Start by marking “Creature Comforts” as Want to Read:
Creature Comforts

Creature Comforts

Fall back in love with life in this gripping read about fate and second chances. Izzy has broken off her engagement to her feckless fiancé Kieran and returned to her childhood home – the sleepy village of Halfhidden.

She soon realizes that life in the village is anything but peaceful – for one thing she’s living with her mad aunt Debo and her pack of dogs, and f
Published February 26th 2015 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Creature Comforts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creature Comforts

Start your review of Creature Comforts
Megan Readinginthesunshine
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I always eagerly look forward to Trisha Ashley’s books, and Creature Comforts was no different – I couldn’t wait to start reading!

After breaking off her engagement to her fiance Kieran, Izzy returns to her childhood home, the sleepy village of Halfhidden. Back in her home village, she soon realises that life there is anything but peaceful, and Izzy still has a lot of unanswered questions. When she was a teenager, Izzy was involved in a terrible accident involving various members of H
Natalie TBGWP
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
Being totally honest here, what started out as a book I thought I really would like because at first it had me pulled in with drama, suspicion, and curiosity, totally let me down.

At 30% in I realised that it would no longer be holding my attention, and that I could have told you the ending to the book there and then. I couldn't find a way to connect with any of the characters, especially heroine, Izzy. And what I usually love about books set in remote villages, I hated in this. I tru
Kathryn Laceby
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Originally reviewed at Novel Escapes

Creature Comforts was such a simple title but I found the novel to be very complicated. There were, unfortunately, a vast number of characters and almost every one of them was starting their own business or changing jobs/romantic partners and they all had a parent/aunt/guardian/mad uncle that was mixed up in our protagonist’s search or one of her friends’ lives. At the end of the novel I still didn’t know who everyone was and had no clue which business title
Allie
Nov 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Izzy Dane has returned to her home village of Halfhidden to discover what really happened on the night of a fatal accident she was held responsible for when she was 16. Now,19 years later, can she find out the truth. She is also in the process of setting up a new clothing business, while also sorting out the finances of her Aunt Debo who runs a sanctuary for unwanted and homeless dogs. While some of the villagers are pleased to have her back, those involved with the accident are not.

Angie
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book for the main part but felt the romance went from 0-60 in very short space of time.

The mystery of the accident was good though but the sub plot with Lulu and Guy was again rushed to get resolved
CK
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
I suppose I will probably be in the minority here as it seems a lot of people really liked this book.

Admittedly this is the first book I have read by Trish Ashley and I have heard good things but I am hoping this book is not representative of her usual standard of work.

When I read the cover I do have to say that I did find the story interesting and intriguing. However, I felt the actual story about Izzy and her recovering her memory in regards to the horrific and life changing accid
Kim
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, 2015, net-galley
Izzy believes that she is responsible for a car crash that killed a friend, when she was only 16. Various parts of the memory of that night seem to be coming back to her and when she returns to Halfhidden she is keen to speak to everyone who was part of the interviews and investigations of that evening.
She’s back to her childhood home after breaking up with her fiancé Kieran and is setting up her own business selling clothes inspired by work she’d done setting up self supporting businesses
Adele
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Izzy is 16 and loves living in the small rural village of Halfhidden. On a fateful night the last thing she remembers after waking up from a coma is setting off home from her part-time job in the local pub. She doesn’t remember the accident that killed one of her friends; and she doesn’t remember how she became the one to blame for the accident. Fast forward 19 years and Izzy returns home to Halfhidden following a fallout from her fiancée and from working abroad researching for her new online cl ...more
Damaskcat
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Izzy is returning home to the village of Halfhidden in Lancashire after a stint working for charity in India. She has split up with her fiancé Kieran who expected her to move to Oxford where he is joining his parents' GP practice. Izzy intends to set up an internet business selling her own designs of clothes. Her old friends, Lulu and Cameron are starting their own new ventures too and everything is looking good if Izzy could only find out exactly what happened when she nearly lost her life in a ...more
Anne Harvey
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
After being involved in a fatal road accident as a young girl, Izzy Dane has never really been able to move on. In the hope of laying the ghosts of her past to rest, she returns to her home village of Halfhidden in Lancashire. There, she quickly becomes involved in the Regeneration of the Haunted Village scheme and her aunt's Desperate Dogs Refuge. Having sworn off men, she is more than a little disturbed by the presence of newcomer Rufus. There is a slightly wacky side to this novel, a whole ho ...more
Jenny Schwartz
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I've been describing Trisha Ashley's books as cosy, quirky British reads. "Creature Comforts" is cosy but less quirky than some of her others. It's an easy read where I had no doubts the hero and heroine would get together, but the development of their relationship still had a relaxed charm.

If you're not a dog lover, I'm not sure you'll be as happy as I was with some of the supporting cast -- rescued dogs who need rehousing.

The book was a pleasant meander through village
Verity W
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Oh I do love Trisha Ashley's world. Every time a new book comes out and introduces me to a new part of the corner of Lancashire that she's invented, I want to go back and read all the others again as well.

I managed to control myself (for me) and made myself pace myself - and took three days to read this (I've been known to gobble Trisha's books up in one sitting) and I really enjoyed it. Another set of quirky and fun characters and an interesting and compelling plot.

Now I
MB (What she read)
3/12/15 3 stars first read. Cute. Slow starting and a little more boring than her normal. I liked it, but found myself irritated by the many times law enforcement should have been notified but wasn't. (Okay, it's a cozy. But in reality, things like this are not likely to turn out so happily.)

Reread 11/26/16. I think I enjoyed it a little more on the re-read. Bumping it up a half star.
Nicki Adams
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it
It took a while to get into, well written. Second half definitely more enjoyable.
Anelya
I must say, I was quite baffled to see this book having around a four-star average, but I suppose this book was simply not meant for me. There was not just one, but a variety of things that I did not like about this book. The more I read, the more I tried to look at the frustrating pieces with amusement, and that helped a bit - otherwise there were one or two moments that I did like.

The first and most important part is the general grammatical errors and mistakes that should have been
Joanne
I can't decide whether to give this 4 or 4.5 stars. I think with a second reading then it will go up. I enjoyed this book immensely. It is not my usual type of read at all, but I got it in a 3 for £5 deal and took a punt. I've never read anything from this author before so had no idea what I was going to get.

The truth is that there was nothing that I disliked about the novel. I liked the characters, they were well developed and interesting. I liked the plot. Izzy breaks up with her f
Pippa
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Until it was revealed that Izzy was not wearing a seatbelt I was finding it hard to enjoy this book as much as the previous titles I had read, they may save lives but leave marks across the torso, left to right or right to left depending on which side of the car the individual was sitting. Once this issue had been explained my impression of the story improved greatly. Like the previous books it is a decent portrayal of family and friendship but doesn't quite manage to convey "romantic" love as o ...more
Bronwyn Mcloughlin
Harmless enough, but I had the feeling that it was a barely fleshed out timeline of the plot - the characters were always rushing around the countryside, running businesses, attending meetings, going to the pub. A clear set each of goodies and baddies, and lots of dogs. Very formulaic and fairly predictable fare, which has the narrator Izzy trying to piece together what actually happened in a disastrously fatal accident in her youth, as she returns home to set up a fashion business, recovers fro ...more
Nicola Hawkes
3.5 stars really. This had a lot of promise initially, but I thought there was just too much going on. Too many different plotlines so that in the end it felt a little forced. Still really enjoy the style of Tricia Ashley and her forthright heroines, the community spirit and the locations, but I'd have been happy with fewer intrigues & interwoven stories. Guy was unnecessary, and I felt that plotline was a bit of a parody of emotional abuse, not sure it really did justice to the subject. Not ...more
Karen
This book was a fair read I enjoyed the other one by this author more. Characters and storyline have depth and lots of various stories lines that twist and turn copied with each other and spin off again. I felt at times a little repetitive and able to work out what may happen before it did. But that being said a enjoyable light read that kept me hooked.
Shea
Feb 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ihave
2 1/2 stars really.
The storyline was promising but I couldn't care for the characters. The sentences and the characters' lines were a bit weird too. I thought I'd love it but idk something was missing.
Athina Antoniou
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A puppy dog tale

A truly delightful romantic comedy, with many interesting characters and quite a few dogs! I really enjoyed reading it, just as I have enjoyed reading many of Trisha Ashley's books.
Stacy Adams
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. It’s a very clever story, elements of which will keep you guessing until the end. The characters are larger than life, some you will love instantly, others you will hate. Loved all of the dogs in the story too!
Donna
Nov 07, 2017 rated it liked it
A light read before bed. A young woman is wrongly accused of causing a horrific collision. No matter how hard she tries, she can't seem to remember exactly what happened that night. Of course there are lots of people eager to continue to remind her!
Mary Geraghty
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ghosts and pixies a perfect pairing

This book had it all. What a lovely set of characters, made me want to move th Halfhidden. As a dog lover, it was great reading about the kennels. A darling read🐕🐕
Heather Taylor
Loved it
Claire
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Light enjoyable read... has taken me up n down with work!
Heatherjane Coombs
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great meeting familiar characters from my last book. Really enjoyed the lightness of the book and the slight mystery.
Juliet
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
another brilliant book from trisha
Fiona Bond
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lovely easy read. Would definitely recommend
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Appleby Farm
  • Happiness for Beginners
  • A Summer to Remember
  • The Magnificent Mrs Mayhew
  • A Perfect Cornish Summer (Porthmellow Harbour #1)
  • The Little Flower Shop by the Sea
  • A Gift from the Comfort Food Café (Comfort Food Cafe, #5)
  • Secrets and Seashells at Rainbow Bay
  • A Country Escape
  • Edie Browne’s Cottage by the Sea
  • Sunset Over the Cherry Orchard
  • A Rose Petal Summer: It’s never too late to fall in love
  • A Year at Castle Court
  • Ivy Lane
Trisha Ashley is now a full-time novelist, but she has been known to work for stained glass makers and/or plumbers. She likes to paint, eat, drink, and read literary biographies. Her previous hobbies included getting divorced and packing to move. She claims to have once actually eaten Bronte burgers at the Branwell café, but her publisher declines to verify this. She lives in North Wales.