Start by marking “The Mayor of Lexington Avenue” as Want to Read:
The Mayor of Lexington Avenue

The Mayor of Lexington Avenue (Jack Tobin #1)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  566 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
Jack Tobin is a trial lawyer with a searing-hot reputation in Miami, far removed from his scrappy youth on the streets of New York. But when a young Florida man is railroaded into a murder conviction in the tiny Florida backwater of Bass Creek, Tobin is driven to pay back a debt to his best friend, the boy who once dubbed him 'the Mayor of Lexington Avenue'.

In his efforts
Published January 1st 2007 by Corgi (first published August 31st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Mayor of Lexington Avenue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mayor of Lexington Avenue

Justin Matott
Sep 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A review I did for the Rocky Mtn News

• Plot in a nutshell: In balmy Bass Creek, Fla., a young convenience store clerk named Rudy, with an IQ of 75, bumbles into the life of loose and seductive Lucy Ochoa, hoping to get a little action. She invites him to her house - only to suffer fatal consequences when her jealous lover sees Rudy leaving, slits her throat and skips town.

Police Detective Sergeant Wesley Brume arrives on the scene and, in his haste to make a name for himself, frames Rudy, who ev
Jim
I got about a quarter of the way through this & just gave up. It was too predictable & the reader wasn't doing that much for me. I doubt I'd like it as a regular book, either. I couldn't care less about anyone involved.
Steve
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is told in several parts with character development stories from the past as the beginning followed by the middle and then the end.

Jack Tobin is a lawyer who has made a lot of money mostly by defending insurance companies. He is also an asshole. He has been considering retiring to small town in Florida and is making that move. Before he has though his best friend dies (a friend to whom he owes a substantial debt) setting off a change in Jack. He realizes he has been an asshole most of
Andrew
Nov 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ucbc
This book is a prime example of why I don't read dust jackets.

My favorite aspect of The Mayor of Lexington Avenue was trying to decipher how the two divergent story lines in the first part of the book would come together, and then enjoying how well the back-story given by those first two seemingly disassociated plots gives context to the rest of the book.

Had I read the dust jacket first, I would've already known how they come together and that truly would've lessened the impact of this book for
Mic
Mar 24, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rubbish
This is rubbish. Anyone who likes it has clearly got no critical faculties whatsoever.

There are so many errors and so much sloppy writing in this book it's quite clear the editor simply gave up on it. (Most of the rubbish is in the second half, after the hands had been thrown in the air.)

If you can think critically and logically, follow a plot line and know ANYTHING about the law, you will hate this book.
Joe
Apr 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: John Grisham fans.
Shelves: legal-thrillers
Excellent story, great courtroom thriller. Thouroughly enjoyed this book, really fine debut novel. I will certainly buy future novels from this author.
Marie
May 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good storyline for the author's first book. Takes place in florida, so includes descriptions of the country streams, lakes, etc. that make Florida so tropical!
Judy
Oct 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any mystery book reader
This is one of the best books I have read recently. Sheehan's follow-up to this book is "The Law of Second Chances" which is also a must-read.
Barbara Langlois
Adrian
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A winner from start to finish. It's not often I come across such a novel, one that's got elements of 'Bleak House', 'Huckleberry Finn', 'To Kill a Mockingbird' Al Capone, and even, believe it or not a little of Mills & Boon, but this one does. A very well-written and well-paced courtroom drama. One to treasure. Well done, James, an excellent effort for your first novel.
  • Eye Of The Beholder
  • Magic City (Thorn, #9)
  • The Tenth Case (Jaywalker, #1)
  • The Quick Adios (Times Six)
  • Most Wanted
  • Haunted (Hannah Smith, #3)
  • Hope Conquers All: Inspiring Stories of Love and Healing from CaringBridge
  • Death Wish (Paul Benjamin, #1)
  • One Deadly Night : A State Trooper, Triple Homicide, and a Search for Justice
  • The Judgment
  • Darkside
  • Jimi Hendrix Turns Eighty
  • Bloodline (Jack McMorrow Mystery, #2)
  • Heartbeat
  • The Silent Hour (Lincoln Perry, #4)
James Sheehan was born in New York City and grew up there in a four-room railroad apartment with his five brothers and sisters.

He started working at the age of twelve, shining shoes at a local shoe-repair shop. At fourteen, he had a newspaper round. He worked at a local delicatessen, an antique store where he stripped and delivered furniture, as a construction worker during the summers, a short-o
More about James Sheehan...

Jack Tobin (3 books)
  • The Law of Second Chances
  • The Lawyer's Lawyer (Jack Tobin, #3)