Start by marking “Poz (The Lives of Remy and Michael, #1)” as Want to Read:
Poz (The Lives of Remy and Michael, #1)

Poz

(The Lives of Remy and Michael #1)

Remy Babcock and Mikey Castelreigh are stalwart members of the Capital City Rowing Club’s junior crew, pulling their hardest to earn scholarships to rowing powerhouses like California Pacific. Just a couple of all-American boys, they face the usual pressures of life in an academic hothouse and playing a varsity sport. Add to that the stifling confines of the closet, and so ...more
Published January 8th 2015 by Harmony Ink Press

To ask other readers questions about Poz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poz

Rick
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is very hard for me to write an unbiased review not because of how much I did or did not like it. I did like it.
The subject matter saddens me horribly.

(Spoiler Alert:) What I do know is that our country does far too little these days educating young people on the subjects of Sexually transmitted diseases and how to prevent them just by using Condoms. I'm in the same boat as Remy and have been since the 1980's when we knew crap. His catting around for sex is no different than the 80's
John Inman
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dreamspinner Press's Harmony Ink imprint for Young Adult gay novels has turned out some great titles, and POZ is one more example of that. Christopher Koehler is a clever writer. He made me care about the characters. Remy, Mikey, and Remy's twin brother Goff, all rang true as real high school boys. The story kept a high school flavor even while the subject matter was anything but. I'm embarrassed to admit I even learned some things about HIV and AIDS that I didn't know before, and considering th ...more
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
Full reviewage on the Prism Book Alliance - buddy review with Christine!

For Remy and Michael and everyone else like them, and their loving families and friends.

Starting out, the tone and narration are unmistakably those of a teenager. Frenetic, sarcastic and energetic, Remy begins his story and my brain was trying to keep up. <<< Does not mean I’m old! ;)

Not surprisingly, fitting in is a major theme in this book. It gets right to the heart of how difficult it is, how isolating and pain
Chris, the Dalek King
Oddly enough, I had just finished a book by Christopher Koehler, and was bemoaning the fact that I didn’t have any new books of his to read, when I saw this book pop up on our giant list of books that should/could/can be read. So good timing that. :D

This book is basically about Remy figuring his shit out and growing up–-the hard way. He is no stranger to hard work-–because even reading about all the stuff he has to do for crew makes me exhausted–-but like most teenagers he is a bit self-centered
Shelby P
Nov 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
I didn't enjoy this book. I found there was too much telling and not enough showing and because of this it didn't grab my attention. I never cared about any of the characters. Then towards the end I felt the book got a bit preachy. This wasn't my cup of tea.
Martin
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I find it very hard to write a review on this book. On the one hand, it is a high quality young adult novel that deals with HIV infection and provides important knowledge to young readers who might not know a great deal about HIV and AIDS. It shows that life doesn't end with an HIV diagnosis, which is the most important message that you can give people in that situation.

However, I had a little problem with Remy. He came off as arrogant and inconsiderate, hurting his friends whenever he opened hi
Riina Y.T.
This was my first book by Christopher Koehler and I can tell he's a very clever writer indeed. POZ was very enjoyable with an important message. There was a lot of self-discovery, I think, a little family drama and some sweet romance. It all ended on a hopeful note, despite the rather sad topic.

I instantly clicked with Remy and fast cared about him; his brother and Michael too. I admit, I would have loved to have seen more of Michael. Since this is 95% Remy's POV, the short POV jump near the end
Joyfully Jay
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sammy
A Joyfully Jay review.

Jeremy (Remy) Babcock was a sixteen-year old virgin who knew he liked boys and hid all that desire from his family, including his fraternal twin and closest friend, Geoff. Out but not out, Jeremy shared his sexuality just the tiniest bit with the guys on his rowing team, but did not flaunt it and even there it was kept close to the cuff, not to be shared beyond the tight-knit crew. When he discovers that his friend Mikey is also gay, Remy begins to sense mixed sig
Deanna Against Censorship
Emotional read but one that takes a serious health issue and presents better than many other informative pamphlets could. This is because it is told in a believable way about two youths that touch the reader deeply. Others reviewers have expressed this better than I ever could.
Mercedes
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Slow start but great story and I am glad to see there will be a second book.
Ina
May 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Overall a good story, but some things felt quite rushed or like some scenes were missing from the plot.
The reason behind the story, however, is great and I urge everyone to read it because of this. I want more books that tackle this topic respectfully and help educate people.
Noel Roach
Apr 09, 2017 rated it liked it
On the one hand I really liked it, on the other it was merely ok. As a contribution to the Real Story Safe Sex Project with the goal of taking a more entertaining approach to HIV and safe sex education among gay and bi teens and twenty-somethings, it reads more like safe sex for eleven- or twelve-year-olds. Actually there is no sex at all, "real" or otherwise.

Remy complains in the story that he might not have ended up HIV positive, poz, if his father's sex talks were more informative. The Real
Andrea Goodell
Mar 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Remy, a seventeen year old confused young man is at the end of his junior year of high school, when he starts getting feeling for another young man on his rowing team, Michael. Michael has never shied away from his sexuality so knowing that Remy starts guessing he may be gay as well. But Remy family unlike Michael’s will not take kindly to the news that one of their sons is gay, especially his father so he hides this fact. Over the junior/senior summer, after the rejection he felt from Michael h ...more
Marcy  Shane
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Intense, well-written, YA story about HIV.
I really liked Michael and Remy...and the trials and emotional tribulations of youth, discovering who they are, coming to grips with their feelings and emotions, learning to communicate, making terrible decisions, and navigating relationships and becoming adults.
I teared up a few times, sad for Michael, and felt anxious and stressed for Remy many times. But I also smiled lots, and was left feeling happy at the end.
I look forward to more stories about
Alli
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As I work in this field I thought this was such a great book, for the way the message was delivered to the story itself, I have loved all the cal pac books.

Education, education, educatiom, Remy's ideas of HIV are so very common and the rise of diagnoses is showing in the 14-25 age group, they are also the same demographic that are showing increases in other sti's.

This is such an important book for young gay men, I hope they read it and realise they aren't alone.
Lisa
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't even know where to begin... WOW! This book got it right on so many levels. I work in the pharma industry and am currently working on an HIV study so this book addressed so many questions that I often ask myself. Remy reminded me of stories I have heard from my sites about many of their younger patients. I can't wait for more books in this series!
Jenni Frencham
Because of my work on the Stonewall Book Award Committee, I cannot publish reviews or publicly post my opinions concerning any children's or YA book with LGBT themes. I will update my reviews once the 2016 Stonewall Book Awards have been announced.
Bey Raines
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read. For me, a story has to have believable, well-developed characters to draw me in, and that was definitely the case here. Remy especially caught my interest, and I'm looking forward to the next installment.
Jason Bradley
Jan 10, 2015 added it
Shelves: ebook, edb, hiv, m-m, ya
edb
Shaztwirl
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Difficult subject matter, well tackled. I'd make this compulsive reading for high school students, given the opportunity.
mg
Nov 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Van Hardison
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book. I have read all of Christopher Koehler's work and it keeps getting better and better.
Sean Omeidhir
Dec 10, 2014
Brandon Taylor
Jan 28, 2016
Alan
rated it did not like it
Dec 13, 2015
Caitlin
Feb 04, 2015
Regencyfan93
Jan 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Loveblood
  • Don't Judge a Book by its Cover (Most Popular Guy in the School, #1)
  • Distant Rumblings (Lords of Arcadia, #1)
  • The Battle for Jericho
  • Triane's Son Rising
  • Play On (Glasgow Lads, #0.5)
  • The One for Me
  • Fallout
  • The British Devil
  • Picks & Pucks
  • Recipe for Magic
  • Third Eye
  • Spring Affair (Seasons of Love, #1)
  • Us Three (One Voice, #1)
  • Ómorphi
  • Guarding January
  • Choices (Waiting for Forever, #1)
  • Ex Equals

The Lives of Remy and Michael (2 books)
  • All That Is Solid Melts Into Air (The Lives of Remy and Michael, #2)