Start by marking “Rumpelstiltskin (Timeless Fairy Tales, #4)” as Want to Read:
Rumpelstiltskin (Timeless Fairy Tales, #4)

Rumpelstiltskin

(Timeless Fairy Tales #4)

When 17-year-old Gemma, a seamstress, is ordered by the insane King Torgen to spin straw into gold or be put to death, she knows her life is forfeit. Unwilling to give up, Gemma tries to escape her prison, earning her the respect of the mysterious mage, Stil. Stil offers to complete the impossible task…for a price.

Greedy and unsatisfied, King Torgen demands more and more s
Published December 11th 2014 by Take Out the Trash!

To ask other readers questions about Rumpelstiltskin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rumpelstiltskin

Ledys
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I would give it more stars if there were more available! What a fun ride this book was, and I got to travel with some of the funniest, truest, most amazing characters I have ever met. All the elements of the original are there, but they have all been expanded upon in such a way as to make the story believable and--dare I say it?-- when I think about Rumpeltstilstkin from now on, I'll only be able to think of Stil and Gemma, and all their out-of-this-world friends. The author's voice was fresh an ...more
Darque  Dreamer
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-reads
Rumpelstiltskin is magical, whimsical, and enchanting! It's a truly beautiful tale for faerie tale lovers! With bits of humor, intrigue, and the power of true love, this one is sure to have you turning the pages!

Ah, do you hear that? That is the sound of satisfaction from another beautiful read! I absolutely adored this version of Rumpelstiltskin! It was full of charm and fascination!

If you haven't noticed by now, K.M Shea is becoming my favorite author! Her faerie tale retellings hold all the b
Jasey
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First off, Gemma is quite possibly one of my favorite female protagonists of all time! I just love her character and how selfless and caring she was despite her seemingly pessimistic, glass-half-empty public image! I'm afraid I'm not so happy about Stil's character though. When he tricked her with "Your first-born child will be mine", I was staring at my Kindle screen and mentally shouting at Gemma, "PAY ATTENTION TO THE WORDING YOU-YOU... You didn't listen to me. That's gonna come back to bite ...more
Cathryn Trinka
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Christina
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My favorite retelling of this fairy tale!

Wow- I didn’t know quite what I was getting myself into when I started this book, but I’m so glad I did! I remember really liking this author’s fairytale retellings, although I had only read the first three books in this series and it’s been a couple years since I last read one. I don’t know why I didn’t keep reading them- they are masterfully crafted stories and I absolutely LOVED this one!

Gemma is such a strong character. I admired and loved her sense
Susan K
romance, clean, stand-alone read
This was a fun retelling of the fairy tale Rumplestiltskin. Very clever re-imagining of the classic fairy tale. Gemma was such a fun character! Determined, clever, loyal, hardworking, and lovely. As she is imprisoned by the mad king to spin the flax (not straw!) into gold, Stil, a Mage comes to her rescue. Their fall is beautiful by small steps, and Gemma has a hard time initially trusting him. As her rescues her multiple times, her heart gradually opens. Two love
Erudessa Aranduriel
And K.M. Shea wins again! This woman never ceases to amaze me with her talent and artistry. She truly is a master at taking the fairytales and spinning them in a unique and surprising way. Her stories are truly magnificent. Yes, this means that this has just become my favorite Rumplestiltskin retelling! :)
Jamie (The Kansan Reader)
My edition: Kindle Unlimited

Pages:236

Series: Timeless Fairy Tales #4

Rating:4.5 stars

Review: Hmmm guess which retelling this is. Bet you'll never guess it.

I don't know if this is my favorite of them so far. It was a good retelling but Gemma wasn't my favorite and Stil was a little lack luster for me. I found at times that Gemma was quite annoying. She continuously kept saying that mages can only like/ love other mages. It was very annoying. She kept rejecting Stil because he was a crafts mage and
Melissa
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This one took me a little longer to get into. I loved it, but the beginning was a little harder for me to love right away. I loved the twists in the story! I love the little changes she makes to this story, this is one of my least favorite fairy-tales and I liked this twist. Gemma was a little harder to love but with her parents you can understand why. Stil stole the story and was a great character. I am loving how each of these fairy tales is coming together to defeat a greater evil. I love how ...more
Kathy Filardo
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this retelling

It had great pacing and also really good supporting characters like Lady Linnea. I loved how Stil got his name and he stole the show with his magic and wit. Gemma was a great match for him and hoping to see more of them in future books. One of the things I liked best were the mages and how their magic worked. I wish there had been more about Stil learning his craft and the mage school or who his parents were. The only thing that bugged me was how handsome Stil was. As a rul
Shruti
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first book that I've read in this series and I'm totally loving this world that the author has created. It is a fantastic book , well written and quite absorbing. This book is really worth reading . I'm sure all fairytale lovers are going to love this world created by the author. All of those amazing fairy tales have been very well connected here.

I highly recommend it !!
Jenny Koch
I love the whole scarily practical girl crosses paths with a rather flighty or unusual mage storyline and this book interwove it into the Rumpelstiltskin fairy tale with great success. Also, kudos to the author for the unusual and funny way the romance panned out.

Time to go give the other books in the series a try.
April
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable tale and addition to the series. However, there are several errors that were overlooked in editing. They do not take away from the story but were very obvious. That said, I am looking forward to reading Book 5 soon!
Lafawnduh!
Ok.
I liked it but found the first half slightly bland.
Both Gemma and Stil were likable characters.
An ok story, but not K. M. Sheas best.
Felita Hardigaloeh
walaupun belum pernah membaca cerita aslinya, tapi adaptasi mba Shea ini bagus...

ceritanya Gemma itu penjahit yg punya sense bagus....tiap baju yang dibuat selalu bagus dan Gemma ini bekerja di keluarga bangsawan plus bersahabat dekat dg putri / lady nya...

cerita ini bersinggungan dg The Wild Swans (Timeless Fairy Tales) by K.M. Shea, moment pas Elise ditangkap dan hasil pengorbanannya dibakar ama tokoh villain,.....di sinilah villain itu berasal, negara Ice Queen dimana sang raja lalim tinggal....

Bakat Gemma ini memang dikenal orang2 di sekel
Jassa
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adore, kindle, fantasy
I need more wonderful retellings of those tales that do not get told often. This would mark the second rumpelstitskin story where the monarch was the villian and STAYED the villain instead of having a change of heart. I have always liked the story, but it didn't quite fit that after all the King did, the heroine WOULD marry AND have a baby with the same guy. Then she would turn against the one who saved her life in the first place. Which put rumpelstitskin as the bad guy. But yeah...that is an o ...more
Alisha
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was So excited when this one came out and it did not disappoint. The author always has a fresh take on fairy tales. Some of you might think of it as "taking liberties" but I like the fresh perspective. The classics told in a modern way. And what's even better is unlike other authors who try to change the stories into something so new you can't recognize it for a fairy tale, Shea always includes the lesson or 'moral'. Not a preachy way or a trite way, but one that leaves you thinking "hm...I wa ...more
Star
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have to say I didn't think i would like this one but I really did. Rumpelstilskin and Cinderella are proly two of my least favorite fairytales and this author has worked MAGIC on them both. These are like brain candy, fun with just enough twisty humor and quirks to make them an original spin on the fairytales. These are not Grimm and they are not Disney, I have to say they are a happy medium and I truly look forward to the next installments. In fact as long as the author swears on her books no ...more
Victoire
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rumpelstiltskin, one of those fairy tales in which you probably remember as the shriveled creepy man who wants your first born child. In this retelling however the tables have turned and rumple is not a creepy lizard like in the TV show "Once Upon a Time" nor is he a short goblin like creature you see in illustrated story books, in fact this rumpelstiltskin is quite the opposite; obviously incredibly handsome, witty, clever, and helpful for the right price. This retelling was amazing I loved the ...more
DemetraP
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I just love this series. The story was so good that I had to keep reading. I loved all the characters. They were all well drawn and had their own personalities.

Rumpelstiltskin's wooing was great. I didn't like how the heroine kept thinking he would never stay with her because he was a mage. He had never done anything to deserve that thinking.

I laughed out loud a few times and just really liked this book.
Jessie
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this twist on Rumpelstiltskin. The king is the crazy one, which makes sense with the whole “spin this straw into gold or I’ll kill you in the morning...now I want to marry you” thing. Rumpelstiltskin is the one who helps Gemma and not in a baby stealing way. If you love fairytales, you NEED to read K. M. Shea’s.
Brittany
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a retelling of Rumples story. Gemma is trapped by a crazy king that wants her to spin gold from straw. A mage comes to her aid and fun times ensue. I enjoyed the read because it was a fun read but I hated the way it ended. Gemma really made the Mage wait for several months to be together?? Really, that was so annoying! Other than that it was a pretty good read.
Rose
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Needs editing

I loved this story. I could barely put the book down. The only problem I had was the editing. There were too many places where autocorrect got the wrong word or poor sentence structure or just plain poor editing. It was distracting.
Teya Peck
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a surprising different take on rumplstilskin. It was enjoyable, weird and totally enjoyable. I love the whole girl power thing. I can't say it enough it pulled me into the story and was really enjoyable clean and interesting.
Edith
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
There is no words how much I enjoyed this book. The relationship between Stil and Gemma, also Linnea and Toril was amazing. I enjoyed every word of it. Their chemistry was perfect, I had so much fun.

DEFINITELY A MUST READ!
Jemma
Dec 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, and this series is becoming very intriguing, I am definitely going to read the 1,2,3 and however many more she makes in the series.
Libby Stephenson
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
Sometimes you finish a book because it is a good book. Sometimes you finish a book because you are stuck in a hospital for 12 hours, and the only other entertainment is your vital signs.
Hollie
This was a sweet fairytale retelling. It's the first rumpelstiltskin retelling I've come across and I enjoyed it. It's a read that could be enjoyed by those of any and all ages.
Emily
Title: Rumpelstiltskin (Timeless Fairy Tales #4)
Author: K.M. Shea
Format: Kindle (Free)

[ Enjoyed ] YES!
[ Last Read ] Finished last night.
[ Reread ] Very likely.

[ Cover Lust ] Rumpelstiltskin (Timeless Fairy Tales, #4) by K.M. Shea No.
[ Intriguing Title ] No. (Was never into this fairy tale.)
[ Interesting Premise/Plot ] Not really. (Ditto above.)
[ Preview Impressions ] Did not preview.

[ Kept My Attention ] Yes.
[ Got Bored / Mind Wandering ] Nope.
[ Skimmed/Skipped Scenes/Chapters ] No.
[ Reread Past Scenes For Fun ] Of course!
[ Reread Past Scenes Caus
Morgan
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Alright, Shea, I can roll with this series if you keep making each story so good!

"Rumpelstilskin" is the fourth segment in the stand-alone-but-best-enjoyed-read-together-and-in-order series "Timeless Fairy Tales". We meet Gemma, who honestly, is a gem. She is quite different from the other heroines in previous books of this series and of just most heroines in general. She's stoic and serious and doesn't wear her heart on her sleeve. She's well-mannered and polite. To those who don't know her wel
  • Prosperity: A Judgement of the Six Mating Novella
  • Beautiful Salvation (Blood Prince, #5)
  • Captive Cowboy (Captured Hearts, #2)
  • The Spinner and the Slipper
  • The Scarecrow King
  • A Midwinter's Wedding: A Retelling of The Frog Prince (The Four Kingdoms, #3.5)
  • Sweet Hell (Greek God, #2)
  • Loch and Key (The McLaughlins, #3)
  • The Harder They Fall (Loveswept)
  • Wolf at the Door (Snowdonia Wolves #1)
K.M. Shea is going progressively bald from pulling all of her hair out when she writes.

She has a BA in Print Journalism and a minor in Japanese. She's worked as a freelance reporter, a librarian, a blogger, and an author. She lives in the country with Perfect Dog.

Timeless Fairy Tales (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Beauty and the Beast (Timeless Fairy Tales, #1)
  • The Wild Swans (Timeless Fairy Tales, #2)
  • Cinderella and the Colonel (Timeless Fairy Tales, #3)
  • The Little Selkie (Timeless Fairy Tales, #5)
  • Puss in Boots (Timeless Fairy Tales, #6)
  • Swan Lake (Timeless Fairy Tales, #7)
  • Sleeping Beauty (Timeless Fairy Tales, #8)
  • The Frog Prince (Timeless Fairy Tales, #9)
  • The Twelve Dancing Princesses  (Timeless Fairy Tales, #10)
  • Snow White (Timeless Fairy Tales Book 11)
“Stil snorted. “I am not in love with Angelique. I’m in love with you,” he said, scooting closer.

Gemma pushed her chair away.
“Well, that’s not proper.”

“Why not?” Stil asked, butting his chair up against Gemma’s.

“Because of the age difference.”

“Age difference?”

“Of course. Surely you can’t be a day younger than fifty or sixty,” Gemma said in surprise.

Stil’s jaw dropped.

“You think I’m an OLD MAN?!” Stil thundered.

“Most magic users are not the age they physically appear to be,” Gemma said.“And it is well known that they age much more slowly.”

“You think I’m an OLD MAN?!” he repeated, his voice even louder.

“I’m not even twenty-five yet, you mean-spirited mule, and my clothes are fashionable among mages!” Stil said.

“This whole time you’ve thought I am OLD?”

“I get the impression that offends you.”

“IT DOES.”

Gemma only lifted her eyebrows.

“Aren’t you going to apologize?” Stil asked.

“For what?”

“For thinking I’m OLD!”

Gemma shrugged. “It seems you have only yourself to blame for that misunderstanding.”

Stil glowered”