The heroine educates her fiance on her priorities after he has been accused of stealing her family jewels. She helps him escape the runners and then helps him solve the mystery of who stole the jewels. Their are parts that are really funny and in Regency, England can you imagine a nineteen and fifteen year old girl running around London with her fiance. Its a good story if you read it with the idea of a farce.
Barbara
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Book one in the Secrets and Seduction series and I want to read the next one, a well-written story that I enjoyed reading. Cecilia Paring and Devin Montlake's story has suspense, drama, danger, theft, and romance. A book I would recommend. I received a copy of this book through Hidden Gems and I am voluntarily reviewing it.
Ladye Townsend
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It Takes a Spy

A new author for me. Very impressed with the story, the characters, scenery and the storyline. Look forward to reading more novels by this author. Would recommend to anyone who lies historical novels.
Evelyn Derenzy
A fun read!

A rather intriguing story that shows how diligent the "ton" was in making sure their idea of proper manners were adhered to. A marriage takes place between the major characters without any real touching romantically.
Pat
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
The good storyline and the well defined characters grabbed my attention from the very first page and kept me totally engaged until the turn of the very last page! This book was so good that I ended up reading it in one sitting!
Beverly NURBIN
Was disappointed

Well written, but didn't keep my interest. Was able to put it down. Was bored. The sisters interested me slightly.
Ann Marie Curry
Sweet!!

I enjoyed this story. It didn't evoke as many emotions as some stories that I have read but was still very enjoyable.
Nate
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Cecilia & Devin's story. I found it interesting. I'm voluntarily leaving an honest review for a copy of the book.
Carol
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy read

disappointing A bit of intrigue and a bit of action finished with a happy ever after romance. The epilogue teases us into a future budding romance
Gaele
As most historic romances are set in the Regency era, it was nice to find one that was nearly a half-century later, in the Victorian Era. A time of great advancement in England, everything was changing and women were starting to develop a sense of their lives outside the home. With a touch of mystery and intrigue added to the romance storyline, Sheridan Jeane brings the story of It Takes a Spy.

Cecilia is engaged to a rather proper and slightly uptight Devon, a childhood friend now barrister wit

• The Devil's Gift
  • For the Love of a Soldier
  • The Scoundrel Who Loved Me
  • The Reluctant Duchess
  • Moonlight On My Mind (Second Sons, #3)
  • Sweet Revenge (Nemesis, Unlimited, #1)
  • A Bride by Moonlight (Fraternitas Aureae Crucis, #4)
  • An Heir of Uncertainty
  • To Trust a Thief
  • One Enchanted Evening
  • Lady Evelyn's Highland Protector
  • Windward Secrets
  • Lifting the Veil (Veil/Dixon Security #1)
  • The Widow Vanishes (Heart of Enquiry, #0.5)
  • The Beauty and the Spy (Spies and Lovers, #2)
  • My Noble Knight
  • A Shameless Angel (Secrets of the Zodiac, #3)
  • All Hallows' Eve

WIN ecopy of It Takes a Spy…
Book #1 of The Secrets and Seduction Series. Winners selected monthly from new subscribers to my newsletter! Click
here
While growing up, Sheridan was an avid reader. She turned her hand to putting her own stories on paper, and when she it was time to choose a college she knew she wanted to be a writer.
Despite naming their daughter Sheridan because they thought it would look great on the cove

Secrets and Seduction (4 books)
  • Lady Catherine's Secret (Secrets and Seduction, #2)
  • Once Upon a Spy (Secrets and Seduction, #3)
  • My Lady, My Spy (Secrets and Seduction, #4)