Start by marking “A Mind of Winter: Poems for a Snowy Season” as Want to Read:
A Mind of Winter: Poems for a Snowy Season

A Mind of Winter: Poems for a Snowy Season

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  52 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
A beautiful gift book celebrating winter in all its guises
A Mind of Winter collects some thirty of the most moving poems on the experience of winter. Illustrated throughout with elegant period woodcuts, the poems range from the most traditional and formal ( James Russell Lowell's "The First Snow Fall" and John Greenleaf Whittier's "Snow-Bound") to the more contemporary an
Published November 17th 2002 by Beacon Press (MA) (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about A Mind of Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Mind of Winter

Freddy
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, z2018
A winter’s delight of a beautifully produced book, including a rich selection of classics and recent poems, some of them dark, from a myriad of writers. It led me to investigate a few of them. Donald Hall’s introduction is wonderful, and biographical notes appear at the end. The pages are littered with charming winter scene woodcuts as well.
Jennifer Fitzpatrick
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Mind of Winter is a beautiful collection of some thirty poems ‘for a snowy season.’ From classics like Whittier’s Snow Bound to more contemporary poems like Kumin’s Notes on a Blizzard, this gem of a book reminds us that winter is the year’s pause. I enjoyed taking a pause in my daily activities to walk through these poems of the snowy season.
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've been hoping to find this book for some time now. As luck would have it, I discovered a copy on a March day as Winter is giving way to Spring. It is an elegant small collection of winter poems by classic and contemporary poets with some simple lovely woodcuts mixed in. I love Maxine Kumin's "Notes on a Blizzard" (p.45) for its marvelous freshly worded descriptions; the wild turkeys with their "henna feet", deer stripping bark from a birch tree "the way you might string celery." The Sylvia Pl ...more
Mar 05, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm not a fan of anthologies--I tend to like to read through one person's work rather than see it out of context. That being said, this book has some great poems and I loved the illustrations. Frankly, I don't think the illustrator (Thomas Nason) is given nearly enough credit. At the very least they could have given his name on the cover or on the title page (even if he passed away in 1971). A good gift book or a bedside companion for a guest room.
Peggy
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Gerald Gilman; any poetry lover
A delightful little collection of wintery, snowy poems by some of the best and favorites: Robert Frost, Mary Oliver, Sylvia Plath, Richard Wilbur... among others... I actually ordered the book for its beautiful little snowy engravings by a favorite New England artist, Thomas Nason, whose lovely hand-built home I was lucky enough to visit in Old Lyme CT many years ago. I love his work, and his illustrations meld beautifully with the cold, white, crystalline imagery of these poems about winter.
Connie Clay
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This collection of poems from so many gifted poets, is a book I read each winter. I actually leave it out, on my side table, and appreciate this cold, snowy season with each inspiring word. Snow is beautiful. So buy it, and some snowy night, when you are sipping your hot tea, turn your Christmas tree lights on, and open this book, and savor the season and its gifts.
Nan
Dec 25, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Any book that begins with Wallace Stevens should be good. And the intent and design of the book are gorgeous. BUT the collection lacks focus. Longfellow, Dickinson, Bradstreet, and Emerson just don't sandwich well between Plath, Sexton, and Wright.
Nicole
Dec 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Closer to a 3 1/2 and the wood engravings are beautiful.
Tasha
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I usually prefer a book by one poet, but this is a very well-chosen, short and lovely anthology. Some heavy hitters and a few poets new to me.
Jules
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The poems are brimming with snow, as their speakers meditate on loss and death. Swarming with thick white air, this anthology says, "look out at the bleak land from an icy window."
daisy
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned-read
Favorite poets I'd never heard of until this book:

Richard Wilbur - Amy Lowell - Robert Peck - Mary Oliver
Leigh  Kramer
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is my kind of hygge, perfect for reading on snowy, blustery days.
Amelia Hurlburt
Wendy
Nov 16, 2012
Sestearns
Nov 06, 2011
Robert Atwan has been the series editor of The Best American Essays since its inception in 1986. He has edited numerous literary anthologies and written essays and reviews for periodicals nationwide.
More about Robert Atwan...